Cyberpunk 2077, A terrible way of doing story.

+
Most of us have probably played story games where the dialogue does not have your name included but in text, this allows us to create our own chosen name instead of having the game calling us something we know is not our name, a few hours in i roll my eyes everytime V is mentioned and sadly it is mentioned too often.

Let me demonstrate what i mean.

In your game a sentence is like this "Hey V, how are you doing ?"

Any modern story game knows better than to include names in dialogues like this. "Hey, how are you doing?"

And please for the love of god hire european voice actors, i don't want to sound like some american bratty spoiled teenager with no accent, any european accent for a female choice would be much better, Russian, Scandinavian, English, French, Polish, anything but modern english.

Take us far away from V in an expansion that allows us to be ourselves, a big studio like yours should understand how to do this, right ?

Last edited:
I disagree with this. Seems like a minor thing to nitpick given the issues the game has (and I'm not even ragging on it much, I'm having fun). The game takes place in Night City - which is in southern California. Sure, there are plenty of immigrants in America but by all accounts, V is from the area. Makes sense they'd have an American style accent regardless of which gender you're playing as. I think they did a great job with their VA talent. I've heard all kinds of accents from other characters in this game - which has gone a long way making the world feel believable and making me invested in the stories they're telling.

I myself have grown fond of the nickname we're given, and I think the name choice was really clever - It sounds legit, and it works for both guys and girls (and everything in between). Although, belonging to the 3rd person cry squad myself, I can sympathize. It's always a bummer when a choice made for us, doesn't quite sit right.

The female VA does a great job imho

Her name is V so ppl call her V, nothing else to say here

Most "modern" day rpg i've played the npc call you by name or rank, Dragon Age series Warden, Hawke an then Inquisitor, Mass Effect, either commander or shepard, Witcher, Geralt or witcher. See where am going?

Your nitpicking tbh

Why would someone born in California have a European accent?

I am not born in California, i am a european immigrant that migrated to America, you do not decide what my story is. How can i roleplay when there's no accented voice acting in the game ? for me to roleplay as a American it would require thorough brain washing, i'm afraid i'm not that simple minded.

I like America in the game, in reality that is entirely a different matter.

The female VA does a great job imho

Her name is V so ppl call her V, nothing else to say here

Most "modern" day rpg i've played the npc call you by name or rank, Dragon Age series Warden, Hawke an then Inquisitor, Mass Effect, either commander or shepard, Witcher, Geralt or witcher. See where am going?

Your nitpicking tbh

In your opinion, i disagree as a european. We need a accent for people that want to roleplay as anything else, it is not much to ask, they even have a arrow slider for it so they must have intended to add more.

Scandinavian? Oh lord, heaven forbid... I'm saying this as Norwegian - we're literally the Elcor of planet Earth in terms of English accents

Really?, Scandinavian accents are considered some of the most beautiful among accents, it must be nice spitting dirt at your own country, i would be ashamed of myself if i was you.

All is subjective, however having only one single voice and a ordinary one at that is a shame, but in the absence of the developers i hope modders patch their rushed game up as usual. (not rushed eh?)

or

Last edited:
No idea why that second quote you did about Scandinavian says i wrote it since i never and am Scottish.

You also need to remember what your saying is just your opinion much like mine was.

You say it's not much to ask but i disagree even though my knowledge of game development is very limited, i'll just point out it means hiring another VA, make that 2 since you'll need to give the lads another choice aswell, so your costs go up again, what now do you cut from the game just to have another english VA ontop of the existing english VA?

Your request, although not unreasonable, is entirely not needed

I'll reiterate, the Female VA who voices V does a great job and i cant wait to hear her more, in my most humble opinion

An im no interested in reviews or youtubers, no disrespect

I am not born in California, i am a european immigrant that migrated to America, you do not decide what my story is. How can i roleplay when there's no accented voice acting in the game ? for me to roleplay as a American it would require thorough brain washing, i'm afraid i'm not that simple minded.

I like America in the game, in reality that is entirely a different matter.

In your opinion, i disagree as a european. We need a accent for people that want to roleplay as anything else, it is not much to ask, they even have a arrow slider for it so they must have intended to add more.

Really?, Scandinavian accents are considered some of the most beautiful among accents, it must be nice spitting dirt at your own country, i would be ashamed of myself if i was you.

All is subjective, however having only one single voice and a ordinary one at that is a shame, but in the absence of the developers i hope modders patch their rushed game up as usual. (not rushed eh?)

or
Yes well you don't get to decide where the character is from either. If you want your character to be from another place then play another game. There are many many valid criticisms for this game, this one is just inane.

V is your name though. We don't get to pick a name. V also has his/her own personality. We can soften his/her attitude a touch in the dialogue but we don't get to play as if we have a different personality. We basically choose how V looks, and make all decisions based on different ways he/she would react within the parameters of their predetermined personality.

It was much the same with Geralt. We couldn't pick Geralt's gender but he was a character with his own personality. We couldn't change who Geralt was inside.

okay lets be clear here v was born and raised in America for the street kid lifepath (no reason whatsoever for a europian accent as he was literally raised in night city which is in america)

Corp is the most likely candidate for a foreign background (which would be Japanese as arasaka is a Japanese (not to mention highly imperialistic/nationalistic) company so you could transfer over to nc),

nomad is 50/50 because the clans can be all over the place so a south/central American accent is certainly possible and not a stretch.

the most likely scenario for a europian ending up in nc would be a refugee from the USSR (which is alive and well in 2077)

Top Bottom