Crashing in chapter V (minor spoilers)

+
Crashing in chapter V (minor spoilers)

Hello friendsI have a query regarding chapter 5. I have played all the previous chapters and the game ran absolutely perfect (no crashing, no slowdowns) but now I am in chapter 5 and the game has become instable, first of all I experienced a slowdown while walking in the old vizima. That I assume is due to the heavy textures of so many men fighting and burning buildings, so I lowered some settings to improve the framerate. The framerate is improved but another problem I am facing is that the game is crashing alot. It does not crash at any particular point such as "Saving" or "Loading", it crashes anywhere (Fighting, Conversation, Running). Its so unpredictable that I have to save the game at every point. Do you guys think its a bug ?- I am running the game on XP SP2 with latest updates installed.- I have patch 1.1a installed (have'nt tried patch 1.2 yet because I have seen somewhere that patch 1.2 also change the story, you will not get Aerondight sword if you installed patch 1.2, maybe I am wrong but thats what I have heard).- I have latest drivers installed and directx updated.- My PC specs are :1. Gigabyte P35 DS3P Motherboard2. Intel Core 2 duo 2.33 E65503. 2 x 1 GB DDR II RAM (2GB Total)4. XFX Geforce 8600 GT 256MB DDR IIII have played the game on high settings with 2x AA and 16x Anistropic filtering on but now in chapter 5 I have lowered it to medium settings and I am facing crashing problems any suggestions please.....

Good god, lower your Aniso at least, heck try it at 8, 4 and 2. I have everything maxed on mine and only lower a few settings now and then but Anti and Aniso I keep at 2 and that's really all it needs for graphics these days with much less stutter issues along with stability. However my PC is AMD X2 and ATI, yet even when I had near the best card of it's time, (6800GT nearing around 4 years ago) no game that was new and highly graphic intensive could EVER take 16X with even low settings all the way through, besides it's overkill IMHO that high.Lots of things could be doing it, do some good searches, tell us what you have done during troubleshooting, dxdiag info, etc.As for that card, I know a 7800 is a better card, like a 6800 would be better than a 7600. Best of luck, not a bad rig either.

Yes I have lowered my Aniso to 2x now and kept a few settings at medium such as shadows and distance. The framerate is smooth now but the crashing problem is still causing me trouble. It crashes anywhere without any message just the game disappears and desktop appears

Hmm, you might want to contact official tech support as I haven't even gotten to Chapter 5 myself, really close now though.I did notice more often random black screen exits (with the last in game sound looping until error report pops) when I had near 200 save games (and hadn't moved most to a backup folder) combined with several hours of gameplay with everything maxed, mild stutter in swamps/fields with grasses on high, some pauses in certain spots (ahem, Trade Quarter) and even some hard freezes (about 1-2 frames per 5-20 secs) when grinding in the Sewer Crypts during Chapter 3.Not sure if I want to go through that worse than you are in Chap 5, we shall see...Try some of these things I linked below (bottom of thread page), but before you re-format I can't stress enough, contact official tech support first they may have a better answer(s).http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8255.0

Hello againFirst of all thanks for your reply. Tracido, I have solved the problem by installing patch 1.2 :D It really improved the overall performance of the game and also stability. Now I have played chapter 5 for almost 3 hours and no crash (Amazing). Also patch 1.2 dramatically improved the loading and saving times.If you are near chapter 5 and you have not yet installed patch 1.2 I advice you to install it. But there is one thing which keeps me curious about patch 1.2 if you are in chapter 4 and you have not yet aquired the Aerondight sword then donot install patch 1.2 because I have heard somewhere that after installing patch 1.2 you cannot get Aerondight sword which is not good. May be its just a rumor but Its what I have heard. I cannot confirm it because I have installed patch 1.2 in chapter 5, I already have Aerondight sword so patch 1.2 does not made a difference on that sword.Thanks and peace out.

TahirAhmadTalpur said:
Hello againFirst of all thanks for your reply. Tracido, I have solved the problem by installing patch 1.2 :D It really improved the overall performance of the game and also stability. Now I have played chapter 5 for almost 3 hours and no crash (Amazing). Also patch 1.2 dramatically improved the loading and saving times.If you are near chapter 5 and you have not yet installed patch 1.2 I advice you to install it. But there is one thing which keeps me curious about patch 1.2 if you are in chapter 4 and you have not yet aquired the Aerondight sword then donot install patch 1.2 because I have heard somewhere that after installing patch 1.2 you cannot get Aerondight sword which is not good. May be its just a rumor but Its what I have heard. I cannot confirm it because I have installed patch 1.2 in chapter 5, I already have Aerondight sword so patch 1.2 does not made a difference on that sword.Thanks and peace out.
No problem, and I have in fact gotten Aerondlight with 1.2. I just had to make it to the lady with no silver sword, and wyvren's suck without my 1600 oren blacksmithed baby, but I sure wasn't going to lose that sword either. ;)Glad you solved the issue, enjoy the Epilogue!

Top Bottom