Curious About some things<possible spoilers>

+
Curious About some things&lt;possible spoilers&gt;

Now after having almost completed TW1 for the 2nd time I'm left with some questions for which have yet to be answered. When you enter Old Vizima the very 1st time why does King Foltest come off like he's not very happy to see Geralt even though Geralt had cured his daughter Adda of the Striga curse years earlier?Now when Geralt is asked to break the Stirga curse again from Adda. You would think that he wouldn't want no part of it due to the fact that Adda wanted to have him killed after he emerged from the Kikmore queen's lair. But yet he agrees to try and help lift the curse once again. Seems like the better way would be to lift the curse, which I've done both play throughs. Wouldn't it have been better for Geralt just to kill her therefore not having to ever worry about the curse again? Also it was mentioned that Geralt was brought back from the dead who did it and why?Just some things for which I was curious about and thought maybe someone here could clear them up for me.

Give Foltest a break. Even kings have bad days, and Geralt is the first person he's come across who isn't a fool or a traitor. He immediately unburdens himself to Geralt and places a great deal of trust in him. It's just Foltest's way to speak bluntly and have no patience with indecision, not what I'd characterize as "not very happy to see him".

Granted the king wasn`t having a good day but i think it was in the way he said"and what`s he doing here ?" . From the tone of his voice when the witcher came through the gate it sounded as though Geralt was one more problem to deal with instead of the solution to most of them. At least that`s the way it sounded to me.

redneck1st said:
When you enter Old Vizima the very 1st time why does King Foltest come off like he's not very happy to see Geralt even though Geralt had cured his daughter Adda of the Striga curse years earlier?
If you read the story about how Geralt lifted the striga curse, you know that Geralt doesn't take direction well, not even from kings. Given that the country is already in an uproar -- "a brothel on fire," I believe Foltest said -- Geralt has the potential to be a problem. Geralt ENDS UP not being a problem, but Foltest doesn't know that when he first lays eyes on him, and it certainly is true that he's not exactly biddable.
Now when Geralt is asked to break the Stirga curse again from Adda. You would think that he wouldn't want no part of it due to the fact that Adda wanted to have him killed after he emerged from the Kikmore queen's lair. But yet he agrees to try and help lift the curse once again.
It's been quite awhile since I played Chapter 5, but doesn't Foltest threaten to harm Geralt's friends if he doesn't try to lift the curse? I thought I remembered that.As to lifting the curse or killing her, the player has a choice. I have always lifted the curse, not killed her, because the way I figure it is this. Adda was in a coma for the first seven years of her life. From the ages of 7 - 14, she was a striga. So she didn't start learning how to be human until she was 14. It's a wonder the girl can even talk! Seriously. I mean, we know how seriously being abused as a child can affect a person; what the hell must it be like to spend the first half of your life as a freaking STRIGA? Adda is a little uncontrolled and a little bloodthirsty, but I figure for a former striga, she's really doing VERY well.
Seems like the better way would be to lift the curse, which I've done both play throughs. Wouldn't it have been better for Geralt just to kill her therefore not having to ever worry about the curse again?
That's one of the cool things about the game -- you get to decide. I figure a lot of wrong was done to this girl, so I'm willing to cut her a lot more slack than I'd cut most people. And having Foltest beholden to you is not such a bad thing, either. But if you think she's better off dead, you can do that. Geralt is portrayed as a very practical man but a fairly kind and moral man. When it comes to Adda, which side should win out: the practical side or the kind one?
Also it was mentioned that Geralt was brought back from the dead who did it and why?
Nope. The Lady of the Lake implies that she brought him back but doesn't actually say so. The King of the Wild Hunt states that he brought him back, but since he tells a lot of lies at the same time, I don't see that as a definitive answer. I'm hoping that we'll learn the answer to this important question in TW2.I wanted to know the answer to this question SO much that I raced through my first play through of The Witcher, so that I could find out who did it. I was desperately disappointed when the question went unanswered, and I was also terribly disappointed that I'd played though the best RPG ever made so quickly my first time through. Sure, one can play again, and I did, but nothing's like your first time. I now sometimes warn new players that this question will go unanswered and advise them to take their time the first time they play the game.

Tommy- It was in the way for which King Foltest said "and whats he doing here" for which lost me. Knowing the fact that he had cured Adda of the Stirga curse years earlier. Even with all for which is going on you would think that king Foltest would have been more greatful seeing Geralt since he had saved his daughter before.Corylea-Geralt might not take direction well but thats not the main issure here. After all he did in fact lift the curse once before which should have accounted for something here. I mean come on now he could have just killed her the first time he met up with her but he didn't. He cured her instead. As for Adda being a stirga from the age of 7 to the age of 14 as the books state: not sure on this going by what you stated here; The first 7 years of her life she was human so she would have learned most human traits in that time frame including talking and acting human. Would have been different if she hadn't been human the first 7 years. So you would think that with Geralt lifting the curse from her she wouldn't have been so ready to kill him when he emerged from the Kikimore Queen's cave but try to explain. Which she didn't she just wanted to kill him.Now like you the first time for which I played through the game and found out that he was brought back from the dead it really got me curious on who was the one for which brought him back. So I went through as quickly as I could so that I could find out who in fact brought him back. Only to find out that we don't get the question positively answered. I was a little upset about that there. This time I'm played through it a little more slowly trying to make sure that I all of the quest. So far I think I've gotten them all. Not sure to find out though if I missed any.Hopefully we will find out as to who brought Geralt back from the dead and why in TW2. All we can do now is hope and wait till May 17 for TW2. Of course in March I do have DA 2 which I'm looking forward to.

About Foltest, he is a douche. If I'm not wrong Adda tried to kill Geralt because he would tell Foltest that Adda tried to overthrow him while he was gone.

redneck1st said:
As for Adda being a stirga from the age of 7 to the age of 14 as the books state: not sure on this going by what you stated here; The first 7 years of her life she was human so she would have learned most human traits in that time frame including talking and acting human. Would have been different if she hadn't been human the first 7 years.
But she WASN'T human for the first seven years. I think you missed this, in my previous post:
redneck1st said:
Adda was in a coma for the first seven years of her life.
Adda's mother died when Adda was born, and the child was thought to be dead, too. Adda and her mother were interred together in a large sarcophagus, and they rested there for seven years. After seven years of being effectively dead in a sarcophagus, Adda turned into a striga, broke out of the sarcophagus, and started terrorizing the populace.So, no, she didn't have seven years of humanity. She had seven years of being 99% dead, followed by seven years of strighood.

Geralt could have any of a number of motives for saving Adda, even though she came within a liplock of having him used for target practice:Foltest wants his daughter saved, and Geralt has much to gain by helping the king. On the other hand, he and his party are going to be on the king's bad side if he botches it. Even if Foltest is in a weak position, he could come down very hard on a few civilians.Maybe Geralt wants to gain favor with Radovid, who has a distinctly non-platonic fancy for Adda. Satisfied kings make good patrons.Or Geralt is the sort of witcher who has dealt with monsters for so long that he knows the difference between lesser and greater monsters, and he knows that Adda is really being used by a much greater monster. Whether saving Adda is morally right, or saving Adda lets him uncover the greater monster, it's the best course of action.

@CoryleaOk you say that for the first 7 years Adda was in a comma. Having played through the game twice now I've yet to read or hear any mention of this in game; as such I didn't have a clue that she had been been in a common during my play throughs. Where did you find your information or was it in the books for which I've never had the opportunity to read? As for in game I've read each and everything that I was able to pick up or buy' this includes all the books. @Guy- Well now all your statements got me to thinking and your right helping Adda and breaking the curse could in fact gain him favor with not only King Foltest but with King Radovil as well. All but forgot about him having the hots for Adda. @Guy- Also the fact that with my leaving the Werewolf go as well as for the Ghoul in the crypt I had come to the conclusion that not all monsters are in fact dangerous and need to be killed. Thanks for bringing these things to my attention. Which I had totally haadn't even thought of when I posted.

GuyN039wah said:
Give Foltest a break. Even kings have bad days, and Geralt is the first person he's come across who isn't a fool or a traitor. He immediately unburdens himself to Geralt and places a great deal of trust in him. It's just Foltest's way to speak bluntly and have no patience with indecision, not what I'd characterize as "not very happy to see him".
I want to know why Foltest can bed his sister and no one takes him to task for it.

slimgrin said:
slimgrin said:
I want to know why Foltest can bed his sister and no one takes him to task for it.
Thats a good question there one for which I don't have an answer for. I'll have to admit that maybe back than it wasn't common practice and frowned upon but wasn't illegal.

slimgrin said:
slimgrin said:
"It's good to be the king."Seriously, Foltest's detractors and enemies do use it against him, but it doesn't seem to carry much weight with the people (who are more concerned over the crazy edicts being issued in his absence), and Foltest has done well to surround himself with yes-men and toadies and a loyal force of guards.

It just seems a little weird, that even some of his cronies don't ask him to lay off his own sister. At the very least I would have expected Geralt to say something, but he's too busy licking the king's boots. I think he came across as too respectful, even a bit fawning to Foltest when he spoke with him

redneck1st said:
Ok you say that for the first 7 years Adda was in a comma. Having played through the game twice now I've yet to read or hear any mention of this in game; as such I didn't have a clue that she had been been in a common during my play throughs. Where did you find your information or was it in the books for which I've never had the opportunity to read? As for in game I've read each and everything that I was able to pick up or buy' this includes all the books.
Where did you get your copy of the game, and what edition do you have? I ask because the boxed Enhanced Edition of the game came with the short story about Geralt's breaking the striga curse, printed and bound into a little booklet. The game's manual was in PDF on the disk, but the short story was printed and bound. :)If you bought the game on Steam or Direct2Drive or a place like that, I don't know what they do about the story. But that story is supposed to be included with the Enhanced Edition, so maybe they give you a file with it somewhere?

@Slimgrin- The reason for which they dont tell King Foltest to lay off his sister is the fact that she died giving birth to Adda if I remember correctly. Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong on this. As for Geralt towards the King I'd have to agree with you. Of course for the most part Geralt to me seems to much of a yes man. He needs to tell him like it is. @Corylea- I've got TW1 Enhanced for which I purchased through game stop a few months ago. And yes it did come with a couple of disks and a booklet. Installed the game skimmed through the book as it was installing and started playing the game. Learned the game like I've learned most things with the computer through trial and error. This includes building and reparing them. Guess I'll have to sit down and look more closely at the book. And to think that I thought that all the book was was a manual. "Manual we don't need no stinkin' manual".

redneck1st said:
@Slimgrin- The reason for which they dont tell King Foltest to lay off his sister is the fact that she died giving birth to Adda if I remember correctly. Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Yes, she did die giving birth to Adda.The thing about Foltest is that he wanted to MARRY his sister Adda. His advisors DID restrain him -- they kept him from marrying the girl. Foreign kings tried to get Foltest to marry their daughters, and Foltest's advisors had to keep him from insulting their ambassadors to their faces. Yes, the man who got his own sister pregnant -- that man is what Foltest was like AFTER they sat on him and tried to make him behave.
As for Geralt towards the King I'd have to agree with you. Of course for the most part Geralt to me seems to much of a yes man. He needs to tell him like it is.
In some of the short stories in The Last Wish, Geralt is quite good at telling kings and queens where to get off. I read one of the novels in French, and in that book, he uses the familiar "you" with the queen, rather than the formal "you." This is sorta like calling her "Hey, Queenie" instead of calling her "Your Majesty." :)I think Geralt was being careful with Foltest 1) Because he wanted something, and2) IronicallyYou can say, "Your wish is my command" if YOU know that the KING knows damned well that his wish is no such thing. And Foltest does know, believe me. :)
I've got TW1 Enhanced for which I purchased through game stop a few months ago. And yes it did come with a couple of disks and a booklet. Installed the game skimmed through the book as it was installing and started playing the game. Learned the game like I've learned most things with the computer through trial and error. This includes building and reparing them. Guess I'll have to sit down and look more closely at the book. And to think that I thought that all the book was was a manual. "Manual we don't need no stinkin' manual".
There are TWO booklets that come with the EE: one is a walkthrough and the other is the short story. (The actual MANUAL is on the disk in PDF.) If I remember correctly, you came here and asked a LOT of questions when you first started playing the game. Maybe that manual could have been useful?

Top Bottom