Criticism/Opinion: Why Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't work for me in its current state.

+
I don't like the weird item leveling mechanic where I have to choose one shirt over another because of the armor stats. That might go well with a fantasy style game like the Witcher and even there I am not a big fan of it, but in CP2077 it feels forced. And finding a bra that works better than a police vest seems silly. Most of the numbers crunch should be done with implants in my opinion.

All the bulletsponges - I really just don't like them that much. I can understand that a fully augmented cybersamurai or some security in thick armor can take some punishment, but when a lowlife thug in a backalley can take up to 8 headshots or more it just feels ridiculous and makes the combat kind of boring. This one is also kind of tied into the bulletsponge issue: a lifebar is just the most unimaginative solution there is to show your targets state.

Sadly a lot of the game mechanics feel unpolished. They aren't all bad, just not working very well: Like the wonky driving (on pc), the somewhat weak gunplay or the AI that needs another go. I feel like another six months of development would have been good for the game. Not only to get rid all of the little clipping issues, glitches and bugs but to make every aspect of it a bit more well rounded.

I really enjoyed the story so far. And I'm a big fan of the designs and the athmosphere. The sound/soundtrack also seems pretty good (except for fireweapons, they lack punch). And CDPR did a wonderful job on the city enviroment, it really feels alive and interesting.
I don't hate this game and even the game mechanics I don't like could have been minor complaints if the whole game wouldn't feel so unrefined.
I can't wait till mod support drops, since the item leveling and bulletspongyness could be fixed with just changing enough numbers in the right files. And I really do hope that some of the issues I'm having are fixed by CDPR in upcoming patches, especially all the little buggy stuff.

But for now I will just drop it and avoid spoilers as good as possible.

Top Bottom