Curse You GOG!

+
What they are trying to do is bring new customers to GOG. Force them to create a account claim few free games and hopefully spend money on the website.. and it will hopefully work but I don't fully support it.

I understand they looked at the recent W2 sell numbers and said "the time has come for us to forget about W2 and use it to benefit the both studio and future CDPR games" Ofc more people play free W2 more likely they will buy W3 and maybe even on GOG instead of Steam or Amazon.

I believe from business point of view you should never treat your games like they dont exist anymore giving them away for free. Instead smarter move would be to encourage people to spend 5-10$ on the GOG and then give them W2 and W1 as a token of appreciation. Maybe even -10% off coupons for W3 and other games if they spend more.

Now future W2 sales from eg. from Steam winter sales and retailers will stop or be reduced. But Its also about respect.. by giving it away for free you make people think its not worth the 14.99 or 9.99. and W3 might be the same.. Some might think why should I pay full price on PC version if value of CDPR games drops so quickly they give them away for free 2-3 years later.

Dunno thats how I feel about it. .

What they are trying to do is bring new customers to GOG. Force them to create a account claim few free games and hopefully spend money on the website.. and it will hopefully work but I don't fully support it.

Why not? Better than those people lingering on Steam. Bring more users on GOG!

I believe from business point of view you should never treat your games like they dont exist anymore giving them away for free

Others disagree with you. Lot's of games are free to begin with (example). If some company gives out their games for free as a promotional step, it's perfectly fine. Don't forget many of those games are already pirated. So getting more users interested is useful. Especially since it's not a permanent give away, but just a temporary deal.

Iby giving it away for free you make people think its not worth the 14.99 or 9.99

Measuring respect by the price is a really strange way to do it. Respect has to be earned in this case by making good games and acting decently and not like some DRM jerked control freaks. And CDPR did earn respect.

Last edited:
Plus, what they're doing is actually much more devious than "buy games for $10 and receive TW2 for free". It's "come back to our website every day to look at all those magnificent deals, don't feel bullied into buying anything to get the free game, but spend much more than the forced $10 on the reduced games anyway".

Just got Heroes of Might and Magic bundle, Deponia bundle and Mount and Blade bundle. Wish they all had linux version.

Played around with the free GOG copy of Mount and Blade in wine. Worked well, was incredibly fun. Apparently Warband is even even better, and its a true Linux game, no wrapper like I thought. Curse your tricksy methods GOG :p

Holy crap this game is extremely fun and atmospheric! Scores of your mighty comrades charging into battle against a wicked Lord, arrows and javelins wizzing over your head, mighty trumpets blasting. It can be extremely brutal at times. One mintue you have a mighty band of heroes, but it can all be wiped away after a defeat. Very much a Baldur's Gate like difficulty at the beginning. The mounted combat is still giving me trouble but I think I'm gradually improving. Excellent game :D

2014 DRM-free Big Winter Sale starts now!

48-hour Frost Flash Frenzy with 30 deals per hour, daily bundles, awesome games up to 90% off, and Age of Wonders for FREE!

Winter is upon us and the holiday season is nigh, so what better time to get your game on and stack up with great titles at ridiculous prices?! Let's kick off the 2014 DRM-free BIG Winter Sale! If you're getting a feeling of déjà vu, look closer: we've prepared a brand new lineup of flash deals and fresh daily bundles for you, for the next 11 days!

Your holiday shopping rush begins with the 48-hour Frost Flash Frenzy: 30 flash deals available every hour for the first two days of our Big Winter Sale! We also have an awesome "first come, first served" gift: 250.000 copies of the seminal turn-based strategy classic Age of Wonders for FREE. If you're a fan, make sure you pick up Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard's Throne and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic 75% off in one of today's bundles and the more recent entry to the franchise 2014 DRM-free BIG Winter SaleAge of Wonders 3 available 66% off for the first 24 hours of the sale!

But, obviously, there is much more to our Winter Promo. Today's daily bundles feature the acclaimed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy as well as our flagship pairing of the Witcher 1&2. Today's flash deals include hit titles like Wasteland 2, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Dreamfall Chapters, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Terraria, and many more.

So there you have it, the BIG Winter Sale is here to bring you a gaming good time. Visit daily to get the best deals! The promo ends on December 15, at 1:59 PM GMT.Now, get ready for the Age of Wonders special surprise stream with Quill18, starting 5PM GMT / 12PM EST / 9AM PST on Twitch.tv/GOGcom.
gog.com/news/2014_drmfree_winter_sale

Awesome, GOG sale!

I think I will get Age of Wonders 3. Thought about buying Legend of Grimrock 2 but it wasn't cheap enough. Same goes for Divinity OS.

And my backlog keeps growing...

Oh boy. The Ultimate D&D Collection is on sale again. I just resisted the urge to buy that last time. I haven't even beaten Origin Sin yet so how am I supposed to have time to play all these classics? *sigh* Decisions, decisions.

Spellforce is an excellent RPG-RTS crossover. Gothic 2, obviously, absolute RPG classic.

Beyond that, it's a matter of taste, really. Desperados is a very good tactic game - like Commandos in Wild West. Book of Unwritten Tales and Black Mirror are great Point and Click adventures, the former of the funny Fantasy type, rich with references to genre classics like Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, etc, the latter a more serious mystery adventure. The Guild games are outstanding simulations (in case of the Guild 2 go for the "Renaissance" version), where you take control of a dynasty, aspiring for wealth, honor and political office in the late middle ages / renaissance. Painkiller is a very old school shooter, but good at what it is.

That is a lot of solid games leaving GoG. Shit, I'm gonna have to splurge here.

I just bought the remaining 30 Nordic games I don't own for 31 usd...I have no self control.

Last edited:
That is a lot of solid games leaving GoG. Shit, I'm gonna have to splurge here.

I just bought the remaining 30 Nordic games I don't own for 31 usd...I have no self control.

Don't feel bad. Right now I have the stuff I want marked in the list for about the fifth or sixth time since yesterday. I really shouldn't as my budget is small and I'm almost certain something nice will be on sale at Steam throughout their christmas sale, but I feel my resistance waning. It is obscenely cheap after all and who knows when, where and it what form these games will be available DRM free again?

It's mostly the collector in me and a bit of nostalgia. E.g., I don't even plan to play Spellforce anytime soon, but I loved that game back then, never got around to play the second one and would like to do so one distant day - and if I'd buy the second one, there's no point in not buying the first one as well. The same goes for Desperados. The Guild is a game I never spent as much time on as it deserves. I didn't finish Silver back then.

Top Bottom