Cybercop 2077: Police related side content - thoughts and discussions

+

Are you interested in such police related content?

• Total voters
Notice: This thread will be updated soon-ish with more specific realization ideas. Stay tuned! - 24th August 2019

CPCoppromotion.png

🚔 The police content encouragement and discussion (mega-)thread 🚔

⇢ What is the point of this thread in a nutshell?
To encourage CDPR (or potential future modders) early to consider and implement police related content the player can actively take part in and to create potential affiliations or job opportunities. Ideally as part of a standard or full release or potential DLC. If all else fails, modders are called upon to make it a reality. In addition, add your thoughts here: Do you want to see it yourself? Do you not mind it at all? Are you against it? How could this look like later on if you are in favor of it?

⇢ Reasoning
Crime is part of the cyperpunk setting, which the recent gameplay trailer reaffirms as you walk past a crime scene investigation. Chances are you will at one point or another interact with police. In the GTA series, for example, police primarily serves as an antagonistic force and enemy of the player. But why not change the sides here and see it from the other perspective?

The cop role (in a dystopian setting) is liked by not just a few. And my name here might give away my preference there, if it wasn't obvious. Ever since the first trailer, many people likely imagined taking part in such roles and it was also kind of hinted at that the player could be able to pick such a role, with psychosquad and whatnot. However, the recent changes and statements which are mirrored in the community suggest the old idea of implementing roles and factions the players can pick and side with was changed in favor of a relatively independent main character that - the assumption so far anyway - merely works with them and various actors.

But you never get to formally join, it seems. And that would be a shame because it is wasted potential in a way. Now, we can't have it all of course and in a way, it would be additional work. There's pros and cons in the end to this.

The idea is to find perhaps common grounds even if the main statement of "You cannot join factions (formally)" remains. This is the purpose of this thread: to find supporters and to encourage CDPR (or future modders) to consider this popular angle in a way that doesn't require major work that a "main faction" could require. A compromise, of sorts.

Notice: While there are a few posts and perhaps threads about factions, it should be noted that this is solely dealing with police related interactions and perhaps affiliations.

⇢ Implementation of a compromise variant - how this could work for a vanilla or perhaps DLC
Alright. Let's assume formal factions are out of the picture and V relatively remains independent without signing up somewhere via blood, contract, vow, etc.
A bummer for hardcore cop fans who wanted to play such a role in CP2077.

But wait, there's more!

There's still a possibility to kind of salvage or utilize that "dream". If we cannot formally join factions, let us apply to NCPD what would (by the current info and looks of it) would be applied to all other factions you work with, like gangs or corps. You can build a reputation and work with factions. Should NCPD be an exception then? The idea here is to offer the player various missions and opportunities, in this case relating to NCPD. Crime is vital aspect and they surely have need for other people to do work. Instead of only serving as some kind of quest giver, the suggestion to cater to "cop fans" is that "V" can become something like an authorized agent or trusted contractor. Maybe not immediately and only after building some rep and doing some tasks. This would eventually lead to certain privileges or them turning a blind eye on things, perhaps you can then wear NCPD uniforms and gear, utilize such weapons, and use certain abilities, aka act like a cop, if not in general on the streets then for specific missions, while the ability to use their gear could overlap into your normal gameplay until you perhaps end up on their shitlist.

How is this a compromise, you could ask? Most notably, you avoid the expectations people might have when you formally join a faction, such as unique quest lines and faction specific content. It's not the ideal solution from the consumer POV, but is surely less work for the developer in the current frame while it would cater to players. If classic factions will not even be part of future DLCs, then I personally think that this would be a fair and good compromise that would not take too much time and resources in comparison. In turn with this approach you avoid potential conflicts in other missions if V were to be a full time or regular cop.

You'd in essence be a "part-time" or indirect cop as long as you do not anger NCPD and built up a soft rep for yourself with them. They start to trust you, they give you certain benefits and missions. Or let you join as kind of a "reservist" if that makes sense so you're not bound by their daily work and can opt in when you want.

How realistic this might be lore-wise I don't know. It would likely need an explanation or exposition in-game or in general, but it's better than "full factions or nothing" in that regard.

That should wrap it up in a nutshell and I thank you all, from devs to staff to players, for your attention.
What are your thoughts and wishes in that regard? Would you play such a role if it was a given possibility by release, DLC or mod?

NCPD.png

Last edited:
Voted 'indifferent' , because usually in a world like Cyberpunk (or shadowrun) cops are rotten and more evil than others evil factions . (because they hide behind badges and nice speech but it's all a facade ) .

And we gonna play as a Merc right ? So unless you play as a greedy character , I know I wouldn't care for whatever quest they would have for me . If I played a goodie goodie Vi , I be a vigilanté in their eyes and they gonna hate me . If I play a 'don't give a fuck about anyone or anything ' they still gonna hate meh .

So I hate them back and do what I want .

(act like a cop, wear such clothing, be recognized by people as such if wearing the right clothes or some kind of badge, have certain divisions you could opt to work in and get different types of missions therefore)
I see alot of issue there .

For one , if something like that was added ? I would hope your street rep get nuked and it should . any sane faction that exist and did work with...would and should be gunning for you . Nobody would turn a blind eye on someone working for the 'Red Tape Organisation' and shouldn't .

But like I said , I voted indifferent because I wouldn't care for such content . But I wouldn't also say I don't want it lol if peoples want such a thing...then go for it . As long as I'm not forced to do it , it's fine by meh :)

I see some concerns and I thought of them when writing the OP or proposal. But... perhaps...

...it should be part of the game. A conscious choice by the player with all potential benefits and disadvantages. Just like in the gameplay trailer, you can decide to fuck over the Maelstrom gang and boost your corp (and fixer) rep instead. Even if you can never formally join factions or be basically considered part of them officially, you pick sides throughout the game. And they will react to that.

I'd argue that this should just be another case of that, although in the case of NCPD, at best I think you can damage your rep with criminal elements of the city. Corps would be indifferent by and large unless you as player (not necessarily as cop) annoy or damage them.

Perhaps if we were to see something like this, the possibility might also exist that you can portray a rather corrupt one or someone that occasionally interacts with seedier elements. Doesn't mean because you are licensed or in such clothing you immediately lose all rep by default and respect. Some characters could give V snide or joking remarks and you as player could decide whether you wanted to continue or break ties. In simpler terms, be potentially corrupt or turn a blind eye to your previous connections and contacts.

I see that this general police content for the player might obviously be tricky to implement AND then tie in to the other groups and game elements, but I generally think there is a way to get it done somehow. Modders could do it for GTA which wasn't really designed for this (from the player perspective), so I guess with an even more immersive and advanced environment here that draws you into the world, it should be considered.

And if nothing else works, glorified GTA-like vigilante or bounty hunting missions with some perks is stil better than nothing in that regard - in my eyes anyway.

View attachment 10975760

🚔 The police content encouragement and discussion (mega-)thread 🚔

⇢ What is the point of this thread in a nutshell?
To encourage CDPR (or potential future modders) early to consider and implement police related content the player can actively take part in and to create potential affiliations or job opportunities. Ideally as part of a standard or full release or potential DLC. If all else fails, modders are called upon to make it a reality. In addition, add your thoughts here: Do you want to see it yourself? Do you not mind it at all? Are you against it? How could this look like later on if you are in favor of it?

⇢ Reasoning
Crime is part of the cyperpunk setting, which the recent gameplay trailer reaffirms as you walk past a crime scene investigation. Chances are you will at one point or another interact with police. In the GTA series, for example, police primarily serves as an antagonistic force and enemy of the player. But why not change the sides here and see it from the other perspective?

The cop role (in a dystopian setting) is liked by not just a few. And my name here might give away my preference there, if it wasn't obvious. Ever since the first trailer, many people likely imagined taking part in such roles and it was also kind of hinted at that the player could be able to pick such a role, with psychosquad and whatnot. However, the recent changes and statements which are mirrored in the community suggest the old idea of implementing roles and factions the players can pick and side with was changed in favor of a relatively independent main character that - the assumption so far anyway - merely works with them and various actors.

But you never get to formally join, it seems. And that would be a shame because it is wasted potential in a way. Now, we can't have it all of course and in a way, it would be additional work. There's pros and cons in the end to this.

The idea is to find perhaps common grounds even if the main statement of "You cannot join factions (formally)" remains. This is the purpose of this thread: to find supporters and to encourage CDPR (or future modders) to consider this popular angle in a way that doesn't require major work that a "main faction" could require. A compromise, of sorts.

Notice: While there are a few posts and perhaps threads about factions, it should be noted that this is solely dealing with police related interactions and perhaps affiliations.

⇢ Ideal implementation and potential compromises - how this could work for a vanilla or DLC variant
Now, ideally we get to see the ability for the player to sign up at NCPD with some fleshed out content by release or a later update or DLC, even though it seems that faction memberships are ruled out.

Formally anyway. It does not have to be or serve as main faction in the game. In my eyes, it would suffice to serve as on-going mission and reward giver while granting some additional abilities (act like a cop, wear such clothing, be recognized by people as such if wearing the right clothes or some kind of badge, have certain divisions you could opt to work in and get different types of missions therefore). Think of like a more enhanced immersive version of the older GTA vigilante missions you could start by hopping into a police car. A part-time affiliation of sorts where you decide when you want to work in that field, but are then issued with certain gear and powers.

Think of it like a mini-faction or side-quest strain that empowers you to perhaps obtain money and certain things as you play through the main game and main plot without really replacing or changing it a lot.

That's the ideal or almost ideal proposal or view anyway, but it might contradict with "Player cannot (formally) join factions". If this is out of the picture from the developer POV, for a vanilla release and even a later DLC or update, then perhaps we can aim for a compromise that may perhaps already be covered or not.

And that would be, just like with the other factions and what is already kind of shown in the game, mission contracting or being some kind of (licensed) bounty hunter or licensed agent for police. Perhaps you never join formally and skip academy and training stuff, but you can essentially do cop work and, ideally, they allow you to wear their gear and perhaps even present yourself as one in the right context or situations when dealing with people.

You essentially save yourself a somewhat fleshed out mini-faction with quest strains and so on while catering to the players who want do to this kind of stuff in such a cool game and lore environment. In turn, you offer side quests or activities in such a bustling place. A compromise, of sorts. The dream, however, is that you can eventually do fully fledged policing and stuff.

Ever played GTA 4 or 5? Seen the LCPD:FR or LSPD:FR mods? Then you know what is my ideal view on the topic - play as cop and police others in a dynamic unscripted fashion that is random as you walk or drive in the streets. Radiant endless random quests or gameplay, in a way, without them labelling as such. It may not be the main scope of the game, but many would like to see something going just remotely in that direction.

That should wrap it up in a nutshell and I thank you all, from devs to staff to players, for your attention.
What are your thoughts and wishes in that regard? Would you play such a role if it was a given possibility by release, DLC or mod?

View attachment 10975757
I would love that , have a choice to be a part of the police or help them against the crime for sure would be fun IMHO .
More immersive for a RPG . also with your police uniform and all XD
That's why i like this teaser trailer :

This trailer was so cool for me

Your idea to work as a cop to obtain money is very good for me +1 , a good way to do some secondary mission and keep the city in check like Batman XD

Last edited:
I think the interesting thing is that V and Jackie are very distinct from the Boostergangs. They're operating, as we've seen so far, within the extent of the law.

I mean, the whole reason Jackie is excited about Dexter turning up to offer missions is because he acts as a broker between the illegal world and the legitimate corporate world. He allows Jackie and V to remain "legit" while interacting with the underworld and performing otherwise illegal actions.

First mission is rescuing someone from an illegal gang, which is presumably a contract offered legitimately by someone.

Next mission involves taking out people who have stolen from Militech, who are powerful enough to influence the police (see Meredith's file that pops up in Dexter's car).

This suggests that even if you didn't meet Meredith, Militech would probably be happy you took out the gang (or inadvertantly lead them to their location) and would tell the cops to not intervene in your actions.

TLDR: So far, Jackie and V seem to actually be legal mercenary contractors rather than criminals, even if they fraternise and negotiate with criminal types. Night City is such a violent place that you can still be a "legit" bounty hunter if a corp backs you, even if you're doing sketchy deals and murdering people. We haven't seen anything warranting police response yet and I get the impression V and Jackie don't break the law, they instead work on the literal "Edge" of it.

Hence one big reason they are "Edgerunners".

As a PnP player, the police (the way my ref ran them) had very... flexible attitudes about law enforcement. Laws were enforced when it suited the game, but more often than not they were simply one of the biggest and most well funded gangs in NC. You approached a cop at your own risk.

Cops may be the most difficult profession to implement in a game like CP2077.

I think the developers are going the merc-route, were V becomes a hired hand. So, being a merc for the police is possible.

As none of us know the main story, it might include such elements shown through the original trailer, to do some investigating work using techniques we see in Bladerunner. We'll see when Cyberpunk 2077 is released.

Im going to say its a little weird there was such a big showcase for the teaser trailer having police. Made it seem like it was a vital part of the game but when the trailer and game demo came out it regulated you to being a merc "i do like playing that in most games tho"? I was really hoping to play a cop in this game because like most cyberpunk medium the MC are cops: Blade runner, Dredd, Ghost in the shell, etc "even the table top game". It feels really strange that this role was left out. Now i cant make people" make my day" as a semi rip off judge dredd:cry:.

Yes, I understand games change in development and its still being worked on. So im still kind of hoping there will be some kind of law enforcement role when the games done but im not holding my breath

Last edited:
Nah. Doubt it'll happen.

Here's the problem, folks - everybody wants something like this.

People are asking for V to be able to play as a corporate overlord, a police officer, a trauma team member, a rockerboy, and god knows what else.

This was all possible in the PnP, sure. But the MOMENT you start caring about an actual story in your game, it becomes nearly-impossible with today's level of tech, and the realities of games being developed by humans and not super-powered robots.

CDPR cannot program every single possibility into their game. If they create these awesome, satisfying, branching stories for all of these roles, the game will A. never get finished and B. have a much worse overarching story if it does get finished.

The day someone creates a game that has everything 2077 is already promising, as well as a bunch of branching story paths for various roles, as well as the production values CDPR is known for, I'll eat my words.

Ask for whatever you want. But temper your expectations and think about how this sort of stuff will affect the game as a whole. What if CDPR spends a month working on this content, and only a small portion of the playerbase cares? Oopsie. There goes TPP. Joke, but you get the idea. Resources are finite.

Nah. Doubt it'll happen.

Here's the problem, folks - everybody wants something like this.

People are asking for V to be able to play as a corporate overlord, a police officer, a trauma team member, a rockerboy, and god knows what else.

This was all possible in the PnP, sure. But the MOMENT you start caring about an actual story in your game, it becomes nearly-impossible with today's level of tech, and the realities of games being developed by humans and not super-powered robots.

CDPR cannot program every single possibility into their game. If they create these awesome, satisfying, branching stories for all of these roles, the game will A. never get finished and B. have a much worse overarching story if it does get finished.

The day someone creates a game that has everything 2077 is already promising, as well as a bunch of branching story paths for various roles, as well as the production values CDPR is known for, I'll eat my words.

Ask for whatever you want. But temper your expectations and think about how this sort of stuff will affect the game as a whole. What if CDPR spends a month working on this content, and only a small portion of the playerbase cares? Oopsie. There goes TPP. Joke, but you get the idea. Resources are finite.

For the base game you're right.

But how about a DLC made after the bug-fixes has done the magic after release? I can see options of police vs gangs, were V can join either as a merc and through some extensive game-play being accepted.

Right now I think there's a free-for-all aspect in this game as there are no join-able factions, and that's cool enough. Thus why I mention DLC.

There's no rule that says you can't be a medic either, but that idea needs to be fleshed out in a separate DLC with stories and backgrounds of what is happening and why.

Edit. Any good story needs a why and this is the reason some movies/games fall flat as the focus is surface-level thinking.

In Cyberpunk 2020 PnP, a character does not have to be cop to work for the Police. Bounty Hunters and Freelance Cops are the real deal as the Police is stretched thin and just can't cover every base except the most basic. So I bet there will be quest related to police work. Finding a fugitive, escorting a witness, staging a sting op, surveilance, stake out, cover stuff etc.

If the DLC (better say expansion) is based on another character I'm all in for it, given the chance we will be able to switch character a la GTA V, so we can roleplay both differently

Night City is very crime infected, so that tells you the police is either corrupt or incompetent. I would like to see that as a few side missions, but I don't think it's really for me.

Also, I don't think my V and police would be a good mix.:confused:

Night City is very crime infected, so that tells you the police is either corrupt or incompetent. I would like to see that as a few side missions, but I don't think it's really for me.

Also, I don't think my V and police would be a good mix.:confused:
In a demo she works with a corporation. Why wouldn't she work with the police? In Cyberpunk world Police is a different thing than in our world. Their daily work is making deals with the devil to at least keep some reasemblance of peace and security. If they can't deal with some gang, they are more than happy to have some friendly mercs ride combat zone to kill some asholles and blow up some stuff.

I should add that I updated the last aspect in the OP about implementation and worded it in a more direct way to show how this could be implemented. Not talking about a full career or joinable faction but a compromise solution of sorts.

People are asking for V to be able to play as a corporate overlord, a police officer, a trauma team member, a rockerboy, and god knows what else.[...]

With reference to the rest, you are right. Would require a certain content that takes time and they ruled it out. One of the reasons I'd now rather focus on compromises or other solutions than hoping for a classic faction approach with unique content.

In Cyberpunk 2020 PnP, a character does not have to be cop to work for the Police. Bounty Hunters and Freelance Cops are the real deal as the Police is stretched thin and just can't cover every base except the most basic. So I bet there will be quest related to police work. Finding a fugitive, escorting a witness, staging a sting op, surveilance, stake out, cover stuff etc.

This is more or less the plan B I suggest as it would be the most easy or likely to deliver. The fine difference I'd like to see in-game is accepted use of police gear (clothing / armor included) or specific ones for authorized folks plus that mission set to basically allow people to roughly portray those roles. And maybe appearing like an investigator or cop in dialogue in some of those quests or when others interrupt / jump you. Should still be way less work than creating unique content for a whole faction. I guess "freelance cop" is a good description for what I have in mind as compromise due to a lack of classic factions you can join, as statements imply.

If the DLC (better say expansion) is based on another character I'm all in for it, given the chance we will be able to switch character a la GTA V, so we can roleplay both differently

For me it doesn't necessarily have to be based on a different character due to this:

"V" is new to the city as far as I know despite various background choices. Now unless you can pick a special one or one that would rule this out, given that crime is rampant, I see no issue with V being (un)able to sign up at NCPD. They surely always need people.

Either way, I'd welcome that for an expansion.

In a demo she works with a corporation. Why wouldn't she work with the police? In Cyberpunk world Police is a different thing than in our world. Their daily work is making deals with the devil to at least keep some reasemblance of peace and security. If they can't deal with some gang, they are more than happy to have some friendly mercs ride combat zone to kill some asholles and blow up some stuff.
That is all your assumption. And if you put it that way, it seems even less fun (to me anyway). Though if police quests are implemented I will give them a shot.

Not opposed to V working with the police. Just opposed to V literally joining and becoming a member of the police, because it doesn't make any kind of sense based on what we know about the game's story so far. Not to mention technically difficult to implement given the already-dense nature of the game.

Top Bottom