Currency in Witcher 3(Orens or Crowns)?

+

• Total voters

So I feel it's time for me to start a new topic, with poll, as always. Well so far at least.

Maybe the devs have thought about it, maybe you have...or not, but considering Witcher 3 will feature(among other places) the bustling city of Novigrad, which currency should be used for transactions?

Those playing the two witcher games may only know of the Temerian Oren featured there. Read the books however and you know that in Novigrad(Redania) they mainly deal in Novigrad Crowns. I even remember that the Novigrad Crown are considered more valuable than the Oren, but no matter.

So what do you think? Shall the Witcher 3 keep the Oren out of simplicity, or introduce the Novigrad Crown? Maybe there is room for both currencies? Or more?

While on the topic, shall you also be able to invest in gems like you can in the first Witcher game(and it's also mentioned in the books)?

POLL has now been RESCUED. Unfortunately all votes since before the forum have been discarded. I've tried to improve the poll as well, since its resurrection, but it simply won't let me configure it further. Nonetheless, enjoy! :D

Last edited:
Since the world map is extended, we might come in need of Florins ! I stand by the idea of multiple currency and asking merchants for changing but I personally disagree about doing business and investment.
(a witcher is not an assassin )

There should be just Orens, no need to turn the game into The Witcher: Tycoon Edition or something.

BlackLeopard said:
Since the world map is extended, we might come in need of Florins ! I stand by the idea of multiple currency and asking merchants for changing but I personally disagree about doing business and investment.
(a witcher is not an assassin />/>/>)

By doing business I meant like in Witcher 1, like selling loot. In Witcher 1 you can find, sell or buy gems like diamonds and sapphires etc. I am not thinking of Geralt buying estates or farms or anything.

BellatorPiusGratus said:
By doing business I meant like in Witcher 1. I am not thinking of Geralt buying estates or farms.

Would you please explain. I don't recall doing any business in TW1.

Edit: Now I get it. being able to deal in small valuable goods would be nice.

gregski said:
There should be just Orens, no need to turn the game into The Witcher: Tycoon Edition or something.

TW3 is growing to be quite much complex than its predecessors. which means that having some parts still simple will make it unbalance. devs are working tirelessly to make this game perfect in several aspects, and to make players have a real feeling of being there. so why opening the door to complains while it can be avoided easily ?

Having multiple currencies within one faction seems a bit excessive. But having Crowns or Orens for the Northern Kingdoms and Imperial Florins for Nilfgaardian territories could be a good idea. It could be used to balance the economy better and make better goods available at one side, e.g. Florins are scarcer but you can acquire high quality gear with it that has been brought to the frontlines from within the Empire.

BlackLeopard said:
TW3 is growing to be quite much complex than its predecessors. which means that having some parts still simple will make it unbalance.

Yeah, exactly, it's growing to be much more complex that's why adding unnecessary complexity in areas that don't really matter for a game driven by story, not world simulation, doesn't make sense for me.

My proposition:

Novigrad and Redania - Novigradian Crowns.

Skellige Islands - Cintran Ducats or something another.

Vellin (No Man's Land) - IMHO Nilfgaardian Florens in Imperial territories and Temerian Orens in Temerian territories.

It's easy.

Well in the cinematic trailer soliders paid Geralt with "imperial gold" so i think it is likely we will see nilfgaardian florens in the game anyway.

But between Temerian Orens and Novigraadian Growns I would say definitely the latter. Different currencies in different countries and cultures are big part of the witcher world in the books so methinks it should be Highlighted more in Witcher 3.
I felt it was kinda strange that in Temeria, Aedirn and Kaedwen they all used orens in witcher 2 anyway.

SaladinBarchan said:
Well in the cinematic trailer soliders paid Geralt with "imperial gold" so i think it is likely we will see nilfgaardian florens in the game anyway.

But between Temerian Orens and Novigraadian Growns I would say definitely the latter. Different currencies in different countries and cultures are big part of the witcher world in the books so methinks it should be Highlighted in Witcher 3. I felt kinda strange that in Aedirn and Kaedwen they used orens in witcher 2 anyway
Yes... in "Blood of Elves" people in Kaedwen used Ducats. Orens in Kaedwen or Novigrad look like Polish Złoty in USA or France.

I created a similar topic a while back. Since then my mind has been changed some. Really they should either stick with ovens since their traditional or switch to crowns since they seem to be universally accepted.

Get used to florens, folks. :)

Update the poll, please. Add multi-currency as an option.

About investing and gems: Geralt was never a businessman, and he never wasted his time on such crap. If in TW3 he is on a personal urgent mission, he sure as hell won't bother with accumulating wealth. TW3 may be an open world, but it is not a sand-box, to have this economy system. Personally, every player is free to buy any junk he wants and keep it in his chest, but I am against any in-game economic system.

While I'd like to see different kinds of currency from different regions, I have to agree with Gregski that it might add unnecessary complexity, and not the fun kind. If we really wanted an elaborate economy, CDPR would have to include merchants that take foreign money, merchants that don't, merchants that give you a bad exchange rate, merchants who give you a better exchange rate, actual working banks, and so on. And this in essence is The Witcher: Tycoon Edition.

The best I can think of is declaring a universal currency like the Novigradian crown and establishing fixed exchange rates for the others like the Temerian Oren or the Nilfgaardian floren in terms of that one. Let's also avoid the stupidity of Dragon Age: Origins where 100 silver coins automatically become 1 gold coin. For example from the saga we know that:

(At the time of The Last Wish) 1 Crown = 6.5 Orens
500 Orens = 45 Florens --> 1 Floren ~ 11.11 Orens --> 1 Floren ~ 1.71 Crowns --> 1 Crown ~ 0.58 Florens.

If we use these approximate conversion rates there is a lot of rounding to do. So the next thing would be to round everything up to an integer and always use currency numbers that are multiples of these conversion rates, unless we want to handle quarters and cents. For example, let's assume the cost of anything is a multiple of 2 and let's assume exchange rates changed in favor of Novigrad and Nilfgaard considering King Foltest's death:

1 Crown = 8 Orens
1 Floren = 16 Orens --> 1 Floren = 2 Crowns --> 1 Crown = 0.5 Florens.

For simplicity sake let's assume the smallest possible sum is 1 Oren, so no cents of an Oren or anything like that. You need at least 8 orens to get 1 crown, at least 16 orens to get 1 floren and at least 2 crowns to get 1 floren. Also, prices can only be 1 or an even number, or a multiple of 8 or 16 for merchants who accept foreign currency.

This sounds manageable, but add one more type of currency and things start getting complicated. So we either

1) Create a very complex economy that takes a big chunk of financial planning and development time.
2) Get a small amount of currency types (still leaving others out) and create a fake economy where prices are nice multiples of each other.
3) Pretend all is fine and choose one type of currency, probably the Crown or for old times sake the Oren.

Just my 2 cents 1 Floren, 2 Crowns or 16 Orens :)

Top Bottom