Crafting Glyphs/Runestones- bug or intention?

+
Crafting Glyphs/Runestones- bug or intention?

As you can easily see, there are actually two types of each glyph/runestone level (lesser/normal/greater). First type can be found in some containers (each level- the higher the more rarely) and the second can be crafted using certain ingredients for lesser level and combining two CRAFTED lesser into one normal, two CRAFTED normal in one greater. The question is, why is it impossible to use glyphs/runestones which are found as crafting material- is this intentional or a bug? If it is a bug are you guys at CDP looking into it? In case it is intentional then it should be changed (imo) because the amount of materials needed to craft a single greater glyph/runestone makes this way of obtaining them nearly useless (I will rather pay several thousands of crowns than farm all those materials, so far I have crafted 1 glyph- second playthrough, more than 200hours played time).
Official answer would be greatly appreciated (as well as community opinions).

It's weird. For me I'm only facing two types of lesser Quen runes. One have 2% the other 5% increase. All the other runes are 2%. It's only for Quen in my case. oO The 5% one is uncraftable. Anyways I manually made a few lesser quen runes using diagram and upgraded em to Greater ones to fill my armor set. Money is not a problem in this game lol....

Last edited:
I'm also curious about it being a bug. I think it is. I blew all my money to make a Greater Igni Glyph early in the game. And I had a bazilion of Lesser ones which I couldn't use in the process.

And I think the crafting of lesser, normal and greater ones must've changed in a recent patch. Before that I'm pretty sure you couldn't craft the normal ones. You'd just put 3 lesser ones together and form a greater one. And You could use ones you didn't craft.

I like that now we need 2 lesser ones to make 1 normal... and 2 normal ones to make one greater. It makes the proccess more gradual and a little harder. I just wish we could use the ones we find, otherwise they almost useless, except for very early in the game.

Another weird thing was that on my first playthrough a bunch of people on Ard Skellige sold the greater glyphs. Then, all of a sudden they stopped selling them. I had to buy the lesser ones and join them to make the greater ones. And at least I could do that... now we need to craft the lesser ones, which is very expensive if you need to buy all the ingridients.

Last edited:
5% increase is normal rune, 2% is lesser. Both of them can be either found or crafted.
No, the 5% LESSER GLYPH OF QUEN cannot be crafted neither upgraded. I can't explain better, just look at the pic.

Attachments

• witcher3 15-06-2015 21-59-25-595.jpg
    witcher3 15-06-2015 21-59-25-595.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
To add to the confusion, there are actually 3 different types of runes, not just two.

Type A - call these the "normal" runes you can use to combine in crafting / upgrades

Type B - same name as Type A, but easily differentiated because different stat (e.g. 2% rune vs. 5% rune with same name) - can not be used to combine in crafting / upgrades

Type C - same name as Type A - AND - same stat. These are the most confusing because unlike above, they have the same name and same stat - 2% lesser morana for example. These also can't be used in crafting / upgrades.

So basically, there is one type that you can use for crafting, and two different types (same name, different stat - same name, same stat) that you can't use in crafting.

If it were merely two different types with same name but different stat, I could go along with the intended design theory. But since there exists the 3rd type with same name, same stat but can't be crafted with, I lean heavily towards unintended bug theory

The confusion is actually bigger. In one version of the game, the lesser and normal ones were mixed up. They fixed it in a patch and started calling the stronger lesser ones "normal" (neither lesser, nor greater). This patch also change dthe crafting rules. You can no longer make a greater from 3 lesser ones.

So, if you see the 5% ones called lesser, I guess your patch is outdated.

Last edited:
The confusion is actually bigger. In one version of the game, the lesser and normal ones were mixed up. They fixed it in a patch and started calling the stronger lesser ones "normal" (neither lesser, nor greater). This patch also change dthe crafting rules. You can no longer make a greater from 3 lesser ones.

Pretty much this, however the question remains... are the current crafting rules working as they were intented to,and if not can we hope for a fix? Looking for staff reply.

I'm using the patch 1.06, the lesser quen glyph 5% is right there.
That pic was taken with the 1.06 patch already applied. So confused. oO

I think I know what's the case. Instead of correcting the actual items they added new ones, for some technical difficulties they couldn't change the actual ones which are 5%. Maybe that's the case. Go figure.

Last edited:
Not only is the crafting of glyphs severely broken, but so is the stacking of them in the stash. The entire glyph crafting and gylph stacking in our inventory stash has to be re-worked / fixed.. in my opinion.

Top Bottom