Crimson Curse – new cards revealed!

+
Today's reveals: Musicians of Blaviken, Sangreal, and Gregoire de Gorgon! 🎶🍷🐎

Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0035_NEU-Musicians of Blaviken.png

Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0036_NEU-Sangreal.png

Crimson-Curse---New-cards-for-reveals_0034_NEU-Gregoire de Gorgon.png

The first one is a mere meme.

The second sounds weird, given that you cannot play it the same turn as the unit you want to protect.
It can work with Shield synergy, as the first one, which boosts itself by 2 each turn, if under Shield.
With the Shield support in NR it is propably going to be point/provision effective.

The last one is interesting, it appears to be a better Gael, given that it is not most likely dead outside of a monster matchup, can immediately desstroy a Nekker for an 11 point card with a Shield and is a lot more consistent at what it does.
In fact it does (unlike Gael right now) not look like a meme card and actually worthwhile.
Unlike Gael, which already struggles to get back the provision cost and can only do so with massively weakened targets, this card can hit low point units and still profit massively as a body on par with Caldwell, with a Shield and no downside.

It will be an extraordinarily useful card against Arachas Queen, Nekkers, reset versions of Ozzrel/Ghoul (remember Peter), Emissary, Bearmaster, Damned Sorceress and more niche targets.

Given the existence of Emissary there should always be a target to trigger it yourself, in which case you use a 9 provision and a 6 provision unit for a 7 point boost and a 10 point body (with a shield), giving 17 points for 15 provisions worst case.

In fact this card is going to be a power tool Nilfgaard desperately lacks.
(No way it is not Nilfgaard, given that this a Knight from Toussaint and Toussaint is going to be the focus of the Nilfgaard support).
Really great design on Gregoire de Gorgon.

Well, I have an idea for the most beautiful card today. Musicians of Blaviken should randomly give one of that four statuses to chosen card on board, instead of this card. It could be strong in some situations, and weak in others, just like a real 'fun' card should be. It would be similar to Shupe, that can be very usefull if we are lucky, or not (for example, if someone put this into Scoia deck to maybe have another card giving poison, but not always, so it never would be auto include). Of course with that change it's provision could be higher or power lower.

CDPR way to balance RNG is by making RNG cards unplayable. This applies to Gascon, followed by nerfs to Reveal NG followed by nerfs of Shupe and now this. This is good progress, atleast they wont waste resources on nerfing RNG cards in the future, by releasing bad cards from the very begining.
- Oh wait they already spent resources on making animated version of the card, so here goes nothing, another card wont see the light of day.

Well, we have 7 Monster reveals left and already got Fleder (whIch sounds above alright for Arachas Queen), a far worse Gregoire de Gorgon (Kael), low provision fillers and bad cards (e.g. an objectively worse Johnny).
Fingers crossed on the next Monster reveals to be good high provision cards (6+).

And by the way, people got a first card of what they have been asking for, Gregoire de Gorgon is direct Spy support (especially for Cantarella and Emissary) and good at that.

But monsters already has many good cards and synergies; it will likely not get many more powerful cards(maybe one or two, though).
The point is not that they get new tools that outclass old ones, they should get another functioning archtype.
Them being good already does not mean a potential new deck for them has be unplayably bad.
Vampires and Bloodmoon are the new theme for them and the cover of the expansion, what I am saying is that only 7 reveals are left for them and we have nothing even remotely worth bulding around, only fillers (4 provision cards and Alp) and a tool for an old leader (Fleder for Arachas Queen and maybe Gerni).

The point is not that they get new tools that outclass old ones, they should get another functioning archtype.
Them being good already does not mean a potential new deck for them has be unplayably bad.
Vampires and Bloodmoon are the new theme for them and the cover of the expansion, what I am saying is that only 7 reveals are left for them and we have nothing even remotely worth bulding around, only fillers (4 provision cards and Alp) and a tool for an old leader (Fleder for Arachas Queen and maybe Gerni).

Bleed is the archetype, and if you look at deathblow, there is a synergy brewing. The biggest weakness for monsters is that they are always so stuck on their own side of the board. NR and SK have a big advantage against them as a result. ST struggles with the point spam and NG doesn't have enough identity to really swing the scale (really comes down to what cards NG has on hand,) with locks being good against deathwish but relatively useless against point spam and thrive. Vampires are all about taking the fight to the enemy by setting them up for deathblow. Also if bleeding negates shield, this could cause real problems for the NR decks. ST doesn't get huge poison value because the cards are low points (not huge incentive to poison low power units.) NG can sieze/assimalte them, but again they are low value cards. SK will likely have a massive advantage over bleed, especially with the beserk/self damage archetype, but SK always enjoys an advantage over MO. I agree that we need a few more synergy cards to fill out the archetype, but I disagree that it is not at least in theory viable.

[...]
I agree that we need a few more synergy cards to fill out the archetype, but I disagree that it is not at least in theory viable.
Currently the theme suffers from Eldain Trap syndrome (the main focus being low provision cards).
One usually cannot build a deck around low provision cards, low provision cards are either like Slyzard, Nekkers, Tridam (and so on) or fillers.
The current cards for that theme are nothing like them.
The theme cannot function without high provision cards one builds around (and that [unlike Gael] are worth the effort) and at the very least moderate synergy.
Currently Gael is an awful incentive, which never works if your opponent knows about it, takes forever to setup and is not very rewarding.
Gael is ok as a filler and a potential unexpected card, however you cannot build around him with the cardpool of Monsters, unless you consistently want to lose against decks with less than 110 provisions.
The concept works, however currently there is no incentive to build around it and Bleeding is both slow and has no control capabilities.
The current Monster cards for that archtype are too low impact to define a deck and would only be usable as fillers, which you want to mulligan away anyways.

Let's take a deeper look shall we. Bruxa is very below average. A four point card which can gain thrive but requires a deathblow to do so, seems unlikely to ever be used. Alp is a base 5 with potential for 7, not that low value. Plumard is a base 5 with potential for 7, also synergizes well with deathblow. Feast of blood, base six, synergizes with deathblow, removes beneficial effects from enemies, this card works well with deathblow, but depends on provision cost (it low it is a good card, if high not a good choice.) Nekurat is an engine with great value (at least 2 points every 2 turns, and demands enemy lock/removal.) Lastly fleder is a base 3 potential 7 card which functions like a 1 point smaller Griffen, except it is worse for consumption and better for vampire synergy.

I agree these cards by themselves are not a successful deck, but with new deathblow cards and with the more powerful vampires yet to be revealed, I am okay reserving judgement.

Let's take a deeper look shall we. Bruxa is very below average. A four point card which can gain thrive but requires a deathblow to do so, seems unlikely to ever be used.
[...]
Bruxa is another card of the Wolf Pack clones, which are welcome in all factions, although this is the worst among them, given that it becomes no better than the original when hit by another one of these, the others (especially SK and NR) are safer value, not relying on surviving and if I want to play a point/provision = 1 card I would propably rather plya Wyvern and Drowner is also leagues better (not just 1 point, given its versatility).
Nevertheless this is one of the better additions to Monsters as a filler in case you have no really synergies among your 4 provision cards.

[...] Alp is a base 5 with potential for 7, not that low value. Plumard is a base 5 with potential for 7, also synergizes well with deathblow. [...]
The first one completely depends on how Bloodmoon turns out, based on that it is either alright or plain awful.
The second one is an immediate 4 with 1 more after 1 turn and in case you have yet another copy of this 4 provision card and still failed to mulligan either of them away you get punished less by getting up to 2 more points, in case the Round continues for that long.
Also setting up for deathblow takes an awful lot of turns dwidling one's thumbs, given that if you interfere bleeding gives you less value and using this to set up deathblow 1 is a play even beginners can smell from a mile away and somewhat easy to interfere, in which case the deathblow unit becomes a nuisance, rather than a combopiece (especially Gael, if the opponent interrupts the setup Gael becomes a non-control 5 points for 7 provisions card you set up for, which is the stuff of nightmares for the person playing him).

[...]Feast of blood, base six, synergizes with deathblow, removes beneficial effects from enemies, this card works well with deathblow, but depends on provision cost (it low it is a good card, if high not a good choice.) [...]
Feast of Blood takes forever to get the provision cost in points back and only brings that many points in case you first find a really large unit (unlikely unless you face Monsters) and then proceed to wait 4-5 turns, just to break even.

[...] Nekurat is an engine with great value (at least 2 points every 2 turns, and demands enemy lock/removal.) [...]
Nekurat is an objectively worse version of Johnny (which about noone runs outside of memes), it has less shots (Johnny comes with 1), is just as reliant on targets, is just as easily removable (same stats, both pointwise and provision-wise) and uses a subset as trigger (Johnny works with all Special Cards and not even that is true for Nekurat).
If noone runs Johnny, why would they run Nekurat ?

[...] Lastly fleder is a base 3 potential 7 card which functions like a 1 point smaller Griffen, except it is worse for consumption and better for vampire synergy. [...]
Fleder does nothing for Vampires and works better for consumption than you give it credit for.
It can be used with an Arachas Drone on one's field and Queen immediately replaces it (just like Griffin).
It then immediately grows to 4 and proceeds to grow 1 point each turn, while Queen wants to either outvalue or force the opponent out, it only takes 1 turn to break even and the card at worst draws out a Chironex, so that your Chironex can then more likely stick for Unicorn. If the opponent does not remove it it becomes a 2 provision cheaper 1 point lower Griffin (though admittedly without the benefit of Ghoul synergy).
In fact Fleder is the by far best and only really good new card for Monsters thus far.

[...]
I agree these cards by themselves are not a successful deck, but with new deathblow cards and with the more powerful vampires yet to be revealed, I am okay reserving judgement.
I am also hoping for the best, however they only have 7 cards left to add actual Vampire synergy, add at the very least some excuse to Nekurat's existence, add consistent Bloodmoon access (propably also the new leader) and a few Bloodmoon cards, add Bleeding synergy (they announced there would be cards playing around with the damage of Bleeding etc) to give an actual incentive to use it and potentially add an actually good Deathblow card.
Not to mention Detlaff has to appear either as a leader or unit (likely an unit, given that we will likely see a regular form and Higher Vampire form like with Regis [unless he transforms]).

Edit: So Gregoire de Gorgon is a Neutral card ... which begs the question why one would run Gael over him, he is guaranteed to exceed the point/provison = 1 threshold, has a Shield, can hit units without them being high, possibly even without the need for setup and is not good - > awful depending on the matchup).
In this case this might be one of the best cards in the expansion.

CDPR way to balance RNG is by making RNG cards unplayable. This applies to Gascon, followed by nerfs to Reveal NG followed by nerfs of Shupe and now this. This is good progress, atleast they wont waste resources on nerfing RNG cards in the future, by releasing bad cards from the very begining.
- Oh wait they already spent resources on making animated version of the card, so here goes nothing, another card wont see the light of day.

Don't understand this at all. Why do they keep wasting time releasing obviously bad cards? It's bad design and too weak to play. Congratulations.
Post automatically merged:

Dear CDPR. Please stop making useless RNG cards.

RNG has nothing to do in a competitive environment. There is no satisfaction whatsoever in winning out of RNG. It might be fun, I don't deny it, for casual play maybe but for me it's just a plain disturbance in my gwent experience.

Random musicians. :censored:

I like the vast majority of the revealed cards, but sadly not the musicians.

Dear CDPR. Please stop making RNG cards.

(Or have crazy wild RNG-heavy cards arena only.)

The card neither is the problem if it is to think, today who will play 4 of body for 6 of provision???

Now if you put it as possible status of having it Vitality would already make it something that can be thrown!

The card neither is the problem if it is to think, today who will play 4 of body for 6 of provision???

Now if you put it as possible status of having it Vitality would already make it something that can be thrown!
The reason for the Musicians being trash, btw, is the poison.

The fact that it does not seem viable for me is the only good thing of that card.

RNG has nothing to do in a competitive environment. There is no satisfaction whatsoever in winning out of RNG. It might be fun, I don't deny it, for casual play maybe but for me it's just a plain disturbance in my gwent experience.

Amen to that.

Top Bottom