Crimson Curse – new cards revealed!

+

Dominika

CD PROJEKT RED

In case you missed today’s Crimson Curse stream with developers, it’s now available on YouTube!

During the stream we’ve covered new keywords coming to GWENT on March 28th together with the new expansion:

Bonded: Trigger this ability if you control a copy of this card.
Deathblow: Trigger this ability if this card destroys a unit.
Purify: Remove all statuses.
Berserk: Trigger this ability when this unit is at half or less than its base power.
Formation: If played on the melee row, gain Zeal. If played on the ranged row, boost self by 1.
Assimilate: Boost self by 1 whenever you play a card that is not from your starting deck.
Harmony: Boost self by 1 whenever you play a Scoia'tael unit with a unique primary category.
Bleeding: Status that damages a unit by 1 on its turn end.
Shield: Status that blocks the next instance of damage dealt to a unit.
Poison: If a unit has two Poison statuses, destroy it.
Dominance: Trigger this ability if you control the highest unit.
Vitality: Status that boosts a unit by 1 on its turn end.

We’ve also revealed 10 new cards!

Alp

Feast of Blood

Imperial Diviner

Vivienne de Tabris

Cintrian Artificer

King Roegner

Treant Mantis: Stalk

Treant Mantis: Strike

Forest Whisperer

Artis

Svalblod Fanatic

Bear Abomination

What should I say? Great art, paired with cool abilities and mechanics. :cool:

Favourite art: King Roegner
Favourite ability: Vivienne de Tabris
Favourite card, which might well enable an entire archetype: Artis

Awesome stream guys and excellent art. The abilities are very cool but I think there will be some balances as always. Great job!

So are you telling me that Roegner gets a card before Calanthe?!

However I'm still happy to see more characters from the books coming!

Is Treant Mantis Gold?

Can't tell from description. Looks like bronze but so does Vivienne.

Any possible confirmation on this?

Wow, 11 new keywords. This game will be a mess after few expansions...

Few of those are already in-game, like Dominance (Wild Hunt Rider, Count Caldwell), Deathblow (Rivian Pikman), Purify (Ceallach Dyffryn). Others were already in the previous iteration of Gwent present, like "bonded" with Reaver Scout, or Quen Shield. Cards like old berserker now should get their own archetype.

So some old abilities get a tag, other are reworked and expanded upon. To me it looks more like clearing up!

Is Treant Mantis Gold?

Based on the rarity - purple triangle - I would say so.

Dominance (Wild Hunt Rider, Count Caldwell), Deathblow (Rivian Pikman), Purify (Ceallach Dyffryn)

Well, I do not think that you can count a Count for dominance, because it is quite difficult to apply. But yes, other wild hunt units will probably have this keyword.
Not counting these 3 it is still 8 which is quite high. But we will see. Hopefully people will not expect so much "new" from each expansion...

Given Vivienne's ability, it will be important to show provision costs clearly now....no? (Or is part of the skill in playing it depending on one's already knowing all provision costs? If so, I'm doomed! :) ) While playing it on an ally's card is a given in most cases, I could see in some circumstances perhaps playing it on an opponent's card. For example: changing a Ghoul (provision cost 6) that ate a Griffin. The Ghoul would now be a 9, and playing Vivienne would change it to a 6. Sure, that's an absolutely awful exchange in the vast majority of cases, but it could conceivably be a play in rare circumstances.

Given Vivienne's ability, it will be important to show provision costs clearly now....no? (Or is part of the skill in playing it depending on one's already knowing all provision costs? If so, I'm doomed! :) ) While playing it on an ally's card is a given in most cases, I could see in some circumstances perhaps playing it on an opponent's card. For example: changing a Ghoul (provision cost 6) that ate a Griffin. The Ghoul would now be a 9, and playing Vivienne would change it to a 6. Sure, that's an absolutely awful exchange in the vast majority of cases, but it could conceivably be a play in rare circumstances.

why would the ghoul be a 9 after eating? It is still a ghoul that got buffed like whit Swallow or Mahakamer Ale. I dont think eating or buffing changes their base provisions. But thats to be confirmed from CDPR at least to be sure.

As we all know CDPR they want us to memorize all those provision costs. And if we dont... we always experience surprise moments after using Vivienne. Just like always with all these RNG systems xD

so currently the best possible buffs from vivienne:
1. zoltan scoundrel - 14 points
2. regis - 11 points
3. dandelion poet, avallach sage - 10 points
4. phoenix, caretaker, yrden, igni, yen of vengerberg, triss telekinesis, aguara true form, vattier - 9 points

Last edited:

On the PS4 it is a shoulder button. I have not tried on PC. In any event, there is a way to see the cards description. This screen also shows base power and provision cost. Thankfully, no guesswork or memory required. I do agree though, memory should not be a requirement.

I just hope that they will keep consistency with the keywords. Like adding them to cards with the same effect.
In comparison to other underwhelming ccg...

How would Purify work with Immune? I mean right now Ceallach is the only Immune counter in the game and i assume it will also gain the new Purify tag, but what about single target units?

Also Formation seems rather pointless and underwhelming.

How would Purify work with Immune? I mean right now Ceallach is the only Immune counter in the game and i assume it will also gain the new Purify tag, but what about single target units?

Also Formation seems rather pointless and underwhelming.
It should not be able to target immune units, it is that simple.

Also Formation is a more versatile Zeal and we all know how good Zeal is.

Top Bottom