Crossbows, are they ever going to be useful?.

+
When i move around i always remove the crossbow because i love to see only the swords on Geralts back.. I only equip it when i most need it. I have very rarely used the crossbow to tell you the truth.

Aside from downing airborne enemies, it is also highly useful underwater. Some enemies are also extremely vulnerable to the explosive shots. I killed the level 30 something Fiend from Skellige at level 23 because the exlosive shots have a chance to set the target on fire. It ticked for 1300 damage for about 3-4 secs.

Lol, go to a crowded area like the main square of Novigrad. Get a powerful crossbow like the Ursine or Feline one. And exploding bolts. Then shoot at the feet of a crowd of villagers. Priceless.

(No i'm not a maniac, just the animation of them dying is funny, as they were not supposed to. Like, that one guy sitting on his chair and smoking his pipe, once you shoot the bolt at him he just stops smoking suddenly, stares at nothing, gets up, stares at nothing some more, and then jump to the floor dead, with that animation from 90s' cartoons... )

Just for this, crossbow = beasterino

before trying the game i was very supicious about crossbows, but now im sure they are really useful! agains all kind of enemies, and in the water it's the only attack you have, it was a good idea

Currently playing with bolt and crossbow damage values, so they can be used properly.
And not only explosive bolts. But i'm not sure if i'm gonna finish it today... all that balancing is kinda tedious. >.>

Mod is coming tomorrow i guess. :)

Mhhh.. nah, they are not well designed or they are just bugged. A crossbow that hits for 10 damage when your sword (and the enemies' arrows) hit 20x times that?. I don't buy it.

alright, lets imagine for a moment crossbows are "well designed" and do good damage against enemies on foot. whats the point of using anything other than the crossbow then?

alright, lets imagine for a moment crossbows are "well designed" and do good damage against enemies on foot. whats the point of using anything other than the crossbow then?

Long reload times, still a little less damage....

Except... BALANCING D:

Attachments

• balancingWHAT.png
    balancingWHAT.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 42
Except... BALANCING D:

That is wayyyy underpowered needs more silver damage :p... I'll definitely check out some of your other mods though once I get my first play through finally finished (just need to go to final battle once I have time...).

On topic: Underwater is only use I've found for it as knocking down flyers is easier to do with signs or even with timing sword swing when they swoop down at you. I never found the crossbow useful for that...

Now I suddenly have the urge to try explosive arrows into a Novigrad crowd

Did you ever fight a siren (in the air, that is)? Or a flying Wyvern? Or a flying Harpy? Or a flying whatever? They are quite useful in that case.
just wait for them to get closer and use either Aard or Igni ;) no need for crossbow, witchers just don't use them because of their code

You can interrupt power attacks, magical attacks being prepared, and charging monsters such as trolls, cyclops or whatever with a well timed crossbow shot (break their momentum). They are not meant to really do damage outside of underwater or while steering a boat to fend off flying annoyances. As others have said, very good against anything flying to bring it down- shoot a griffin while its making a dive attack and watch it flip end over end onto the ground and be stunned. If you put points into the crossbow skill line and use the right type of bolts then I imagine you could turn it into a damage weapon, but by default its meant as your interrupt mostly aside from sea use. Its not a full size crossbow, its a small one handed crossbow with a quick loader (the merchant advertises it as such, which means the string pull is not that heavy since with a normal crossbow you have to lay the front on the ground, place your foot on it, and then use both arms to lift the string, and no Geralt is not super mutant strong enough to do it holding the crossbow in one hand and remember the crossbow is sold to average people and the merchant advertisement pitch supports that), so its not going to do the damage of an arbelist's siege weapon.

Geralt has the non-wrist mounted version of the Gabriel http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Gabriel_(weapon)

---------- Updated at 04:21 PM ----------

You ain't safe 'less you got a "Gabrielle"! The auto-cranked, one-handed "Gabrielle" ensures you'll get the first shot- and the last word!

That's true against average people, the ones you don't interact with who would be killed by dogs, just not against the roughnecks you fight- a bolt to the chest just slows a real man down, doesn't kill 'em.

nobody was asking you too!
thats just my opinion on how i have fun with an element of the game!
if you dont enjoy it/ think its broken...thats fine.

how about hunting? ive happily used it to hunt down a herd of deer to stock up on skins and raw meat! chickens and geese as well. bit of fun hare target practice whilst hurtling along on Roach? makes for a fun pastime if you fancy not being serious for a few minutes.
a quick shot from it will disrupt an archers shot/draw as well!
you dont have to aim it! just tap and fire! in most cases it will stagger an opponent; enough to allow you to control being mobbed by two attacks etc
against Harpies you can produce some simply awesome combat with it!

my point of view? make the best of what youve got....there is far more to like than there is to hate!

Exactly this. It may not be powerful but it is definitely effective.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I think you are seriously misunderstanding the role of crossbows in this game.
They aren't (and never were) meant as a primary source of damage. They are a tool. And an incredibly useful one, at times (i.e. flying or underwater enemies).

Top Bottom