Cyber Engine Tweaks [on Nexus again]

+
Tracking software? spyware? you people really need to stop spreading misinformation.
And again for the upteenth time, Yamashi hid the mod on his own, nexus didn't remove it, hence the message you see when you go to the previous link.

For the rest of you that aren't spreading lies.
Bookmark the release page of the repository, set the watch button to releases and you'll receive an email (assuming you have a github account)
Or go on the official modding discord and watch it's progress, updates are posted there as well in the update section.

First of all the mod is really great and fun. But the purpose of counting how many people that using the mod is not clear and sounds cheesy for me. This make me think that the author have a new agenda for this mod in the future. So unless it became clear, the telemetry thing is a nope for me, and I don't want to be involved in whatever it is because I just want to have fun while playing this game.
Also I've been using many mods from nexus since a long time and didn't have any issue, so I prefer trusting their site.

The mod author has apologised for any misunderstanding cause and removed the "tracking".

Personally I am willing to believe they didn't intend for this to happen. I have bookmarked the git hub page and will continue to use the mod.

After the CD Project Red hack I will be more worried about the content of upcoming patches after the Solar Winds breach.

However make sure you have good security software and it is up to date!!

Lets be careful out there.

PS Cyber engine tweaks is back on Nexus

Last edited:
Glad it returned where it belongs. Rather have it use telemetry on Nexus than it be on some unknown site in the middle of nowhere.

Glad it returned where it belongs. Rather have it use telemetry on Nexus than it be on some unknown site in the middle of nowhere.
GitHub has an Alexa rank of 75. Nexus Mods has an Alexa rank of, uh ... 1039.

As has already been detailed in this thread, the mod was not sending any private info to a remote server. It used a curl request that was detailed in local code, the execution and transmission of which a person could easily monitor. We don't know what the server was doing with that request, but the request contained no private info, so all that the server could possibly have collected was IP addresses. The mod author assured us they were not collecting IPs and I believe them, but who cares if they were? Your IP address is being logged all the time by hundreds of sites that you visit. It isn't nefarious.

As has already been detailed in this thread, the mod was not sending any private info to a remote server. It used a curl request that was detailed in local code, the execution and transmission of which a person could easily monitor. We don't know what the server was doing with that request, but the request contained no private info, so all that the server could possibly have collected was IP addresses. The mod author assured us they were not collecting IPs and I believe them, but who cares if they were? Your IP address is being logged all the time by hundreds of sites that you visit. It isn't nefarious.
Most users have rotating IP's anyway, you usually have to pay to have a dedicated IP.

Why are you giving an explanation I never asked for? I never stopped using CET. No one would even know CET used telemetry if the modder wouldn't have mentioned it. He was honest about that from the start. I know you get tracked browsing the net. You even get tracked walking in the street while your phone's locater is on. It's just that I prefer CET on Nexus, cause A, that's where I got from, B, Nexus is where all the mods in my game come from, and thus easier to maintain, C, I'm a lot more familiar with Nexus than GetHub, and I prefer to have all mods in 1 place.
Post automatically merged:

Github an unknown site in the middle of no where? ....

I've never heard of it.

The backlash was very called for. For all we know, now it was only a ping to some hardcoded server, in the next patch it will get a variable with a GET call, and just like that, you're in a botnet, ddos'ing someone while thinking that it's "just for max online statistics"

LOL so many people clueless about GitHub.

I have been using mods since back in the DA:O days. This time, however, I am running into an issue where SOMETHING is messing up my brother's ability to work from home via his phone and pc and he has stated that the issue(s) is coming every time I boot up the game. Would CET be the issue maybe? I dunno what I will do without it. At least I had a couple playthroughs without it before grabbing it up. ;) I am curious because I hope to be able to use it without it affecting his work if such is the case.

Top Bottom