Crimson Curse – new cards revealed!

+
I hope Leader, Orianna and Detlaff: Higher Vampire either ties together Vampires or Bleed as a package.

As long as Brigade and Sentry are both not changed, the Madron will interact with neither of them, which brings the ability down to immun to rot tosser, but counts as end of the row. Just having her stay at her original place would have been a lot more intuitive and wouldn't have added unnecessary complextity.

Hmmm... Yeah, I meant Sentry, not Brigade, my bad...
Missed the fact that Sentry boost only if a card is moved between row (and not just moved). But I won't be surprised if they change it..
As for the Rot tosser, it's still a niche interaction (it's just the first which came to mind that uses adjacent units - I think there are too little in the game right now; still it can save itself and you are free to move another card to safety.. even if that is a very niche scenario!).
It's also important for many deathblows, and you have a different degree of control over board configuration and other movement (think about protecting an engine moved by Drowner without having to directly play a card or with Geralt Ard sequencing, for example, that give a couple of slightly different possibilities to your next play).

Still minor - we can argue pretty useless - interactions by now. But still I like a lot the direction and the design space cards like that can open! That was the most important thing! And that's not only unnecessary complexity, if the game take a direction where moving stuff and positioning stuff in a clever way is important (if this mechanic is coming to the game, we can expect future sinergies there for sure!)..

rrc

Forum veteran
I can empathize with the frustration expressed by a lot of players about SK. However, there is no valid reason for CDPR to be biased towards a particular faction since it is detrimental to the game in terms of its success and promoting enough variety for it to be popular.

People who say CDPR has their favourite faction seem to forget that they are a business with operating costs & profit-driven goals just like any other company. It's silly to assume that they want a faction to be dominant; I think they're much more inclined to bring balance even if they haven't completely achieved that yet.

Your argument makes perfect sense, which is why it baffles me why they do it. I can think of one logical explanation. As many times many people (even though not official communication from CDPR) has confirmed that ST has the largest fan base. Jason has mentioned somewhere (so it is official communication) that SK is the least played faction. So, may be the logic goes like this in CDPR's team "Lets not make the most favorite faction strong as it will be bad for the community. Lets keep the most favorite faction as the weakest one so that others try the other factions. Since SK is the least played, lets give them ridiculously easy mechanisms and cards that give better yield than their provisions always, so that people tend to play that faction more *and bring balance*".

May be it is not personal that they give shitty cards to ST and ridiculous cards to MO or SK (but now, in CC, almost all NR cards are uber powerful). So, it may not be a few people's favoritism, but a collective decision as the whole company to bring balance which keeps one faction shitty and others stronger. I am just guessing.

Last edited:
Your argument makes perfect sense, which is why it baffles me why they do it. I can think of one logical explanation. As many times many people (even though not official communication from CDPR) has confirmed that ST has the largest fan base. Jason has mentioned somewhere (so it is official communication) that SK is the least played faction. So, may be the logic goes like this in CDPR's team "Lets not make the most favorite faction strong as it will be bad for the community. Lets keep the most favorite faction as the weakest one so that others try the other factions. Since SK is the least played, lets give them ridiculously easy mechanisms and cards that give better yield than their provisions always, so that people tend to play that faction more *and bring balance*".

May be it is not personal that they give shitty cards to ST and ridiculous cards to MO or SK (but now, in CC, almost all NR cards are uber powerful). So, it may not be a few people's favoritism, but a collective decision as the whole company to bring balance which keeps one faction shitty and others stronger. I am just guessing.

So let's see if I get that right. You mean to tell us that CDPR intentionally made strong all other factions but not ST. Let me guess, I assume your favorite faction is ST then. Tell me, how much more time it has to pass and how many more comments you have to write until you finally realize how ultra biased you are. ST receives incredibly good cards in CC, both solid bodies and powerful engines. Also, just for a counter argument, in any other faction the tutor card for their faction's specific specials are 2 strength and 10 provisions. The ST tutor is 9 provisions.
In the end of the day, I can't see what you are squeaking about and I try really hard.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
So let's see if I get that right. You mean to tell us that CDPR intentionally made strong all other factions but not ST. Let me guess, I assume your favorite faction is ST then. Tell me, how much more time it has to pass and how many more comments you have to write until you finally realize how ultra biased you are. ST receives incredibly good cards in CC, both solid bodies and powerful engines. Also, just for a counter argument, in any other faction the tutor card for their faction's specific specials are 2 strength and 10 provisions. The ST tutor is 9 provisions.
In the end of the day, I can't see what you are squeaking about and I try really hard.
Of course I am ST fan but I am not biased. Let me explain about the one "great thing" about ST in CC, that it's tutor is 9 provisions while tutors in other factions are 10. The reason is, all other tutors can tutor much more powerful card than ST.

NR: Kiera can even tutor Scorch (14 provisions) or Rag Noh Rag (12 provisions)

NG: Menno can tutor Horn (14P) or Royal Decree/Muzzle (12P), etc

MO: Crone can tutor Ritual Sacrifice/Manticore Venom (10 P),

SK: He can tutor Dragon's Dream (12P)

Now, ST can tutor Water Of Brokilon or (I believe) Call of the Forest both 9P and Water Of Brokilon is an overpriced card (which if it was for SK or MO, would have been priced at 7 or max 8).

So, ST having 9 provisions tutor is not because ST gets a good deal, it is because it can only tutor weak cards (weaker than other factions).

Oak needs 5 cards in a row to break even. The other tree can't work reliably since it needs handbuff units and may not see much play. The trap which will not even work with Eldain or Pyro is also not a good card. Only Sirsa and the Move to right most cards are good cards.

I will stop squeaking when (or if) ST gets an awesome Legendary card.

If you have a favourite faction you'll play it more and see all its flaws. I used to play only MO in open beta, almost exclusively and then moved to SK in homecoming. Let me tell you that i saw MO as weak when I was using it and I see now SK as weak. I might be the worst player ever tho, who knows.

Oak needs 5 cards in a row to break even. The other tree can't work reliably since it needs handbuff units and may not see much play.
The problem with your argumentation is in my opinion, that you are looking at each card on its own.
When we combine all those card you called weaker, we already get a quite powerfull finisher. Fauve into Water of Brokilon into Francesca and next turn Great Oak is a 31 point play, which is pretty huge. And those cards can be set up even more, generating lot more points.

The same for Wheeping Willow. WW + Sirssa or WW+Ithlinne is already a combination getting the provision costs back, even without any other handbuff units, which are common. And both combinations offer carry-over potential which is quite powerful itself too.

And furthermore with all the new Deathblow units, Eithne and all other damage dealing ST units got an indirect buff too, because they will offer a lot more utility now. With Eithne it shouldn't be any problem to trigger Gregoir de Gorgons deathblow.

And last but not least, I believe a version of Spella'tel is back that works together with artifacts. The expansion offers quite a lot of new special cards, inclunding a couple that are played by artifacts. For ST as a faction which has quite some interactions with both of them that could really create a new archetype.

Edit:
And the strongest revealed card of the expansion, so far, is Dryad Matron in my opinion. Not only is she able to generate 1 point of boost per turn (compare that to Eskel: Pathfinder who has 4 provisions more, is melee locked but has only 1 extra strength), she even synergizes greatly with DB Sentry. Just imagine a combination of Sentry on Ranged into Matron into Matron. That is a combination that if left unchecked, can generate 4 points per turn.

Or to get even crazier, the player can expand it to 2 Sentries and add Operator and Dudu to the combination. (The enemy Matron should destroy herself pretty quickly thanks to sentry, so operator has no disadvantage at all). This way you will get an engine combination generating 12 points per round, which is pretty insane, thus gaining up to 106 points with only 40 provisions used.

Last edited:
I hope Leader, Orianna and Detlaff: Higher Vampire either ties together Vampires or Bleed as a package.

I hope too, because Monsters have been disappointing so far.

There is a lack of pay off for most of what they're trying to do, we only have one blood moon synergy (with Alp), otherwise the effect just has a basic tribal synergy, and from what we've seen the application of blood moon seems very convoluted through Crimson Curse. Same thing is going on with bleeding, only Garkain interacts with the effect, and even then it relies rather heavily on your opponent's play style (they need to go tall) to be good, and we have no draining synergy.

Some of the cards are just straight up bad, like Nekurat or Fleder, and very few support existing archetypes, Queen of the Night might see play if you care about purify, and Protofleder, Bruxa, and Katakan might see play in different Gernichora lists.

I hardly see how three cards can salvage the situation.

I hope too, because Monsters have been disappointing so far.

There is a lack of pay off for most of what they're trying to do, we only have one blood moon synergy (with Alp), otherwise the effect just has a basic tribal synergy, and from what we've seen the application of blood moon seems very convoluted through Crimson Curse. Same thing is going on with bleeding, only Garkain interacts with the effect, and even then it relies rather heavily on your opponent's play style (they need to go tall) to be good, and we have no draining synergy.

Some of the cards are just straight up bad, like Nekurat or Fleder, and very few support existing archetypes, Queen of the Night might see play if you care about purify, and Protofleder, Bruxa, and Katakan might see play in different Gernichora lists.

I hardly see how three cards can salvage the situation.

There has to be a pay off with the monster leader and vampires/bleeding synergies. If not, Crimson Curse expansion wouldn't mean much. We could even call it a blood and wine expansion.

OB Light Longship as Svalblod Priest. Really great to see that ability back in the game.

Red Haze seems in a really weird spot honestly. It's a cheaper Treason, but only targets a unit on one side of an enemy instead of both sides. Nonetheless it probably is still better than Alzur's for the same provision.

And Ducal Guard is just boring, having only Assimilate as an ability. And as long as you don't play against NR, a Nauzica Sergeant will be a clearly better alternative in my opinion.

And Ducal Guard is just boring, having only Assimilate as an ability. And as long as you don't play against NR, a Nauzica Sergeant will be a clearly better alternative in my opinion.
I guess Ducal Guard is a direct equivalent to Dryad Fledgling that itself is equivalent to Nekkers. But you are right, Nauzicaa Sergeant is a better choice, always. However, I think Ducal Guard is the better choice over Magne Division.
Nonetheless, my favorite NG engine (that I'm looking forward to) will be Lyrian Cavalry ;) All hail the Duchesses Informant!

Neutral: 26/31
Northern Realm: 13/14
Nilfgaard: 11/14
Scoia'tael: 13/14
Monster: 12/14
Skellige: 12/14

Cards revealed in trailers:
Nilfgaard: Poisoner, Milton de Peyrac-Peyran, Artorius Vigo, Anna Henrietta (leader)
Monster: Orianna, Dettlaff: Higher Vampire
Neutral: Syvanna

Only 14 cards remaining

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
Only 14 cards remaining
Thanks for doing this dear Ciri, but *Only 14 cards*? Damnit we have only 3 days left (including today, damnit). My guess would be, tomorrow we will have dev stream in which all leaders will be revealed, remaining 9 cards, 3 per day.

Nonetheless, my favorite NG engine (that I'm looking forward to) will be Lyrian Cavalry ;) All hail the Duchesses Informant!
At least someone who can appreciate that card. Because as a NR player I find that card pretty useless and a really bad design.

And so far charge decks still haven't got any usefull 4 provision card at all.

Here are the cards revealed during the weekend!

Katakan
Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0077_MON-Katakan.png

Ekimmara
Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0077_MON-Ekimmara.png

Queen Adalia
Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_NOR-Queen-Adalia.png

Weeping Willow
Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_SCO-Weeping-Willow.png

Traveling Merchant
Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0080_NEU-Traveling Merchant.png

Arnvald
Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0081_SKE-Arnvald.png