crashing with xps m1710, win xp

+
crashing with xps m1710, win xp

heya, picked this game up the other day, the EE. I kept hearing how great it was so figured id check it out.. problem is its not running lol.It keeps basically crashing, but kinda an odd crash, its almost like the games overheating the system but i doubt thats the case. I've never had overheating problems with anything else. But the game will just crash by my whole system shutting down.I did some searches and found something about the light fx features of the xps line and to disable them by changing the LifghtFX folder name in the system folder, so i did to 1LightFX. I did notice they were kinda flipping out while i was playing. I thought it fixed it, i was able to play for 20 minutes instead of 10 =Panyone have any other sugestions on things to try? i have the latest gfx drivers from dells site because nvidias are beta right now and i cant find an older oneits a dell xps m1710 laptop, with a geforce go 7950gtx. im using win xp. Most of my searches seemed to be people having problems with vistaany ideas on stuff to try would be great because this is kinda a waste of 40 bucks if it wont workoh and forgot to mention i have the latest version of the game, the dvd came with it

kenshindono said:
its a dell xps m1710 laptop, with a geforce go 7950gtx. im using win xp. Most of my searches seemed to be people having problems with vista
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folderalso the new hotfix is here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21009.0

i read the faq at the top thats where i got the idea for changing the LightFX folder name to LightFX1i dont see an error file in the system folder, probably because the system completely turns intself offi guess theres a remote possibility that its heat related, it seems like it since thats what i know just turns a system off. Usually a crash will give an error, lock up your system, or force a restart. But like i said it hasn't done this with any other game.i dont think i need an EAX hotfix

you know what.. i think its simply a heat related issue. The fact that it just shuts off instead of actually crashing and tells me the system overheated makes me think its just heating up too much when playing the game. I havent played much games on it lately except for warcraft and even that i quit months ago. I think its got a buncha dust in there. Im going to try to get a dell tech to come out and clean it next week or so and see if that helps, just dusting the fan areas with canned air seemed to help and i played for about an hour without it restarting. i got a HW monitor and the gpu got up to like 85 celcius.. .that seems hot to me

Top Bottom