CPU load up to 70% or more with RocketLake!

+

23-02-2022, 18:41:57 Cyberpunk2077.exe
benchmark completed, 40704 frames rendered in 631.781 s
Average framerate : 64.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 52.2 FPS
Maximum framerate : 78.6 FPS
1% low framerate : 45.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 32.1 FPS

This is a video benchmark measured using MSI's Afterberner.
Average framerate is over 60fps. However, however, there are moments when it exceeds 70% CPU usage.
Please watch the video.
What did you feel when you watched the video?
Yes, I did.
The load on the CPU is very high.
Normally, it would be desirable to have a higher load on the GPU, but this is the opposite.
It still needs to be "optimized"!

I don't want to sound rude, but you are comparing apples to oranges and it seems like you [are misunderstanding] optimisation in the first place.

Any game will use the CPU and GPU and direct the computational effort to the hardware which is fit for current purpose. Usually, a CPU is fast for integer based operations while the GPU excels in floating point operations. (Also, the GPU is good at parallel operations, which is why it also performs well in matrix multiplications.) All these operations are needed by any game, or Cyberpunk 2077, to create a playable experience and both processing units are required. (Actually you could calculate those things on the CPU or GPU as well, but let's not go there).

Having 70% CPU utilisation does not say anything about the game's optimisation one way or another. It could be that further optimisation leads to less CPU usage, but it could also be that it is fine. As long as you do not have a look at the source code or reverse engineer the game you cannot make this statement based on the data you gathered.

Yes, I do agree that Cyberpunk 2077 has a "high" CPU usage, but given the city and all the things going on this might be perfectly justified. Furthermore, you are using the Ultra preset with a 1440p resolution so I would assume your bottleneck is the GPU more often than not. (Maybe your minimum FPS could be improved with a better CPU like the 5900X/5950X or the 12900k.)

Finally, it is worth mentioning that the API can also be the culprit, as you can see when you compare a game running DX11 vs. DX12. DX12 allows the GPU to do more work and therefore reduces the CPU utilisation, but this is nothing developers can really influence.

[...]

Edited for tone -- SigilFey

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I have i7-11700K 32GB of RAM and STRIX ROG GTX 1060 6GB and the frames per second without FSR do not work for me, the game should go high already in the city and outside the city at high 60 FPS, especially high and the consumption of the CPU 65% to 70% ROCKETLAKE that game needs one more performance improvement a push that is noticeable and improve both DLSS and FSR the sharpness and frames per second you must improve etc we are going to be a disaster the Cyberpunk 2077 PC

What @Azulath ststes above is on the money. Your CPU useage looks very good for the game. There's more to processing a game than graphical rendering and drawing, and there are often game functions that will run on specific frame timing, like physics calculations. These processes interweave with one another, and they can have adverse affects on the frame rate under certain hardware and operating environment conditions (read, different specs on different PCs with different APIs, different versions of an OS, different driver versions, etc.)

What you're seeing is a pretty wide range of performance variation. Remember that "smoothness" is not a result of high FPS -- it's a result of consistent FPS. Set the upper bar too high, and you're going to feel the drops. Set the upper bar lower, and the game will still feel smooth, the lower performance areas will feel less contrasting, and the PC will retain more performance overhead (often meaning that areas that were causing slowdowns no longer do, as the PC now has plenty of resource available to pull a little more when required.

Your rig is clearly not capable of maintaining 80 FPS. You can get closer if you are willing to drop your resolution a step or two, though this may mean you have to play in a window or cropped screen space. If that's not to your liking, try setting a framecap to 60 or 56. That seems to be a good target based on the data you've provided. The game itself should feel much smoother when moving from high-performance areas into low-performance areas, and you may even see that lower 1% jump up a bit.

This basically means to run CP77 on 100% GPU utilization it takes around 70% of your CPUs raw performance.

It's perfectly fine and works the way it was intended. Nothing to optimize here.

This basically means to run CP77 on 100% GPU utilization it takes around 70% of your CPUs raw performance.

It's perfectly fine and works the way it was intended. Nothing to optimize here.
That's a good way of expressing it.

I mean no disrespect but last I checked max cpu/thread usage is not measuring total cpu usage. It's a different measurement. As a rough translation it means the max utilization on the most utilized core/thread over the monitoring interval. When using monitoring to measure values it's best to understand the context of the value being measured.

Unless... MSI afterburner handles it differently. In that case I'd say the measurement as it's displayed is worded poorly.

sorry for offending but I have to be very serious forgive me for saying it ok if I have the GTX 1060 6GB the recommended one you ask for and that game doesn't run 50 to 60 FPS ok in high quality it's an optimization problem come on it's a total disaster and On top of that, with an i7-11700K, we're going crazy and that requires optimizations. It tells me no and the answer is yes, because if you don't know anything about the game, it's not a problem if the game is well well well well optimized and we wouldn't have that bug problem or big problem

I mean no disrespect but last I checked max cpu/thread usage is not measuring total cpu usage. It's a different measurement. As a rough translation it means the max utilization on the most utilized core/thread over the monitoring interval. When using monitoring to measure values it's best to understand the context of the value being measured.

Unless... MSI afterburner handles it differently. In that case I'd say the measurement as it's displayed is worded poorly.
Hmm not quite sure how Afterburner measure the CPU usage but you can get every single thread up instead so you see each threads usage(if you have a cpu that supports threads that is). Can be a screen filler on a 12-16 core cpu tho but i generaly use both. Also i agree with whats beeing said here, CPU usage aslong as its not 100% should not be a issue(Unless its overheating witch yours isent). Also render latancy/frame time is a better indicator of smoothness.

I use the CET mod in witch you can disable Async compute witch gave me like 1-2% more Gpu usage. I was pretty much pinned at 96-97% now i see 98% most of the time. The differance is pretty much negeleble but if you want more GPU usage it might be a way.

sorry for offending but I have to be very serious forgive me for saying it ok if I have the GTX 1060 6GB the recommended one you ask for and that game doesn't run 50 to 60 FPS ok in high quality it's an optimization problem come on it's a total disaster and On top of that, with an i7-11700K, we're going crazy and that requires optimizations. It tells me no and the answer is yes, because if you don't know anything about the game, it's not a problem if the game is well well well well optimized and we wouldn't have that bug problem or big problem
So, I have a though time understanding your English but the gist of your statement is that the game cannot run 50-60 FPS with high settings on a GTX 1060 coupled with a 11700K, but I cannot understand how you expect an almost seven year old card to run the game. It is just to demanding and it also looks much better than other games.

Otherwise, I could also fetch my Radeon HD 7870 from 2012 and expect it to run 60fps. I'm not even exaggerating that much because this card is closer to your card than your card is to the newest cards available.

So, I have a though time understanding your English but the gist of your statement is that the game cannot run 50-60 FPS with high settings on a GTX 1060 coupled with a 11700K, but I cannot understand how you expect an almost seven year old card to run the game. It is just to demanding and it also looks much better than other games.

Otherwise, I could also fetch my Radeon HD 7870 from 2012 and expect it to run 60fps. I'm not even exaggerating that much because this card is closer to your card than your card is to the newest cards available.

you think I'm stupid because the graphics is whatever year it is, even if it's 2016, hopefully the RTX 2060 6GB hopefully it falls short and late early, you are demanding but it exists for me, it's lazy

you think I'm stupid because the graphics is whatever year it is, even if it's 2016, hopefully the RTX 2060 6GB hopefully it falls short and late early, you are demanding but it exists for me, it's lazy
I was not questioning your intellect in any way, shape or form. I was merely eluding to the fact that the GTX 1060 is an old GPU and you cannot expect it to run arbitrary games at High settings with 60fps. This has nothing to do with optimisations, but the GTX 1060 is not a card where you should put this game on HIGH. I am sure MEDIUM or LOW will work better ;)

Regarding your last point, I agree that a RTX 2060 will do better than a GTX 1060 but I do not know by which margin. However, it also has DLSS which you can use then. Come to think of it, you could activate FSR now on the GTX 1060 to get more FPS.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Regarding your last point, I agree that a RTX 2060 will do better than a GTX 1060 but I do not know by which margin.
the rtx2060 is obviously better than a gtx1060, but it's still not a good card. I think the RX 6600 XT would be a better choice.

Last edited:
the rtx2060 is obviously better than a gtx1060, but it's still not a good card. I think the RX 6600 XT would be a better choice.
Well, neither low nor medium does it get 60 FPS with the GTX 1060 6GB, so let's leave nonsense and more improvements than ultra asks for the RTX 2060 6GB and high asks for the GTX 1060 6GB, okay, I saw RTX 2060 6GB ultra and automatic DLSS 45 to 50 and at most 55 FPS not now it will say that it is old and you eat me where I know
Post automatically merged:

I was not questioning your intellect in any way, shape or form. I was merely eluding to the fact that the GTX 1060 is an old GPU and you cannot expect it to run arbitrary games at High settings with 60fps. This has nothing to do with optimisations, but the GTX 1060 is not a card where you should put this game on HIGH. I am sure MEDIUM or LOW will work better ;)

Regarding your last point, I agree that a RTX 2060 will do better than a GTX 1060 but I do not know by which margin. However, it also has DLSS which you can use then. Come to think of it, you could activate FSR now on the GTX 1060 to get more FPS.
Well, neither low nor medium does it get 60 FPS with the GTX 1060 6GB, so let's leave nonsense and more improvements than ultra asks for the RTX 2060 6GB and high asks for the GTX 1060 6GB, okay, I saw RTX 2060 6GB ultra and automatic DLSS 45 to 50 and at most 55 FPS not now it will say that it is old and you eat me where I know

I'm not sure where you get this idea that meeting the "recommended" requirements for high means an automatic 50-60FPS. It simply doesn't. Not anymore anyway.

Besides, the 1060 is a low end card. You really shouldn't expect great performance with it, it wasn't designed for it. Just like the 2060. If I understand correctly, you're going to get one and then I presume you'll expect it to run the game at 1440p at ultra or with RT on with lower graphics? It sure as hell won't hit a stable 50-60FPS. You already know that. That's just not what the card is designed for.

These low end cards are meant to offer you the basics of their series. Make newer games playable, not offer great and stable performance. If they manages it for some games - awesome! Otherwise, it's a low end card that performs the way a low end card is meant to and you really shouldn't get angry at developers for that.

Plus, realistically, the 1060 is very old and the base 2060 is getting old. Tech-wise they're both old tech. You can disagree as much as you want with this last statement but it is what it is and how it's been for decades now.

I have an i7-9700K running at 4.8GHz, and my CPU utilization in this game has always been 65-90% as I play since release.

When posting on the forums you are required to always be respectful towards everyone. Any kind of inappropriate content will be deleted, and has been deleted.

The usage rate is around 30%.
I think this is very normal for a normal game.
However, Cyberpunk 2077 sometimes exceeds 70% on the 11th generation CPU.
There will be many speculations and ideas.
However, I feel that it uses too much CPU.
I would like to see this reduced to 30% at least.
Bethesda's technology is particularly impressive, in my opinion.
They are professionals in creating "optimized" games.

I am respectful but people take me for a fool as the GTX 1060 6GB is not worth high at 60 FPS because because it is not right I am going to have to sue it, you know, no, but you already make me angry, it is okay if I say that The game is not good, it is not good, okay, but why can I send you videos up to the RTX 2060 and 3060, both are not running at 60 FPS, neither ultra nor 2K nor 4K, it is impossible to make it clearer and forgive me for putting myself on a higher level because I already you touch morality a lot and forgive me for saying so

I'm not sure where you get this idea that meeting the "recommended" requirements for high means an automatic 50-60FPS. It simply doesn't. Not anymore anyway.

Besides, the 1060 is a low end card. You really shouldn't expect great performance with it, it wasn't designed for it. Just like the 2060. If I understand correctly, you're going to get one and then I presume you'll expect it to run the game at 1440p at ultra or with RT on with lower graphics? It sure as hell won't hit a stable 50-60FPS. You already know that. That's just not what the card is designed for.

These low end cards are meant to offer you the basics of their series. Make newer games playable, not offer great and stable performance. If they manages it for some games - awesome! Otherwise, it's a low end card that performs the way a low end card is meant to and you really shouldn't get angry at developers for that.

Plus, realistically, the 1060 is very old and the base 2060 is getting old. Tech-wise they're both old tech. You can disagree as much as you want with this last statement but it is what it is and how it's been for decades now.
The recommended requirements are similar to the minimum requirements but, as a general rule, they are somewhat higher values, in this way, they will guarantee a more fluid operation of the software on our computer.

The recommended requirements are similar to the minimum requirements but, as a general rule, they are somewhat higher values, in this way, they will guarantee a more fluid operation of the software on our computer.

Let's see if we learn better that way, well, we learn a little that way

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom