Culprit of dx12 crashes found: DLSS frame generation + Reshade

+
Hi,

This might have been posted already, but I found an in-game graphics setting that causes crashing in dx12.

It's the DLSS frame generation function. Once you turn it off, the crashing stops. Hopefully CDPR can fix this soon, as this feature is really needed when maxing out all the graphical features. I haven't done extensive testing so far, so there might be more issues. But the almost instant crashes I got before, stopped after disabling frame generation.

My system: 10600K, 4090, 32GB RAM, Windows 11, most recent updates and drivers all installed

Last edited:
Hi,

This might have been posted already, but I found the issue that causes crashing in dx12.

It's the DLSS frame generation function. Once you turn it off, the crashing stops. Hopefully CDPR can fix this soon, as this feature is really needed when maxing out all the graphical features.

My system: 10600K, 4090, 32GB RAM, Windows 11, most recent updates and drivers all installed
using dllss on rtx 2xxxx serie GPU (no frame generation ) , having crash too when changing RT setting
i'll try FSR 2 to see if there's some issues with dlss
when changing your RT setting game stop crash with dlss generation turn off ..?
or its just you don't get anymore random crash in-game ..?

using dllss on rtx 2xxxx serie GPU (no frame generation ) , having crash too when changing RT setting
i'll try FSR 2 to see if there's some issues with dlss
when changing your RT setting game stop crash with dlss generation turn off ..?
or its just you don't get anymore random crash in-game ..?

I see. There are probably several issues at work here. I only kept the game (the beginning of a New Game+) open about 10 minutes, though. But for me the crashes before happens within 50 seconds of loading the game.

Maybe if I play for an hour or so, then more rare random crashes will turn up. I'm going to play it some more tonight or tomorrow. I'll give an update, on how it works.

Toying with RT settings, especially RT Ambient Occlusion causes the CTD.. if you enable RT, do not disable AO..

Toying with RT settings, especially RT Ambient Occlusion causes the CTD.. if you enable RT, do not disable AO..
Been playing for a while without frame generation, and no crashes so far. At least with a 4090. The problem is, certain areas become really choppy without frame generation, so it's definitely needed with settings at max.

Btw., this game looks amazing in Next Gen version. The difference is huge. The cutscenes are truly cinematic now with the updated visuals. Amazing. Hopefully CDPR can deliver on some polishing and bugfixing soon.

Last edited:
Been playing for a while without frame generation, and no crashes so far. At least with a 4090. The problem is, certain areas become really choppy without frame generation, so it's definitely needed with settings at max.

Btw., this game looks amazing in Next Gen version. The difference is huge. The cutscenes are truly cinematic now with the updated visuals. Amazing. Hopefully CDPR can deliver on some polishing and bugfixing soon.
Yeah, next gen looks awesome. But some fixes are definitely needed. somehow, FSR vs TAAU gives just few frames extra, which is quite strange.. and there are few settings that can give quite a boost in FPS, like for example decreasing foliage distance, or grass density, or turning off hairworks..but neither of these settings help to get to 60FPS with RT on my Rx6700xt..

OK, I removed my Reshade files inside the Witcher folder, and the crashes stopped. It isn't enough to disable the filter, the files has to be deleted.

Hopefully can be fixed. Reshade helps so much for image quality, and is very widely used. At least now I have a high and smooth framerate again, it seems I got my money's worth with 4090. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom