Cybercop 2077: Police related side content - thoughts and discussions

+

Are you interested in such police related content?

• Total voters

Guest 4211861

I'm 100% sure there are cops in the game and we will meet them for quests, or for target practice, CDPR said we will interact with all classes from the original game. Source: some interview they did some time ago.

Police will apparently not be "pushovers".

https://www.vgr.com/night-city-police-cyberpunk-2077/

It will be interesting to see how this translates to gameplay. On one hand, yes, they should not be like paper targets and cannon fodder, but I suspect they will at least be initially be managable or avoidable somehow. But tactical teams will likely be a nightmare or even threat for experienced Vs, should they ever become an enemy.

(What a good time to bump this thread, to anyone chiming in, TL;DR: This is about more interaction with police from the player perspective or position, ideally in some semi-formal role)

A little "new year's bump", to raise awareness to the topic for potentially new community members.

Quick summary, in a nutshell

The original idea was to encourage police related content the player could take part in early on. With eventual news that V couldn't formally join factions in the classic sense and would usually rather remain independent, the focus shifted a bit.

1) Instead of expecting classic factions to join, the idea is to be able to work closely with certain police units or quasi-join them (MAX-TAC) without the burdens of general police jobs, or generally work closely with NCPD as a whole or have them as constant mission givers - ideally this nets you perks and certain police gear and clothing access

2) Possibly encourage any related idea for a future DLC in a more fleshed out faction and / or, regardless of this...

3) Encourage modders, assuming future modding is stable and will make it possible, to work on police related content comparable to the LCPD:FR and LSPD:FR mods from the GTA series that allows you classic police gameplay. But with a lot yet uncertain, this should be less about the details at this time, more so the possible things you could do with stable modding in that regard

Whether we get to see lots of content in that regard or not, I am sure many are looking forward to the game. But more of that content, optional, would of course be nice. I'm sure I'm not speaking for myself if I say that the futuristic dystopian feel is lucrative for a police profession or a Judge Dredd style character.

Even if the game is called Cyberpunk and not Cybercop in the end.

Cheers.

If you ask most players "Would you want X feature / content" they will usually say yes. But more is not always better. Even on huge projects, resources are finite. So adding one thing will always be a trade off for something else.

As would be the case for many of the 2020 role/faction types, it would be great to see options like what is being proposed in this thread made available to players at some point.

To deliver on the potential of that is a big ask, though. My preference would be that CDPR focus on nailing the Edgerunner experience first, and then expand beyond that foundation with post release content.

@evotaph

All reasonable points, I'd assume they have their hands full with work in the already set narrative or "main game". And yes, in the end, time and resources are finite. While deep down I am still a bit disappointed we don't get a classic faction system, it doesn't mean the game can't be great with a more set or rather loose, in the sense of factions, character.

I wouldn't even say no to a potential DLC that covers this once they have more resources to spare and less other urgent matters.

I still think a bit of early "lobbyism" isn't bad as the best time to expect any influence, changes or considerations for your idea is early, not way later when much of the core game or plot is in and set.

A DLC solution that allows V to join factions (alt: new character?) and see faction unique content may be nice, although I am not sure how that could easily be integrated into the main world or quest.

If all else fails, we have plan C: modding.

Thinking about it, even if that fails due to weak or insufficient modding tools or support:

We'll get a good game (incl. expansions and DLC) worth the money... and waiting.

If I get it right this might also be the start of a series of games in that setting, like the Witcher, so what may not make it in now might make it into later games. A good idea to assess consumer (player) wishes and preferences early on :p

Definitely. And please don't take my comments as trying to dissuade you. We all *should* be lobbying for our preferences here.

The great thing about Mike Pondsmith's vision for Cyberpunk is that there are decades of lore to draw from. So there is plenty of room for 2077 to grow. Whether that is in the form of post release DLC or mods, we all have a lot to look forward to.

I don't know about joining the police as such, but it would be cool to establish a relationship (platonic or otherwise) with even an individual in the NCPD, whether a detective or a traffic cop. They could give you tips/information, you could lend them a hand every now and then, etc.

Although a lot less likely, it would be fun if V could become a PI type (probably in DLC) and have interactions with the police through that. Basically just do a Tex Murphy ripoff.

You might want to mod hide this post it might be too good.
[hide]
Guess i should contribute to this, DLC as a new character ?
I like what Nithing said, detective to investigate crimes, (think Se7en, the movie) now that would be pretty neat, same theme and everything would make it amazing, got to say, that would be an amazing addition. Maybe if you could somehow track it down to the character we selected and in the end of the missions its you (the detecitve) and (You) the character you picked to play the main story that could end up interesting. If you left it as a "cliff hanger", as a tease to a new game (continuing CP2077) that would leave people wanting more, or some being pissed cause it didn't end, that choice is yours.. [/hide]

A detective approach sounds interesting.

Here's the kicker: The "new narrative or idea" on this thread is less about joining NCPD "in general" as that's now likely out of the picture. What but compromise or alternative would be viable?

NCPD ties or "joining" particular units

You can avoid the "faction dilemma" from a dev or plot perspective and still offer leeway, like you could often not formally join big factions in Fallout New Vegas (like Legion, NCR), but you could

a) closely work with them to be considered a quasi member, even run around with their gear in a certain way
b) join smaller not as important factions and groups, like the BOS (in that game its role isn't as big I like to think), the White Glove Society, the Kings, etc - groups where joining or not has no big impact on the main plot, but you can still "belong" to some group officially or more or less in practice

=========================================================================================

To mirror this, I imagine what could be fun and a working approach is just that: "joinable" (or "working with") "mini-factions" or particular units.

For NCPD, I imagine it like this, as I stated in earlier posts in different forms:

You can basically join or closely work with MAX-TAC or some sort of investigator unit or detective squad or branch and get perks out of it - ideally some sort of uniform or gear you can use, maybe next to other perks like abilities or changed speech in some situations or "quests"

Why did I pick MAX-TAC and then some more detective focused branch? Because those would be less intrusive than becoming a "rank and file beat cop" or officer that would potentially meddle with the main plot or the premise of "no joinable factions and an independent V".

MAX-TAC? Why? I'll just refer to this quote:

"They walk like us, talk like us. MAX-TAC are just criminals with a badge„
— Anonymous Punk, Protect & Serve

V's personality we can see in the shown footage so far would not need to be "warped", the (cyber)"punky" style can be retained, and MAX-TAC itself can be a logical source of what would often be higher risk missions in hunting down psychos, and neutralizing them, or perhaps responding to active situations in a support role. You even formally joining wouldn't necessarily impede the plot unless the main plot somehow has parts that cover this unit in a bigger detail or as antagonist in some mission.

It would just fit and you could do missions for them.

Detective stuff? I bet most people like it and since it's more so a special thing, "joining" or quasi-joining through close ties and supporting them would also be interesting and give you more Thriller-like content and more, next to pure action.

---------------------------------

Long story short, with slight tweaks and compromises you can expand the possibilities of the player, add more side content and if you just "tweak it right", you can make it seem like you basically do police related work, whether that may be as someone with "close ties to NCPD" if the players actively want it, or as quasi-member of particular units or branches that perhaps operate a bit outside of the usual MO or regulations.

It would be the best compromise I can imagine, for all involved.

But alas, we'll have to wait and see. I am very certain by now, the devs are aware of a particular interest in the area and either did consider it or are perhaps still considering it, or may do so a bit later. On the rest, I can only speculate, but it would be nice to be able to somehow work with NCPD beyond simply, say, go to a terminal to select random "bounties" to then hunt.

Not asking for a fully fledged NCPD career. Well, that would be nice, but it's not in the current or given scope. But a bit of leeway here and there for the Judge Dredd and Co. fanboys would be nice.

Before I repeat myself and make this post longer, I rest my case for now, eagerly awaiting more replies and discussion :)

It would be the good guy maybe get a cop car and take down some criminals like you could in Gta 4. Maybe get a choice between becoming a detective or Mafia boss.

I would love to see a Judge Dredd crossover for the DLC. Would be a perfect fit for this setting.

At this point a DLC (whether that has its own main or sub story or it simply adds this feature to the existing game) or mod is what you can hope for.

They ruled out joinable factions and regarding modding support, we'll have to see.

I remain a bit skeptical as to the extend you may live out Judge Dredd or (wannabe) cop stuff as that just doesn't seem to be the narrative of the game. I was initially more optimistic but recent statements and highlighting the punk in cyberpunk make it seem obvious that your possibilities in that regard will see limitations.

But the topic here remains vital despite or due to this as it is an "interest meter" and can still give both the devs indicators for the future for content additions and modders an inspiration of what to cover, if modding support will allow it.

And hey pessimistic or not, maybe the game "as is" will already give you some leeway there.

Only time can tell but I think our input remains vital regardless of this changing the game or not. If nothing else will works we can exchange stories about we pretend to be some sort of copper in the base game :D

Guest 4211861

I'm sure there will be cops in CP2077, but you can't play as a cop.

Maybe in an expansion? I mean, if the knights can hire you to catch their "beast", surely the cops can hire you to investigate someone with extreme prejudice.

There, that's the second expansion! V does dirty work for the police in a long campaign! Hey CDPR, are you listening?

I say second, because the first expansion will be the multiplayer content, or so the voices in my head tell me.

Heh, I hope "good" (is subjective, I know) MP will be a thing.

You know, first I (not just me, I am certain) was very optimistic, then the mood was dampened a lot but now I think:

Let's assume worst case. Nothing in that direction at all besides a few bounty hunting missions from police. Let's also assume no future DLC will cover "Cybercop"™ and modding support won't allow the required efforts to be implemented.

It will still be a great game with many other themes.

And here's the kicker: CP77 won't be the only game. If all else fails those themes or possibilities could be explored in a follow-up game with other characters, DLC or modding options.

Just gotta hold the flame up high all the time, then you can say you argued for your ideas or raised attention to them, whether towards the devs or the community and modders.

Depending on more info being released this thread will be updated (mostly the OP) accordingly and change direction. For example antics with NCPD in-game or people posting stories about them pretending to be NC's version of Batman.

We'll see, first, let's collectively look forward to E3.

Soon™

Heh, I hope "good" (is subjective, I know) MP will be a thing.

You know, first I (not just me, I am certain) was very optimistic, then the mood was dampened a lot but now I think:

Let's assume worst case. Nothing in that direction at all besides a few bounty hunting missions from police. Let's also assume no future DLC will cover "Cybercop"™ and modding support won't allow the required efforts to be implemented.

It will still be a great game with many other themes.

And here's the kicker: CP77 won't be the only game. If all else fails those themes or possibilities could be explored in a follow-up game with other characters, DLC or modding options.

Just gotta hold the flame up high all the time, then you can say you argued for your ideas or raised attention to them, whether towards the devs or the community and modders.

Depending on more info being released this thread will be updated (mostly the OP) accordingly and change direction. For example antics with NCPD in-game or people posting stories about them pretending to be NC's version of Batman.

We'll see, first, let's collectively look forward to E3.

Soon™
Looking forward to it! I know I argued against this idea early on, but it was more because I thought it was impractical to ask for what you were asking for (it seems you've come to the same realization now), but I still respect you fighting for it.

Indeed, the #1 thing we can hope for is great modding tools. If we get those, anything is possible - this'll be the first game I actually have an interest in creating content for, now that I've learned a few more things about 3D art.

I've been a big proponent of radiant-style missions for Cyberpunk 2077, as little misceallenous, randomized, repeatable side objectives that players could return to to just "live" in the world after they are done with other missions. There's no reason cop-related missions couldn't be included there.

As in the CP world NCPD is understaffed (thats understatement) they outsource a lot of work to licensed bounty hunters, freelance cops (a cyberpunk thingy, not sure how it can work, just as the Free States... :) ) and regular mercenaries "See, there's this gang. They don't play by the rules. Go waste them, get their gear and for our part there's some side founds reserved, that we can spare and we won't be too thorough with the investigation and classify the whole thing as a mass suicide. Deal?"

Hope they use North California State Executioner in game or one of the expansions. Even 2020 Executioner can still be alive in this time via becoming full borg.

For those that don't know the lore its basically MAX TAC version of Judge Dredd, super bad-ass cop capable of taking o the most dangerous of criminals in the entire state.

Heh, that would also be cool to be able to work with the state executioner if that will (still) be a thing.

I mean there is still something I hope for and that I mentioned prior to some extend: the "part time" or "soft cop" routine where V isn't becoming a classic cop but also becomes more than just someone accepting missions from an NCPD 'bounty hunting terminal' like someone working an assembly line or so.

To summarize how it could roughly work is V being able to become something like a more trusted or licensed version of a bounty hunter or "freelance cop" that gets certain perks and gear. Alternatively V can "join" MAX-TAC after a while or with enough "soft rep" (I know there is no classic rep system) as something like a "honorary member", "reservist", "mercenary assistant member" or simply work closely with them in a radiant or repeatable quest frame and kinda be considered part of MAX-TAC.

Of course I thought about potential issues. I think there are little to none if you do it right. The key part above is V never is or becomes a beat cop or average member and kinda stays independent, whether as trusted or licensed bounty hunter or merc who does get certain perks however and in the sense of MAXTAC the wiki article implies MAXTAC is its own brand of special people more akin to cyberpunks with badges and heavy augmentation. So V could fit in well.

In both cases since you are not an average NCPD member you could still fuck up and be wanted, and at the same time you can normally interact with your fixers, corpos, etc. Normally joining NCPD or other factions would rather mess this up, but those solutions above are easygoing.

The key points for the solutions above is that you can pretend cop (role) play without changing V's character or dialogue too much, or the overall plot narrative. You won't be writing parking tickets in uniform. But you eventually get perks like gear (incl. weapons, augments or uniforms like clothing or armor) to use or put on without repercussions. And maybe have people react to your (official) clothing on occasion.

No classic faction campaign, no classic membership.

I'd expect the same (of sorts) from the currently shown factions by the way: if you help Maelstrom or Militech, don't you have to eventually expect to get some perks or more mission options in return while they give you warmer or more appreciative dialogue options or consider you like on of their own?

We basically ask for the same with a bit of leeway for V and NCPD here. Not like it's a totally irrelevant faction. Maybe in the plot of the game but not in the world itself.

Tl;Dr: Here you cannot just see an idea of encouraging or adding elements of "cop stuff" for the player but also how it could roughly work in the given currently known narrative of the game. No classic cop career but (way or at least a bit) more than shallow GTA4 vigilante missions.

Can't wait for the game, on another note.

🔜

I can see an ongoing role doing bounty hunter type work, perhaps requiring one to register as a bounty hunter, and pay for a license to pursue wanted criminals for a fee.
Does Night City have a "most wanted" list?

... of course, it might be entertaining if there was a tip line, or 911 emergency number that could be called where you could "swat" hard target locations and walk in after the fireworks are over for an easy objective completion.

... of course, it might be entertaining if there was a tip line, or 911 emergency number that could be called where you could "swat" hard target locations and walk in after the fireworks are over for an easy objective completion.

I think I actually applied this somewhat successfully in GTA 4 or 5 on a small scale.

I'm quite certain we can expect not just private bounty hunting work from individuals, gangs and companies but the city or police, too.

Question simply remains how "in-depth" your ties can become after a while. I'd prefer being able to get rather close the groups like this and get various hard and soft perks, gear, new missions, vehicles, etc. If you haven proven yourself, that is. Just like that Fixer thing, test tasks or probing first, then closer or lasting business relations and acceptance or deeper personal ties.

Top Bottom