Crossbows. Yay or nay?

+

Crossbows. Yay or nay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I will tell you right now that spear guns suck. I shot a catfish in the face from five feet away, and it bounced off his face like it didn't even bother him. That was with a modern device. I couldn't imagine using the crossbow that Geralt has with it having an effect on anything more than a karp sized fish; let alone a twenty foot long squid. Still this is a fantasy game not a reality simulator. If Geralt even got into the water wearing half the crap he has on it would end with him drowning.

You're right; diving in mail is a good way to make an anchor of your corpse. But I've lived off what I could shoot with a Hawaiian sling, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief for underwater crossbows.

I feel like the crossbow should only be used as a mechanism to track monsters, not really as a combat weapon. This means, the damage it deals is very negligible (so negligible that it would be ridiculous to use in combat) but causes a blood trail that can be followed.

In the late middle ages, crossbows were generally used in sieges and pitched battles because they were too heavy to be used as a skirmishing weapon. Geralt already carries two massive swords and it would be a little silly seeing a large crossbow on his back as well. A miniature crossbow (loaded by pulling the cord with one hand) would work on horseback and on foot and is historically accurate.

TL;DR Only a small crossbow used for tracking monsters.

You're right; diving in mail is a good way to make an anchor of your corpse. But I've lived off what I could shoot with a Hawaiian sling, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief for underwater crossbows.

From my experience you have to be within a few feet of the fish to get it to work. Where did you do your fishing at? Coastal ocean waters, or lake? Also I love scoring a good twenty pound cat fish (with a line not a gun).

Well crossbows for witchers seems very out of lore to me, but I can see it as a useful gameplay / combat element that could be useful in some dangerous situations. For example as shooting striking griffin in the face and forcing it to fall / land on the ground, or just defending underwater. But I doubt that I will use it very often... I prefer the Sapkowski's Geralt who is the deadliest swordsman monk on the madhafoken land..

Geralt has already used:
Clubs
Daggers
Sticks
Spears
And even Brooms...

So the crossbow is definitely a Useful, and Proper weapon.

I Guess the Idea came from
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
The only problem I see with it is its Size, even that small, its got to be an annoying burden especially with a witcher who moves so much..

I say that it should be Retractable
It would look simpler and save up space, and as soon as he pulls it out the Prods eject out from the frame.

Kind of like the Phantom Blade from Assassin's Creed Unity.
Link:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71aQu8w3lYL._SL1458_.jpg

The cross bow is there in the books it is known for its popularity and its called gabriel where the army called it there little angel.
Its good they added it fits the books that I have read

The only problem I see with it is its Size, even that small, its got to be an annoying burden especially with a witcher who moves so much..
It's not that he doesn't already carry 5 or 6 different swords in his pocket (you can see it in one of the inventory screenshots), so not a big deal for me. It does look slightly odd on his back, but oh well.

By the way, to those who absolutely loathe the idea of this particular weapon, I'm almost sure you can carry it in your inventory, you don't actually have to equip it.

It's not that he doesn't already carry 5 or 6 different swords in his pocket (you can see it in one of the inventory screenshots), so not a big deal for me. It does look slightly odd on his back, but oh well.

By the way, to those who absolutely loathe the idea of this particular weapon, I'm almost sure you can carry it in your inventory, you don't actually have to equip it.

Also still need CDPR to confirm that it will only make the game harder without it and it's not a necessity.

Attachments

• 2296 - forum late necromancy post thread.jpg
    2296 - forum late necromancy post thread.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Thread Necromancy.jpg
    Thread Necromancy.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 40
  • uh2900,1260220742,ThreadNecromancer.jpg
    uh2900,1260220742,ThreadNecromancer.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 40
About the Crossbow

Can i not to use the crossbow at all in the entire game? Because im really loyal to the books and i am so so excited about the game, but a crossbow, i dont know, kinda breaks the climax and would like not to be penalized too much by not using it.
Will i have problems in a quest if i decide to just not use the crossbow, maybe in a quest ? Im just going to sell the one you give me and not using a single one ever.
Can i somehow solve crossbows problems with throwing knifes and bombs?

I'd like to know the answer to that question too, I don't even want to equip ugly crossbow on Geralt's back. If I won't be able to do that then this is a game breaker for me, I didn't buy AC: Brotherhood because of that stupid crossbow portruding out of Ezio's back.

Well now I can say that there was nothing wrong with the fact that Geralt began to use a crossbow. However, one claim can still be made: when using a crossbow under water, enemies die too fast.

Kinley;n7661940 said:
One hell of a necro there, boss.

This is an on-going discussion to anyone who wants to talk about the Crossbows, unless you rather have us infest the forums with new threads about Crossbows.

As an Ex-Moderator you should have more respect and smarts than that.

The crossbow and the fact we're forced to use it throughout the game is an entire joke.

Kobi_Blade;n7672290 said:
This is an on-going discussion to anyone who wants to talk about the Crossbows, unless you rather have us infest the forums with new threads about Crossbows.

As an Ex-Moderator you should have more respect and smarts than that.

The crossbow and the fact we're forced to use it throughout the game is an entire joke.

I'm not detecting any rudeness. The thread has been inactive for over 2 years. That is the sheer definition of a "necro". We like to avoid that, whenever possible.

The crossbow issue was also discussed ad-nauseam over time, and the fnal answer is that there isn't too much that can be done. It's a lmitation of the engine, similar to the way flying enemies die instantly if they land in water. The way it works now is the way it shall remain. (I imagine steps will be taken to avoid "apocalypse puddles" and the like in Cyberpunk.)

If anyone has any new information to add, feel free! If not, this thread shall be banished to its final peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom