Cyberpsychosis and you: how should it be implemented?

+
The most impoortant thing about the humanity loss is that it is a random number ranging between number of dice and number of dice x type of dice. I think to remember having seen some cyber kit loosing you as much as 4xD10...but don't remember what it was. And the nice thing is, the game does not need to show the loss range of any product. Any reliable wiki on that would have to come from hackers or from the makers themselves.
Add to that the little idea of never showing your humanity or EMP and the fact that many of the most costly implants are useless cosmetics...if it is not indicated in the shopwindow or advertizement, who would have thought how psycho you can go from that glow-in-the-dark tattoo?

Like I've said before, that's just senseless. Nobody ever went insane from a dyejob. Purely-cosmetic implants like glowtats and colorshifting hair shouldn't have a Humanity cost.

I guess that a mechanic to hit Cyberpsychosis could be based on your EMP attribute as in Cyberpunk 2020, provided the Char Generation system will be same. Once you get too low on your Humanity, which is EMPx10, you risk to enter Cyberpsychosis. Each little piece of hardware or software eat your Humanity dragging you closer and closer to the limit. In the end it is up to you. In the game it could be implemented in several ways. As it was suggested it could be a simple limitation of choices in dialogues or else. Ideally, when your char reach Cyberpsychosis you should have as Player a different perception of the GameWorld. Your char is not "Insane" he or she doesn't belive that. Your char simply see and feel the World in a different way. Too bad the others around him or her are so fragile.

Like I've said before, that's just senseless. Nobody ever went insane from a dyejob. Purely-cosmetic implants like glowtats and colorshifting hair shouldn't have a Humanity cost.

They should. It is not just dyeing your natural hair. You are augmenting your body in a way that makes it look less human. A concealed shotgun in your arm you don't see when you look into the mirror, your neighbors don't see it and thus it won't affect how they react to you....but show yourself as a walking graffiti wall and it will affect how you see yourself, how people around you react to you...it does affect your sense of your own humanity a lot more than an invisible implant...invisibles only affect your thinking when you need and use them, when the situation makes you aware of their existence. visible augs, including purely cosmetic ones, are in your face, 24/7

They should. It is not just dyeing your natural hair. You are augmenting your body in a way that makes it look less human. A concealed shotgun in your arm you don't see when you look into the mirror, your neighbors don't see it and thus it won't affect how they react to you....but show yourself as a walking graffiti wall and it will affect how you see yourself, how people around you react to you...it does affect your sense of your own humanity a lot more than an invisible implant...invisibles only affect your thinking when you need and use them, when the situation makes you aware of their existence. visible augs, including purely cosmetic ones, are in your face, 24/7

Again, like I've said before, who's more likely to go insane and think they are the invincible steel-boned superman - the guy getting the chaingun plugged into his forearm, or the girl getting a neon tattoo of her boyfriend's name?

Don't limit Cy-Psy to a god-complex. Cy-Psy can happen through any form of detachment from one's humanity. Turn yourself into an exotic without actual practical value, just for the looks and how long before you actually believe you are are a dragon lizard and not bound to human morals?

Again, like I've said before, who's more likely to go insane and think they are the invincible steel-boned superman - the guy getting the chaingun plugged into his forearm, or the girl getting a neon tattoo of her boyfriend's name?

Do you have tattoos? Furthermore, do you have neon tattoos? :cool:

Such things don't have a high humanity cost, but they do have some. They do affect your psyche, even in real life. Have you ever heard of the saying "once you get a tattoo you'll have to get more?"

Still, the idea that someone who's stuffed to the seams with blades and guns and sensors would only need something inane like color-changing hair or a cigarette-lighter in their thumb to make the leap to dementia and a murder-spree is in itself insane. It's like those scenes in cartoons where a character can carry a safe, a truck, a ten-ton weight, an aircraft-carrier, and a pile of bricks without difficuly, but then a feather from a passing bird lands on the stack and the character suddenly crashes through the floor. It is nothing short of absurd.

The issue is, being aware of the augmentation. That is what eats your humanity, that drives you insane. Each piece of augmentation has a different efect on different individuals, each individual has a different amount of humanity to start with. After you have become the god of death but still can realize that you still are a human being with human values and human memories and human relationships ONLY because your elderly lady greets you politely and brings self baked bread over every Sunday ONLY because there still is a human looking back at you in the mirror. Give that human something that has no power upgrades, no practical effect but makes you look less human, that slaps you in the face that that Thing you have become can no longer be considered even aesthetically as a human being....that is enough to get you from borderline to off the edge.

Still, the idea that someone who's stuffed to the seams with blades and guns and sensors would only need something inane like color-changing hair or a cigarette-lighter in their thumb to make the leap to dementia and a murder-spree is in itself insane. It's like those scenes in cartoons where a character can carry a safe, a truck, a ten-ton weight, an aircraft-carrier, and a pile of bricks without difficuly, but then a feather from a passing bird lands on the stack and the character suddenly crashes through the floor. It is nothing short of absurd.

Well... If you've got a cup filled to the brim with water, does it take more than a single drop for the water to spill over?

That small piece of skin you see may remind you that you once were human. Cover it with a tattoo, and kiss your ass goodbye. The thing is though, assuming you had at least a decent EMP to begin with, once you're approaching EMP 0, you'll have so much cyberware on you, there most likely won't be a piece of flesh to put a tattoo on. :cool:

The issue is, being aware of the augmentation. That is what eats your humanity, that drives you insane. Each piece of augmentation has a different efect on different individuals, each individual has a different amount of humanity to start with. After you have become the god of death but still can realize that you still are a human being with human values and human memories and human relationships ONLY because your elderly lady greets you politely and brings self baked bread over every Sunday ONLY because there still is a human looking back at you in the mirror. Give that human something that has no power upgrades, no practical effect but makes you look less human, that slaps you in the face that that Thing you have become can no longer be considered even aesthetically as a human being....that is enough to get you from borderline to off the edge.

It still doesn't make sense to me how a TV in one's arm can be more of a blow to one's humanity than a wrist-mounted submachinegun, just because of some wonky dicerolls.

Well... If you've got a cup filled to the brim with water, does it take more than a single drop for the water to spill over?

That small piece of skin you see may remind you that you once were human. Cover it with a tattoo, and kiss your ass goodbye. The thing is though, assuming you had at least a decent EMP to begin with, once you're approaching EMP 0, you'll have so much cyberware on you, there most likely won't be a piece of flesh to put a tattoo on. :cool:

Now i'm picturing a chromed-up gangmember getting a mini-flashlight stuck in his finger, and going total batshit as the last screw gets tightened.

I vote on the girl once she breaks up with said boyfriend

I vote on the girl once she breaks up with said boyfriend

or sees him with some skank of a whore who, unlike the girl, did not replace her juicing and moody meat that has her bitching and unavailable five days every month for a durable and always ready plughole that never will give her cramps or migraine.

And she did it all just for him. She didn't want the surgery but even more she didn't want to be a moody and difficult girlfriend for him, and he did say he never intended on ever having kids and that he loved her no matter what...and now he is screwing that bitch and telling me that I don't feel down there like a real woman, that I am cold and impassionate and suddenly he wants stinking and whining kids...and I did it all for him...that mother-f***ng bastard and his ho can go to hell, they all can go to hell...all men and meat pussies deserve to DIE.....

Mmm... I think that *some* of the implants should have a small humanity cost, if they have to interact with your nervous system somehow.

Otherwise, yeah; I don't see it as being any different than subdermal implants that you see in the body modification culture.

Base book has minimal to no cost for cosmetic cyber.

Cyber Psychosis isn't just "person on edge losing it" - it's an extreme example of the mental illness that in 2020 is colloquially termed "technoshock'. technoshock comprises a variety of symptoms and conditions, such as an inability to focus, a sense of detachment from the world and your actions, claustrophobia, evena fugue state. Technoshock can also manifest in manic symptoms, extroversion, an unhealthy need for attention and so on.

It's what happens when the human mind looks around and realises it can't keep up anymore. Sometimes it shuts down. Sometimes it tries to grab space for itself. Sometimes it rejects humanity and all you fleshies.

Base book has minimal to no cost for cosmetic cyber.

Cyber Psychosis isn't just "person on edge losing it" - it's an extreme example of the mental illness that in 2020 is colloquially termed "technoshock'. technoshock comprises a variety of symptoms and conditions, such as an inability to focus, a sense of detachment from the world and your actions, claustrophobia, evena fugue state. Technoshock can also manifest in manic symptoms, extroversion, an unhealthy need for attention and so on.

It's what happens when the human mind looks around and realises it can't keep up anymore. Sometimes it shuts down. Sometimes it tries to grab space for itself. Sometimes it rejects humanity and all you fleshies.

That's an awesome way to describe it.

Unless you watch My Little Pony while ON drugs. then your Empathy rating kinda does an integer-rollover thing and you love freaking everybody.

A nightmarish thought just crept into my brain from some vile, dark place...

Bronies in a Cyberpunk 2020 setting. Brony FBC's... I think I'm going to be sick.

This reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness Campaign my friend ran in High School.

We all took characters from The 100 Acre Woods, and turned them into mutants.

Yeah, Tigger made an awesome ninja.

Cyber Psychosis as Suicide by Cop:
http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2009/06/sci-brief.aspx

The interpersonal-psychological theory of suicidal behavior (Joiner, 2005) proposes that an individual will not die by suicide unless s/he has both the desire to die by suicide and the ability to do so. What is the desire for suicide, and what are its constituent parts? What is the ability to die by suicide and in whom and how does it develop?

In answer to the first question of who desires suicide, the theory asserts that when people hold two specific psychological states in their minds simultaneously, and when they do so for long enough, they develop the desire for death. The two psychological states are perceived burdensomeness and a sense of low belongingness or social alienation. In answer to the second question regarding capability for suicide, self-preservation is a powerful enough instinct that few can overcome it by force of will. The few who can have developed a fearlessness of pain, injury, and death, which, according to the theory, they acquire through a process of repeatedly experiencing painful and otherwise provocative events. These experiences often include previous self-injury, but can also include other experiences, such as repeated accidental injuries; numerous physical fights; and occupations like physician and front-line soldier in which exposure to pain and injury, either directly or vicariously, is common.

There was a supplement book from Ianus called Grimm's CyberTales I think it was called. Had an interesting system of humanity loss breaking into different areas like alienation or manic behavior. It also gave some good examples as well. Wish I spent the money for that book back in the day.

Top Bottom