Cyberpunk 2020 Play by Post Databook- Title Subject to Change

+
Cyberpunk 2020 Play by Post Databook- Title Subject to Change

Well, it's (very) early Christmas Morning 2015 and obviously I'm quite tired. Apparently three kids, even when they are teens to adults, means a lot of wrapping! So, since my decision-making matrix is so impaired, I thought I would start the groundwork for an actual Play-by-Post ( PbP) 2020 game!

DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY THE SIZE OF THIS POST. Stupid (**$$&@ forum won't let me break it up. Just read the first couple bits to start - the rest is for the expert players and harder-core role-players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting: Night City (and environs) 20??. Find a lightweight reference guide here or buy the much more in-depth, excellent sourcebook in PDF here.

Players: Anyone who posts! Note: those organized into Teams will see more action from GM(s).

GM: Sardukhar, "others".

Character Roles Permitted:
All Corebook Roles. Cop, Corporate, Fixer, MedTech, Netrunner, Nomad, Solo, Rockerboy, Techie. You can mix and match!

There is a quickie description of CP2020 ( and presumably 2077) Roles here.

In-game slang: Here!

We're using a combination of the CP2020 Rules and Modified Interlock Unlimited. Get the Interlock Unlimited - Core Rules 7-7-14.

Gear! : Ultrachrome. Most things that say CP2020, Chr1 to 4, PS and SoF 1 and 2 are cool to use.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Okay, so here's what you Need To Know, Chombattas:

It's Night City, 2020. You are playing a denizen of the City or a recent arrival, depending on your Streetwise and Expert: Night City levels.
Your character can be anything from a few lines of descriptive text to a fully-statted out character sheet. Rules on character build limits and costs, as well as PbP rules changes, to follow.

You play by typing in your characters viewpoint and actions, as well as perhaps the setting. Other people respond to that, as well as to whatever the GM is doing to them and you. Thusly:

Player 1 Posts:

Michaels ducked into the alley, breath heaving in his throat. He patted the sealed pocket in his Gibsonwear jacket to reassure himself the dataspike was still there, then glanced over his shoulder. No one following him. A dozen passers-by glanced incuriously at him as they walked or rolled past. Rain shimmered in the streetlights. Michaels moved deeper into the alley, headed for the Forlorn Hope, to meet his Fixer and make the drop.

GM Posts:

"Michaels moved deeper into the alley, headed for the Forlorn Hope, to meet his Fixer and make the drop." As Michaels walks away from the street, he fails to see the Whisperdrone hovering thirty feet above and behind. It follows him from above, nearly silent on micro-AV thrusters, a certain Corporate logo gleaming on it's side.

Player 2 Posts:

Irene "Siren" Hamstead likes serving pancakes from her truck. Seeing the smiles on her customers faces is nearly all the reward she needs. She's been working the outskirts beside the Combat Zone border for six months now and only had to stand off three hold-ups, pretty much half-hearted affairs each time. She didn't even have to kill anyone. The money is crap, but she never goes home feeling dead inside, which beats hell out of when she worked for IE's Division Ten.

Now at this time, the GM makes some skill checks, or the Players spend from their skill/stat pools, ( more on that in a bit) and a few things can happen. Maybe Michaels sees the Drone. Maybe Irene does. Maybe Irene sees Michaels and remembers him from an old op. Maybe none of that happens and instead, an Arasaka black ops team tries to grab an unrelated third party in front of them, things get messy and everything goes sideways.

And then some more people post, keeping in mind what's going on and what they'd like to do. They can also post completely different stories, different parts of the City, etc. Freedom! With a few caveats.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ruleset: Modified Interlock Unlimited. Get the 7 7 14 rules.
Well, since IU is very modular, it'll be mostly IU with adjustments for PbP game. Get the Core Rules. Mike Pondsmith approved the lot, so stop lawyer-twitching or whatever that was.

New Rules:

So, dice mechanics.

For Live Stuff, like Combat, we're going to go live at https://rolz.org/dr?room=Cpunk2020 Keep to this, as the room logs. Dice rolling is simple: use the text window at the bottom and type in #1d10. Voila. Don't worry, a GM will be around to help for the first while.

For those building said sheets, you have 60 points to spend on stats, initially.

Anyone coming up with a cool background story or pic earns 5 to 10 extra stat points.

Fillable Online Character sheets here: http://cyberpunk.thegentlemanloser.com/cpunk101/cpgames/cprpg/cp2020/cp2020charsheet.pdf OPEN IN ADOBE or a more elaborate one here:http://www.silicon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mieow/Cyberpunk/CP2020v5_4.zip

Current Rule changes are

1. Cyberware is half empathy cost at character creation, ( you've adapted to it).

2. Budget/Occupation Salaries are -doubled-. Everyone has been paid for three months.

3. Skills and Roles and Special Abilties from the Corebook, found on your character sheet.

4. No primary Special Ability higher than 5 without a really solid reason.

5. You can pull Martial Arts from here. You may not typically take An Ch'I, Pentjak Silat, Kalari, Lee Kwan Choo, Krabi Krabong, Sinanju, Taido, Tien-Hsueh Touch, T'ang Su, Ninjutsu, Jattenhand, Panzerfaust or Kun, Zanji Shinjiken Ryu or Gun Fu.

6. IP multipliers will probably be only none or 1.5 . If the usual cost is 2-3, it's none. 4-5, it's 1.5.

7. Exciting change: we will be doing stat increase/decreases. Stay tuned for costs and conditions.

8. All drug costs in eb are 1/10th. No, that's not a typo. Smash now costs 10eb per 6 pack, Synthcoke is 100 b per dose.

9. We aren't using the IU Combat Actions - mostly, in fact, we're using the Corebook/FNFF combat system and damage rules. 8 points to the head (or other vitals) is not an autokill, though, just a Mortal 0 check.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We'll update and modify these Rules as we play. For now, don't worry too much about them.

So, first, from everyone and anyone interested in playing, I want a Character Idea - and then a Sheet. Post it here. PM me any Secret Stuff you don't want seen.
The Char Sheet can be no more than a name with a few lines of description, a description and a picture, or a full CP2020 character sheet.

Try to be brief per post - NO FULL PAGE ESSAYS PLEASE. I'm looking at you, Cal. And Dec. Short, sharp paragraphs.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

Kaebus2196

I'm very interested, though I don't know that I will be able to participate for a few months (will be on vacation). I assume this will be turned into a forum group and the posts will be done there rather than through the primary forum threads?

I'm very interested, though I don't know that I will be able to participate for a few months (will be on vacation). I assume this will be turned into a forum group and the posts will be done there rather than through the primary forum threads?

We'll see. Probably make it a Forum Thread, actually.

are any of the IU optional rules in play? the only set I'm all that partial to is benefits/penalties, but I'll ask about the whole lot before you get an inbox full of psionic/meta/arcane using submissions ;)

also, is it safe to assume that if we're rolling IU then the gear from the site is fair game as well?

are any of the IU optional rules in play? the only set I'm all that partial to is benefits/penalties,

Benefits/pen are fine. We're not using all the rules or gear, no. Init rules are a bit slow, for example. I'll list what parts of IU we are dumping in a bit, but the idea is to keep the cool bits like multi Roles and Ben/pen, dump the more complicated stuff like the extra skill list, Roles, init, cetc. Maybe phase it in later.

I need to double check the site, but the gear limit follows mostly the too-good-to-be-true rule. Off the top of my head, only the hilariously idiotic Hornet? Rnds from Rough Guide are out.

Just don't go too insane, you know the drill. I'm mostly concerned with PCs horribly outclassing other, similar PCs. The better you are at your Roles, the longer you last. Mostly.

Kaebus2196

Should make for an interesting thread.

I'm only concerned about it spamming the recent activity section on the home page once people start getting really into it.

But, I am happy to announce myself as your first Netrunner on board, but I won't be coming in for a couple months like I said. My apologies, military training and all that.

I'm only concerned about it spamming the recent activity section on the home page once people start getting really into it.

But, I am happy to announce myself as your first Netrunner on board, but I won't be coming in for a couple months like I said. My apologies, military training and all that.

I'd be willing to bet most of those playing fully understand prior commitments, particularly military ones, are something you work around as best you can and I assure you apologies are not needed.

I'd be willing to bet most of those playing fully understand prior commitments, particularly military ones, are something you work around as best you can and I assure you apologies are not needed.

What she said. Your post about spamming is a good point, Razor, and something to think about. Hrm.

Character sheet

Street name: The Fang
Class: Fixer
Style: Business wear, long shaggy hair, mirror shades

Stats:
Intelligence: 9
Reflexes: 9/8
Cool: 10
Technical Ability: 8
Luck: 4
Attractiveness: 8
Movement Allowance: 5
Empathy: 8/6
Body Type: 6

Humanity: 80/63.8
Save: 6/10
Body Type Modifier: -3/-4
Run: 15
Leap: 3
Lift: 60kg/100kg
Dead lift: 240kg/400kg

Skills:
Street deal: 5
Awareness/notice: 7
Forgery: 7
Handgun: 6
Brawl: 2
Melee: 5
Pick Lock: 7
Pick Pocket: 3
Intimidate: 4
Persuade: 6

Driving: 4
Rifle: 4
Streetwise: 4
Expert Night City: 4
Library Search: 4
Stock Market: 4
Stealth: 3
Electronic Security: 3
Programming: 3
Personal Grooming: 2
Wardrobe and Style: 3
Accounting: 2

10 IP left

Background:
Born to the urban homeless, Wallace Emerson did not have a particularly prosperous childhood. His parents were hit particularly hard by the collapse and knew they could not raise him themselves, so Wallace was sent to live with his uncle in a decaying once upscale neighborhood in Night City. Uncle Derek and his girlfriend Erin Bjornson were both Eurobank corporates, so they had more money than Wallace's parents, so he was very well cared for. He made close friends with Sarah Nelson and Chris Avalon, two local kids in similar situations. By the time he was 16 he could handle himself well enough and attempted to make the trip to reconnect with his parents in LA. However he quickly discovered that being homeless made it very easy to just disappear. He returned to Night City empty handed, only to discover his Uncle had also vanished without a trace.

With no family left Wallace found himself destitute. He was drawn to the wrong crowds, making a friend and mentor out of a mafia Fixer at age 17. The Mafia acted as a second family for Wallace. They kept him out of trouble (for the most part) and he helped them. That being said he still managed to gain a 600eb gambling debt at age 18 that the Mafia wouldn't pay. By age 19 he had adopted the street name "The Fang". His ability to acquire less than legal goods made him very valuable, so the Mafia was more than happy to bank roll The Fang's cyber-ware dreams in exchange for a few favors. By 20 he and the Mafia Fixer had become rivals, and left their friendship in tatters. This was not a professional rivalry mind you, it was all over a girl. A woman which The Fang believed to be his, until age 21 when his rival managed to steal her affection.

His dream is to escape the poverty he was born into and win back his lover.

Weapons and armor:
Colt AMT Model 2000, P, 0, J, C, 4D6+1(12mm), 8,1, VR, 50m (Silenced, with shoulder holster)
H&K MPK-11, SMG, 0, L, C, 4D6+1(12mm), 30, 20, ST, 200m (With sling)
Switchblade, Melee, 0, P, C, 1D6/2, NA, NA, VR, 1m

150 rounds 12mm standard
150 rounds 12mm armor piercing

Light Armor Jacket, 14SP, 0EV
Flak pants, 20SP, 1EV
Nylon Helmet, 20SP, 0EV

White dress shirt
Black tie
Black slacks
Black suit jacket
Dark grey rainproof trench coat
Armor and SMG typically kept in his car rather than on his person, unless The Fang knows he is going to be on a mission that day.

Gear:
100 ft rope
Breathing mask
Binoculars
10x Glow sticks
Cutting torch
Flash light
2x Flash paint
10 ft flash tape
10 ft flash tape
Mechanical tool kit
1 week kibble supply
150eb cash
200eb credchip (illicit account with Mafia net-bank)

Cyberware:
Light tattoo (Basilisk along right arm)
Basic Neural Processor (Base of neck)
Vehicle link
Weapon link
Interface cables (from base of neck, down back, through sleeves)
Nasal Filters (Nose)
Independent air supply (Chest)
Cyber eye (Left)
Anti-dazzle (Left eye)
Low lite (Left eye)
Image enhancement (Left eye)
Digital camera (Left eye)
Basic hearing module (Left ear)
Radio link (Left ear)
Scrambler (Left ear)
Level Damper (Left ear)
Wide Band Radio Scanner (Left ear)
Sound editing (Left ear)
Amplified hearing (Left ear)

Car:

VMW Cohort
Top Speed: 80mph/128kph
Acceleration: 21mph/34kph
Deceleration: 40mph/64kph
Range: 300 miles/483km
Maneuver: 0
Crew: 1
Passengers: 3
Cargo: 0spc, 267kg (+0.5spc, 138kg per back seat folded down)
Mass:800kg
SP: 1
SDP: 20
Cost: 5500eb
*Information subject to change at Referee request. Cost break down available upon request*

Attachments

• tumblr_msycpfIOU81sf95cio1_500.jpg
    tumblr_msycpfIOU81sf95cio1_500.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Nickname: Silky
Class: Cop
Style: Casual cop uniform with mini-skirt and heeled boots, smokey makeup, long black silken hair, silver hoop earrings, black tinted wrap around shades

Background:
Irene Ueda is the illegitimate daughter of a Tohru Ueda, a Japanese Yakuza boss and an American corporate heiress named Nadia Ross whom his clan had kidnapped for ransom. After Nadine's abduction, the wealthy Ross family waited patiently for the kidnapper's demands. After a few months the message came, and the family paid handsomely for the return of their daughter. However, by the time the exchange was made it was clear that her Yakuza captors had not been kind to the young woman. Nadine showed signs of having been the victim of violence, and she was visibly pregnant. The Ross family thought of this as a disgrace, and while happy to have their daughter back, they hid the resulting child (Irene) away, keeping her out of the public eye so as not to tarnish their family's reputation in the upper echelons of society. Even Irene's own mother Nadia could barely stand to look at her, as the young girl's face only served to remind her of the atrocities she had endured at the hands of Tohru.

Forbidden her birthright as a member of both the Ross family dynasty and the Ueda Yakuza clan, the young girl had to make her own way through life. While she grew up in relative comfort at the Ross family mansion and received a fine education, she was denied the feeling of belonging every child needs. Raised primarily by the staff, most of whom were part time rogues who lived in the bowels of Night City, she learned what she could about thieving, hand to hand combat and marksmanship.

When setting out on her own as an adult, she finally cut ties with her rich mother's family. She no longer wanted to burden them by shaming their honor. She took the last name Ueda primarily because she wanted her father to know, should he come across her name as her reputation grew, who she was and that she would eventually be coming for him and his organization. She would make him pay for his evil deeds, and for her life of misery and loneliness. Determined to make it without help, she successfully completed the courses required to join the Night City Police department. After working her way up the chain of command she has recently joined the Max Tac unit as a full agent, with all the rights and responsibilities that come with the role.

Irene is a loner and not a very approachable person. Her cold demeanor kept her coworkers at bay for a good long while, but after a few months together the other cops at her station lovingly gave her the nickname of "Silky", due to the fact that her hair seemed to have an uncanny ability to stay bright, soft and shiny even after an intense firefight. She hated it at first of course, thinking they appeared to be demeaning her abilities as an agent. However she has come to grudgingly accept the name as a moniker of affection and camaraderie, something she got very little of growing up.

*Whew. Hope this looks good!
Going to need some help filling out the technical side of my character sheet. (If it's at all necessary to have)

Last edited:
playing a cop in Night City? recommend you: buy a sturdy helmet, never ever take it off (even to sleep), and get an insurance plan that covers FBC :robo:

Going to need some help filling out the technical side of my character sheet. (If it's at all necessary to have)[/i]

Just find an on-line PDF of CP2020 someplace and read. No need to memorized the system (unless you're the GM or an anal-retentive retired Jarhead/cop/programmer). Read the roles, look at the core skills for that role, do what you like. It's your character after all, and unlike PC/console games there's no such thing as a cookie-cutter "perfect" build. It's a REAL RPG run by a REAL GM (or ten).

The character creation system looks daunting at first, but it's actually pretty easy and fun to do. (They just kinda of laid it out poorly)

Maligna, Also any of us can and will help you stat it out when push comes to shove. You only need stats for tests against important challenges or other PCs. Hell, half the time, that, too, can be emoted out if everyone is cooperative.

Character construction is pretty simple, though. Stats and skills range from 1 to 10, more or less. Empathy 10 is obviously very empathic and Cool 2 is obviously a real freaker. Stats themselves don't typically drop below 2 unless you are crippled, such as from cyberware crippling your Empathy.

From a GM perspective, once I have an idea of your capabilities, I'm as happy as not to go with dice-free resolution as long as everyone is fair. For people like eraser, myself, Sue, the other hardcore PnPers, actual stats are comfortable and take away a lot of the can-I-can't-I fuzziness.

Streetname: Nogitsune
Current AKA: Kitsune Miyazaki
Class: Netrunner (Techie)
Style: Takanaka businesswear (VG +1 W/S) in public, well worn "Daisy Dukes" at home

This Japanese honor student grew up very comfortably, her parents were both middle management. During the temporary insanity that is female puberty she did all the usual things; rebel against authority, anything her parents disapproved of, and fell madly in love with the last man on earth she should have ... an Edgerunner.
Her misadventures, both hilarious and pathetic could fill volumes. Suffice to say if you have a daughter about to enter her teens you ain't seen nothing yet!

The one bright spot during this period was Mr Aiwa, her Sensai. To this day she's convinced the legendary Alt Cunningham and Rache Bartmoss are hotdoggers compared to Mr Aiwa. Finally she meta-morphed back in the girl her parents feared they'd forever lost and graduated from the University of Tokyo (summa cum laude).

Then her whole world changed …
(Yes @Sardukhar I'm very intentionally leaving this as a cliffhanger *sticks her tongue out at him*)

INT 10
REF 9/11
TECH 8
COOL 7
ATTR 6
LUCK 8
MA 7
BODY 5/7
EMP 8
HUM 80/61 (or 70.5 if humanity loss halved)
REP 0

Code of Honor (2 point penalty) Personal code of ethics she will live up to. Her word is binding and she will honor it (even if others don't).

Concentration (1 point benefit) She easily shuts out anything that might distract her. It's hard to get her attention of (-5 awareness rolls when concentrating). Ignores penalties for "kibitzing", firefights, etc., halve penalties due to damage sustained if you you are concentrating on something.

Fast Learner (4 point benefit) She catches on quicker than most. (IP costs reduced to level x9 when increasing skills)

Mild phobia, Filth (1 point penalty) What? Wade through all that crap? No way, there could be germs, dead things. Eugh! She can knuckle down and face it ... but ...

Vow, Revenge (2 point penalty) She will get revenge on the corp that destroyed her family!

4 Accounting
2 Athletics
4 Awareness/Notice
1 Composition
3 Driving (Motorcycle)
7 Education
4 Electronic Security
1 First Aid (+1 automedic)
1 Grooming
4 Handgun
1 Human Perception
7 Interface (+1 low impedance cables)
6 Language: English
8 Language: Japanese
6 Library Search
4 Martial Arts - Aikido
5 Mathematics
7 Programming
5 Tech: Basic (+1-2 diagnostics/repair)
6 Tech: Cyberdeck (+1-2 diagnostics/repair)
5 Tech: Cybertech (+1-2 diagnostics/repair)
5 Tech: Electronics (+1-2 diagnostics/repair)
1 Social
2 Swimming
7 System Knowledge
1 Wardrobe (+1-2 situational)

Chipware Socket (base of spine)
Contraceptive (5 yr)
Cybereye (right) - Anti-dazzle, Image Enhancement, Thermographic, Targeting Scope
Cybermodem Link (behind left ear)
Interface Plugs (behind ears)
Kerenzikov Boosterware (+2)
Muscle & Bone Lace (+2)
Nasal Filters
Neuralware Processor
Skinweave (SP12)
Smartgun Link (right wrist)
Note: All cyberwear EMP hardened

Goggles (Dataterm Link, Times Square, Micro/Teleoptics, Cell Phone Splice w/scrambler)
Eiji bodysuit (w/ gloves & feet), athletic shoes, utility belt/harness (SP10 +1 W/S ... not normally worn)
Takanaka armored opera cloak (torso/arm/legs *+head when hood is up* SP16 +1 W/S ... not normally worn)
Smartbag suitcase (spare clothing/underwear, personal hygiene items)

Glock 30 w/ 3x20 rnd mags (Smart - MP +2 P/J C 2d6+3 (10mm caseless) 20/30 1/3 VR)

Kevlar backpack (SP10) ** Holds cyberdeck & tools listed below **
Raven "Motoko" Combat Cyberdeck (modified +5, CPU=3, 60MU, DW+9, SP16/EMP hardened, cell, 4hr)
** Dead Mans Handle (Chrome 3) 2d10 vs REF roll to jack out when attacked by Black Ice **
** EBM 99080 MUSE (Chrome 3) allows you to isolate various parts of your decks memory **
** Flip Switch (Chrome 3) may create a "window" that allows you to see/hear the meatworld **
** Flopscreen (1x0.5m) & VoxBox allows others to see/hear what netrunner does **
** Low impedance cables (+1 interface) **
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/patti/patsite/cyberpunk/modem.html
Basic First Aid Kit/AutoMedic (70% +1FA, 3 drugs=Stim/SynComp/Trauma 1)
Pembroke Techscaner (+2/+1 diagnostics +1 W/S when appropriate)
Mixed Francesca & Venedico Basic/Electronic Tool Kit (+1/-1 repair +1 W/S when appropriate)
Line Tap Detector/Tracker (80%)
3x MicroFlash

====================
Notes:
While not a Corporate character class wise she was raised in a Corp household. And a traditional Japanese one at that. To mis-quote the Psi Corps from Babylon 5: "The Corp is mother, the Corp is father." But she's more like Talia Winters before her hidden personality was unearthed then Alfred Bester. Recent events have her questioning everything she has believed her entire life.
====================
Revised : 7 Apr 2016

Last edited:
Just find an on-line PDF of CP2020 someplace and read. No need to memorized the system (unless you're the GM or an anal-retentive retired Jarhead/cop/programmer). Read the roles, look at the core skills for that role, do what you like. It's your character after all, and unlike PC/console games there's no such thing as a cookie-cutter "perfect" build. It's a REAL RPG run by a REAL GM (or ten).

Okay I have the character sheet PDF. Is there anything else that's available for free when it comes to rulebooks?

Top Bottom