Cybercop 2077: Police related side content - thoughts and discussions

+

Are you interested in such police related content?

• Total voters
Looking at how things are run; mega-corporations runs the world, I suspect that corporate security will be the main enforcement in Night City, while the "official" NCPD will take care of petty crime, those not concerning corporate security.

My current information / assumption is that the big corporate business center is primarily, if not solely, patrolled or policed by private security forces belonging to the various corporations. They'll all definitely guard their properties and HQs, and may also patrol the streets in that district perhaps. In addition, they might operate in other districts for special missions or tasks that have something to do with the corp or other interests - with impunity perhaps. We can see that with Stout who apparently has a police entry that indicates that they should not be detained or delayed for any offense. The "no police cheat" in GTA equivalent, unless they perhaps start running amok and laying waste to an area in berserk rage.

I don't think you'll generally see corporate security or combat forces for policing (like police would do) in other districts though. That's what city police is for. They have to deal with the rest. Whether police also patrols the fancier corporate zones, I dunno. But then I doubt it would be either much of a risk for them there, or that they are limited in their options. They'll likely have a "reduced mandate" if they operate in corp areas where corpo security takes over at some point, usually when their interests are at stake.

As someone put it nicely on some wiki article somewhere or another informational post about "corpos" and "cops": As city cop you basically get the shittier areas. The fancy districts are for the corpos and their security forces primarily.

We'll have to see if CP2077 continues that trend that is based on CP2020 info as far as I know. Would not surprise me however.

The cops are pretty incompetent because Night City is called the worst city to live. I can see a workaround through that. Like police executive levels award high-end contracts to certain mercs since the city is so crime-infested.

More like underfunded and overworked, just as x,y,z city is the worst places to live currently. Has nothing to do with competence. When you have 1000 cops (example) and 12 million residents, it isn't exactly easy.

Just like in the movie Dredd 2012 where Dredd is explaining how many crimes happen per day/hour etc, and that they can only get to around 6%.

It is no different than current issues with various police organizations around the world lots of crime happens all the time, where they answer the most important/worst ones, they can't be everywhere all the time.

But 2020/77 has more violence for the most part due to the availability of firearms (everyone has one) and cyberware and reality of the world itself.

Then comes corruption, because humans gonna be humans.

Will there be police related stuff where you help or partner up with an officer or someone you know to complete a goal/mission, probably.....will you be a "good" person and join the police force...unlikely.

as long as theres a meaningful story that explores them as a faction, i don't feel we necessarily need to join them.
i think thats what will happen mostly, as we're V so thats a specific story that CDPR are telling, we can shape it, guide it but ultimately we're a solo/tech/NR who will rub shoulders with the other 'classes'.

but definitely looking forward to a story arc, maybe you have story reason to apply to NCPD and take basic training, but you have another purpose for being there. i can see some interesting possibilities.

Thread renamed to Cybercop 2077: Police related side content - thoughts and discussions

A bit more catchy, perhaps. Also, consider this a "bump".

If you just chimed in - a recap:

The purpose of this thread is basically to advertise cop related content. If the devs rule out classic factions you can join then perhaps we can still implement NCPD as (also radiant) mission and opportunity provider where you may gain a rep with them and gain certain perks - at the same time we'd have to assume you can of course also f'... up and be wanted by them due to crimes you commit, but expect this to be part of the planned game anyway.

So why not have it the other way around and work with them and become something like a licensed agent with a few perks after a while?

And assuming mod support will be solid, then modders can even work on going deeper or "joining", with even more missions. Think of something akin to the GTA cop mods.

Play the role of a cop (or licensed agent, contractor, etc) and witness Night City. And try to survive it.

Last edited:
While I'm all for implementing mechanics that can deepen the RP experience I recognize CDPR has to walk a tightrope to ensure the game doesn't lose narrative focus (a big problem with openworld-type games). I would expect ancillary quests that allow us to work for or against certain organizations with some ramifications to future interactions. Besides I suspect V has specific business in Night City with little interest in the local concerns of factions but being more than willing to utilizing those groups to her/his own ends.

I think it's absolute B.S. that any of this should be "DLC". It should be base game content or put into actual expansions. Remember 20 years ago when expansions were so good they were whole new games? I remember. I think it would be great to join Trauma Team and have wars with other medic companies like they did in the previous version of this game back in the 80's. We should all continue to step away from the whole "DLC" idea. Pic Related.
I disagree profoundly. Unless the core game story line is based around Trama Team or NCPD, those need to be DLCs. Why? Because content costs time and money. I want the story of V to be whatever CDPR come up with (probably a somewhat mutable origin story I imagine) and I want it to be great, but this game will never get released unless the Devs are focused on one main story and various side missions.

CDPR are the masters of awesome DLCs, as witnessed by the ones that followed Witcher 3, and I'd be delighted to pay for whatever they come up with in order to support them.

We'll see how they implement it, but that's one way they could go about using other roles: factions. Not in classic rpg sense, as you get to join officially and then swiftly go through ranks, but more as exceptional hire and part of extended questline.

Sort of designed to mimic the "feel" of being a cop/nomad/rockerboy/media as closely as possible...corporate and fixer would be a lot more difficult, I think.

My dream questline here, really, is joining an anarchy rock band, Streets of Fire style of urban fable drama, at the end you see V singing in front of the crowd...or you end up completely humiliating yourself. :p

For a cop, even in Night City, you'd have to have a pretty clean record.

I think it's absolute B.S. that any of this should be "DLC". It should be base game content or put into actual expansions. Remember 20 years ago when expansions were so good they were whole new games? I remember. I think it would be great to join Trauma Team and have wars with other medic companies like they did in the previous version of this game back in the 80's. We should all continue to step away from the whole "DLC" idea. Pic Related.

The games were far less expensive then. Compare Fallout 1 vs. 2, Gothic and it's sequel, etc: they literally reuse everything from animations, models, UI, etc.

I see no problem with it, especially with content that is more up to personal taste. DLCs, even smaller ones, can add a lot to the game, and developers can be more creative this way. And with something of this scope/complexity, there is absolutely no way they could realize every idea for the game.

We'll see how they implement it, but that's one way they could go about using other roles: factions. Not in classic rpg sense, as you get to join officially and then swiftly go through ranks, but more as exceptional hire and part of extended questline.

Sort of designed to mimic the "feel" of being a cop/nomad/rockerboy/media as closely as possible...corporate and fixer would be a lot more difficult, I think.

My dream questline here, really, is joining an anarchy rock band, Streets of Fire style of urban fable drama, at the end you see V singing in front of the crowd...or you end up completely humiliating yourself. :p

For a cop, even in Night City, you'd have to have a pretty clean record.

The games were far less expensive then. Compare Fallout 1 vs. 2, Gothic and it's sequel, etc: they literally reuse everything from animations, models, UI, etc.

I see no problem with it, especially with content that is more up to personal taste. DLCs, even smaller ones, can add a lot to the game, and developers can be more creative this way. And with something of this scope/complexity, there is absolutely no way they could realize every idea for the game.

With emphasis on "how to do it":

That's basically what we can realistically aim for and what is the new focus of this suggestion - instead of "classic factions" we get something more to a "as close as possible" approach, but instead of "exceptional hire or select missions" (nice in itself, no doubt!) I think it should open up general opportunities from that group or faction.

E.g. let's say we help the Maelstrom gang somehow, are on their good side. Instead of JUST them later not hindering us or them actively supporting us in main missions or randomly on the street, I think it should also open up something like quest or side quest opportunities with the groups that you have a good rep with. Simpler: instead of changing reactions in main quests OR randomly on the street, side quests and perks should open up so I can go to any Maelstrom gang hideout and get missions and trade with them, or do other social activities that might be added like play some mini-game.

If this will be in the game, then we can basically also look forward to NCPD content. There's surely always wanted criminals or investigations and you could help with the right rep. And get perks in addition.

----------------------------------------------------------------
A more concrete suggestion - MAXTAC as potential mission giver or employer

Another more concrete suggestion on how you could partake in police content as V and have it realistic in terms of game integration - so you don't have to write tickets as beat or traffic cop:

http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/MAX-TAC

"They walk like us, talk like us. MAX-TAC are just criminals with a badge"
— Anonymous Punk, Protect & Serve

MAX-TAC might be a realistic employer for V. Because the quote already implies they are perhaps somewhat different in mind and approach. Not your average beat cop. Lethal missions, perhaps you don't get old in this job. Something where V could fit in as supporter or even something like a part-time member. And you do not have to change the cyberpunky personality V might come with if the quote above holds true.

MAX-TAC or Psychosquad will likely definitely play a role in the game and you will likely interact with them somehow already. Interview snippets I remember suggest you yourself cannot go full Cyberpsycho, it would interfere with aspects of the plot or so. So if you're not turning into a target for them, you might still see them or perhaps do missions for them. I assume we already see them very briefly in the gameplay demo.

1) They're mentioned at the crime scene by the NCPD techs
2) We can possibly see what could be a member of MAX-TAC / Psychosquad in the shard Dexter gives us, where we see the Maelstrom gang leader in what I think are cuffs, with a cop next to him and that isn't the usual beat cop attire he or she is wearing. Considering Maelstrom deals with enhancing themselves it could be possible it's a MAX-TAC officer.

The more I think about it, the more it could be fitting employer-wise, as pseudo gun-for-hire / quasi-member maybe. Ironically it would also underline the very first trailer we see with the shootout / massacre where the Cyberlady becomes a MAX-TAC member. From criminal / wanted person to MAX-TAC basically.

I need to end this post eventually so I'll close with this: Basically, MAX-TAC might be fitting as quest-giver and kind of "joinable sub-group" (for perks, 'radiant' quests, etc) as you are not a beat cop, do not have to go to some academy, write tickets. You get search and destroy-like combat missions, can still stay true to V personality wise and ... it's just do-able in the overall plot frame.

They could call you or you could go to them if you want missions involving crazy cyberpsychos and could, otherwise, pursue the main plot. You would not have to drive around and hand out tickets all day or search missing grandmas. Or deal with theft.

And I, as player, would be satisfied if "joining" (I'll use that word carefully now) MAX-TAC would be possible and if you could run around in their gear and do missions for them at your pace or whenever they are available to you.

Soo...not to appear impatient, but I think "bumping" to let others see the thread and to keep the discussion going at an early stage is the most beneficial.

Why? Because IF such things are not planned for the game but are then considered by the devs, the easiest moment to tweak things for the release version is... now.

My current suggestion next to "licensed NYPD agent (contractor) with perks"?

MAX-TAC. I think V being able to join for such missions wouldn't really break the concept of V staying relatively independent. Some of my thoughts on that are detailed in the prior post.

TL;DR: Joinable MAX-TAC would not be as problematic or as hindering as assuming you could formally join NYPD or any other notable faction (again, formally) if it would be set up like some kind of optional or reserve-like system where you can join them (maybe only after a certain point in the story?) and take missions at your own pace.

No need for 24/7 readiness nor do you have to be like a cop, thus saving the devs work or story complications. But when you roll out with them to hunt cyberpsychos (in their gear or uniforms), people (bystanders) will consider you one or comment or treat you accordingly.

Run into a hostile gang (turf) looking like that and expect to be shot at immediately where you could pass with less problems in other clothing or armor.

What do you think? Is V as potential MAX-TAC member too much to ask for if it's mostly treated as non-interfering side content?

I just hope for any straw to pull on in an official game version capacity.

The rest, potential mods could add.

I at least hope such aspects are considered and, if not already planned for the game, maybe implemented.

If the devs read this and are not outright against it, I'd like to say to you that not just I but all in favor of this are grateful for your considerations!

I think I am not completely off if I say there's a community subset who kinda want to play any sort of (hobby) cop, Judge Dread or tactical response officer of any sort.

I currently think that if MAX-TAC are more like cyberpunks or daredevils by mentality and mindset, V could fit in.

players in the original pen and paper game where able too play as law enforcement . heck even GTA lets you play as a cop. but that said I hope they follow and stay true to the Rpg. there is a great source book called "protect and serve" its all about role playing as a cop in night city ...from patrolling the streets, right down to the paper work .
protect&serve.jpg

Last edited:
players in the original pen and paper game where able too play as law enforcement . heck even GTA lets you play as a cop. but that said I hope they follow and stay true to the Rpg. there is a great source book called "protect and serve" its all about role playing as a cop in night city ...from patrolling the streets, right down to the paper work .
View attachment 10979675

I wouldn't count the latest GTA though. While some prior ones kinda give you vigilante stuff by standard or vanilla (who came up with that term?) versions, the true potential was unlocked through mods: LCPD:FR and LSPD:FR let you really (within the games possibilities and a bit of further scripting) play a cop and patrol, stop and frisk, etc.

As for CP 2077 I think asking to basically be a fully fledged cop might be too much to expect. I mean I would like to play one as well but they pretty strongly ruled out join able big factions. Maybe in a later expansion.

But until definitely shown otherwise (and if it's finding out by playing the game after release!) I think it's worth fighting for two things:

1) generally encourage any sort of cop content, but ideally a formally joinable and fleshed out NCPD faction and / or

2) encourage compromises for release, shortly after or in general (if a "faction DLC" is not planned), e. g. being able to quasi join MAX-TAC as special case and minor faction, or generally becoming a quasi cop but not formally one by being able to become a licensed agent (bounty hunter or investigator)

Given the underlying fanbase of this "cop stuff" and the rough vote indication, I think it's maybe not overly much to ask in terms of implementation if we look for a compromise solution. A "bit" more work while catering to customers or fans. A win in the end in my book.

I mean I'll smirk on the day I can leave Vs apartment in a MAX-TAC uniform or suit and yell "PEACH TREES, THIS IS THE LAW" (sentence just in my head, not actually said in-game) while actually being some kind of volunteer, reservist, etc. of the unit as "side occupation". I mean if we, with our community input, have the slightest chance of influencing the game and adding either of this, now is the best time to promote it. If any sort of compromise or full faction DLC is already planned then I guess we just have to wait.

TL;DR: No big factions? Maybe give us smaller, more specific ones.

If they do add this, I hope they aren't just side quests but rather influence attitudes from some NPCs. Corporate NPCs would probably mostly approve or be indifferent, but street/runner levels may view you with suspicion.

It would indeed be awesome (and realistic just like it would be "consequential") to have people react to you accordingly as (quasi) cop either when you build a rep as such by working actively with or for NCPD or a certain squad... and / or when you wear cop gear.

I still realize this game isn't a futuristic police sim which is fine, but any sort of bonus bit and feature in that regard is appreciated. The more vanilla adds, the less modders have to do or rather, the more they can work with from the get go.

Just pray modding support will be good.

I will also likely update the OP in the next days and emphasize in some possibly attainable ideas.

'Tis really simple so far, let me recap what I have in mind:

Option 1: Actual cop

Fully fledged NCPD career with quests or rank progression at least by doing certain activities. Be in various departments with different focuses. Additionally have law enforcement perks and powers over other pedestrians, be able to interact with them accordingly.

Likelyhood: Unlikely as join able factions with unique content (as member) were ruled out. Only via dedicated DLC or community mod.

-----

Option 2: Partner or licensed agent

Very close partner of NCPD, licensed agent, bounty hunter, whatever. Ideally additional perks if you build a rep with them, wear some of their gear, get away with some things, etc. Generally a cop-lite approach and compromise.

Likelyhood: Probable, part of this could be already planned for the game as NCPD will surely play a role for V (not just as antagonist if you do crimes). Alternatively, such features would be reasonable to add in the current framework of V being unable to formally join big factions

-----

Option 3: MAX-TAC conscript or volunteer, reservist, etc

This can be coupled with aspects of option 2 and here the idea is basically that V can actually or quasi join MAX-TAC and do missions with them. You could wear their gear and in the context of missions or wearing their gear, interact with some folks differently. In other words cop aspects, too, based on your squad membership. You would not be a beat cop and write parking tickets, you are specifically taking part in high risk amok or high risk warrant missions. As the wiki page describes them like punks according to another punk, V could actually actually fit in. You would not be a beat cop and NCPD would still hunt you if you commit obvious crimes but this approach would allow you a specific quasi cop approach and offer some side content where you primarily deal with cyberpsychos. In turn NCPD saves normal officers by boosting MAX-TAC with reservists, volunteers, whatever as I imagine there to be a certain mortality rate in that line of work.

Likelyhood: More likely than option 1 and perhaps less likely than 2. For aforementioned reasons I think it would fit into the game vision or framework. I am actually certain V will be able to interact with MAX-TAC specifically at one point in the game. But the idea here is affiliation and building a rep while offering side content to the player for perks and gear or money. It would seem relatively uninttrusive to other parts of the game all in all opposed to option 1 or V generally and formally joining big factions. This would be a sub-faction or minor one at best.

This sums up the ideas I have for covering police related content in specific ways. OP will be updated soon accordingly or rephrased partially.

With luck we get anything revolving around option 2 or 3. I would like both: be able to work closely with NCPD beyond them just being a faceless simple mission mission giver through some terminal (aka go to precincts, talk to people directly to get missions, gear up there, befriend some) and then be able to ideally join MAX-TAC for specific missions.

Now I have been somewhat vocal and partially repetitive about this.

I'd like to know what others think about either option, although I find option 1 to be the most unrealistic for release and something one should not push for as it won't happen at release.

That was an idea i displayed some time ago in this forum the idea was about to release dlc content as sort of story pack maybe even allowing you to create a character for that questline.

The idea is pretty much like this:
You will recreate your character that will be separated from V and standalone that will cover the role of the cop in a tailored questline that would be a nice interesting DLC.

That was an idea i displayed some time ago in this forum the idea was about to release dlc content as sort of story pack maybe even allowing you to create a character for that questline.

The idea is pretty much like this:
You will recreate your character that will be separated from V and standalone that will cover the role of the cop in a tailored questline that would be a nice interesting DLC.

That sounds like a good idea or alternative!

Up until now, when thinking about a potential factions or cop DLC, I usually did so by thinking it would incorporate an existing V.

But separating it from V and maybe the main plot and give it its own spin with new characters might possibly be an even better option.

I would not mind this but favor V being able to sign up for a feeling of completion (all under one roof so to speak). But adding V to a fully fledged cop stuff DLC without separating V would mean all those NPCs you encounter might have to react to your cop affiliation if it became known or was visible.

A new or separated character kind of solves that potential problem or workload, while letting you see the world through a new narrative focus. If they plan(ned) a faction or cop DLC I would also not mind a new char detached from standard V if that makes things easier for them.

Will add your idea to the overhauled OP in the next days. The more ideas we can present, the higher the chance of them or parts of them making it into the game if the devs consider them.

And if not, maybe we can inspire a future generation of CP77 modders.

After thinking about it more, I think the best way to handle it without breaking the whole concept of the game would be contract work, as you suggested earlier in this thread, @Metropolice. V is a mercenary (like it or not), so I'm sure she'd be willing to sell her gun/sword/skillset to the highest bidder (metaphorically). No reason that couldn't be some branch of NCPD.

I'd actually be a bit surprised if there weren't missions involving V working with the police in some capacity. TW3 had you working with the guardsman all the time, I believe the same was true of The Witcher 1, 2, and 3.

However, if you're hoping for her to be a licensed contractor with police powers, I think you'll be disappointed.

However, if you're hoping for her to be a licensed contractor with police powers, I think you'll be disappointed.

Maybe I or rather we (referring to anyone who would like to see this) never get this. And indeed we all have to live with that possibility that cannot be ruled out, might even be likely.

But then at least we can say we brought the issue up and did the right thing at an early point in time so I guess one can only win :p

And last but not least it can inspire devs for future DLCs and content additions.

And if that fails we have modders as "last line of defense" , so to speak. Assuming the game gets solid modding support.

Really, the way I currently look at it, I'm rather optimistic. And if all else fails including mods, we still get a great game. That's not even counting sequels in many years ahead of time.

Just pray we do not nuke ourselves until then, have a comet hit or have a global zombie apocalpse.

Can we have the option to brutally interrogate suspects?

Just pray we do not nuke ourselves until then, have a comet hit or have a global zombie apocalpse.

Uh... Hold on while I call a few world leaders and cancel those favors they owe me, call that hacker group and get them to stop looping the footage in that one satellite, and call Lab 43 and tell them we're putting Project Romero on indefinite standby.

Can we have the option to brutally interrogate suspects?

Uh... Hold on while I call a few world leaders and cancel those favors they owe me, call that hacker group and get them to stop looping the footage in that one satellite, and call Lab 43 and tell them we're putting Project Romero on indefinite standby.

Good, you better! Would be a shame to see you in an isolation cube...

Top Bottom