Crossbows, are they ever going to be useful?.

+
Crossbows, are they ever going to be useful?.

The damage they do is so low that there is literally no point in using them, except underwater that is, but then they oneshot the drowners no matter how bad or good they are.

It would be nice if they do some damage, not sure if they are bugged or it is intended, if it is intended then what's the point in upgrading them?, since even a very good one does little damage to be considered in a fight.

Is there any official statement about them?, I would like to use them from time to time, but right now there is no point.

Did you ever fight a siren (in the air, that is)? Or a flying Wyvern? Or a flying Harpy? Or a flying whatever? They are quite useful in that case.

Last edited:

IsengrimR

The damage they do is so low that there is literally no point in using them, except underwater that is, but then they oneshot the drowners no matter how bad or good they are.

It would be nice if they do some damage, not sure if they are bugged or it is intended, if it is intended then what's the point in upgrading them?, since even a very good one does little damage to be considered in a fight.

Is there any official statement about them?, I would like to use them from time to time, but right now there is no point.

To be fair, underwater combat is the only reason why I didn't discard the crossbow, right of the bat.

But the there are skills that improve crossbow damage and time-slowdown while aiming.

Apart from the obvious: "how the hell is a crossbow supposed to do any sort of damage under-water.", I've got other issues with the crossbow... namely one I mentioned - it's the ONLY way to deal with enemies under-water. Which is silly.

Crossbow is actually broken atm , i killed a folktail and a wyvern with 2 explosive bolts a couple of days ago , normal bolts dont do much dmg but the explosive ones need a nerf actually..

as stated: knocking "flyers" out of the air is its primary purpose!
but ive also used it as a "poser" finisher move on bandits etc
nothing like an xbow bolt to the face to settle an argument! also the exploding bolts can be sued to set off exploding barrels.
think outside the box a bit and it becomes a handy tool!

Crossbow is actually broken atm , i killed a folktail and a wyvern with 2 explosive bolts a couple of days ago , normal bolts dont do much dmg but the explosive ones need a nerf actually..

But the paper damage is ridiculously low, they must be bugged or something.

Crossbows have a few uses such as while underwater or knocking some creatures out of the sky to attack with a sword and the occasional hunting of deer/goat etc.. Damage wise though, it's pretty useless.

Last edited:
as stated: knocking "flyers" out of the air is its primary purpose!
but ive also used it as a "poser" finisher move on bandits etc
nothing like an xbow bolt to the face to settle an argument! also the exploding bolts can be sued to set off exploding barrels.
think outside the box a bit and it becomes a handy tool!

Mhhh.. nah, they are not well designed or they are just bugged. A crossbow that hits for 10 damage when your sword (and the enemies' arrows) hit 20x times that?. I don't buy it.

nobody was asking you too!
thats just my opinion on how i have fun with an element of the game!
if you dont enjoy it/ think its broken...thats fine.

how about hunting? ive happily used it to hunt down a herd of deer to stock up on skins and raw meat! chickens and geese as well. bit of fun hare target practice whilst hurtling along on Roach? makes for a fun pastime if you fancy not being serious for a few minutes.
a quick shot from it will disrupt an archers shot/draw as well!
you dont have to aim it! just tap and fire! in most cases it will stagger an opponent; enough to allow you to control being mobbed by two attacks etc
against Harpies you can produce some simply awesome combat with it!

my point of view? make the best of what youve got....there is far more to like than there is to hate!

If you really don't see any use for it you can of course unequip it or just not select it.

I have used them occasionally to shoot back at archers just for fun, much in the same way I always burn Witch Hunters....I really must start experimenting with the various bolt types.

Don't aim the thing, just tap the fire button.
Use it to stagger melee attackers, sure, but the primary uses are:
One-shot kills on underwater enemies.
Defending the boat from boarding sirens (generally a two-shot kill to an attached siren.)
Knocking flying enemies out of the air, no matter the size.
And for circling, bigger fliers, use the shotgun effect of the split bolt to guarantee a hit.

In no way should you ever regard the crossbow as a weapon. It's a utility device.

With exploding bolts you can cheese through some fights, though those bolts are expensive and rare.

nobody was asking you too!
thats just my opinion on how i have fun with an element of the game!
if you dont enjoy it/ think its broken...thats fine.

how about hunting? ive happily used it to hunt down a herd of deer to stock up on skins and raw meat! chickens and geese as well. bit of fun hare target practice whilst hurtling along on Roach? makes for a fun pastime if you fancy not being serious for a few minutes.
a quick shot from it will disrupt an archers shot/draw as well!
you dont have to aim it! just tap and fire! in most cases it will stagger an opponent; enough to allow you to control being mobbed by two attacks etc
against Harpies you can produce some simply awesome combat with it!

my point of view? make the best of what youve got....there is far more to like than there is to hate!

"Look at the bright side" is never a good argument. It is borderline Argument By Dismissal.

I found the fact that they knock flying creatures out of the air and kill swimming creatures rather useful; right there you have two distinctly unique situations in which the crossbow comes into play; additionally, the explosive bolts can be nice to soften up a few members of a group before you go charging in. Though I haven't tried it yet, it occurs to me the explosive bolts might also be useful in conjunction with the grenade which disperses explosive gas; I'll have to give that a shot next time I'm in the game.

Mhhh.. nah, they are not well designed or they are just bugged. A crossbow that hits for 10 damage when your sword (and the enemies' arrows) hit 20x times that?. I don't buy it.
Well, it's a tiny wrist-mounted crossbow, so shooting someone with it is more like a practical joke than an attempt to cause any harm.

That said, while I haven't leveled enough to get the explosive bolts yet, the ones that cause bleeding seem to be ok. Of course, it's only situationally useful, like when you really want to stay at a safe distance (better yet, in a place where the AI can't reach you - such as waist-deep in water).

if i can get to a higher vantage point, where the enemies can not come attack. then i will sit there and pick them off with the crossbow for fun.

Did you ever fight a siren (in the air, that is)? Or a flying Wyvern? Or a flying Harpy? Or a flying whatever? They are quite useful in that case.

Yrden turret works as well, infact it works better then the xbow, because it's range is just nice for the monster to come close to you then get knocked out of the sky, so you dont need to chase after the monster after its taken down from flying.

Top Bottom