Cyberpop 2077: Did we lose the punk?

+
After watching Night City Wire #4, specifically the "2077 in Style" segment, I was disappointed to see that not one of the 4 primary fashions they show looked typical of punk, or any alternative fashion for that matter. If you haven't seen it yet we have:

KITSCH: Looks like more colorful modern fashion that has more in common with Back to the Future Part II or some of the gaudier 90s fashion than it does with any alternative style. The small inclusion of a spiked bracelet or some studded implants doesn't really change that.

ENTROPISM: Clothes your mechanic uncle would wear.

NEOMILITARISM: This one isn't too bad. It looks like future fashion out of Mirror's Edge or Deus Ex and fits the corporate side of cyberpunk.

NEOKITSCH: This looks to be slightly more exaggerated versions of the dumb outfits celebrities wear to the red carpet nowadays.

So where's the punk? Do I get my leather jacket covered in pins? A denim jacket covered in studs and patches? My ripped jeans? Tartans? Collars? Excessive chains, buckles, and zippers? Boots? Can I wear them in all black? Or do Neomilitarist corpos have a monopoly on all-black outfits? So far I've seen an occasional mohawk in the trailers I think, heard rumors there are piercing options in the game, and I'm pretty sure there are tattoos (not sure how many options though). But I have very little confidence so far in being able to look fully punk in this game instead of some pop artist in bright neon pink and yellow with dyed hair.

And don't get me started on the music. Samurai is okay, I guess, but it feels very... measured. In a way I'm not sure I can explain. I have yet to hear what to me is the most identifiable sound of punk - the chaos of bands like the Germs, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc. And the amount of music that definitely isn't punk (or synthwave/electronic/dubstep/etc. for the "cyber" half of cyberpunk) is staggering. I feel like this game could've been a cool way to expose people to a real cyberpunk experience, but CDPR keep putting things in that allow for people to remain in their normal, pop-radio, GTA-vibes comfort zone without much engaging in cyberpunk beyond "I have another gun in my arm, bro". Anyone else feel this way?

I haven't seen every single video of the game so hopefully I'm wrong, but at the moment it feels more like Cyberpop 2077.

Last edited:
Not really. It would be pretty cliche (and make little sense) for fashion to remain the same since Cyberpunk 2020 to 2077. I mean, I've spotted plenty of studded jackets and the like that I would say look classically "punk" in various videos, but I think it would be naïve to assume the game should stick to the 70s/80s/90s "punk" aesthetic. It's a living, breathing lore. Times change, as does fashion. I'm perfectly happy with the styles shown, they look positively amazing.

I think you need to rewatch the trailers and other nc, there is punk everywhere you look.

Screenshot_20201018-083349.jpg

As. For the styles them self's.. Well the only one you kind of could reasonably make a complaint is maybe kitsch? Listen to the lore about the other styles.

Entropism - from when the world almost destroyed it self from corporate war. People use what they can with no regard for style.

Neomilitarism - is a cold corporate style based around function. Style and expression isn't the focus

Also, "punk" is more than black leather and studs. Its fine to want to see some more of it but it would be lame if everyone just dressed like a stereo typical 80's punk
Post automatically merged:

"punk" is an idea and expression, not necessarily just a music genre and black leather and studs. There is a reason punks style of the 80 was the way it was, because it was the way to express the idea of punk at the time

Last edited:
Not really. It would be pretty cliche (and make little sense) for fashion to remain the same since Cyberpunk 2020 to 2077. I mean, I've spotted plenty of studded jackets and the like that I would say look classically "punk" in various videos, but I think it would be naïve to assume the game should stick to the 70s/80s/90s "punk" aesthetic. It's a living, breathing lore. Times change, as does fashion. I'm perfectly happy with the styles shown, they look positively amazing.

All I'm saying is, future or not, if Johnny Silverhand can drive a car from the 1970s, I should be able to dress like a punk from the 1970s. A lot of punk and alternative fashion is has survived for 50+ years. There's no reason not to have it in the game.

It would suck if Sunset Overdrive ended up being a more punk game than a game that literally has punk in the title.

All I'm saying is, future or not, if Johnny Silverhand can drive a car from the 1970s, I should be able to dress like a punk from the 1970s. A lot of punk and alternative fashion is has survived for 50+ years. There's no reason not to have it in the game.

It would suck if Sunset Overdrive ended up being a more punk game than a game that literally has punk in the title.
I think your view of punk fashion paints a very narrow view of "punk" itself. Sunset Overdrive and Cyberpunk 2077 are two very different games. The cyberpunk genre itself is not defined by 80s punk aesthetics. There is as much reason not to have it in the game as there is to specifically have it in the game, but as others have pointed out, there are various examples of similar clothing already seen.

Interesting that no description of cyberpunk mentions a leather jacket covered in pins, A denim jacket covered in studs and patches, ripped jeans, Tartans, Collars, Excessive chains, buckles, and zippers,Boots, or all black clothing.

Like others have said, that may have been the peak expression of nihilism and counter culture in the 80’s, but it doesn’t mean that’s what the future will look like.

regardless, I’m sure you can still have that 100 year old retro look.

Attachments

• 6D8EE41E-22B0-4747-A56C-85E0E30659F3.png
    6D8EE41E-22B0-4747-A56C-85E0E30659F3.png
    307.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 646387EA-9AD7-426E-86A2-A02085940D9B.png
    646387EA-9AD7-426E-86A2-A02085940D9B.png
    361 KB · Views: 98
“It’s not just the philosophical attitude of the punk scene and it’s not just the music,” Pondsmith said. “Everything about punk inspired Cyberpunk originally. There is an inherent type of personal rebellion that is so specific to punk, and that’s what inspired me most.”

It is this "personal rebellion" that is foremost what I think and will judge "the punk" in Cyberpunk 2077 on, and as to whether this is felt throughout V's story remains to be seen, but my Eddies are on the answer that this will be a strong "YES! THIS IS CAF!" (Cyberpunk As Fuck)

Source

“It’s not just the philosophical attitude of the punk scene and it’s not just the music,” Pondsmith said. “Everything about punk inspired Cyberpunk originally. There is an inherent type of personal rebellion that is so specific to punk, and that’s what inspired me most.”

It is this "personal rebellion" that is foremost what I think and will judge "the punk" in Cyberpunk 2077 on, and as to whether this is felt throughout V's story remains to be seen, but my Eddies are on the answer that this will be a strong "YES! THIS IS CAF!" (Cyberpunk As Fuck)

Source

Mike pondsmith is awesome.

9sjdgg90l3751.jpg

Nope hasn't lost anything, it's just not everywhere in every screenshot. What they have shown is such a small taste but just as we in 2020 rarely see anyone who still dresses like a 70s punk, in 2077 that way of fashion will also only be worn by a few but many will be in one of the 4 styles presented, because that is the style that the masses will have access to. And as someone mentioned.

Its not called CyberPUNK. Its not a game about Punk style of clothes and look, its about what the Punks were about in the 70s and 80s...down with the man and those in power, we are going to do what we want, listen to what we want and wear what we want even if it is totally off from everyone else.
Fashion and style moves on, changes and evolves ..incorporates others and is reused in parts.

I sort of agree. I don't see a style that is trying to convey a message across, I don't see a style that is intended to set you apart from others. I basically see just two styles:

Style that cares about how you look and tries to appear as "stylish"
KITSCH (poor version) <-> NEO-KITSCH (rich version)

You don't care about style as much as you care about utility
ENTROPISM (poor version) <-> NEO-MILITARISM (rich version)

"Kitsch" is the style punk of 2000s in Cyberpunk world, still continue & evolve throughout the years until "4th corporate war." After that, the working class had to survive the hard life & goes with "Entropism" style. So it could be said both Kitsch & Entropism are the old punk styles itself. That's why you could see some gangs like 6th street, Tyger Claws, Moxes & nomad gangs like Aldecaldos & Wraiths has that punk style a lot more clear with the spikey stuffs & leather/plastic textures in outfits.
"Punk" in Cyberpunk is more than styles imo. It could be also the way of life & philosophy. The likes of anti-authoritarianism, anti-consumerism, anti-corporatism, etc. The very fact of mercs/solos in Afterlife having this tradition & goals to become "NC legends" even though you are likely ended up dead pretty young is pretty much very "PUNK" to me.

"luckily matters not where you from, matters not where you start! What MATTERS here is the WALK you walk" - narration in 2077 in Style trailer.

I love that punk is ultimately a subversion or outright rejection of rigid norms, and here we are wondering if this game isn't punk enough because the high level description of the 4 style themes don't follow a rigid & narrow norm

punk is dead, long live punk
Couldn't have said it better myself.

If anything we need more cybermetal and less punk! :p

Some of the scenes shown in the trailers oddly remind me of the 'Sixth element', with a more clownish and excessive flair than punk. I would have preferred a darker industrial tone. Same for the music. I always associated cyberpunk with the dark industrial, post punk music scene: Susie and the Banshees, Joy Division, The Cure, Bauhaus and other rock bands with more decidedly metal influences like the Queensryche, Sister of Mercy, Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Ramstein.

Top Bottom