Current Events: Multiple Attacks in Paris, France

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This puts it kinda all together, for the newcomers to the thread and the horrible events of tonight:

The Attacks in Paris: What
Happened at Each Location

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/13/world/europe/paris-shooting-attacks.html?_r=0

Edit: Well, I guess the situation in Calais is confirmed, in favor if polish journalist, makes you think that one should not put so much trust in mainstream big media, where censorship from various reasons may be represented more than one could think:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalaisMigrantSolidarityActionFromUK/permalink/940357619372319/

Last edited:
ar·gu·ment
noun
2. a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

That's great and everything, but let's focus on the topic at hand rather than semantics, cheers. Confusion in times of crisis about the validity of data is common and normal. At no point did either ciri or sagi verbally attack each other so imho your comment is uncalled for.

back to the topic at hand, has there been any sign of deceleration of the situation?

I Am french and even if i don't live in Paris anymore i just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your concern, no matter where you came from. The situation is pretty bad now, at least 140 people has been killed, 100 just au Bataclan. For the rest don't believe everything you see or read, there is too soon for specific information. If you have some German friends in town for the football match, please tell them to use the hashtag #Offenetüren, it mean "open door" and with that they can find people able to help them stay safe at least for the night.

Sorry for my bad english. Merci a tous.

OK, cool down on the politics please. (Yes, slim, you.)

And generally. Anything like this always generates a lot of rumour and incorrect information. People may post things that turn out to be incorrect, so please neither offer nor take offence, just update if something turns out to be wrong. And yes, give sources where available.

Last edited:
Is the situation in Calais confirmed?

I'd hestitate to say yes, but I have seen evidence that suggests it is current.

However it isn't clear how the fire started IMO, and there was a fire and explosion earlier this month which was not related to any terrorist attacks in Paris.

However it isn't clear how the fire started IMO, and there was a fire and explosion earlier this month which was not related to any terrorist attacks in Paris.

there is speculation it is a coincidental fire resulting from people trying to warm themselves and the wind blew it in the wrong direction. this is the explanation so far, assuming it was accidental.

A few hours ago I heard a report that there were attacks happening other places in France, but since this has not been commented on by the French government or the media I assume it is a false report.. There is the situation in Calais, but at this point we do not know what the details of that situation is.

About Calais, this is confirmed, but this has nothing to do with the events in Paris. The fire is accidental and started because of an electrical problem in a camp of refugees in La Jungle de Calais (Jungle of Calais). There have been many clashes last days between the residents and refugees, but it has nothing to do with the fire apparently.

Source: http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/c...jungle-2500-m2-touches-pas-ia33b48581n3159944

About the Bataclan attack
4 terrorists are dead, among which 3 by activating their explosive belt...

Source: BFMTV (french TV channel)

About the two explosions near Le Stade de France (France Stadium)
They were caused by two kamikazes (one in the front of a McDonald)...

Sources: many...

Last edited:
The most terrible thing about it - there is no real protection.
Doesn't matter how any Interior ministry works well - it's sipmly impossible to prevent all the acts of terrorism. Even in authoritarian states with total control. Difficult to believe that really peaceful life doesn't exist anywhere today.

It's hard to not become paranoid with all these circumstances but we have to be careful for ourselves and the ones we love. Stay sharp.

Well the deaths of these people are tragic and the terror attacks horrific, but the worst things is what they cause in the aftermath. Increase of extremism on every side of the political and religious spectrum. Further restriction of rights through the government and increased control. Terrorists hardly have to do a thing besides killing a few people here and there and the people and governments will do the rest and kill of whatever freedom, cultural advances and peace we had in the last couple of decades and sometimes even longer. Wouldn't surprise me, if it would come to a civil war at this point in europe or the west in general. (I feel reminded of the fall of rome. Though last time it was our ancestors that brought about the dark ages. This is NOT a critique of any religion, culture or anything. Just seing parallels. Won't go into details, since that would be political.)

@Mataresa Please, don't start this debate.
You can think whatever you want about the decision of the French government but, please, keep it for you. These days are not about politics but dedicated to the victims of terrorism and barbarism.

I am French, I live in Paris (I was not there yesterday), and this is such a terrible thing to see your town and your country bleeding in such tragical moments.
My heart goes out to those who lose someone, those who got injured and all my compatriots.
France will stand together.

I think it's nearly impossible to be completely "non political", especially when expressing opinions and not just news headlines. There's a lot to say about this, and discussion of its consequences will inevitably be considered political even if we are actually concerned about the French people.

I think Mataresa has a good point. This is tragic, but it might lead to longer lasting, drastic changes.

@Loupgris16 There is no debate being started. And this has nothing to do with any specific government. This and events like this is why I don't look at the news anymore. Makes me too upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom