Crossbows. Yay or nay?

+

Crossbows. Yay or nay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO if its in for hunting there is no reason it shouldn't be useable in combat, that's just stupid. Would be interesting as a side weapon, like the pole arms and daggers in Witcher 2.
Ive only read the Last Wish, but is the any reason in the books given for Witchers not using ranged weapons? I don't really see any reason Geralt shouldn't use a Crossbow, they are relatively easy to use with little training, and his heightened senses would definitely come in handy as a marksmen. He doesn't seem to have any sort of distaste for them either, IE knights thinking fighting from a range is cowardly and dishonorable.

They do "recoil", but forwards ~ a pull rather than a push movement as the heavy arms come forward. It isn't very pronounced but you can feel it.

It depends on how the specific crossbow is constructed. If it's made well, the movement (not a recoil, which is essentially a knockback) will be highly negated. While you could still feel it, obviously, it wouldn't cause the shooter to stagger back, like here: http://youtu.be/L1jyzf_b9iQ?t=16m34s. It really bugged me when I played the game :-.

I voted no because, in my opinion, the crossbow doesn't combine much with the witcher style. I may be talking gibberish, maybe the do use them at the books, but until the part that I have read witchers + crossbows haven't appeard =P. Anyway, concerning flying monsters, there should be allwyas alternatives, for example, magic. Maybe charge a sign to reach a longer distance and knock down a flying enimie or something like that. If they do put crossbow's in the game, I just hope that they give us alternatives on using something else that can achive a similar result, like that TW2 trailer "how to kill a witcher" (really funny one btw ) said: "fight your own way".

P.S.: Witcher wiki sais about these "Gabriel" that are like compact crossbow's.
P.S.: I haven't seen this screenshot, does anyone have a link? =P

1. It won't look well in his back
2.Will lead to a more stealth playing style, it doesn't fit on Geralt of Rivia, a witcher
3.Where the fuck he'll store the arrows? In a quiver? this will look terrible in his suit
4.More something to care about throught the game, it could lead in a dependency of arrows, and what happens if you're in a place far from civilisation, or are run out of money and need to lead a powerful monster? you'll return 139102490590904 meters to buy arrows or you'll start to collect flowers as a crazy person to make money, motivating an acumulation behave that happens in all rpgs, wich is a bad thing (I've red something about that in this forum).

*However, hunting with a sword would be just stupid, like running in a crazy way, unless if in that game you hunt only hostile animals, so they'll fight against you

1.Won't look well in his back
2.Will lead to a more stealth playing style, it doesn't fit on Geralt of Rivia, a witcher
3.Where the fuck he'll store the arrows? In a quiver? this will look terrible in his suit

Amen!!
Since people are throwing kindling back into the dying fire that is this thread I'll do it as well.
Its an eyesore IMO!!
If you must have in the game put it on roach's saddle IMO!!
They already said that the grid system is returning in TW3, so why not make Roach have a grid as well?
If Geralt had only two slots on its back and roach had 1 on her saddle we would be forced to leave one of the swords on her saddle in order to equip the crossbow, and this would force us in a non intrusive way to use the crossbow only for hunting, I even think it would look cool if we had a crossbow strapped to the saddle, to me anything is better that having that thing on his back 24/7. This is all just my opinion of course.

1. It won't look well in his back
4.More something to care about throught the game, it could lead in a dependency of arrows, and what happens if you're in a place far from civilisation, or are run out of money and need to lead a powerful monster? you'll return 139102490590904 meters to buy arrows or you'll start to collect flowers as a crazy person to make money, motivating an acumulation behave that happens in all rpgs, wich is a bad thing (I've red something about that in this forum).

*However, hunting with a sword would be just stupid, like running in a crazy way, unless if in that game you hunt only hostile animals, so they'll fight against you
1. Personal opinion
2. You don't know that
3. With that reason, you should get rid of throwing knives, traps and bombs aswell.
4. They could make arrows craftable.

Last edited:
Crossbows and @Kinley both confirmed. :p

Attachments

• zjSyjqZ.jpg
    zjSyjqZ.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 46

Jupiter_on_Mars

Guess I'm about the only one who welcomes the addition.
Oh, I mean besides the Reds themselves.

:teeth:

Jupiter_on_Mars

I just hope we don't get forced to carry it. Or at least it's not visible on the back.

I'm sure you won't be forced. But say an aerial monster is delivering ranged attacks. How would you riposte?
If Geralt is carrying it, it better be visible.

I don't really know. I guess it will be useful, if it works and fits.

I also never used knives (or bombs) in Witcher 2, but that doesn't mean they were pointless.

I believe a lot of the people are just saying NO to the crossbow because it's different. For a story and even gameplay perspective a crossbow is needed for monsters that fly. In the demo let's say if you tried to sneak up on the griffin but he can smell good he would have smelled you and you would not be able to strike him and leave a trail of blood. So Geralt did not get too close and shoot him then the trail of blood helped him. You guys are just not used to it that's why people are complaining.
But i will be honesent. It dose not look good on his back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom