Crashing on exiting menus

+
Not sure how many others are having this issue or if theres a better place to report.

The game runs fine for the most part, sometimes crashing on startup or loading, but the major issue i'm having is whenever you exit any kinda menu, pause, hack, camera, skills, invertory, whatever, the moment I hit esc to close it, the game freezes up, 2 seconds later "Oh oh, the game has flatlined" and closes, if anyone has some fix post it in, otherwise I hope this gets fixed soon.

Are you playing on PC? If so, what hardware?

Did you install the latest gpu drivers? Sometimes background applications are causing issues, so closing everything nonessential might be good to test if that could be the case...

Are you playing on PC? If so, what hardware?

Did you install the latest gpu drivers? Sometimes background applications are causing issues, so closing everything nonessential might be good to test if that could be the case...
Yes, I've updated the drivers and reinstalled them, closed anything that could be hooking or interacting with the game, even after the latest 1.0.4 patch, the game is still crashing on start up, so im kinda at day 3 with being unable to play the game,

Since I wrote the first post my game has gotten worse and no longer even starts up and crashes instantly now, I've gone though complete reinstall, driver reinstalls, PC restarts, the whole lot and everything recommended on the offical troubleshooting page, I sent in a support ticket at the end of day 1 but haven't even gotten back a confirmation, so i have no idea if it went though at this point.
Post automatically merged:

Windows 10
Intel I7 9700k @4.2Gh (5.1 OC)
32GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Installed on a 970 Evo SSD NvME
MSI gaming X trio 2070 SUPER

And attached a DX Diag incase thats of any interest. @devivre

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    102.5 KB · Views: 93
Did you disable all overlays (including windows overlay, steam, gog...)?

Make sure that none of your hardware are overclocked. This can cause a lot of problems.

Did you try changing the ingame settings? Maybe something there is causing your computer to struggle.

Considering the amount of work that support had during release, I‘m not surprised it‘s taking them a while. But I‘d suggest sending another ticket if none of that works, so they know that‘s still a thing.

Did you disable all overlays (including windows overlay, steam, gog...)?

Make sure that none of your hardware are overclocked. This can cause a lot of problems.

Did you try changing the ingame settings? Maybe something there is causing your computer to struggle.

Considering the amount of work that support had during release, I‘m not surprised it‘s taking them a while. But I‘d suggest sending another ticket if none of that works, so they know that‘s still a thing.
I've disabled all my overlays and I played Day 0 with OC on, but had no issues with it, since then I've tried it without any OC as well, as for in game settings, I can't access them (I had however changed them to a Med-high and RTX off and was getting 100-120 FPS @1440p), for the last day or 2 now, the game opens to a blackscreen then crashes 2-3 seconds after.

And I understand how much work support would be under, hence why I don't want to spam them.
I don't think any settings were changed before the game started crashing on start up and im personally out of ideas at this point.

Verify/repair could be a good idea in that case:

Other than the stuff I‘ve already mentioned, I‘m out of ideas, unfortunately. Checking if windows is uptodate and restarting your PC might be one more thing you can do, though.

Chiming in here as I'm having the exact same issue. I've noticed that whenever a scene changes dramatically (like when exiting menus as mentioned, loading a save, entering a new area) the game crashes. Stack trace/log is unhelpful, though I do notice a large spike in CPU usage right as the game crashes. Game runs fine when it is running, though!

Win 7/CP 1.04
RTX2070 with 460.79 drivers
Steam & GeForce Overlays disabled
OC'd i7 4790K (but crashes occur even when overclock is dialed back)
16GB ram
Samsung 970 Evo SSD NvME

I don't know what to do at this point, I've tried everything. Modifying graphic settings, resolution, nvidia profile settings, etc have no effect. Other games I play don't have this issue so I doubt it's the result of overclocking or system instability. Hopefully we can find a resolution soon!

@devivre @tgf83
I do have some good news, I went though a few things again, kept trying at it with some help, and what worked for me was the step 2 with the Display Driver Uninstall, Follow that program and Reinstall the DRIVER without GEFORCE EXPERINCE.

Note I did do a few other things like updating Windows, C++, Direct X and everything under the sun, making sure all overlays are off, and running only the essentials.

I am Able to play the game the game for the most part, the only issue im seeing still is my game crashes when I exit the breach protocool

@devivre @tgf83
I do have some good news, I went though a few things again, kept trying at it with some help, and what worked for me was the step 2 with the Display Driver Uninstall, Follow that program and Reinstall the DRIVER without GEFORCE EXPERINCE.

Note I did do a few other things like updating Windows, C++, Direct X and everything under the sun, making sure all overlays are off, and running only the essentials.

I am Able to play the game the game for the most part, the only issue im seeing still is my game crashes when I exit the breach protocool

I did that, minus the Geforce Experience step. I'll try it again. I also noticed we both were running the game from a Samsung 970 Evo SSD NvME, so I completely uninstalled and re-installed to a different (non-NvME) drive. I got slightly better mileage when exiting menus, but I just experienced another crash so I'm not sure it solved anything. I'll try the drivers again minus GeForce exp
Post automatically merged:

Just reporting back, seems like uninstalling/reinstalling the 460.79 graphics driver without GeForce Experience helped - I just had a long play session with no crashes! Hope that was the issue. Weird because I play with Geforce experience fine in every other game. I may try to move the game files back to my Samsung Evo Plus NVME drive, hopefully it won't get crashy again.

Last edited:
Just updating this, even after the 1.05 patch, game still crashes 50% of the time on exiting menus, still can't find a fix.

I also have a similar problem, in the sense that my pc locks up only when I quit the game .. sometimes it unlocks by itself, others I have to force the system to shut down via the power button.

Ryzen 7 3700x gpu 1080ti 16gb ram 3600 cl14.

I will try the solutions shown in the post and ... hopefully good.

I found a possible solution: exit the game by going to the main menu. then leaving the game open go back to the desktop and right click on the game icon in the navigation bar to close the game. Automatically GOG will synchronize the data of the save and at least it avoids the crash of the system.

I’m also reporting in 2022. I did not have this problem in any previous patch, including the initial 1.5 patch. However, after the second patch for 1.5 I am experiencing frequent crashes. Sometimes on boot up, but more often when I open/close the pause menus to look at Backpack, Talents, Saving, Graphics, etc. Sometimes I can boot up the game and play for up to an hour, other times the first menu I open/close will flatline the game.

As mentioned before I did not have this issue in previous patches and I’m running the game on a pretty beefy PC with an RTX 3060 and I do not have a sound driver listed in a related issue to boot up crashes as I have a Xonar sound card.

I was really enjoying patch 1.5 until the second update and now I can hardly play due to the crashes. If anyone else is newly having this issue I would love to know, especially if you have a solution. Or if this is a known issue new to 1.5 and being worked on, I’m wondering if I just need to be patient for another hot fix.

I'm having the same issue, too. I've been posting in various forums since the 1.5 updates to try and get this settled. Since this thread got rezzed I'll join you here, too. It same deal with me. RTX 3070; I7 10700; Windows 11. Crashes my PC coming out of menus. Can't play for more than a couple of minutes after the update. Pretty lame. I don't even see that CDPR is aware of this. Not enough squeaky wheels. Hope it gets a fix soon though. None of the previous suggestions have helped.

Top Bottom