Crashes/Freezes in Shop and in-game

+
@REMY.OSTERREICH Hey, man, sorry, I didn't check the forums for a while... Yeah, it's probably my GPU - it's in the same trash tier as yours - an AMD Radeon HD 6670. And after reading your post, I went and checked out the differences between the minimum GPU, mine and yours... And from what I can see the specs are pretty much the same. Like you said, it's probably related to its architecture.

However, the support guys I corresponded with never mentioned anything even though they had my DxDiag report, which obviously included info about my graphics card. All I got in the end though, after exchanging several emails, was the usual "we're still looking into it".

Instead of asking me to send them multiple files and logs it would have been way easier and simpler to just tell me that my GPU is unsupported, so I'm honestly unsure what I should think.

Though after seeing the performance fixes on the latest TB patch, I can only hope we'll get the same for Gwent, as Support has been silent for almost two weeks now.

contacting support is still the best thing to do
Tell me how is it the best thing to do if support doesn't even answer/contact us? At this moment (roughly a month since GWENT is unplayable on AMD) support can swim in the sea of AMD logs. What bothers me the most is that CDPR doesn't even (publicly) recognize the fact that the whole AMD population of players is basicaly cut of from the product as a result of the End of Jan. Patch. Many of us have spent real cash on GWENT/on Thronebreaker to support GWENT's developers even if we don't need the whole single player thing. That's something to think about, isn't it?

I understand that this is a frustrating technical issue. However, just because it can take a few days until CDPR support is able to respond, doesn‘t mean they won‘t look into the issue. I‘m optimistic there will be a solution.

I got an answer from the support and sadly it is not good news. They don't plan to change the blur effect that causes crashes because the side effects only affact minority of the userbase. They suggest me try the game on an another pc.

I got an answer from the support and sadly it is not good news. They don't plan to change the blur effect that causes crashes because the side effects only affact minority of the userbase. They suggest me try the game on an another pc.
...or uninstall GWENT I suppose? Thank you for this message. Good to know. Can you please post this info on reddit? I ask you because you are the first person who tells that CDPR made it clear about what exactly caused the constant crashes on AMD since Jan. patch. Many of us, AMD users, are visiting reddit and forums on a regular base in a desperate attempt to simply understand what's happening and should we wait for the AMD Patch anytime soon/at all. Your post on reddit will save a lot of nerves to all players affected by the AMD blur problem. Also it will be a clear sign that affected AMD users should not spend more real money on CDPR. If CDPR consider us a minority they can neglect, this wont hurt their business because we're too small a group to matter at all.
Post automatically merged:

I understand that this is a frustrating technical issue. However, just because it can take a few days until CDPR support is able to respond, doesn‘t mean they won‘t look into the issue. I‘m optimistic there will be a solution.
I mean, now what? Support basically ask us to uninstall Gwent and Thronebreaker (same problem during Thronbreaker battles). Since Slama "came to power" I really want Gwent to grow, but this "please, uninstall" attitude just shows the other side of CDPR as a business project.

Last edited:
Well, I have looked throught the forum, there is a lot of people with the same problem: crashes since the january patch. All of them use ATi / AMD GPU. Looks like the new blur effect causes crashes purely on ATI / AMD gpus (except AMD cards based on architectire GCN or higher, in my opinion. My HD6770M is TeraScale 2, which came before GCN). There is less of us, who uses such prehictoric graphics cards, I'm afraid that there will be no fix :(
This topic seems interesting for me.
I'm playing gwent on my xbox now, works just perfect. Unfortunately, I don't have my collection there, I'm just like a pure novice.

IDK, I asked Burza about performance fixes for next patch and he said there will be some. They also mentioned it on the devstream, with Slama also mentioning the blur effect getting optimized. Hopefully said fixes will make the game playable for us.

As much as I enjoy Gwent, it is pretty much the only game I play, so I honestly can't justify getting a 'gaming' PC just for a couple of hours of fun a day. It's also pretty funny I'd played through the entire TW3 (although on low settings) without issues, on this same PC, which is a AAA game, while this is a card game...

@REMY.OSTERREICH Also, interestingly enough, installing ReShade on Gwent (with no modifications/presets) allowed me to not only open my kegs, but play as normal for one whole session (about 2h). After that, it just resumed crashing as normal, lol.
It's like some kinda magic.

Last edited:
interestingly enough, installing ReShade on Gwent (with no modifications/presets) allowed me to not only open my kegs, but play as normal for one whole session (about 2h). After that, it just resumed crashing as normal, lol.
It's like some kinda magic.
The blur virus was able to adapt to the ReShade environment =)

...ReShade on Gwent... After that, it just resumed crashing as normal, lol.
Just tried ReShade (w/ and without modifications/presets). Nothing helps. But man how clear and bright gwent became w/ light preset from reddit! I don't have to break my eyes anymore! For people who want the preset and instructions just google "gwent reshade reddit". You may even want to tone done the brightness of the preset. NG backgrounds (also mosaics) are no more coloured in poo. WOW!

Last edited:
Like they said before, they won't remove or fix the blur effect. That's why game still keeps crashing. We are in the minority sadly. I uninstalled game weeks ago after they told me that.

I did not have any issues with the previous version. Once homecoming came out I regurlarly Dced after the match finished so I wasnt that frustrated. I took a break from Gwent for 5 months and now Im getting constant DC, also during the match. It reached the boiling point now when I Dced 5 times ina row when I tried to open my kegs. The window to open my kegs never opened, it just freezes. Any advice?

You can try some of these (copied from this forum).

1. Disable your virus protection software / firewall.
  2. Remove/disable all third party overlay applications (e.g. FRAPS, RivaTuner).
  3. Try a verify / repair through GOG Galaxy and ensure Galaxy itself is up to date.
  4. Install / repair redistributables that come wit the game (DirectX, Visual Studio, etc.).
  5. Be sure the game is not installed under Program Files or Program Files(x86) and set up the .EXE files of Galaxy and Gwent to "Run as administrator".
  6. Disable the Galaxy overlay, in the options menu (only for debugging; it should be enabled for buying kegs and inviting friends).
  7. Close all background applications, especially Chrome (and other resource-consuming apps).
  8. If that doesn't work; try to reinstall the game and manually remove the following folders (back up your Thronebreaker save games before that!):
    1. "C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\Local\Temp\CDProjektRED"
    2. "C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\LocalLow\CDProjektRED"
  9. If this doesn't fix things, run a dxdiag with the 64-bit option selected and send the results to CDPR Support along with a brief description of the issue.

Helped me when I couldnt buy starter pack, because GoG Galaxy couldn't connect.

Edit: If that didnt work, you can also try reinstalling/upgrading GPU drivers.

Last edited:
You can try some of these (copied from this forum).

1. Disable your virus protection software / firewall.
  2. Remove/disable all third party overlay applications (e.g. FRAPS, RivaTuner).
  3. Try a verify / repair through GOG Galaxy and ensure Galaxy itself is up to date.
  4. Install / repair redistributables that come wit the game (DirectX, Visual Studio, etc.).
  5. Be sure the game is not installed under Program Files or Program Files(x86) and set up the .EXE files of Galaxy and Gwent to "Run as administrator".
  6. Disable the Galaxy overlay, in the options menu (only for debugging; it should be enabled for buying kegs and inviting friends).
  7. Close all background applications, especially Chrome (and other resource-consuming apps).
  8. If that doesn't work; try to reinstall the game and manually remove the following folders (back up your Thronebreaker save games before that!):
    1. "C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\Local\Temp\CDProjektRED"
    2. "C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\LocalLow\CDProjektRED"
  9. If this doesn't fix things, run a dxdiag with the 64-bit option selected and send the results to CDPR Support along with a brief description of the issue.

Helped me when I couldnt buy starter pack, because GoG Galaxy couldn't connect.

Edit: If that didnt work, you can also try reinstalling/upgrading GPU drivers.

Looks like n.5 might be the issue. Why cant Gwent be located in Program files (x86)? Ill try reinstalling it outside that folder. Is it a issue if GOG itself is located there as well? On second thought, copying sounds easier.

Im reinstalling everything outside x86. I will let you know about the progress.

Looks like I will have to send a report. Reinstalled everything outside of x86, run as admin. I have no other apps active. My game still freezes when I press to open my goodies/kegs. Froze 10 times in a row now. I dont have any problem with other games. I also reinstalled Gog

Last edited:
Do you have an older AMD graphics card?

Yes its ancient but good enough to play Wow, warships or league of legends so I assume it should work for a card game.

Yes its ancient but good enough to play Wow, warships or league of legends so I assume it should work for a card game.

Edit: Before I sent the report yesterday, I tried settting all my grapics ingame on low, resolution on lowest, turned evrything else off, shit was barely recognisable and still I froze when I pressed "open goodies" in the shop menu. I have not once been able to open that window.

Last edited:
Sorry but it's a known issue with the older AMD cards and there's literally nothing you can do to fix it. Sadly it won't be fixed any time soon because you are in the minority that is having this issue. Support suggests playing the game on a different pc. I know it sucks.

Top Bottom