Customization seems so limited/poor..

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not facing reality.

The game has, according to the developers, gone through multiple builds. CDPR is still a relatively small studio compared to something like Bioware or Bethesda, which means it can't run concurrent large projects. Those builds were probably small and limited in scope while the rights to the PnP were still being worked out.

Then they decided on the current iteration. The footage at EA 2018 was pre-alpha footage, a bullshot of what "could" be the game. A lot of what you saw in that original gameplay video has been removed, judging by the most recent gameplay, so it likely wasn't running on an alpha build of the game either, but a specially-built demo produced exclusively for E3 2018.

So, they most likely didn't have a working alpha build of the final game as late as August 2018. I'll be generous and say that they recorded that tech demo earlier in the year, so let's say they were working on an alpha as early as June of last year.

As an example, the original Mass Effect began production in early 2004. It was released in 2007. So, a three year development cycle for a game that clocked in at around 40ish hours if you do everything.

The core mechanics of Cyberpunk 2077 have only been worked on for a little over a year. They have seven months left, and they won't work on major features up to the wire, but let's be really generous and say 2 years.

If they had decided to use the same engine and assets from The Witcher (rigging, character skeletons, some animations, etc) then I would agree that the game could be at around 80 hours of content in two years of development. However, they are doing a complete departure from The Witcher - they are making a FPS, which they have never made before, with all new assets.

In two years.

There is no way this game is going to be 100+ hours. There's very little chance it will be more than 40. They are cutting things left and right (character backstories beyond the three we saw at E3, jobs like in the PnP, third-person cinematic cutscenes which constitute an enormous undertaking in a new engine because they have to adapt their old synching and modeling randomizer programs, or build new ones from scratch, and etc.).

That's where I'm getting my 20ish hours from. They don't have the time. It takes years to make a proper RPG. Far Cry 5, however, only took about a year for Ubisoft to make, start to finish. That's the type of game that this is looking to be.
I'm not living in reality? What reality are you thriving? I'm just stating facts from what I've heard, read, and watched from dev interviews. I don't know anything about the business side and what they had to go through because I don't follow how and what they do in terms of that. Honestly that's pretty irrelevant, and what do you mean they can't add that much content in two years, or work on a project this big? They've been creating Cyberpunk 2077 for about eight years, and look at The Witcher 3 that game had a 100+ hour campaign plus the expansions. I think they're more than equipped to take on another huge project like that easily. As they have been as I said with the project for nearly a decade. I'm not looking for an argument I'm just wondering why you're jumping to conclusions. I don't know anything about them having to scrap any part, I mean maybe they did, but that doesn't mean they worked on it all from scratch. As far as looking like Far Cry 5 the aspects I can see is the First Person view. Other than that I couldn't disagree more, also they aren't cutting anything, nor have they stated as such. Just because you and a few of these other people seem to think so because of few lacking options means nothing. Those options plus more will most likely be there in the final build.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Character_Sheet_-_Cyberpunk_2077.jpg
    Character_Sheet_-_Cyberpunk_2077.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I want that back this adds much more immersion
Jesus Christ so because the U.I isn't black and red anymore you think that's a sign they've dumped certain facial and body options? This is what I'm speaking about, drawing conclusions and making assumptions. The few of you I've had the opportunity to debate with seem pretty intelligent (and for the record that's not a compliment I give often if at all). But think does their change in the U.I really proof of anything? No, absolutely not. For all we know they could add an option to color the U.I like Fallout 4 did.

Jesus Christ so because the U.I isn't black and red anymore you think that's a sign they've dumped certain facial and body options? This is what I'm speaking about, drawing conclusions and making assumptions. The few of you I've had the opportunity to debate with seem pretty intelligent (and for the record that's not a compliment I give often if at all). But think does their change in the U.I really proof of anything? No, absolutely not. For all we know they could add an option to color the U.I like Fallout 4 did.
Lol you dont even know what im talking about….can you look at the picture?!

Would have been pretty pointless to respond to you if I didn't know what you were complaining about.
Im not talking about the character customization im talking about the character sheet where you could personalize your character.....so this wasnt there anymore in the new gameplay trailer

You are not facing reality.

The game has, according to the developers, gone through multiple builds. CDPR is still a relatively small studio compared to something like Bioware or Bethesda, which means it can't run concurrent large projects. Those builds were probably small and limited in scope while the rights to the PnP were still being worked out.

So, they most likely didn't have a working alpha build of the final game as late as August 2018. I'll be generous and say that they recorded that tech demo earlier in the year, so let's say they were working on an alpha as early as June of last year.

In two years.
I get the point you're trying to make, and it's possible that there is some truth to it (look at Anthem), but the bolded points are incorrect from what I've seen.

CDPR's development team is actually quite a bit larger than Bethesda's. Bethesda had around 100 people working on Fallout 4, while CDPR had 240 in-house (with nearly 1500 people involved in production).

Furthermore, the current CDPR team is still larger than Bethesda's as both companies have up-scaled quite a bit. Even after acquiring two separate studios to work on games, Bethesda still only has around 400 employees, while CDPR is listing nearly 900 employees (with a separate team creating side-quests).

Cyberpunk has been in planning since 2013, but development started around Witcher 3, with full production starting around November 2015. They will have 4 years of development time for Cyberpunk 2077 with an enormous team.

They are always talking about immersion so this options are a must for a pen and paper rpg....if they bring that back everything is fine
Thought you were talking about visual customisation.

If you are talking about the background tab instead, i can understand that to some degree. Personally i like that CDPR removed this in favor of the more meaningful lifepaths. I mean, background info like in your sceenshot is great for fleshing out your P&P character for roleplaying purposes. But lets be real: how often would a "childhood hero" selection really come up ? "Reason for night city" - thats more of a roleplaying info unless the game makes those reasons very specific and predefined (then they could add a mission, at best). Similar for the "Key Life Events" - those are roleplaying choices and probably wouldn't effect gameplay much (except for "grew up on the streets" - which got expanded into street kid life path)

I prefer the lifepaths, which will actually have serious in-game applications and a definite impact: different starting positions and ways to enter the game, dialogue options and insights throughout the game. I wouldn't mind if they also kept background choices from 2018 char gen, just for fleshing out the character a bit in your minds eye (with no ingame effect).

Im not talking about the character customization im talking about the character sheet where you could personalize your character.....so this wasnt there anymore in the new gameplay trailer
Yeah that's not new news, they stated quite awhile back they took those options out and replaced it with the I believe what they're calling "life paths", yet again though not that big of a deal.

Thought you were talking about visual customisation.

If you are talking about the background tab instead, i can understand that to some degree. Personally i like that CDPR removed this in favor of the more meaningful lifepaths. I mean, background info like in your sceenshot is great for fleshing out your P&P character for roleplaying purposes. But lets be real: how often would a "childhood hero" selection really come up ? "Reason for night city" - thats more of a roleplaying info unless the game makes those reasons very specific and predefined (then they could add a mission, at best). Similar for the "Key Life Events" - those are roleplaying choices and probably wouldn't effect gameplay much (except for "grew up on the streets" - which got expanded into street kid life path)

I prefer the lifepaths, which will actually have serious in-game applications and a definite impact: different starting positions and ways to enter the game, dialogue options and insights throughout the game. I wouldn't mind if they also kept background choices from 2018 char gen, just for fleshing out the character a bit in your minds eye (with no ingame effect).
You could also give your character a first last name and probably change some other stuff too like a true pen and paper rpg….Limiting the character creator isnt good in generel in my opinion i thought they improve everything not screwing it totally
Post automatically merged:

Yeah that's not new news, they stated quite awhile back they took those options out and replaced it with the I believe what they're calling "life paths", yet again though not that big of a deal.
In my opinion more options are always better

You could also give your character a first last name and probably change some other stuff too like a true pen and paper rpg….Limiting the character creator isnt good in generel in my opinion i thought they improve everything not screwing it totally

In my opinion more options are always better
I don't disagree but this is the option that they thought was best. But as Kirell stated what would be the point of some of those options unless they had any real substance and meaning to them? Why would I choose who my childhood hero is, or the reason for being in Night City if they add nothing to the game itself?

I don't disagree but this is the option that they thought was best. But as Kirell stated what would be the point of some of those options unless they had any real substance and meaning to them? Why would I choose who my childhood hero is, or the reason for being in Night City if they add nothing to the game itself?
It could be an option just for you even if ist not mentioned in the game to make the character really your own

But this new life path are not better instead of picking 3 option from 9, we get to pick just 1, and what about people who don't like Johnny Silverhand they are now forced to see him and listen.

It's mindblowing to me how many people on here are so out of the loop, hastily making thread upon thread complaining about stuff that has been answered already somewhere.
Funny thing is that "way more options will be there at launch" has been said by CDPR way before this demo even aired.

It could be an option just for you even if ist not mentioned in the game to make the character really your own

Anything in your character that doesn't have an impact on the game could just as well be supplied by your imagination. You can just say your characters real name is "Christopher Wright" without putting it into the rep sheet - it won't ever be used in-game anyway. But it would still have been a nice way to connect a bit more to your role during character creation.

But this new life path are not better instead of picking 3 option from 9, we get to pick just 1, and what about people who don't like Johnny Silverhand they are now forced to see him and listen.

Your childhood hero would have had no effect on that. Johnny Silverhand is a digital ghost linked to the immortality chip, not some invisible friend from your childhood.

Imo its 3 meaningless choices that would barely have an impact (2018 background) vs 1 choice that will have a significant impact (2019 life paths)

Uh I don't know what to tell you dude, you could invest in another game?

Anything in your character that doesn't have an impact on the game could just as well be supplied by your imagination. You can just say your characters real name is "Christopher Wright" without putting it into the rep sheet - it won't ever be used in-game anyway. But it would still have been a nice way to connect a bit more to your role during character creation.

Your childhood hero would have had no effect on that. Johnny Silverhand is a digital ghost linked to the immortality chip, not some invisible friend from your childhood.

Imo its 3 meaningless choices that would barely have an impact (2018 background) vs 1 choice that will have a significant impact (2019 life paths)
Sure thats the reason they gave the main character just an alias so you can name him whater you want but adding your own personal details would have been awesome because every pen and paper rpg has that.......but anyway this whole background check was my favorite feature of the creator and the cosmetic stuff 2nd because its a first person game after all.Maybe they bring that option back who knows

Last edited:
Uh I don't know what to tell you dude, you could invest in another game?

What is you problem ????? i just give my opinion is that forbidden on this forum now ?????

How you know that ????? how you know that background options we see first time in 2018 demo would not have impact, but that this new one will have more powerful impact on the game?

What is you problem ????? i just give my opinion is that forbidden on this forum now ?????

How you know that ????? how you know that background options we see first time in 2018 demo would not have impact, but that this new one will have more powerful impact on the game?
I don't have a problem, it's you that has a problem. You said you didn't like less options, or Silverhand so I gave you a simple solution that's all. No one said you couldn't have an opinion either but seeing how you don't seem to find it to your liking it seems maybe you should move onto something else.

Last edited:

I don't know for sure, but its kinda implied in the choices already:
  • how often would a "childhood hero" selection really come up in the game ? Maybe a line when you meet Jonny Silverhand for the first time. For the other two heroes, probably not at all.
  • "Reason for night city" - thats more of a roleplaying info unless the game makes those reasons very specific and predefined (then they could add a mission, at best).
  • Similar for the "Key Life Events" - those are roleplaying choices and probably wouldn't effect gameplay much (except for "grew up on the streets" - which got expanded into street kid life path)
CDPR told us in interviews that the life paths will have a signifcant impact on the game, including different starting positions and circumstance, dialogue selection & background specific knowledge. Dialogue choices were also shown in the 2019 demo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom