CP77 sold 13 million copies on all platforms including refunds

+
It is very good news indeed.

Definitely not the time to jump ship for Cyberpunk 2, just more reason to keep to their original plan of improving CP well into 2022 and beyond.

they would be polishing a turd at this point, sorry for the expression. fix the bugs sure, but dont waste resources on any DLC imo, people are already very negative on this game, also all DLC needs to work on xbox one and PS4 imo just skip it, and go CP2 for nexgen systems.

Just goes to show it doesn't matter how poorly you launch your game or how much content you cut or how badly the company is represented, you'll still make a killing.

That's more than double the budget of their game in profit likely after all the retailers have taken their cut in just a week or two worth of sales.

Edit: Honestly, what's the incentive to deliver or not rush a product or release a finished game or not misadvertise?

I don´t think there is any interesst to do "CP 2", the will milk Cyberpunk 2077 with more content first.
Hopefully we get the content what the community wants, but i don´t think CDPR will do this...
The community isn´t that important and the communication is awfully.
We can all have expectations, but they will never get us our withes!

This game will made to the end with modders, not by CDPR itself
and this is hard to say but there is a little bit of truth.

I don't believe there are more than 1-2 millions of refunds. For example last report from Facepunch Studios about Rust was today and in 7 years, Rust refunded 929k people and they sold 9,545,105 copies.

But still if they sold 11-12milions of copies, its real success. Good for them, I can't wait for DLC's.

they would be polishing a turd at this point, sorry for the expression. fix the bugs sure, but dont waste resources on any DLC imo, people are already very negative on this game, also all DLC needs to work on xbox one and PS4 imo just skip it, and go CP2 for nexgen systems.

I'd argue you are within the vast minority here. The numbers certainly seem to back it up.

I'm not one to say the game is perfect, it isn't. It's not what was advertised and the fiasco of the last gen launch certainly hurt them. Yet, the game is a huge commercial success.

Now they've got two choices.

1. They can abandon their game and move on. Further alienating gamers and damaging their reputation even more. Consequently, any future project's sales would be diminished by that. That's the type of shit you can expect from the likes of EA.

or

2. They can follow their original plan. Improve on the game, fix their reputation and keep generating revenue through eventual DLCs and sales that can fund their next projects.

My money is on number 2.

You can disagree all you want, time will tell, but one is a short term solution with potentially disastrous results and the other is a long term solution that will cost you more immediately but give you a higher return eventually.

I'm oversimplifying, but you get the gist of it. Judging from your posts around here, I think we'll just agree to disagree on this.

Some of you seriously even thinking of Cyberpunk 2 when many of us can't even beat the game right now

Fixing the game should be the first priority. And that will take up most of the resources anyways.
By fixing I'm talking ALL the bugs. I'm talking a police system that actually works, police that actually follow you ect ect.
RPG mechanics that actually work and scale properly.

Just adding more story before these fixes is not going to cut it. It is always best to do CP2 with all these systems in place and a new fresh platform that people are not shitting all over.

Fixing the game should be the first priority. And that will take up most of the resources anyways.
By fixing I'm talking ALL the bugs. I'm talking a police system that actually works, police that actually follow you ect ect.

Just adding more story before these fixes is not going to cut it. It is always best to do CP2 with all these systems in place and a new fresh platform that people are not shitting all over.

I'll just copy-pasta my post from another thread.. Personally I doubt they will postpone plans for releasing new content. I think content we saw in the gameplays before release were almost ready, but not 100% ready to put it in the game for release. So I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in next two patches for example NewGame+ or some mechanics we already saw but are not in the game right now.

NCPD chases are already in the game and it's not scripted! Unfortunately it's not working properly at this moment so it's disabled in open world and police just teleporting right behind you. So maybe we can see it very soon if they are working on fix right now.

For example NewGame+ was released to Witcher 3 after 4 months (17. May vs 17. August) and February is 3rd month of Cyberpunk, also it was released between patches 1.08 and 1.10. Patch 1.10 was big performance patch. Another example is very small, but Ballad Heroes gwent card set was released right after game release, so way before game was polished. And don't forget Witcher 3 was unoptimized bugfest too.

So... you are advising the opposite of what they have done with The witcher 3... their most successful game :

1. Fixing the bugs within six months.
2. Improving the game, adding new game + and a lot of stuff and content into the game for free
3. And finally adding stories with DLCs and expansions that were successful and very well received.

Not sure I follow you. For sure for me if they follow the same strategy with Cyberpunk, it wil be good for them, it wil be good for us, it will be good for that franchise. I don't want it to end as a disaster like it happened with Mass effect Andromeda, Bioware giving up on this game while they could have much more improved that game left in a poor state, their biggest mistake.

Last edited:
Yeah, well. 780 000 000 on 13 million copies each costing 60 dollars. That is a lot of money sure.

But the investors has lost on their investments and that is even worse, since CDPR lost about 1 billion or as of now if im not mistaken about 1.8 billion in stock worth. If you bought stocks 2 years ago and sell them now, you would get less back and lose money.

Losing money at a launch of a game this big, those sold copies wont matter. It is a real gamble now for investors to keep their shares. Most investors sold their shares at day one because most knew the stock value would fall harder than the nuclear hiroshima bomb.

I'll just quote part of a previous post I wrote in another thread here since it applies.

A decade ago, I would've said none.

But since then we've had NMS, FF14 and Fallout 76 which all had disastrous launches (I'm sure there are others that simply escape me right now) and they all fixed things. Heck, the original Fallout 76 vision was to never include NPCs yet the community demanded it and it was the only way for the game to survive (and not damage the IP).

FF14 was massive risk, unlike NMS or Fallout 76, the game is an MMO and losing gamers' interest could mean that even after scraping most of the game and rebuilding it there would simply be no one interested in playing it anymore. Today it's the world's second most popular MMO with a monthly subscription, second only to WoW.

Simpler than writing it again.

These games, and I'm sure there are some I can think of or don't know about, have shown that a terrible launch can be redeemed and turn into a success and even thrive from the come back. People love a good come back story.

With CDPR's previous history, again, my money is on them continuing support.

Plus, as madmidder as just conveniently pointed out, a lot of this stuff is surely partially done already. I'm certain most of the things people want exist in some form and just weren't ready for launch.

That's pretty much my view. It sucks what they did with this game, but that's reality. They can take a dump on their consumers, hell, they could get away with not even fixing the bugs. Other companies do. Bethesda has launched 5 games with the same bugs as their Morrowind release despite them having already been fixed and they still get away with it.

This game is a lost cause. You can invest a crap ton of time, add everything that should have been there, improve all the systems, etc all at the loss of profits and time towards their next release, but what's the benefit there? Some goodwill? They just sold more than Fallout 4's entire life cycle despite massive refunds, being pulled from the largest console market and the negative press and reviews.

Cyberpunk 2077 will always be held back by last gen, will always have the burden of its current state, etc. Does it tick me off? Yeah. Do I think it's right? Heck no. Unfortunately that's reality though.

Top Bottom