Crossbows. Yay or nay?

+

Crossbows. Yay or nay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of reviving this thread, but I think it's a nice topic to discuss.
In my opinion crossbows are nay Geralt doesn't use one in the books and it doesn't suit his style at all

Although i understand that many people do not want to see Geralt using a crossbow, personally i do not really mind either way. Yes i agree that it's not something he uses in the books but i don't mind CDPR having some creative freedom and leaving it in the game, as long as its not overpowered or with unlimited ammo so it ruins the balance of combat.

Crossbow is in and we have to use it for underwater sections as I understand. So it is not going to be optional, since the devs said that Geralt can't use sword or magic underwater.
I just find the crossbow on the back to be too much and an eyesore next to the two swords. I would not mind it as much if it was strapped to Geralt's thigh. Some newer interviews suggests that Geralt might use a wrist crossbow, which is fine except it hinders his swordfighting.

From a gameplay standpoint the crossbow is just a replacement for daggers in Witcher 2. Personally, I like having a crossbow better. Using throwing daggers was never very exciting.

Outside of the under water sections I am probably never going to use the crossbow, or even have it equipped. Also the sword should have been the only thing we can use under water; crossbows by their very design can't be used because the bolt is held in place by gravity, and would float away. Even the firing mechanisms doesn't work underwater as the bolt would fly with no power, and veer off course within a few inches of "flight". There's a reason harpoon guns are fired from enclosed encasements, and launched with either a spring or pressurized air.

Last edited:
I'm a swords kinda guy, but I like that the option is there for me.
Someday, I bet people are going to Mod some cool, crazy ass shit into this game!
Anywho...If I want to pick off some bandits from a far while on horseback, I can.
RDR style meets TW3!! Fuck Yeah!!
I still think some cheat modes for this game would be super cool too tho, like RDR. :)

Last edited:
Someday, I bet people are going to Mod some cool, crazy ass shit into this game!
Anywho...If I want to pick off some bandits from a far while on horseback, I can.
RDR style meets TW3!! Fuck Yeah!!
I guess you can already do that in the game, not sure though.

I think ammo for the crossbow will be very limited, otherwise I can see it being OP as hell. Of course we haven't seen the game on a higher difficulty level, but from what we have seen so far, bandits seem to attack like tranquilized sloths.

Last edited:
Crossbow for underwater makes some sense; divers' spear guns are not different in principle. Swords are bloody useless in water: blood may be thicker than water, but water's a damn sight thicker than air.

I guess you can already do that in the game, not sure though.

I think ammo for the crossbow will be very limited, otherwise I can see it being OP as hell. Of course we haven't seen the game on a higher difficulty level, but from what we have seen so far, the bandits seem to attack like tranquilized sloths.

HaHa

I went for the second option, for hunting, I really liked the use of the crossbow in one of the demo where he shoot the griffin in order to better trace it, following the blood trail, it would be near impossible to properly follow a flying creature as opposed to a ground one using his Witcher sense, the use of the crossbow in that case was, in my opinion, a fantastic idea. I would prefer this kind of special usage of the crossbow rather than just another all around combat tool and I really hope to see more occasions like this one in the game, I think it's quite creative.

Crossbow for underwater makes some sense; divers' spear guns are not different in principle. Swords are bloody useless in water: blood may be thicker than water, but water's a damn sight thicker than air.

More useful than a bolt that couldn't possibly stay in place, and would float away. The sword as a swinging weapon wouldn't work great, but for stabbing tool it shouldn't be to bad. Now honestly I don't think any of these tools should be used under water. Geralt should break out a knife, or a spear when swimming.

No, underwater you need a mechanism with an escapement to generate damaging velocity. Even ridiculously strong muscles are downright useless without a mechanical assist (which can be as simple as an elastic sling).

As to whether the bolt would float away, that is dependent on the design of the weapon and is not an inherent disqualification.

No, underwater you need a mechanism with an escapement to generate damaging velocity. Even ridiculously strong muscles are downright useless without a mechanical assist (which can be as simple as an elastic sling).

As to whether the bolt would float away, that is dependent on the design of the weapon and is not an inherent disqualification.

No thrusting weapons are still very effective under water; that's why divers spears, and knives exist. So I looked up Geralt's crossbow to see if it was encased, or not. It is! So it actually wouldn't be an impossible to use as a weapon under water. That's the kind of attention to detail I like in games.

View attachment 9231

Attachments

• b376cce5b8394bf20c569f46fd5cc46bcfac9457.png__846x0_q80.jpg
    b376cce5b8394bf20c569f46fd5cc46bcfac9457.png__846x0_q80.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
No thrusting weapons are still very effective under water; that's why divers spears, and knives exist. So I looked up Geralt's crossbow to see if it was encased, or not. It is! So it actually wouldn't be an impossible to use as a weapon under water. That's the kind of attention to detail I like in games.

View attachment 9231

Divers use spears and knives to pin down and cut objects that are immobile or slow-moving or can be grasped. If you want to hit something that can dodge, you need to be much faster than your arm can be underwater.

I don't mind it. I think you can use your magic in combination with it to make fire arrows and such. I'm kinda disappointed that you can only use your crossbow underwater and not certain spells though.

Divers use spears and knives to pin down and cut objects that are immobile or slow-moving or can be grasped. If you want to hit something that can dodge, you need to be much faster than your arm can be underwater.

Well I will tell you right now that spear guns suck. I shot a catfish in the face from five feet away, and it bounced off his face like it didn't even bother him. That was with a modern device. I couldn't imagine using the crossbow that Geralt has with it having an effect on anything more than a karp sized fish; let alone a twenty foot long squid. Still this is a fantasy game not a reality simulator. If Geralt even got into the water wearing half the crap he has on it would end with him drowning.

I'm honestly not all that interested in underwater battle. If it's there for the occasional method to defend while swimming and for immersion, fine. But I could see it getting irksome if we have to fight every time we explore underwater. I'm wondering how Geralt will aim, tread water, reload bolts and react to getting hit...that's a lot of awkward things to animate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom