Crashing on load screen after updating to 1.2

+
Updated to 1.2 automatically through Steam today and now I can't get any further than the CD Projekt Red logo screen before the game crashes without an error screen. Removed the couple mods I had, Verified integrity of local files, and there were no issues found... game still won't start. Graphics drivers (RTX 2070 Super) are up to date as well. Any ideas what to try / check next?

I'm getting the same issue. Updated today to 1.2 and it just crashes when loading, does not get passed the project red screen. I tried the fix/check install, uninstalled and re-installed on a different volume just in case, same issue. Running on an Asus FX505DV (Ryzen 7 3750H, RTX 2060, 32GB RAM). nvidia drivers and windows is up to date.

Edit:

Updated new nvidia drivers that were released today (465.89). This resolved my issue.

Last edited:
Same problem here, Steam version. Updated to 1.2, latest Nvidia drivers. The launcher itself pops, I click Play from there, then I get a black screen for maybe 2 seconds, then I'm back to the Desktop with a crash / flatline report. I also tried to check integrity of game files, nothing was missing. For now I can't play at all.

Same - I think. I get to the "press space to continue" screen and then when I do it goes to a red/black background screen with no words and just stays there forever. I don't get the screen to load a game or start new , and there is a sound that loops. Yes I cannot play at all - very exciting patch, broke the game. I wasn't considering a refund before but I am now

Here's what I've done.

1) Completely uninstall.
2) Re-download, re-install

Nothing else, no mods, just the game itself and that's it. At that point, it worked. I played a little bit up to the part where Jackie drives us to the Apartment. I saved the game there, and from there I went in graphics settings and finally adjusted everything to my tastes (I didn't do any of that during the initial tutorials, I waited to get to the Apartment).

Then I left the game.

Now, I'm back trying to play the game again, but AGAIN... the same problem I had comes back. The game is crashing / flatlining back to the Desktop after I try to launch it. Even though it worked right after my initial uninstall + re-download some hours ago.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind now is that there might be some In-Game Options I changed that the game doesn't like at all, which is causing that crash issue.

And I DO recall that under the Video settings, the game by Default was running under Borderless Windowed mode. That's when I changed it to Fullscreen because... well I always run all my games fullscreen (heck, I ran this very game on fullscreen back in December under version 1.05 without this problem ever appearing).

Now I know very well that uninstalling the game + reinstalling it won't help, so I won't do that again. The issue stems from changing one of the In-Game options, which I'm 99% convinced of. But the problem is since the game is crashing I can't even try to put it back to Windowed mode. I can't even see any Config files where I could change that manually.

Might be RTX series specific issue, too, seeing two of the above posters said they go with those.

Damn. Worse than just RTX series then, eh.

If the problem is exclusive to full screen mode, though, then i believe doing this procedure in reverse would allow to fix it without re-downloading / resetting whole game: https://whatifgaming.com/how-to-enable-the-cyberpunk-2077-exclusive-fullscreen-mode-on-pc/ . Good luck.

Tried it, not working.

I cannot explain why the game was running fine until I closed it, only to return to it a few hours later for it to crash at the desktop, makes no sense. I only adjusted in-game settings between all that and nothing else (no mods, nothing extra, nothing from outside of the game, no reshade either; it's just the base game and that's it). It worked, I played it. I adjust options, I quit it. Then I come back later and it doesn't work.

I just give up. I'll wait for 1.3 in about 2 or 3 months.

I have the same issue on gog. I had already unistalled the game before 1.2, after 1.2 was released I reinstalled and it hangs after pressing to continue at load screen. I don't have an rtx card and I never used mods.

Updated my graphics driver and verified game install and seems there was 20mb downloaded, now game works.

I also updated my graphics card driver and verified install on GOG and had a 37mb file downloaded and installed. Everything works now.

Updating graphic drivers and verifying game files are those two ultra-generic solutions that never work for anything or for anyone, but... well, it did work me this time, as well. Thanks!

Solution for me using GOG: Launch the game directly from the install location using the Cyberpunk2077.exe.
1617723513687.png

I had constant crashes not getting past the CD Project logo loading screen using the "play" button in GOG.

+1, got same issues, crashes a lot, and CP77 eats up tons of memory rather than before, with or without mods. I had to kill CP77 from Task Manager mostly. And I have 16GB RAM, never got this issue before the patch.

this never happens before the patch

Last edited:
Top Bottom