CP77 sold 13 million copies on all platforms including refunds

+
global top sellers: Cyberpunk in first, TW3, between 30...

CDPR has money left over to pay refunds, fix your game and still offer a lot of content to your community, preferably what your community has been wanting.

This and let's not forget GOG which is a steady revenue stream for CDPR. With the refund figures being released, there is no doubt CDPR has the capacity to improve the game.

-----------------------

People who think it was a mistake to release on last gen need to realize two very important facts.

1- The game's development began way before the PS5 and Xbox Series X were announced. It was always meant to be released on these consoles too. Y'all didn't have a problem believing they could do it back then. These consoles could handle it given that the game is optimized for it. A lot of the systems you seem to think could not possibly run on those old consoles already exists on these old consoles.

2- That's the really big one - If it wasn't for last gen, this game wouldn't have had half the budget it had. The simple fact is the game probably wouldn't even exist if these potential sale didn't either. You think the next gen consoles and high end PC markets are big enough for a 347 million dollars game? Hell no, not even close.

Furthermore, some of the things CDPR advertised were just never meant to be. Who honestly believed there would be thousands of NPCs with dynamic day/night cycle AI? A top tier pc in 2020 would struggle with the computing power necessary for this.

Last edited:
They still haven't issued me my refund for GOG version, waiting to release those numbers before doing all the refunds? :think:

Even if they work on "CP2077 Part 2" or whatever I will be sure not to pre-order the game from them or to buy the game through GOG. Gonna wait for honest reviews, and if it will be good I will buy it, if not I wont.

My trust in this company now, is on the level of Bethesda and Bioware which is very low but not as low as EA or Ubisoft.

Now that they got away with releasing a pretty turd and making bank, hopefully they can work on it and do a
"No Mans Sky turnaround" add features, revamp the broken systems and etc.

This and let's not forget GOG which is a steady revenue stream for CDPR. With the refund figures being released, there is no doubt CDPR has the capacity to improve the game.

-----------------------

People who think it was a mistake to release on last gen need to realize two very important facts.

1- The game's development began way before the PS5 and Xbox Series X we're announced. It was always meant to be released on these consoles too. Y'all didn't have a problem believing they could do it back then. These consoles could handle it given that the game is optimized for it. A lot of the systems you seem to think could not possibly run on those old consoles already exists on these old consoles.

2- That's the really big one - If it wasn't for last gen, this game wouldn't have had half the budget it had. The simple fact is the game probably wouldn't even exist if these potential sale didn't either. You think the next gen consoles and high end PC markets are big enough for a 347 million dollars game? Hell no, not even close.

Furthermore, some of the things CDPR advertised were just never meant to be. Who honestly believed there would be thousands of NPCs with dynamic day/night cycle AI? A top tier pc in 2020 would struggle with the computing power necessary for this.

I agree for the most part... however blaming people (be it between the lines or in the open) for expecting at least SOME of the promised features in the finished game after the better part of a decade of development and two years of highly sophisticated marketing is uncalled for and wouldn't be acceptable in any other industry so why should it be acceptable here? They didn't deliver on 20% of the features wich where prominent in their marketing! That is false advertising and there are laws against that for good reason! Blaming people for expecting companies to adhere to the law? Really now? We are not talking about some scam on the phone here... we are talking about a company wich cultivated an image of pro consumerism for 15 years or more! Telling people that they are at foult for believing that this company would at least try to deliver on those promises is just not acceptable and i strongly disagree with you on this!

How many people realize that from this release we can tell that CDPR don't care about their reputation or their consumer's satisfaction any more? Now they make a lot of sales in spite of the imperfections why are there still people put so much faith into them saying that they would have enough resource to fix the game? Investors don't mind screwing a company, they would make a butt load of money from the company then move their investment to the next target.

I mean.... If a car company advertises a car for 2 years and says its capable of going 0-60mph in 2.3 Sec and when it comes out, its only able to go 0-60 mph in 5 sec, yea people would be mad.

Blaming a consumer for believing in what companies advertise is like blaming a dog for running after the ball even if you haven't thrown it. Faking the ball throw is an equivalent of promising to deliver features you have no desire to deliver.

In the end the consumer believed in what they were told and what they saw and the company is the asshole that catfished them to gain profit.

1.) It was? I bought day 1 on console and aside from some crashes, the game was fully functional. It certainly didn't drop to 10 fps and have textures that took upwards of two minutes to load in. It was also a feature complete game with amazing quests and narrative. The side quests were miles above anything in CP2077.

2.) Tons of other game studios have shown us exactly the opposite of your claim. Call of Duty sold around 80 million copies between their last two releases, which is around 50-60 million more than the two prior, despite being an annualized series with the same stuff tossed in and then abandoned shortly after launch. Plenty of other studios show us the exact same.

Bethesda barely sticks around to fix their games and ditch them every iteration. Hell, they resold Skyrim how many times with the exact same bugs that modders patched out? Literally the exact same game, with the exact same bugs. They still make a killing each launch and people go on to call Todd Howard a "Godd" despite lies and all.

But with EA and Bethesda, you know you’re getting either a serialised game or a buggy mess that is only skin deep.

With CDPR, you should be expecting something better. And you should expect continued support for the game, as you would have seen in TW3. And yeah, the going term for TW3 at launch was “The Glitcher 3”. It had tons of problems.

I mean.... If a car company advertises a car for 2 years and says its capable of going 0-60mph in 2.3 Sec and when it comes out, its only able to go 0-60 mph in 5 sec, yea people would be mad.

Blaming a consumer for believing in what companies advertise is like blaming a dog for running after the ball even if you haven't thrown it.

In the end the consumer believed in what they were told and what they saw and the company is the asshole that catfished them to gain profit.

Look, I'm right up there with you guys on most of the stuff they advertised but the dynamic AI for thousands of NPCs all at once was simply outlandish, I never believed we'd get that.

To use your car analogy. If Acura came out tomorrow and said the next NSX is "gonna be as fast as a space rocket, it's like you're flying!" are you actually going to believe that? Of course not (I hope so), cause it's so damn outlandish. You'll expect the car to be fast but not space rocket fast.

Now there is an argument to be made that if Acura said that and the new NSX couldn't hit 50KM (I USE SMART MEASUREMENT SYSTEM) you've been misled. Which is basically what happened here. They advertised incredible AI and provided one that didn't work and that's not right and they will (I hope) fix it.

The reason I brought up the "Thousands of NPCs AI" thing was not to blame consumers, it was to say that the reason we don't have it isn't because of last gen since even a top tier 2020 PC wouldn't be able to handle it. That wasn't clear in my last post, I agree.

Ultimately, that's what marketing and advertisements do, they embellish things to make you want them. There is a bigger conversation to be had about consumerism and capitalism with that and this is not the place for it though.

So you can wait 10 more years for another half finished game? Then we'd know they had turned into EA. CDPR is going to try and salvage their reputation and deliver a polished cyberpunk and support the heck out of it with DLC and multi-player systems.

The sad truth is the fact they pulled off all these sales partially based on false advertisement, mostly preorders from people who trusted the team to deliver the product they promised. It scares me to see that they made these numbers with the game in its current state, and I can see other game companies following this example from now on.

Cyberpunk 2? Another decade? I don't know man I'm very skeptical about it. Right now CDPR has a lot of work to do in order to earn back the trust of their customers. I certainly am not one to get f****d twice.

I got a high-end rig so I can't possibly imagine the bitter times console players are going through right now. It is only fair that their priority is to bump up the console experience and only then work on making this unfinished game whole.

Look, I'm right up there with you guys on most of the stuff they advertised but the dynamic AI for thousands of NPCs all at once was simply outlandish, I never believed we'd get that.

To use your car analogy. If Acura came out tomorrow and said the next NSX is "gonna be as fast as a space rocket, it's like you're flying!" are you actually going to believe that? Of course not (I hope so), cause it's so damn outlandish. You'll expect the car to be fast but not space rocket fast.

Now there is an argument to be made that if Acura said that and the new NSX couldn't hit 50KM (I USE SMART MEASUREMENT SYSTEM) you've been misled. Which is basically what happened here. They advertised incredible AI and provided one that didn't work and that's not right and they will (I hope) fix it.

The reason I brought up the "Thousands of NPCs AI" thing was not to blame consumers, it was to say that the reason we don't have it isn't because of last gen since even a top tier 2020 PC wouldn't be able to handle it. That wasn't clear in my last post, I agree.

Ultimately, that's what marketing and advertisements do, they embellish things to make you want them. There is a bigger conversation to be had about consumerism and capitalism with that and this is not the place for it though.
I agree with all of this but... Lets say someone doesn't know shit about gaming, they are the casual of the casuals, the king of the noobs, the lord of candy crush and minecraft, the most basic of basics. And you tell them that your next game gonna have "Thousands of NPCs AI" they will probably be like "Oh shit that's awesome, cant wait!" And I kind of was like that, not a casual, but after seeing games like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Witcher 3 or even Ghost of Tsushima I came to realization that we live in a world where gaming is constantly evolving. And I pretty much believed that Cp2077 could be that next revolution.

Yes if Acura came out and said NSX will be as fast as a space rocket I would call bs instantly, then again that is easily taken as a hyperbole EVEN to the people that are not into cars. I haven't met a person gullible enough to believe in something like that, maybe they exist and I just dont know...

I think better example of what happened here would be... you order a pie from the greatest pie restaurant in the world, they advertise it to you as "something you never seen" and "revolutionary" and then you receive a McDonald's apple pie... And then you are like... well shit that was disappointing.

The sad truth is the fact they pulled off all these sales partially based on false advertisement, mostly preorders from people who trusted the team to deliver the product they promised. It scares me to see that they made these numbers with the game in its current state, and I can see other game companies following this example from now on.

I can see other game companies following this example from now on.

Soooooooo, I've got bad news for you....

The reason CDPR had such a pristine reputation is because the other companies have been doing this for much.... much longer

I think that's actually a perfect analogy for what Cp2077 is... Its a McDonald's apple pie that came from the world's greatest pie company. Some people will enjoy it while some will be disappointed at the potential wasted.

When will Steam get with the program and refund my order? I spent 8 hours in game fucking with settings and crashing. Now my save file is corrupted and I have no intention of starting over. What's worse is CDPR isn't even entertaining refunds and has sent me back to Steam to take it up with them, while Steam is passing people back to CDPR. This is a disaster and I hope with every fiber of my being that this studio goes belly up and goes bankrupt. Fuck em.
Post automatically merged:

I think that's actually a perfect analogy for what Cp2077 is... Its a McDonald's apple pie that came from the world's greatest pie company. Some people will enjoy it while some will be disappointed at the potential wasted.

That is the absolute dumbest thing I've ever read.

I agree with all of this but... Lets say someone doesn't know shit about gaming, they are the casual of the casuals, the king of the noobs, the lord of candy crush and minecraft, the most basic of basics. And you tell them that your next game gonna have "Thousands of NPCs AI" they will probably be like "Oh shit that's awesome, cant wait!" And I kind of was like that, not a casual, but after seeing games like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Witcher 3 or even Ghost of Tsushima I came to realization that we live in a world where gaming is constantly evolving.

I'd argue that if you remember an interview from 2 years ago, you're not the casual of casuals ;)

Heck, I didn't remember it myself when I first started playing the game, I only went "what the???" and then found that interview again. And I've been a gamer all my life. It's the only thing keeping me sane ON THIS DREADED BUSINESS TRIP. Just venting.

The casual of casuals are probably the ones saying the game is perfect. Just sayin'

And I pretty much believed that Cp2077 could be that next revolution.

You and me both brother. Sister?

a McDonald's apple pie

Wait, what? That's a thing?

Refund text

Well, yeah, that's because CDPR cannot force Steam to refund. That's entirely up to Steam. They're pointing you to CDPR because it's the easy thing to do.

If you played too much for Steam's refund policy, getting a refund can be anything from difficult to impossible.

Yet, not the thread for that, there is an entire thread for exactly that question.

Honestly, the problems with the game seem to be entirely down to the terrible, terrible management at CDPR. Methinks the real devs (you know, the people actually making the game) ought to take a hint from Cyberpunk 2077 and ... do away with their corporate overlords. “Oust them”, if you know what I mean, and turn it into a cooperative. Those at the top had their fun and their time in the sun but if nothing else this launch made clear that they no longer care about the games first and foremost but merely their own profit (especially since THEY are actually the plurality shareholders themselves).
Anyway, if this were done there is no doubt in my mind that the next game we would get after that, whatever it might be, would top all their previous works. Given the devs’ passion for the craft itself they would actually release it “when it’s ready”, too.

That's exactly the firm I was talking about. It's been discussed at length in another thread, go look for it if you're interested it shouldn't be more than one or two pages away. I'm on my cellphone and it's a pain to find it lol.

The take away is mostly that isn't much to worry about, even less with the games sales being this good, and it certainly won't kill CDPR.

Thank you for this. I really hope CDPR can ride out this storm and give us the intended version of the game in time. And i really need to check things first before i speak my mind. :p

Honestly, the problems with the game seem to be entirely down to the terrible, terrible management at CDPR. Methinks the real devs (you know, the people actually making the game) ought to take a hint from Cyberpunk 2077 and ... do away with their corporate overlords. “Oust them”, if you know what I mean, and turn it into a cooperative.
There are reports and phone calls transcripts that show Devs being mad af at upper management. Wouldnt be surprised if there will be a mass exodus from CDPR... Maybe Respawn Entertainment 2.0? You know, devs split from CDPR and create their own?

Top Bottom