Cross-Platform Inequality (Mods/Add-ons)

+
Cross-Platform Inequality (Mods/Add-ons)

How much (if any) of an advantage do you believe add-ons for pc players give over a console player? I'm an Xbox one player but I watch some popular gwent streamers and I've been noticing some cool and very helpful add-on's that for example track what cards you and your opponent have played and gives you a running list of them. They seem somewhat harmless now but will there become a time where add-ons for PC players give a marginal advantage against a console player who will most likely never have the ability to use. Any thoughts on the topic?

It's not really PC players vs console players, but rather mod users vs normal users. A small, but important distinction.

The Gwent Tracker only reads data, it doesn't modify anything. Also, all the data it shows was already available to the player. It serves only as a memo. The advantage isn't that big, so it should be okay.

Cross-Platform Inequality

If you look at ranking and ratings for those on the PC and compare with those on Xbox Live, you'll find disparity, The reason is three fold so far as I can tell:
Number 1, PC users can utilize deck tracker to remind themselves of what their opponent has played as well as what cards remain for them to fish. This closes the skill gap ever so slightly between pro and casual CCG gamers.
Number 2, PC users can click Hide displayed card windows so that they can view their own and their opponents discarded piles. Xbox one uses a held trigger mechanic that doesn't allow futher interaction past looking at the gameboard while the displayed card window is hidden. This means you cannot tell if for instance you have played both of your Lacerates this match before Last Wishing to try to grab one. Poor example I know, but it happens a lot for SK, ST, and NR builds (the need to see the discard pile while deciding on what cards to pick).
Number 3, PC users have faster point and click interaction with the game, thus allowing for more thought time per turn and less navigation. Xbox Live requires movements with the controller that cost valuable seconds that could mean the difference between picking the right card with Priscilla and winning the round, or timing out and being forced to lose the round.

In and of themselves, these differences are perfectly fine while you play with those from your own platform. But once you can match up a PC player versus an Xbox Live player you'll see a fairly large advantage to the PC player. This needs to be taken into account before live I feel. A toggleable hide for console instead of a held trigger, a built in deck tracker for both platforms, and maybe 5 extra timeout seconds for console players might go a long way to equalizing the playing field.

All the points you have mentioned are correct. Especially the point that CDPR really needs to make a built-in tracker.

Incidentally, the first and last point show the advantages of using a computer over a console. Not just for this game, but for most games.

I kinda wish cross platform was off from the start, being on console myself I only played a handfull of games against PC players before I had to toggle it. The advantages you mentioned are spot on, that coupled with the fact I never got a GG vs a PC player (It's a minor thing but sportsmanship is nice) and that all the outside tools are accessible so easily make it so I'd rather not play cross play. Even just using the MS edge app now for forums is bad enough on console.

4RM3D;n8061120 said:
Shhhhh... don't wake the fanboys.

Seriously though, don't state something as a fact, when it's actually only a perceived misconception on your part.

Well I did say only a few games, PC players aren't all like that, just when vs a lowly console peasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the reasons I'm not playing right now. I looked at a tournament thread and realized that there are a ton of tools that most PC users use that are simply not available to console players. I also don't want to wait over a minute for matchmaking to work, so shutting off cross-play is not going to work.

If I understood your second point correctly, and you're talking about something like playing Priscilla -> Hide cards during the pick, then you're wrong. You can't look into anyone's graveyard during such instances, even if you're playing on PC.

PC players have unfair advantage over console players

Using 3rd party deck tracker gwentup they can keep track of cards in their deck and cards played by their opponent.

Either add something like this in the game itself or ban deck trackers.

It may not seem like a big deal to some but it can make the difference between winning and losing.

Last I checked you can browse both graveyards and see the order cards have been played on console. It's often a good idea to take your time anyway. Fast plays every turn leads to mistakes.

Well decktrackers do nothing you could not achieve with the game itself plus notes. I admit having an automated decktracker is an advantage because it takes less of your time and effort to do than the alternative would, but I doubt you would rope often if you did.

Multiplayer Question: About PC Mods

Are PC, Xbox, and PS4 all in the same player pool ? Do PC mods like Gwent/up,tracker give any advantage over a console opponent? If so, what's a solution ?

All players are in the same pool and the only advantage trackers give is showing which cards have been played, which does make things easier, but it isn't breaking the game. (Besides having statistics for winrate and stuff.)

Having a deck tracker is a pretty huge advantage vs not having one. Probably to the point where it should really be a feature of the game. It'd kinda be like if half of the pieces in chess were invisible so you had to remember all their locations, but you had the option of wearing special glasses so you didn't have to remember where those invisible pieces were.

Top Bottom