Cyberpunk 2020 Daily Facts Conversation Thread!

+
Really digging how the food topic has brought out a depth of discussion that no other topic in the countdown has. Here and in other locations. Really shows how food is central to the human experience.

:p Or how absolutely borked we all are in the head.

A: "We now have numerous entries for Cyberpunk: key characters, history of the great wars, various Night City regions, Trauma Team, the black market, inside glances at the megacorps--- "

B: " ---Have you seen this section on tofu!? It's amazing!!!"

Seems the 48 minute video already gives a hint about what food does in-game (the 11:33 mark, specifically). A small amount of health over time doesn't strike me as particularly inspired. Assuming Nicola is a caffeinated drink, I would think a small boost to reflex, or something having to do with increased alertness would be more appropriate.

I'm not at all fond of health boosts, restoration, whatever that have crept into games from eating.
It really should be an energy decrease if you got to long without eating.

Now a slight energy increase, not as substantial as an actual stat boost, maybe a temporary +1 to perception due to increased awareness, I could go for.

The other thing I REALLY hate is turning virtually very game into a survival simulator. For most games I think we can assume the characters eat, sleep, and go to the restroom without the player needing to hold their hands.

How is it that Europe with it's larger population and less room for agriculture manages to feed everyone when the US and Canada can't? Explain this to me please.

You may may have noticed that 45 degrees latitude, the center of the US/Canadian grain belt runs thru southern France and is also the center of Europe's agricultural belt.

Last edited:
How is it that Europe with it's larger population and less room for agriculture manages to feed everyone when the US and Canada can't? Explain this to me please.

Dunno about the future, but right now the Europeans are super efficient at space and resource usage. I was very impressed with their recycling, their energy conservation (wide spread use of things like heated drying racks instead of dryers, lobbies and hallways have timed auto-off switches, cars are of course much fewer in proportion to public transit usage.) and general efficiency. Their natural resource conservation is also very good.

If the US got hit hard by the Collapse, which it did, I can see the infrastructure being crippled a fair bit. Especially if you turned so much of that arable land to CHOOH2 crop production. Oh and security would be a massive issue as well, unlike Europe in 2020.

I have no issues with the idea that some sort of ecological disaster, plus the transportation issues, dramatically effected US/Canadian food production, but if it's based on a global warming scenario Canada has LOTS of currently unusable land that will become a new breadbasket.

My problem is that any climate change scenario would effect Europe and Russia every bit as much as it effects the Americas. And unlike the vast plains of northern Canada northern Europe is mountains and fjords, very little agricultural land. I don't care how efficient you are with the loss of the agricultural regions of France, Spain, northern Italy, and Romania Europe is in trouble. There just plain isn't enough arable land in northern Europe to replace the lost land in the south.

I'm not at all fond of health boosts, restoration, whatever that have crept into games from eating.
It really should be an energy decrease if you got to long without eating.

Now a slight energy increase, not as substantial as an actual stat boost, maybe a temporary +1 to perception due to increased awareness, I could go for.

The other thing I REALLY hate is turning virtually very game into a survival simulator. For most games I think we can assume the characters eat, sleep, and go to the restroom without the player needing to hold their hands.

My personal favorite food implementation was Realistic Needs and Diseases for Skyrim. Granted, it was a bit over the top, imo (suffering from an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach), but the functionality was great.

Eating foods gave specific, long-lasting benefits that were catered toward different playstyles. Starving created cumulative penalties as you went through the stages. Over-eating also carried negatives, so you couldn't abuse the system. It was fun needing to consider what types of foods and how much to bring on a quest and needing to deal with what could be foraged on the road.

The downsides were that, at default settings, you spent at least 50% of your game-time gathering, making, and eating food / being sleepy and having nowhere to sleep / or getting sick because you stepped in a puddle. I tweaked it so that I only needed to eat once per in-game day, so around once every real-time hour (instead of once every 7-8 minutes), I only suffered penalties, not death, from starvation, and diseases could only be contracted from combat. That both kept the game moving and brought a lot of the lesser-used mechanics, like disease resistance / curative magic / alchemy into the light. (Found myself spending significant sums of money at the beginning on cure disease potions. :p)

Yeah, the Laser-niner is a nice gun.

My friend ( and first and best Cpunk Ref) Jack and I thought it was based on the weapon on the cover of Vickers, a great Cyberpunk story by Mick Farren.

What...??? I was just about to go into the benefits of non-synthetic broccoli...

(I'm kidding.)

Are there telescopic spears in Cyberpunk? Something like a collapseable police baton, but large enough to be used like a staff. Give it a hard twist, and a nice, tungsten blade extends from one end. I want one'a those.

While the military has played around with full auto shotguns they've never officially adopted one. Why you ask? Because they're pretty useless. Shot-shells already cover an area and multiple coverage really doesn't matter, then there's the "little" problem of the volume and mass of shotgun ammo. Rarely does the military assign an ammo truck to an individual.

But hey, they look and sound so kool in games!

But hey, they look and sound so kool in games!

Don't be so denigrating. That is a factor and an important one. They -do- look and sound cool in games.

As for real-life fielding full auto shotguns, it's less the shotgun and more the "full auto" effect that isn't very useful. Semiautomatic shotguns are used by multiple military branches.

Nothing to do with an ammo truck, I think. Just that the full-auto adds little to what a shotgun is used for by military forces. Plus price.

The AA-12 boasts some interesting values, but the seller claims the US Gov doesn't like it because of "politics". The link is out there if you are interested.

The Saiga-12 does see some use with police and military forces.

At RoF roughly 200 rpm, the Assault 12 is practically a semi-automatic.

Are there telescopic spears in Cyberpunk? Something like a collapseable police baton, but large enough to be used like a staff. Give it a hard twist, and a nice, tungsten blade extends from one end. I want one'a those.

Nooo...not specifically...there are multiple spears of course, and rules for them in combat in Pacific Rim. You could have something like that built.

A semi-auto is fine, we used the venerable 870. Mostly because it's what we had, but also for a psychological reason ... there's nothing like the sound of an 870 loading a round into the chamber to get your attention :eek:

I seem to recall the inventors of MetalStorm and DragonSkin claiming politics as well. The fact that both systems had, and have, other issues (bulk, reloading & how often do you need THAT much firepower, and cold weather respectively) is apparently irrelevant.

But you're 100% correct ... for games the Kool factor can't be ignored.

Last edited:
......... oooooor you can stamp an "epic/legendary" label on the guns described in this topic and turn them into very good ones! And what about levels? Those make the difference in weapons! :facepalm:

Ok, having a quest for "Malorian Arms 3516" would be soooo awesome. We get some backstory on Johnny Silverhand, and at the end get his famous gun. I think that would be an amazing quest.

Top Bottom