CTD when Fast Traveling out of Skellige after "Final Preparations" mission begins.

+
CTD when Fast Traveling out of Skellige after "Final Preparations" mission begins.

After beginning the quest "Final Preperations" Fast Traveling out of Skellige to any other land will result in a CTD during the loading screen. I can Fast Travel to Skellige and I can Fast Travel within Skellige but when I try to Fast Travel out of Skellige, this results in the game crashing. This problem is game breaking because I'm now effectively stuck in Skellige and cannot Get back to Novigrad to complete the main-quest missions.

My PC specs are:
Witcher 3 Version 1.06
Windows 7 64bit
Intel i7 4790k
Nvidia GTX 970
16GB DDR3 Memory

I experienced this bug after the latest DLCs pack, cant leave Skellige, game just closes to desktop without any error message when the Dandelion backstory is running. But ive experienced this much much earlier, when doing Lamberts quest, what i did was fast travel to White Orchard(the sign post by the inn), then to Velen, worked out for me, but im still affraid this will break my game at some point :/

EDIT: and im almost 100% sure the latest DLCs are at fault, because it is my second playthrough of the game and never had a crash, only after installing the latest DLC :-/

And that's not good for me because I did the Isle of Mist mission, all the way to Bald Mountain with the New DLC installed. I tried loading up a save without the Skellige Armor but I still experienced crashing and I could not load any save without having the "Skellige's Most Wanted" DLC installed. It seems like the new mission is the most likely candidate but I can't verify it due to not having an available save that I can load without it.

I've also tried fast travelling to White Orchard, Vizima, and Kaer Morhen but none of those work. They all result in the same crash when traveling out of Skellige. I can travel to them from Novigrad and I can travel back to Novigrad/Velen from those places so it seems only Skellige is bugged.

I'm pretty much done with every side-quest and contract in the game and the only reason why I went back to Skellige was to do the new DLC quest and track down the Mastercrafted Feline armor.

Last edited:
I believe latest DLC is to blame as they only crashes I've had in two playthroughs were the inventory crash of 1.02. Even would CTD when loading Velen from the main menu (a save without the DLC installed). It loaded second time I tried it however. Thankfully I didn't have to leave Skellige to finish the game, but I'm worried this might effect a future playthrough.

I have this exact issue with Lambert's quest, after dealing with Hammond. Loaded a save during the quest but before meeting Hammond and I can leave Skellige no problem. Played through the quest again though and met the same issue.

update: escaped via White Orchard. Progressed slightly through the mission, tested fast travel back and forth between Novigrad and Skellige, everything seems ok again for now at least.

Last edited:
It is the DLCs. I just uninstalled them and loaded the save file just prior to installing them, its only a temp fix because I can't use the new DLC till it is patched but hopefully they will address it soon. The new DLC isn't that special anyway.

Hola!

This seems to be an issue with the new Skellige DLC. There is already a thread active for it HERE.

Let's bridge these two threads and grow the other one so the devs take notice more quickly. (Nuthin' personal mates. Other one's already bigger, is all.)

I can now confirm 100% that it's an issue of the "Skellige's Most Wanted" DLC. I uninstalled the DLC, loaded an old from before it was released and tested that fast travel from Skellige is working as normal. I then re-installed the DLC and used the same Save and attempted to fast travel out of Skellige and it crashed.

I experienced this bug after the latest DLCs pack, cant leave Skellige, game just closes to desktop without any error message when the Dandelion backstory is running. But ive experienced this much much earlier, when doing Lamberts quest, what i did was fast travel to White Orchard(the sign post by the inn), then to Velen, worked out for me, but im still affraid this will break my game at some point :/

EDIT: and im almost 100% sure the latest DLCs are at fault, because it is my second playthrough of the game and never had a crash, only after installing the latest DLC :-/
Same CTD for me yesterday. But after 10 retryies it worked. I just went to main town of Faroe and took there a quest from some guy who s looking for his family instead of trying to fast travel from village with bandints. Then i did nothing with this quest and just tryied to fast travel from Skellige again and it worked.
BTW: trying to go to White Orchard didnt help.

I also just started having fast travel crashes after going to Skellege and having the latest DLC. I use the GOG version, not steam, and do not use galaxy. Just manually downloaded all patches and DLC as they release. Sadly I DO NOT have a save file from before the DLC as I didn't go to Skellege for some time after I installed it and therefore didn't realize the problem existed.

I have tried using boats, selecting different quests, going to white orchard and many other fast travel spots. I have tried uninstalling the DLC but of course i cannot load my save then.

Another issue is once I get in the game, if I even try to manually load a game after I've already started playing, say I messed up so I want to reload a save from a few minutes earlier, it crashes every time as well. Basically ANYTIME I get the loading screen story update with dandellion I get a crash, except on the very first initial game load.

I have zero problems until this. CDPR FIX PLZ JEEEBUS

This is happening for me too. Is there a fix for this? What if I complete the Most Wanted quest? Is there a way to uninstall the DLC from the Steam version?

---------- Updated at 12:48 AM ----------

From the other thread, this worked for me:
There is a work around (worked for me, at least):The game crashes on loading screens when in Skellige: this may be either due to fast travel or loading another save. As soon as Dandelion starts talking, CTD.What I found out is that the crash only happens if the FIRST save you load is in Skellige. So, what you have to do is:- Boot up the game and load a save in Velen, Kaer Morhen, anywhere that's not skellige FIRST.- Pause and load your Skellige save.That's all. Fast Travel works again. Now, this has to be done every time you boot the game. Sort of inconvenient; but for me and some others it did the trick.(If you don't have a save outside of Skellige, download one from Nexus Mods. It's what I did)

Top Bottom