Cyberpsychosis

+
I've noticed lately a lot of people seem really interested in this game adding a cyberpsychosis mechanic. And I'm curious as to why and how it would work?

It seems like people think this would really add to the immersion or make the game more fun, but I don't get it. Cyberware slots are already limited so you can't just mix and match and overload on it, And since cyberpsychosis usually ends the same way with death, going fully cyberpsycho would lead to a game over basically, so most people would just avoid it. Which means as far as I can tell It's just a limit on top of a limit that already exists.

So I guess my question is, If YOU were designing a cyberpsychosis mechanic for the game how would you make it fun? How would it be more than just a limit in addition to the limit already in place? Would you make it only part of a hardcore mode or implement it into everything? and while we're on the topic if you could implement/design one key feature to the game what would it be?

I've noticed lately a lot of people seem really interested in this game adding a cyberpsychosis mechanic. And I'm curious as to why and how it would work?

It seems like people think this would really add to the immersion or make the game more fun, but I don't get it. Cyberware slots are already limited so you can't just mix and match and overload on it, And since cyberpsychosis usually ends the same way with death, going fully cyberpsycho would lead to a game over basically, so most people would just avoid it. Which means as far as I can tell It's just a limit on top of a limit that already exists.

So I guess my question is, If YOU were designing a cyberpsychosis mechanic for the game how would you make it fun? How would it be more than just a limit in addition to the limit already in place? Would you make it only part of a hardcore mode or implement it into everything? and while we're on the topic if you could implement/design one key feature to the game what would it be?

For the record, I'm not bothered if its in the game or not.

This is how I would implement it

Every piece of cyberware is given a cyberpsychosis value, the better the cyberware, the higher the number. Add up the cyberware you are wearing to produce a psychosis chance (PC)

When PC goes above a certain threashold, you start rolling in tense situations to see if you go psycho or not. How long you go psycho depends on how high your PC is.

Going psycho – you lose control of your character, the AI plays them for a bit, length of time determined by PC, when you recover, everything might be great, you shot the bad guy, Maybe kill a guy you intended just to go unconscious or more, maybe start shooting innocents. If innocents are killed cops will be alerted and they send that drone thing

If the drone alerts cops then you're gonna get maxtech who proceed to kill you.. bloody gunfight, whatever, but at the end you are dead, reload last save

Without thinking that it must be added, I like the idea too :)
At first, it need to be optional or added by a specific level of difficulty (no need to force anyone, if those who play in easy, would probably won't be interested)

And also pretty much as @cartlidge^^
With some limitations/imperatives :
  • The "AI" which take character control have to be quite smart and use the full character weapons/abilities. To avoid dying stupidly if players don't have control during a fight...
  • Crisis could happen only in areas where players are allowed to use weapons. So while wandering on street but during quests too. For example, during "I walk The Line", in which you have to infiltrate (stealthly) the GIM, a crisis can happen which lead to a big fight with Animals without any player control. Or if you are in a quest in which you have to avoid killing enemies, a crisis could lead to fail the objective (which is optional, generally).

So in short, with my current character, who installed all the cyberwares available, in the higher versions allowed by attributes, it could be risky (and fun).

I saw a suggestion in another thread, that was something like, it would mess with the colors on screen and show images that weren't real. It would make civilian NPCs look like enemies. And I didn't dislike that idea, tricking the player without taking away control.

I think I like the high-risk high reward factor of it, maybe something like the more you use Sandevistan in a short period of time the higher the risk of an episode or allowing the use Cyberware that's on cooldown, but it would increase the risk of going psycho. Maybe killing incapacitated enemies or enemies that surrender could alter your mental state. There are ways I can see it going I'm just unsure of the fun factor of it.

I'm not totally against some sort of mechanic for it, I just worry it would add a limit that makes the game harder but doesn't add anything fun or interesting, I'm not a fan of difficulty just for difficulty's sake, like hard is good as long as it's fun and fair. Granted if it's optional then go for it, let people play how they like make it super unfair, harder than a soul's game if that's what people want.

It's a feature that should have been there, to be sure

I feel like the irony is that the anime makes it a huge part of the game when CDPR bends over backwards to state cyberpsyhcosis doesn't exist. All the cyberpsychos have legitimate reasons to go nuts.

Speaking as a long term Cyberpunk 2020 player, it's also funny because generally people in the tabletop game HATED the cyberpsychosis mechanic and thought it was an awful idea for decades.

I feel like the irony is that the anime makes it a huge part of the game when CDPR bends over backwards to state cyberpsyhcosis doesn't exist. All the cyberpsychos have legitimate reasons to go nuts.

Speaking as a long term Cyberpunk 2020 player, it's also funny because generally people in the tabletop game HATED the cyberpsychosis mechanic and thought it was an awful idea for decades.
Perhaps the next CP game ought to take cues from the show (in that regard anyway)

Last edited:
I'm not totally against some sort of mechanic for it, I just worry it would add a limit that makes the game harder but doesn't add anything fun or interesting, I'm not a fan of difficulty just for difficulty's sake, like hard is good as long as it's fun and fair. Granted if it's optional then go for it, let people play how they like make it super unfair, harder than a soul's game if that's what people want.
This. I don't need that mechanic to be in game, but it could potentially be fun (and one more reason to replay the game with/without using it).

And since I'm one of those "easy players" who mostly just like to walk around watching landscapes and focusing the story, I would like it to be optional. So you could choose if you want to use it or not, like the optional choice between stealth / non stealth / something between approach

Nope. I hate every mechanic that takes away my ability to play the game (unless its some story cutscene).

Eh, I like that cyberpsychosis is the "mental illness" of spree killings. It's bullshit and those who are neuroatypical know it's a dodge on social issues and radicalization.
I find really cool and interesting that the show's main character has cyberpsychosis, and throughout the entire story once he develops it, too bad it wasn't so in the game. If only there was a way to include it in a manner that didn't hinder the player's freedom...

I don't think CDPR is saying that cyberpschosis doesn't exist. It's the world that it is saying it doesn't. Why do you think Regina wants you to not kill them?

I don't think CDPR is saying that cyberpschosis doesn't exist. It's the world that it is saying it doesn't. Why do you think Regina wants you to not kill them?

I mean, Regina is looking for a cure but the Shards spell out the people aren't killing people because of chrome.

* There's guy who is desperate for drugs and kills his dealers
* There's the woman who gets bad implants and Militech tries to kill her it up
* There's the guy who only kills a bunch of Tyger Claws because they kidnapped his daughter
* The one genuinely crazy woman brainwashed by her cybernetics to think she's a soap opera character
* The woman possessed by the Devil (!!)

Not too much of this is because of their chrome driving them nuts.

I mean, Regina is looking for a cure but the Shards spell out the people aren't killing people because of chrome.

* There's guy who is desperate for drugs and kills his dealers
* There's the woman who gets bad implants and Militech tries to kill her it up
* There's the guy who only kills a bunch of Tyger Claws because they kidnapped his daughter
* The one genuinely crazy woman brainwashed by her cybernetics to think she's a soap opera character
* The woman possessed by the Devil (!!)

Not too much of this is because of their chrome driving them nuts.
Some are "totally" insane (the maelstomer girl for example and chrome doesn't help for sure^^).
But it's really because of chrome ?
Maybe, maybe not, maybe sometimes...
In CP77, it's uncertain and matter to debate. Unlike in the series, in which it's presented as something that will happen no matter what if someone install too much chrome, something unavoidable (like in the TTG I think).
For example, for the Max-Tac, does it really matter whether it's a cyberpsycho or something else. In the end, the result is the same.

In call of cthulhu, when you go insane you lose your character, why would it be different in CP2077. You go nuts, you go on a reckless killing spree, you don't get to use cover or to choose.

I think after a couple of times it would get very samey and ultimately the only punishment meted out is a reload.

Additionally, any time you lose control of your character isn't great game design. Lack of player agency is a thing.

It's also kind of a pointless thing because the game is set over a short period of time before your character dies or is close to dying.
after watching edgerunners it occured to me that because 'v' was dying, there would be more than enough reason to chrome the hell up whatever reservations they may have had about it before johnny

after watching edgerunners it occured to me that because 'v' was dying, there would be more than enough reason to chrome the hell up whatever reservations they may have had about it before johnny

Oddly, I had a similar idea in reverse. Because V's DNA is being rewritten and killing him due to the incompatibility, effectively cancer, my V was getting heavily chromed up because it helped forestall his horrific death.

It's just he can't replace his brain so its a stop gap solution.

Top Bottom