Curious about one thing ?

+
Curious about one thing ?

I don't think it has been mentioned but one thing CDPR did that was by far the most overlooked thing was facial expressions of the characters during conversation . Not major visuals but subtle ques that seemed natural.
I am curious as to the tech used was it like what LA Noire used or something new ?

I would guess they did some form of motion capture, it is not on the level of LA Noire, but it is damn good that is for sure.

It's not motion capture:

How did you do the facial animations? It's a game that has lots of dialogue-heavy cut-scenes, but you have lots of unique characters and facial animations.
We couldn't use motion capture because the game is just too big. We have thousands of lines of dialogue, and we translated them into several languages. So that was just impossible. We could have done motion capture for the English facial lip syncing and then just added subtitles, but we didn't want to do that. We created the lip animations from scratch for the characters. But the system was very flexible; it would take three to four days to create a completely new face that has the same motion capability as any other character.
There's no difference between the main characters, secondary characters, and crowd characters. They all represent the same quality. It needed tweaks for the 3D software engine to make it work, but it worked well overall.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-the-witcher-3-made-characters-look-unique-with/1100-6426894/

I /think/ it was called something like FaceFX? or something like that? but they hand animate each expression/lip sync and so on.

Meh, I prefer TW3 facial animation over LA Noire...
So do I . I was using LA Noire because it was the first game I could think of that was trying to convey an ability to read emotional response . Witcher 3 nailed it and the tech part of it interested me in wondering about the process .

Top Bottom