Crashes all the time - AMD Driver Timeout

+
Hey there,

when the game came out, I could play the game all night long.
But after the first or second patch of the game, i can't play the game longer than 1-15 minutes.

AMD driver timeouts all the time.
  1. I reinstalled windows
  2. Reinstalled the game
  3. Latest AMD drivers
  4. Latest BIOS
  5. Resetted to default game settings
  6. Memtest says RAM is fine
  7. XMP enabled
  8. No Overclocking, undervolting, etc. - all defaults
  9. Disabled Ryzen saving energy mode - Enabled High Performance
  10. I searched the whole internet
  11. I invested too much time into this

Sometimes the game even crashes on startup before the main menu! wtf.
Should mention that ALL other games run nicely. I mean, CD Project. - your game was not in a good condition when it came out.
But today i think this game should run a average PC.

Any hints or ideas are very welcome. :)

My specs:
Windows 10 (all updates)
AMD Ryzen 5600X
AMD RX 5700 XT
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4
650W

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Flash your BIOS, enable the XMP profile for your DRAM

If game is not installed on C, add an exception for Cyberpunk 2077 in the Data Execution Prevention in the Windows settings.

2x8GB RAM (1066Mhz - G.skill)
This seems wrong.

If you think this is a bug, please report it here and send them your dxdiag file:

However, you should also consider the possibility that your hardware might be at fault. Either you are overclocking/undervolting it or it might also be defect. CP2077 is a rather demanding game and picks up quickly on errors.

As a short anecdote, both 3D Mark Port Royal and 3D Mark Time Spy Extreme passed flawlessly, while CP2077 crashed within 5 minutes.

I've had some issues with windows update supplying AMD drivers that break drivers downloaded from AMD website. Probably a case of older drivers trying to overwrite newer ones as I'm always bang up to date. Maybe this could be a source of your issue. A look in the event viewer may be able to tell you more.

Will try that tomorrow. Thanks. Bios is latest.

Either you are overclocking/undervolting it or it might also be defect.
No OC at all. All defaults. CPU and GPU. Checked RAM with memtest. Zero errors.

CP2077 is a rather demanding game and picks up quickly on errors.
Game run well for me, when it came out. But ofc, something could be still broken. But strange only CP has problems then.
I've had some issues with windows update supplying AMD drivers that break drivers downloaded from AMD website. Probably a case of older drivers trying to overwrite newer ones as I'm always bang up to date.
I did a fresh installation of windows and downloaded latest drivers. Had the problem with older and latest version.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think you're running out-dated DDR3 memory. For the Ryzen 3000 or 5000 series in combination with demanding games like Cyberpunk, you need 2x8gb DDR4 3200 or 3600, Samsung B-die!

Also, a ryzen 5700X does not exist. You probably mean 3700X, 5700G or 5600X.

You probably mean 3700X, 5700G or 5600X.
Oh sorry, yes: 5600X.

I think you're running out-dated DDR3 memory. For the Ryzen 3000 or 5000 series in combination with demanding games like Cyberpunk, you need 2x8gb DDR4 3200 or 3600, Samsung B-die!
But why the crashes on startup of the game when even no 3D data is loaded inside the RAM?

DC9V

Forum veteran
Oh sorry, yes: 5600X.
No worries :) Nice CPU by the way!
But why the crashes on startup of the game when even no 3D data is loaded inside the RAM?
Your computer moves the game information it will need to the (D)RAM in order to quickly load it. If it's not configured properly, the system will crash. I actually don't know exactly how all of that works but I think it's the mismatch between the infinity fabric clock and the memory clock which is probably causing your issue. When DDR4-3200/3600 is installed, you can set the infinity fabric to 1800MHz, so the memory clock (3600mt/s / 2 = 1800) and the factory clock run at a 1:1 ratio which will minimalize latency and provides optimal performance with AMD's automatic overclocking technique called Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO).
Edit: I meant infinity fabric clock, not factory clock.

Last edited:
XMP was disabled and i tried it with enabled. Crashed during the main menu loading screen.

AMD's automatic overclocking technique called Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO).
I didn't know about that. I read a little about PBO and stuff and it seems more like optimization for me, rather than stability related. But I was thinking about upgrading my RAM anyway, because prices are good atm.
So maybe I will. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Also, a ryzen 5700X does not exist. You probably mean 3700X, 5700G or 5600X.

Outdated DDR3 memory? That is not possible as that CPU is made for DDR4.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Outdated DDR3 memory? That is not possible as that CPU is made for DDR4.
Well, DDR4 is basically a modified version of DDR3, but DDR4 clocks higher so it's indeed better suited for his CPU.

I read a little about PBO and stuff and it seems more like optimization for me, rather than stability related.
Compared to manual overclocking it's safer, and could lead to more stable results.

What's your motherboard, by the way?

Well, DDR4 is basically a modified version of DDR3, but DDR4 clocks higher so it's indeed better suited for his CPU.

Compared to manual overclocking it's safer, and could lead to more stable results.

Better suited? He can only use DDR4. Btw, DDR4 is basically a very modified version of the original DDR memory released in year 2000.

btw. I just upgraded to Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 but the issue still appears.

A MSI B450 Gaming Plus.
I know it's a bit outdated due PCIe3 but still does his job. I mean, everything else runs nicely!

DC9V

Forum veteran
btw. I just upgraded to Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 but the issue still appears.
Sorry to hear that!

Other ideas:
  • Did you try to launch the game directly by clicking the .exe in the installation folder?
  • Is your GPU actually sitting in the x16 slot? :D
  • Do you use two dedicated PCIe cables in total for your GPU and are both of them separately connected to the PSU?
  • Did you check other system temps like chipset and are the fans on your GPU actually spinning?
  • is your DRAM single ranked and are the sticks placed correctly in a dual channel configuration, if your motherboard has a daisy chain layout? (check your motherboard manual for details, and check buildzoid on Youtube for more information.)
  • Are you running a bunch of SATA drives that potentially limit your motherboard to PCIe 2.0? (check motherboard manual for details)
  • Did you try to cap FPS at 240 or lower?
  • Did you check the health of your GPU with apps like GPU-Z ?
  • Did you try to uninstall old drivers by using Guru3d DDU and have you clean-installed the AMD driver afterwards in Windows safe mode?
  • If you're using a riser cable for a vertical GPU installation did you try to remove it and install the GPU conventionally ?
  • A MSI B450 Gaming Plus.
    I know it's a bit outdated due PCIe3 but still does his job. I mean, everything else runs nicely!
    You said you wanted to try flashing the BIOS, so did you flash your BIOS or did you update it?
    If the BIOS has the latest version but has been installed as a normal update, try to flash it again with the latest BIOS version. (After flashing you need to re-enable the settings: FCLK 1800, XMP profile1 or DRAM at 3600mt/s, everything else on AUTO.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom