Cybergeneraation/ cyberpunk v3 what can we use from these settings

+
Cybergeneraation/ cyberpunk v3 what can we use from these settings

Now Cyberpunk is the name of the game, but it does have 2 games a lot of the purists over look, but they each have their good points.

Cyber Generation introduced Virtuality, which if you look at it is Augmented Reality, imagined in 1990s. It also had Genius Guns, fire arms that fired slef guiding munitions. They also had Spinners, the evolution of aerodynes. There were several cool features to this game. To be honest Cybergen was my introduction to cyberpunk as a kid, and as a 12 year old, playing a hero that's my age in a scifi setting was immensely awesome.

Cyberpunk v3, had bad art, terrible layout, and a font that hurts the eyes. I mean I have it on my kindle and its some what hard to read. But it did have some, some good points. Yes the world was practically unreconizeable unlike Cybergen (which I could see it as a evolution of the setting) and most of the big names were dead. But if the art was better, and layout was better and it didn't feel like it tossed every thing out, and focused on only a single alt cult and reserved the rest to source books could it had some legs. But that's not the question, what is the question is, from these two settings would you like to see in 2077.

Nothing... absolutely nothing.

The thing that made Cybergen good was it's premise. Of playing unjaded youths, who were actually fighting for a better world. Bringing the social and technological pressures to the forefront, while remaining a gritty game about the dark future.

Trying to save the local rec center or whatever from being torn down by a corporation while still anxiously waiting to legally be able to drive a car, and your biggest worry, even beyond the corrupt system, is whether that girl in second period likes you or not.

The super powers kinda screwed up any interest I had in running it, but it made for a decent equalizer and non-lethal solution while still maintaining action, so it worked well enough within the setting.

So unless CDPR is going to let us play adolescents, then nothing in Cybergen really matters.

As for V3. there is nothing in it that is actually cyberpunk. It;s a completely different game, and nothing in it fits with Cyberpunk 2020. Nor 2077, I hope. It put the franchise in a coma for 15 years. It is better left forgotten altogether.

So there is no looking at it from an unbiased view. Now I agree that V3 had a lot, a lot of stupid crap in it. Mostly system, plot, and layout related. But even in core Cyberpunk development in true nanomachines was making progress, and could in fact result in some of the things mentioned in either product. Now codeguns had a bit of eyerolling factor but lets look at what they did. Today we have drones, we are developing augmented reality, and as much as the old timers might grouse abouts
It, the game, tech and setting need to grow. I for one found cybergen's setting beleivable, yes the Carbon Plague did mutate creatures into synthetic organic hybrids, but the powers they gave were believable and I think as a group we should be willing to go over each product with open eyes and pull out the salvageable bits.

To make my point, how is the relatively primitive and proven Bioware nanotreatments such as muscle and bone lace, skinweave and grafted muscle hold more merit than a experimental self adapting nanomachine such as the Carbon Plague in cybergeneration, or the builder cores in V3.

For those who don't know, the Carbon Plague was developed in 2025 and acccidently relaesed into the open, while the bioware in Core Cyberpunk 2020 was developed around 2017-2020. The goofy super powers were Tinman: limbs of the infectee were replaced by nanomachines that could reshape them selves into various forms and form a protective shell around the indevidual. The Alchemist: posseses symbiotic assemblers and disassemblers that could manipulate matter on the molecular scale limited by the characters knowledge. Wizards: had parts of their nervous system rewired and expanded to operate like a cellular cyberdeck and could instinctively create software like entities to serve them in the net. Scanners are now able to detect ambient energey and can read peoples electrofield allowing them to function like a empathy, and at highlevels full on telepathy, they can also create a static field around the selves to deliver a nasty shock. The last in the Cybergen book is the bolted: their power is the ability to generate carbon cables with darts at the end delver a nasty shock, from metal melting to a little sap, also the bolts can change direction by stiffening and softening allowing to to got where the bolter needs it and it has a range of 100 meters. Those are the stupid powers you get, btw you only get one of the powers, and pretty much make it impossible to receive standard cybernetics.

I liked lots of Cybergeneration and felt it was pretty punk. The kids thing was a neat twist.

I liked some of V3 and felt it was not punk. Alt cults were cool and living cities were neat and the paper plague amused me.

but the powers they gave were believable and I think as a group we should be willing to go over each product with open eyes and pull out the salvageable bits.

No... htey really weren't.... Cybergen was a neat game, a neat setting, and without the powers it would have worked jsut fine... but the powers weren't believable by any stretch.

And while, as I said, V3 renamed anything else, would have been a fine game... it most certainly was not Cyberpunk. It was Naked Lunch meets Star Trek and they have a three-way with Thundarr the Barbarian. Which sounds groovy no matter how you slice it... until you try and call it Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom