Crash o' rama

+
Crash o' rama

Great game, but it crashes all the time. I have patched to 1.2, and still experience more crashes than is acceptable. The vast majority of these at load screens. Again this a great game, I enjoy it very much but the crashes are ridiculous.Vista UltimateIntel e6600EVGA 680i2GB RAM8800GTX150 GB RaptorX-Fi FatalitySamsung 245BWI am also running at 1920 by 1200.Any suggestions, thanks.

Are you running Vista 32-bit or 64-bit (and did you apply the recommended updates)? Have you done the usual driver updates and/or rollbacks? How about shutting down everything running in the background, including unnecessary services, disable your net connection, etc, to make sure that there's nothing else that might be interfering? Just some things to try while waiting for more responses.

Are you running Vista 32-bit or 64-bit (and did you apply the recommended updates)?32 bit, and fully updated.Have you done the usual driver updates and/or rollbacks? All drivers updated, not sure about the chip set, just read a post on that. I will check to see and update if needed.What rollbacks??How about shutting down everything running in the background, including unnecessary services, disable your net connection, etc, to make sure that there's nothing else that might be interfering? My system runs with minimal services or applications running.Just some things to try while waiting for more responses.I really like the game so I hope ATARI comes up with a solution.

Greetings, I follow Xantom.Great game but with Patch 1.2.0.1160 i have a dramatically increase of crashes to the desktop. That reduce the fun of the game and at this patch level of the game i will rethink to play the game again.With the Patch 1.1a i had a very,very rare number of crashed, but now permanently. At Act 4 mostly in moving to other zones, now in Act 5 also during gameplay f.e. at the fights on the way to Old-Wyzima (at the beginning of act 5).Sometime i have also crashes if i try to save a game. This is really fatal.OS: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PGMemory: 3326MB RAM ( 2x 2GB Corsair RAM)Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB)Sound: Creative SB X-FiDirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)Found a missing translation:The Quest Free Elves at the end of Act 4 ist not translated in the german language version and still in english

Xantom said:
Are you running Vista 32-bit or 64-bit (and did you apply the recommended updates)?32 bit, and fully updated.Have you done the usual driver updates and/or rollbacks? All drivers updated, not sure about the chip set, just read a post on that. I will check to see and update if needed.What rollbacks??How about shutting down everything running in the background, including unnecessary services, disable your net connection, etc, to make sure that there's nothing else that might be interfering? My system runs with minimal services or applications running.Just some things to try while waiting for more responses.I really like the game so I hope ATARI comes up with a solution.
Dont wait for Atari, Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !EDIT: Same for you Emporeo

Thanks for your replies.This is what I did, it is posted elsewhere as well. It seems for now to have done the trick.This is for Vista users I believe.Control Panel -> User Accounts ->Turn User Account Control On or Off.Untick the box which say: 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to helpprotect your computer'.rebootFrom the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800Then you must reboot your computer.Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> disk drives -> doubleclick on your(s) hard drive ->policies -> Remove check for Enable WriteCaching on the disk.I just played for about an hour, a little less. 25 load screens,10 quick saves, I 'm still paranoid.0 crashes. This many load and saves would have resulted in a minimum of 10 crashes previously.Not sure any of this is true but after doing the above tweaks, the game seemed to run smoother, but the save and load screens seemed to take more time, but not significantly more time.Again great great game, but poor poor QA, almost inconceivable this could be released in this condition.

I really enjoy the game as well from what I was able to play. but the crashes are ruining it. I waited on getting this game so that it would have a few patches so I don't know how the other patches performed. Sadly I crash after every conversation that goes past a few screen changes. I can even replicate them. Since this game is driven by those great conversations that even though I can just save and reenter the game after each one, I fear that I will grow to hate the game so I have ended up shelving it until further patches.

i played a little tonight and some things came into my mind:-i saw that while loading/saving my DVD was lighting up, that means that Tages, the protection software, is checking my disc-i've played ok while having SPTD 1.53 installed, and i even did an update to 1.55 tonight, without issues-i know from others on this forum that removing the disc while playing will crash the game (i presume the game will crash at the next loading/saving event either automatic or made by the player)-many players complain that the game crashes while loading/savingso in conclusion: since no one will remove the disc from his drive while playing, it means that something else might be preventing Tages from checking the disk, and that something else i think it's the DVD drive itselfwhy do i think this: the drive while not in use will "spin down" that means the disk will not be spinning in the drive (you'll notice that the light will not flicker, and the noise will be gone)but, when some application needs to checkout the disk (the witcher in our case) the drive must spin up the disk again until whatever data Tages needs to read is accesiblewhile this does not look like it could be problematic, different drives have different "spin down times" (the time passed not in use when the drive decides to spin down) and different speeds while the disk is spinned back up, and it could be possible that maybe Tages is not waiting long enough for the drive to spin up the disk, and just quits (crashes the game) thinking that no disk is in drive.this means that maybe you can save/load without crashes if you do it pretty often... like once every 10minutes or something, but maybe playing without a save/load for a long time, say more that 20minutes, at the next save/load moment the disk is not spinned up quick enough and you get a crashthe spin down time can be set up by a tool like Nero DriveSpeed (maybe one can try te make this spin down time a little bit longer, i have an LG GSA-H10A with firmware for GSA-H10N, and Nero DriveSpeed says its' spin down time is 2minutes, and i did not have any game crashes)but Warning: a longer spin down time can shorten the dvd drive and the dvd disks' lifetime, not to mention the noiseunfortunately the spin up time depends on the drive and i, for one, didn't find any tool to tweak it(sorry, i've posted this into several threads, since many new forum users that have crashing problems keep making new threads on mostly the same subjects)

Thank you will do it tomorrow.
Mobidoy said:
Mobidoy said:
Dont wait for Atari, Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !EDIT: Same for you Emporeo

same here, runnin the game on XP SP2, all up to date..athlon 64 3500+; 2 gigs of DDR3 corsair, ATI 3870HD, audigy 2ZS..game work on 1920/1200 full details, including AA, etc ;DBUT, yeah, there's a BUT; :-\ game keep crashin randomly on loading screens.. i seen also that this crashes happend when the protection do a check on DVD..so, no doubt, it's this complete bull*** of protection that make all goin bad... :'(devs, do same as THQ done for supreme commander forged alliance, when they received feedback of issues with this stupid protection, they created a patch killing it, and makin possible to play without the DVD...if you're scared about piracy, be smart, and be more scared about real customers... or, maybe next time we will see your staff on a game we will avoid to buy it, just download it, cause we will know that we will buy a game not workin at all, ???we want this patch, we paid the game for play with it, not beein hostages of your problems with pirates..(this game is amazing, nice job done, don't do such mess with your stupid PROTECTION, KILL IT!!!!)i don't use, never used any virtual drive program like acohol and daemon tool... but start to think about it.. you know what i mean? ]:->

sukurnanghaa said:
same here, runnin the game on XP SP2, all up to date..athlon 64 3500+; 2 gigs of DDR3 corsair, ATI 3870HD, audigy 2ZS..game work on 1920/1200 full details, including AA, etc ;DBUT, yeah, there's a BUT; :-\ game keep crashin randomly on loading screens.. i seen also that this crashes happend when the protection do a check on DVD..so, no doubt, it's this complete bull*** of protection that make all goin bad... :'(devs, do same as THQ done for supreme commander forged alliance, when they received feedback of issues with this stupid protection, they created a patch killing it, and makin possible to play without the DVD...if you're scared about piracy, be smart, and be more scared about real customers... or, maybe next time we will see your staff on a game we will avoid to buy it, just download it, cause we will know that we will buy a game not workin at all, ???we want this patch, we paid the game for play with it, not beein hostages of your problems with pirates..(this game is amazing, nice job done, don't do such mess with your stupid PROTECTION, KILL IT!!!!)i don't use, never used any virtual drive program like acohol and daemon tool... but start to think about it.. you know what i mean? ]:->
DOnt copy and paste the same message over and over !! unofficial warning

"From the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800" how do i open that up, i followed everything else till i got there :dead:

First off, I love this game. Yet I too get a lot of crashes in this game - my only real complaint with the game so far. In Act I & II it happened not very often, but now that I've hit Act III it's happening regularly. I have Vista 32 bit and have windows updates, updated drivers, etc... Now I'm not going to jump through hoops messing with commands and stuff to try and get this game to run better, because I shouldn't have to having purchased it and considering my computer is above the minimum requirements. So I'm just hoping a future patch can do something to remedy these annoying crashes that I and apparently many others are experiencing. :-[If you dont want to do those, maybe you should go on Microsoft website and complain that they used too safe settings preventing your system to work in perfect state !

Gannon said:
"From the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800" how do i open that up, i followed everything else till i got there :dead:
This is assuming you have Vista1. Click the start/windows icon in the lower left hand corner.2. Click and place your cursor in the "Start Search" field.3. Type "cmd", without quotes.4. Push enter.5. Copy and paste, or type this exactly at the cursor in the black screen that popped up:BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 28006. Push enter, and your done.

Top Bottom