Cybercop 2077: Police related side content - thoughts and discussions

+

Are you interested in such police related content?

• Total voters
V is a mercenary so I'm pretty sure the NCPD and other departments will give contracts to V. There is also Netwatch which I think is affiliated with NCPD? The contracts probably range from bounty hunting to raids to helping corrupted officers.

Remember when everyone thought we would play as a member of Psycho squad. Good times

Good times indeed. *chuckle*

This is (still) my V - in mind at least

I'm completely aware they changed the course over time, but I think this very first trailer is still in the minds of many people and partially the reason this thread exists, because the initial sales pitch or idea was simply a bit different, heavily hinting that the player was (able) to be a MAX-TAC member and part of police in specialized role, or able to pick this rough career out of several classes like cop, corpo, rockerboy, nomad, netrunner, etc and thus also be tied to certain factions in a relatively formal manner.

But that was all changed, yet I think it's worth pushing for compromises in that direction to simulate something you could remotely consider "faction affiliation", even if it's just you working closely with certain factions. Basically to describe it, I look for blurred lines in the vanilla game or more in a DLC, if mods won't be a thing that make this possible.

I just see lots of potential for this type of gameplay as a low-ranked "deputy" or "volunteer" of sorts, whether for NCPD or MAX-TAC specifically, who are described as punks or criminals with a badge on the wiki. I also think that it is possible to incorporate it in such a way you don't break the aspect of "no classic joinable factions" and also do not have any involvement break the main plot. Basically, if done right it can work.

The idea isn't to get a faction unique quest chain without formally being part of the faction (although it might be cool), the idea is to push for side content covering this type of gameplay where you can remotely feel you are part of the faction if you want to. Radiant quests for example with benefits such as using gear can already simulate this well, then you just go hunting bad guys or do shady deeds while you feel like a "deputy" or licensed agent of sorts.

E: For any "new user" who hasn't seen the very first trailer, here you can view it. Consider it historic or reference material, it might also explain to you why many people (as quote above says) thought the game was about NCPD or factions at first:

Good times indeed. *chuckle*

This is (still) my V - in mind at least

I'm completely aware they changed the course over time, but I think this very first trailer is still in the minds of many people and partially the reason this thread exists, because the initial sales pitch or idea was simply a bit different, heavily hinting that the player was (able) to be a MAX-TAC member and part of police in specialized role, or able to pick this rough career out of several classes like cop, corpo, rockerboy, nomad, netrunner, etc and thus also be tied to certain factions in a relatively formal manner.

But that was all changed, yet I think it's worth pushing for compromises in that direction to simulate something you could remotely consider "faction affiliation", even if it's just you working closely with certain factions. Basically to describe it, I look for blurred lines in the vanilla game or more in a DLC, if mods won't be a thing that make this possible.

That trailer was never meant to be an advertisement for the game, or to tell you anything about the game, it existed pre direction to the game. it was created by a third party to announce they where doing a CP game. that was it.

V is a mercenary so I'm pretty sure the NCPD and other departments will give contracts to V. There is also Netwatch which I think is affiliated with NCPD? The contracts probably range from bounty hunting to raids to helping corrupted officers.
I just hope that doing missions for netwatch and the police department doesn't lock me out of quests with other people. I want to do everything, one giant fully immersive rich playthrough that doesn't lock me out of anything in any way. I want to experience everything the game has to offer, no limitations.

That trailer was never meant to be an advertisement for the game, or to tell you anything about the game, it existed pre direction to the game. it was created by a third party to announce they where doing a CP game. that was it.

I vaguely recall something like this being discussed a long time ago. Even so, the talk about classes before the 2018 E3 heavily gave the indication that a cop role could be pursued and the trailer surely added more implications. But even if you take it out of the picture, the class talk was a notable indicator - until it was all clearly changed and mentioned otherwise.

You can hardly blame people, this was basically the only solid or tangible media piece they got for a long time, so people make subjective conclusions from there.

I just hope that doing missions for netwatch and the police department doesn't lock me out of quests with other people. I want to do everything, one giant fully immersive rich playthrough that doesn't lock me out of anything in any way. I want to experience everything the game has to offer, no limitations.

TL;DR: I think it's almost impossible to expect to not be locked out from any sort of content in one playthrough for this game.

While I understand your preference after various posts by now, you'll probably have to accept that this might (probably) be a type of game where consequences matter. This already starts with picking a background for your char.

With reference to the underlined part by me, you will always be locked out of certain content as you make different choices, whether they are thought out or sudden with not so much information at hand to assume likely outcome. You can't be a nomad, street kid and corpo at the same time for example. You have to pick something and that will define what content you see later. It won't affect every quest and dialogue, but some, meaning you are locked out of the other options you do not pick.

Likewise (and to stay a bit on topic, forum police is watching after all), if NCPD can be assisted in the game we get at release or if you come to a point in the game where they are involved in consequences or events where it's about helping them or not, you have to possibly assume or live with the fact that actively assisting them based on events or your own choice might lead to certain other factions or actors getting pissed about that. Maybe some gang for example. Other example: If you end up in a situation where you have to assist a Megacorp (or none), their opponents likely won't take kindly. If you eventually have to chose between Arasaka or Militech at some point in the game, you can't please or see both sides.

Perhaps I take you too literal but I am personally against no "lockouts" at all, and depending on what big or small role NCPD might play, if I actively help them it should piss certain people off, just like helping those (shady?) people might piss off NCPD. Can't please all factions, is what I mean. If we don't get this by release nor any DLC, but maybe mods, then mods should also consider simulating faction relations on occasion meaning people get pissed or happy depending on your choices.

E: But to add, if we get some leeway or compromise, possibly only thanks to threads like these, then I do assume that NCPD might play a sidekick or minor role in the overall game plot or so, in which case it might be so "optional" that doing things for and with them might probably not lock you out of major or notable content. You might get involved in fighting some gangs, but that might be it by and large, I am assuming.

I vaguely recall something like this being discussed a long time ago. Even so, the talk about classes before the 2018 E3 heavily gave the indication that a cop role could be pursued and the trailer surely added more implications. But even if you take it out of the picture, the class talk was a notable indicator - until it was all clearly changed and mentioned otherwise.

You can hardly blame people, this was basically the only solid or tangible media piece they got for a long time, so people make subjective conclusions from there.

TL;DR: I think it's almost impossible to expect to not be locked out from any sort of content in one playthrough for this game.

While I understand your preference after various posts by now, you'll probably have to accept that this might (probably) be a type of game where consequences matter. This already starts with picking a background for your char.

With reference to the underlined part by me, you will always be locked out of certain content as you make different choices, whether they are thought out or sudden with not so much information at hand to assume likely outcome. You can't be a nomad, street kid and corpo at the same time for example. You have to pick something and that will define what content you see later. It won't affect every quest and dialogue, but some, meaning you are locked out of the other options you do not pick.

Likewise (and to stay a bit on topic, forum police is watching after all), if NCPD can be assisted in the game we get at release or if you come to a point in the game where they are involved in consequences or events where it's about helping them or not, you have to possibly assume or live with the fact that actively assisting them based on events or your own choice might lead to certain other factions or actors getting pissed about that. Maybe some gang for example. Other example: If you end up in a situation where you have to assist a Megacorp (or none), their opponents likely won't take kindly. If you eventually have to chose between Arasaka or Militech at some point in the game, you can't please or see both sides.

Perhaps I take you too literal but I am personally against no "lockouts" at all, and depending on what big or small role NCPD might play, if I actively help them it should piss certain people off, just like helping those (shady?) people might piss off NCPD. Can't please all factions, is what I mean. If we don't get this by release nor any DLC, but maybe mods, then mods should also consider simulating faction relations on occasion meaning people get pissed or happy depending on your choices.

E: But to add, if we get some leeway or compromise, possibly only thanks to threads like these, then I do assume that NCPD might play a sidekick or minor role in the overall game plot or so, in which case it might be so "optional" that doing things for and with them might probably not lock you out of major or notable content. You might get involved in fighting some gangs, but that might be it by and large, I am assuming.

Yes, I understand what you mean, I get how that may work, I do just hope that the game does a very good job at outlining "Who is Who" for example like making sure V understands who they are supporting and who they are making to be an enemy so that they understand or have the ability to learn more about all the different factions before they make the choice of who to support or who to go against. I don't like it when a game tells me "hey do this mission for some mystery people who tell you they're good, but you're not sure- against these other mystery people who you are not sure are good or bad" in the end I'm left just thinking "Why should I do anything, how do I know I'm doing the right thing?" and I feel unwilling to make any choices.

For example, If I want to join "THE POLICE" and I'm not in any way sure if they're "Good police" or really corrupt "bad police" or some kind of mix in between, hopefully leaning in the good direction, I'm definitely worried that all the gangs and corporates will Quest Lock me or shoot me on sight just because I helped the police do some things, And then later, I might realize that the police were not actually the good guys (SCARY!) and regret being unable to work with other people. Like the voodoo boys might seem bad, and maybe they tried to kill V in that private demo (people were allowed to talk about it but not take pictures supposedly) but then their leader is like "Here lets work together again sorry about that" or something along those lines.

Maybe they are bad guys? Maybe not? It gets a little bit "guess" but I hope that V can go to the library and maybe ask many different people around all over Night City to learn about all the different groups before V decides to do anything, maybe as an optional early game quest? Then I could feel more confidence about choosing to join that squad like in the very early trailer/ help the police, or just say "whoaa noo steer clear!"

I'm also concerned if I can join the police, determine whether or not they are corrupt, and decide if I want to pretend to help them and then just hack the whole place and use them to save the world etc. but then go against them after (assuming they were evil, and not good cops), I worry that the gangs and corporates will still hate me because they believe I joined the cops and helped them, even if I didn't.

Also the complete opposite could happen in many different ways, but just how aware of what is really going on are all the different groups and NPC's in the game, right? What if I do something in the game that would or should make a group angry, but I do it with very good stealth, and use a good disguise? Can it be that I make sure they never find out who I was, and still ally with them later? Could I technically wear a complicated array of many different disguises all game long, as different personas in the game, and then just do all the quests for all the different sides because everyone thinks I'm someone else? :eek:

I would like to do some police stuff if I knew I could remain as an anonymous participant the whole time, like the police put me into witness protection from the moment I start helping them... whoaaa! :eek:

Yes, I understand what you mean, I get how that may work, I do just hope that the game does a very good job at outlining "Who is Who" for example like making sure V understands who they are supporting and who they are making to be an enemy so that they understand or have the ability to learn more about all the different factions before they make the choice of who to support or who to go against. I don't like it when a game tells me "hey do this mission for some mystery people who tell you they're good, but you're not sure- against these other mystery people who you are not sure are good or bad" in the end I'm left just thinking "Why should I do anything, how do I know I'm doing the right thing?" and I feel unwilling to make any choices.

For example, If I want to join "THE POLICE" and I'm not in any way sure if they're "Good police" or really corrupt "bad police" or some kind of mix in between, hopefully leaning in the good direction, I'm definitely worried that all the gangs and corporates will Quest Lock me or shoot me on sight just because I helped the police do some things, And then later, I might realize that the police were not actually the good guys (SCARY!) and regret being unable to work with other people. Like the voodoo boys might seem bad, and maybe they tried to kill V in that private demo (people were allowed to talk about it but not take pictures supposedly) but then their leader is like "Here lets work together again sorry about that" or something along those lines.

Maybe they are bad guys? Maybe not? It gets a little bit "guess" but I hope that V can go to the library and maybe ask many different people around all over Night City to learn about all the different groups before V decides to do anything, maybe as an optional early game quest? Then I could feel more confidence about choosing to join that squad like in the very early trailer/ help the police, or just say "whoaa noo steer clear!"

I'm also concerned if I can join the police, determine whether or not they are corrupt, and decide if I want to pretend to help them and then just hack the whole place and use them to save the world etc. but then go against them after (assuming they were evil, and not good cops), I worry that the gangs and corporates will still hate me because they believe I joined the cops and helped them, even if I didn't.

Also the complete opposite could happen in many different ways, but just how aware of what is really going on are all the different groups and NPC's in the game, right? What if I do something in the game that would or should make a group angry, but I do it with very good stealth, and use a good disguise? Can it be that I make sure they never find out who I was, and still ally with them later? Could I technically wear a complicated array of many different disguises all game long, as different personas in the game, and then just do all the quests for all the different sides because everyone thinks I'm someone else? :eek:

I would like to do some police stuff if I knew I could remain as an anonymous participant the whole time, like the police put me into witness protection from the moment I start helping them... whoaaa! :eek:
No CDPR game has ever been this black and white with its choices, and its also not how the real world works. You can't just go to the library and ask if your neighbor is a good person, or someone who murders people and stows them in his basement.

Sometimes, you will not know. Other times, you will be given the optional (perhaps not obvious) opportunity to find out more information about someone before making a choice. Other times still, the choice will be much more clear-cut. And in some cases, you will be given context clues and other details to learn more about people, but you very well might miss them (though based on what you've told me about your 100% playstyle, that seems unlikely to blindside you).

As Metro said, by now, I have a pretty good idea of the type of game you want, and I just don't think 2077 is it. What you have asked for, and continue to ask for, is completely counter to how CDPR makes games. I mean that literally -- it is the antithesis of their choice and consequence systems; they simply do not make games that function how you want them to. So, hopefully, the complaints you've raised are small compared to the other things you are excited about. :)

To the topic at hand, I'm impressed @Metropolice is still pushing for this. As usual, I can't help but respect your dedication!

Remember when everyone thought we would play as a member of Psycho squad. Good times
Depending on how approachable modding winds up being, maybe a Night City PD mod can happen like the Los Santos PD mods for GTAV, another game where people wanted to play as a cop but the base game wasn't set up for it, yet it happened thanks to ambitious modders. Calls to deal with rampaging cyber-psychos would probably be the easiest to implement. If access is granted to assets like the NCPD building interior and sound files for calls (two of the big ones), it's a decent possibility.

No CDPR game has ever been this black and white with its choices, and its also not how the real world works. You can't just go to the library and ask if your neighbor is a good person, or someone who murders people and stows them in his basement.

Sometimes, you will not know. Other times, you will be given the optional (perhaps not obvious) opportunity to find out more information about someone before making a choice. Other times still, the choice will be much more clear-cut. And in some cases, you will be given context clues and other details to learn more about people, but you very well might miss them (though based on what you've told me about your 100% playstyle, that seems unlikely to blindside you).

As Metro said, by now, I have a pretty good idea of the type of game you want, and I just don't think 2077 is it. What you have asked for, and continue to ask for, is completely counter to how CDPR makes games. I mean that literally -- it is the antithesis of their choice and consequence systems; they simply do not make games that function how you want them to. So, hopefully, the complaints you've raised are small compared to the other things you are excited about. :)

To the topic at hand, I'm impressed @Metropolice is still pushing for this. As usual, I can't help but respect your dedication!
To be fair, while I highly doubt things will turn out like fridgeband wishes, I don't think we can totally dismiss stuff he wants completely out of the realm of possibility. You give the reason "CDPR has never done things like that" as the blanket reason to crush his dreams, which while true, kind of loses its impact when CP2077 in its entirety is completely against everything they've done before. Considering how stingy CDPR is being about details, we honestly can't be 100% about anything they might do with the game as some things are still in flux and a lot of new stuff is in play.

So, in conclusion, feel free to continue to dash his many, many wishes to the ground and gleefully stomp on them (sorry, that's just the mental image I get with some of your responses to him and others lol), just consider that its not 100% absolute to end in bitter disappointment for them...just maybe more like 85-90% likely. :cool:

Last edited:

I can't help it, it's compulsive!

In all seriousness, by now, if not before, I consider(ed) it a community service. I think I got the spark shortly after they said they'd not apply the class system, indicating a cop role (among others) would just not be likely or possible and that, as I recall it, disappointed quite a lot of people who originally were hoping just for that: certain roles you could pick, due to "class" or not. And let's face it, many would like the idea of being able to play some sort of cop role in a dystopian cyberpunk world, perhaps some sort of "Judge Dredd", even if not as special or badass and just some low rank deputy or cop, or in this case perhaps MAX-TAC because I specifically believe with the current protagonist idea, you could somehow implement a way to have V partake in MAX-TAC missions if the right conditions were met as some sort of optional side content that would not interfere much with the rest of the game. Loosely compared to hopping in a police car in older GTA games to do some vigilante missions, but more immersive and woven in, with more interaction with NCPD of course.

Main reasoning is that if one raised feedback or suggestions about it early, there could be a realistic (or even remote) chance of this being changed. Just like people do with other topics like the apartments or the old music track. Main thing is to keep it respectful and / or work on a compromise or keep it remotely obtainable - I clearly can't start demanding classic factions back, unrealistic at this time, maybe for a DLC or mod.

And I think one could realistically get some compromises or police (side) content additions from even the main game, not just a later DLC (if it would notably cover this, I'd also take a late DLC!) or, as last straw, a good mod, from the community.

Off-topic posts deleted. Do stop de-railing the thread.
While some could say it might be expected of you ("Hurr durr, it's your job!"), I still want to say thanks for keeping the thread relatively on point or topic.

Depending on how approachable modding winds up being, maybe a Night City PD mod can happen like the Los Santos PD mods for GTAV, another game where people wanted to play as a cop but the base game wasn't set up for it, yet it happened thanks to ambitious modders. Calls to deal with rampaging cyber-psychos would probably be the easiest to implement. If access is granted to assets like the NCPD building interior and sound files for calls (two of the big ones), it's a decent possibility.

My secondary hope is that modding will indeed be extensive, so if nothing else helps, mods might be able to do this. The best example I can really think of is the GTA 4 and GTA 5 cop mods that really almost turn the game upside down. Here, the game devs never intended to give you any cop role, in fact (and realistically) in 5 they removed the old vigilante missions, might be realistic but less options for this kind of gameplay, as basic or superficial as the vigilante missions were.

And yet the community - thanks to good or sufficient modding support! - made something like this and many people enjoyed it. Just look at all the GTA cop mod videos on Youtube, there is a clear demand for this from at least a portion of a community and even here the (few) votes indicate some kind of interest. Whether through a DLC or mod, just imagine the many videos that will pop up about this kind of content if it was a thing. I understand they really aim for a specific game narrative and that is fine, so we shouldn't expect fully blown cop careers in the base game but still, people would go nuts over that. At least some :)

If modding will at least somewhat resemble the recent Fallout or Elder Scrolls creation kits and allow various tweaks of various values including friend-foe, reactions, "faction values", access to areas or perks and abilities (stop someone, search them, come up with a radiant or dynamic inventory that's generated upon search with some misc items) then a cop mod could be a very plausible thing. You could also just focus on MAX-TAC and expand on that with mods, or make a fully blown NCPD mod.

While this topic is mostly about NCPD or perhaps, on secondary note, corpo cops, I want to mention that with modding any other faction wishes could be fulfilled. But this turns into a topic for the modding tools thread (or another dedicated faction thread) and as such is only mentioned here because mods might be a way to realize this particular idea of police related side content.

To be fair, while I highly doubt things will turn out like fridgeband wishes, I don't think we can totally dismiss stuff he wants completely out of the realm of possibility. You give the reason "CDPR has never done things like that" as the blanket reason to crush his dreams, which while true, kind of loses its impact when CP2077 in its entirety is completely against everything they've done before. Considering how stingy CDPR is being about details, we honestly can't be 100% about anything they might do with the game as some things are still in flux and a lot of new stuff is in play.

So, in conclusion, feel free to continue to dash his many, many wishes to the ground and gleefully stomp on them (sorry, that's just the mental image I get with some of your responses to him and others lol), just consider that ita not 100% absolute to end in bitter disappointment for them...just maybe more like 85-90% likely. :cool:
Yeah, I realized everyone was kinda dogpiling on the poor guy. Tried to address that and sympathize, but they seem to have peaced out. Can't PM em either.

Wasn't really trying to crush his dreams (got a chuckle out of your "Gleefully stomp on them" descriptor, though), but I disagreed with what he was asking for, and because he was participating in the discussion (and with just as lengthy responses), I responded in kind. And, actually, I gave quite a few more reasons than "they've never done things like that." In general, I don't like blanket reasons or generalizations, so I avoid them when possible. At any rate, I did feel a bit bad, but can't really do much to resolve it now.

I know you and I have had our differences, too, but at the end of the day, it's important not to take polite disagreements personally. Until slurs or personal attacks start getting thrown around, emotions should be kept firmly out of the equation. My strategy is discuss until a compromise is found, or give up if it's impossible. :shrug: The second someone says they don't want to talk about it, though, I stop. Until then, I assume they are on board.

I can't help it, it's compulsive!

In all seriousness, by now, if not before, I consider(ed) it a community service. I think I got the spark shortly after they said they'd not apply the class system, indicating a cop role (among others) would just not be likely or possible and that, as I recall it, disappointed quite a lot of people who originally were hoping just for that: certain roles you could pick, due to "class" or not. And let's face it, many would like the idea of being able to play some sort of cop role in a dystopian cyberpunk world, perhaps some sort of "Judge Dredd", even if not as special or badass and just some low rank deputy or cop, or in this case perhaps MAX-TAC because I specifically believe with the current protagonist idea, you could somehow implement a way to have V partake in MAX-TAC missions if the right conditions were met as some sort of optional side content that would not interfere much with the rest of the game. Loosely compared to hopping in a police car in older GTA games to do some vigilante missions, but more immersive and woven in, with more interaction with NCPD of course.

Main reasoning is that if one raised feedback or suggestions about it early, there could be a realistic (or even remote) chance of this being changed. Just like people do with other topics like the apartments or the old music track. Main thing is to keep it respectful and / or work on a compromise or keep it remotely obtainable - I clearly can't start demanding classic factions back, unrealistic at this time, maybe for a DLC or mod.

And I think one could realistically get some compromises or police (side) content additions from even the main game, not just a later DLC (if it would notably cover this, I'd also take a late DLC!) or, as last straw, a good mod, from the community.

While some could say it might be expected of you ("Hurr durr, it's your job!"), I still want to say thanks for keeping the thread relatively on point or topic.

I remember a long time ago I was doing a bit of "Dream crushing" with you, too. Not sure if you remember. But essentially saying not to get your hopes up because it probably wouldn't happen (sorry about that -- I was younger and a bit less understanding; I.E. a prick).

Now, I see the value in the little things. And some sort of NCPD pseudo-faction work compromise would be most welcome, and not outside of the realm of possibility.

I actually 100% agree that V could partake in Max-Tac missions, and furthermore, I think it will happen. There are going to be a LOT of quests in 2077. You are going to work for a lot of different people. Given how core to the Cyberpunk universe cyberpsychosis is, who's to say you can't stumble upon a Max-Tac team that's so unbelievable desperate that they're willing to recruit a punk? Maybe if you do your job well, they'll keep that in mind and use you for future wetwork.

Perhaps you'll even be given the opportunity to sympathize and help the psycho in question (saying this with the expectation that a lore expert will tell me how stupid of an idea that is). In my mind, (good) police work is all about the gray areas. Nothing in our world or the world of 2077 (or very little, anyway) is black and white.

As such, not every cop (Max Tac or otherwise) is going to be a corrupt jerk bag. Some will be good, or at least trying to do the best they can in a hecked-up society. It'd be pretty cool if V could find these folks, befriend them, and help them from time to time (or hinder, if you roll that way).

Yeah, I realized everyone was kinda dogpiling on the poor guy. Tried to address that and sympathize, but they seem to have peaced out. Can't PM em either.

Wasn't really trying to crush his dreams (got a chuckle out of your "Gleefully stomp on them" descriptor, though), but I disagreed with what he was asking for, and because he was participating in the discussion (and with just as lengthy responses), I responded in kind. And, actually, I gave quite a few more reasons than "they've never done things like that." In general, I don't like blanket reasons or generalizations, so I avoid them when possible. At any rate, I did feel a bit bad, but can't really do much to resolve it now.

I know you and I have had our differences, too, but at the end of the day, it's important not to take polite disagreements personally. Until slurs or personal attacks start getting thrown around, emotions should be kept firmly out of the equation. My strategy is discuss until a compromise is found, or give up if it's impossible. :shrug: The second someone says they don't want to talk about it, though, I stop. Until then, I assume they are on board.

OK, full disclosure? I didn't read the complete discourse between the two of you in its entirety [Edited -- SigilFey]

But back on topic...while I'm OK with modding being a good "Plan B" to get some police action into Cyberpunk 2077, I still kind of hope that maybe somehow CDPR adds adventures for the classes left behind as DLC, much like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 is doing by adding in the various Clans that the game won't launch with later on as updates and DLC. Maybe somehow the same can be done with the Cop, Fixer, and other classes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright! (Fires repeatedly in the air. Marshmallows patter back down all over the place.) The conversation here is getting entirely too personal in its focus. One post edited.

The game. Discuss the game. If not...marshmallow. Sooo much marshmallow.

The game. Discuss the game. If not...marshmallow. Sooo much marshmallow.

@Metropolice

Do you think police eat marshmallows in the dark future? What about donuts?

Now I want to know if we can enter police stations and interact with people at all, or if they will be "rabbit holes" that NPCs come in and out of (or just stand around in front of) but are off-limits to players.

Hmmm....

(how'd you like my segue, Sigi?)

OK, full disclosure? I didn't read the complete discourse between the two of you in its entirety [Edited -- SigilFey]

But back on topic...while I'm OK with modding being a good "Plan B" to get some police action into Cyberpunk 2077, I still kind of hope that maybe somehow CDPR adds adventures for the classes left behind as DLC, much like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 is doing by adding in the various Clans that the game won't launch with later on as updates and DLC. Maybe somehow the same can be done with the Cop, Fixer, and other classes?

It's tricky. I think the reason they chose the three "classes" that they did for 2077 is that they're kind of the only ones that fit traditional RPG (Not just fantasy) roles. Solo -- warrior/combat pro, techie -- engineer/summoner/mage(?), netrunner -- rogue/assassin/thief.

The only other one I can think of that might fit would be Rocker or Media, as they would both fit the "Bard"-type role and could rely on persuasion to get through encounters. However, that is already going to be an option (when appropriate), so it might not make sense to attach that playstyle to a specific role (since all "fluid" roles can do it). Nomad and Corporate are already covered by the lifepaths, so that's them out as well.

The main thing is, in order for another role to make it into the game (in my mind), they would need to bring a unique playstyle to the table. Not just unique, but something that could smoothly be fit into the existing experience (so it doesn't need a full game re-work).

In the case of cop, perhaps you could have abilities that let you pacify enemies? Maybe you'd be rolling against their "Cool" to determine whether or not they're willing to give up and "come quietly" (maybe let you cuff them, or they cuff themselves and hide nearby). The higher your cool, or the higher whatever this "pacify" ability, the more people can be affected by your warnings in an area. You could also get a few unique dialogue abilities to flex your cop muscles.

I'm not sure what other abilities there could be, though. Maybe @Metropolice would like to brainstorm?

Perhaps you could also non-violently "commandeer" somebody's vehicle. "Police business, I need your vehicle" (Cool check in the background). NPC: "Hell no, get out of my face." or "SUPER hell no, now I'm going to attack you." or "Fine, but make it quick." (the car, if it has support for it, could auto-drive back to its owner when you are finished).

Last edited:
@Snowflakez
I'd have to review the average food and accessability parts of the lore again but on first thought it would almost seem lucky to enjoy donuts, at least as we know them today. I'm guessing on the lower end you get by like the core of the populace, and if you're higher up, better food ends up on the plate.

Anyway, moving to your other aspects:

1) I think we get to see at least one partial police station, as in explorable to some extent.

2) If you'd ask me I'd also view such things like NCPD and so on less like a "class", more so like a faction or choice that you could pick regardless of your "class", like you see in many games where you can pick factions and where picking them has not as much to do with your skillset, even if some factions in some games might focus on certain skillsets or require them. But that's just an example or theory, obviously, classic factions were ruled out.

(Also referring to your spoiler)
For CP2077, we'd realistically look at something I'd generally describe as (largely optional) side content if we were to ponder how we could add tie ins with NCPD that are not hostile, but cooperative or helpful. While you might get certain lasting perks if you help them (like access to certain tech that might be forbidden otherwise, possibly clothing or access to certain areas or access to their quartermasters and goodies and anything else you can think of), I doubt you have to expect lasting authority over people beyond specific NCPD related tasks (missions), so ability-wise we'd look for things tied in to those quests.

What I mean is, you might get to capture or arrest people - if that specific task demands or offers it. Other than that since you do not become an average beat cop, you prolly don't police the average NC citizen of course. But soft perks woven into gameplay would kind of sound cool, even if they would be very unlikely. For example if you established some NCPD ties and jacking a vehicle, instead of just saying something generic you could indeed pretend you are a cop. It would be a little "fluff" or bonus.

Disclaimer: This is mostly from a perspective of whether some of the ideas would be "realistic" or likely from the game dev perspective at launch. Of course, some ideas here might be more feasible for a late DLC (a dedicated cop related one, or one that also covers this next to other things, would be cool!) or, if nothing else helps, mods. So if we think about ideas we should mentally always keep in mind that idea X might be feasible or possible for release or not, and if (not) for that, then maybe as later addition to the game by the game devs, or perhaps more suitable or likely as mod.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note: I'll still try to update the OP and make it more streamlined or structured, but I'll wait until I see the gameplay video or get more info, so it will likely happen at the end of August.

It's tricky. I think the reason they chose the three "classes" that they did for 2077 is that they're kind of the only ones that fit traditional RPG (Not just fantasy) roles. Solo -- warrior/combat pro, techie -- engineer/summoner/mage(?), netrunner -- rogue/assassin/thief.

The only other one I can think of that might fit would be Rocker or Media, as they would both fit the "Bard"-type role and could rely on persuasion to get through encounters. However, that is already going to be an option (when appropriate), so it might not make sense to attach that playstyle to a specific role (since all "fluid" roles can do it). Nomad and Corporate are already covered by the lifepaths, so that's them out as well.

The main thing is, in order for another role to make it into the game (in my mind), they would need to bring a unique playstyle to the table. Not just unique, but something that could smoothly be fit into the existing experience (so it doesn't need a full game re-work).

In the case of cop, perhaps you could have abilities that let you pacify enemies? Maybe you'd be rolling against their "Cool" to determine whether or not they're willing to give up and "come quietly" (maybe let you cuff them, or they cuff themselves and hide nearby). The higher your cool, or the higher whatever this "pacify" ability, the more people can be affected by your warnings in an area. You could also get a few unique dialogue abilities to flex your cop muscles.

I'm not sure what other abilities there could be, though. Maybe @Metropolice would like to brainstorm?

Perhaps you could also non-violently "commandeer" somebody's vehicle. "Police business, I need your vehicle" (Cool check in the background). NPC: "Hell no, get out of my face." or "SUPER hell no, now I'm going to attack you." or "Fine, but make it quick." (the car, if it has support for it, could auto-drive back to its owner when you are finished).

You know what might work, even though it'd be fairly divisive? What if future DLC, while still taking place in Night City, didn't focus on V but instead had us make another gender neutral named protagonist to play as one of the other classes with new gameplay elements? The Cop DLC would have some of the ideas that have been tossed around in this topic so far and would have access to skills that main game V wouldn't. Gameplay would be quite different as there would be rules to follow as a Cop unless there's an option to play as a rogue Cop.

Maybe the next DLC could be Media focused and tie into the Cop DLC, perhaps the new Media character we would create is investigating something huge the Cop character from the previous DLC discovered. Instead of the mayhem for hire that is the main game, and the "To protect and serve" gameplay of the Cop DLC, the media DLC would be less combat focused and more investigative, maybe letting you hire NPC Solos and Netrunners back you up while you chase down your story.

Then perhaps the final DLC could be Corporate themed as you play yet another created character that ties into the previous two DLCs, perhaps as a whistleblower who is in contact with the Media character. Gameplay in this one would be more cloak and dagger as your Corporate is trying to gather the materials they need to give to the Media while trying to stay alive from your fellow cutthroat Corporates who want your corner office.

I dunno, just spitballing ideas here...anyways, that'd be something I'd be interested to play. :ok:

Last edited:
You know what might work, even though it'd be fairly decisive? What if future DLC, while still taking place in Night City, didn't focus on V but instead had us make another gender neutral named protagonist to play as one of the other classes with new gameplay elements? The Cop DLC would have some of the ideas that have been tossed around in this topic so far and would have access to skills that main game V wouldn't. Gameplay would be quite different as there would be rules to follow as a Cop unless there's an option to play as a rogue Cop.

Maybe the next DLC could be Media focused and tie into the Cop DLC, perhaps the new Media character we would create is investigating something huge the Cop character from the previous DLC discovered. Instead of the mayhem for hire that is the main game, and the "To protect and serve" gameplay of the Cop DLC, the media DLC would be less combat focused and more investigative, maybe letting you hire NPC Solos and Netrunners back you up while you chase down your story.

Then perhaps the final DLC could be Corporate themed as you play yet another created character that ties into the previous two DLCs, perhaps as a whistleblower who is in contact with the Media character. Gameplay in this one would be more cloak and dagger as your Corporate is trying to gather the materials they need to give to the Media while trying to stay alive from your fellow cutthroat Corporates who want your corner office.

I dunno, just spitballing ideas here...anyways, that'd be something I'd be interested to play. :ok:
Very, very cool ideas. You're right that it would be controversial, because I think most people would -- based on their gut feeling -- prefer to have DLC that lets them play more with their existing characters. However, it would be a very interesting concept and not something we see very often.

Perhaps the world state of each DLC could be impacted by the other, based on choices you make (this is something you hinted at, but I'm just specifying).

edited quote"Mods be good thing"
I agree, because then all the dreams come true :)
Post automatically merged:

@Metropolice

Do you think police eat marshmallows in the dark future? What about donuts?

Now I want to know if we can enter police stations and interact with people at all, or if they will be "rabbit holes" that NPCs come in and out of (or just stand around in front of) but are off-limits to players.

Hmmm....

(how'd you like my segue, Sigi?)
Yup. That's a good segue.
well marshmallow and donut is one segue, but If the police need sandwich, they go to subue :shrug:
I hope the police in Night City have access to slightly better food than everyone else and get some mild criticism for it from the normal civilians. Maybe as some things they mention in the street like "Grr those cops with their donuts made from "better kibble" (better than normal kibble) or something. Might be funny :shrug:

Last edited:
Top Bottom