Cyberpunk 2077 as a standalone game

+
I don't mind changes to the world - if you make it immune to change, you make it static and that's dead. Even sweeping changes are okay, as long as the spirit of the game is kept in mind.

Nuking Arasaka tower didn't really bother me, mechanics aside. The destruction didn't bother me, I guess I'm trying to say. Killing Saburo, Arasaka going out of business, all of these are fine. Just keep continuity and taste in mind.

After all, a lot of it is personal preference. Some people have no problem with destroying a Cpunk icon like Johnny, but dislike the idea of a hostile takeover putting Militech under I.E.

Change. It's what's for breakfast.

BUT FIRST. Please give us the original, the basis for that change. Cyberpunk 2020, as close as possible as you can get.

I don't mind changes to the world - if you make it immune to change, you make it static and that's dead. Even sweeping changes are okay, as long as the spirit of the game is kept in mind.

Nuking Arasaka tower didn't really bother me, mechanics aside. The destruction didn't bother me, I guess I'm trying to say. Killing Saburo, Arasaka going out of business, all of these are fine. Just keep continuity and taste in mind.

After all, a lot of it is personal preference. Some people have no problem with destroying a Cpunk icon like Johnny, but dislike the idea of a hostile takeover putting Militech under I.E.

Change. It's what's for breakfast.

BUT FIRST. Please give us the original, the basis for that change. Cyberpunk 2020, as close as possible as you can get.

The thing is, when youitroduce something as a maojor infuence in the world, well you sell a book with a definitive map.... people tend to base entire campaigns around them...

It't not that change is bad, per se... it's that in the situations like that, the major influences don't really belong to the creators anymore. Killig the iconic characters means nothing really... They have little to no effect to peoples games. The 4rth Corporate war, nuking arasaka tower... these things changed the economic and political landscapes. As I said, it also invalidated one of the most popular sourcebooks, and one that is regularly hailed as the best example of its type.

I will never again spend money on a dungeons of dragons book... I got into 3rd edition when it came out, in a major way. Then they released 3.5... what 5 years later? At that point I was all fuck that... I have spent ridiculous amounts of money buying your sourcebooks, just for you to tell me 5 years later that all of it worthless, because everyone I know is going to eagerly switch to 3.5. And then 5 years after that, 4rth edition comes out... and these idiots do it all over again, because everyone has to play the new shiny. Now its less than 3 years, and these same idiots are ready to buy 5th edition.

And you know what.... if Wizards Of The Coast can pull this off this ultimate scam off, good for them... but I dropped out a long time ago and never looked back.

It's bad enough when the mechanics change... even if they are for the better. But when they change the fluff along with it, it just is the ultimate screw job for the fans.

I have only known you since the game was announced on the blogs... but from what I can gather, I can guess you probably have a Cyberpunk 2020 collection that's pretty complete, or near to it. I also know you have as little love for Firestorm Stormfront as I do. I assumed it was for the same reasons, ridiculous tech advancement and unnecessary and kinda silly changes... But maybe you dislike it for other reasons, I dunno. I just hate to see one of my favorite sourcebooks of all time made incompatible and obsolete. As you may have guessed from my combat zone guide... I am as big a fan of Cyberpunk 2020's fluff as I am it's mechanics.

And since we know they will be releasing a PNP update to coincide with the games release, what happens in the game effects the tabletop game as well. And I would rather not see all those books become completely incompatible.

Of course, I am still hoping that Mike drops fuzion completely, and goes back to Interlock, or better yet, Interlock Unlimited... lord knows its been offered to him freely.

The thing is, when youitroduce something as a maojor infuence in the world, well you sell a book with a definitive map.... people tend to base entire campaigns around them... As I said, it also invalidated one of the most popular sourcebooks, and one that is regularly hailed as the best example of its type.
It's bad enough when the mechanics change... even if they are for the better. But when they change the fluff along with it, it just is the ultimate screw job for the fans.

I have only known you since the game was announced on the blogs... but from what I can gather, I can guess you probably have a Cyberpunk 2020 collection that's pretty complete, or near to it. I also know you have as little love for Firestorm Stormfront as I do. I assumed it was for the same reasons, ridiculous tech advancement and unnecessary and kinda silly changes... But maybe you dislike it for other reasons, I dunno. I just hate to see one of my favorite sourcebooks of all time made incompatible and obsolete. As you may have guessed from my combat zone guide... I am as big a fan of Cyberpunk 2020's fluff as I am it's mechanics.

Of course, I am still hoping that Mike drops fuzion completely, and goes back to Interlock, or better yet, Interlock Unlimited... lord knows its been offered to him freely.

I've..never heard of Fuzion. NEVER. EVER. Please don't introduce us.

My Cpunk collection is sadly scattered to the winds of many, many moves and family and my need, for many years, to live with only what fit in my duffle-bag. It was a fun time. Thank Gibson for pdfs, though.

I don't think nuking Arasaka Tower made the Night City sourcebook obsolete at all. Thanks to the foresight of Arasaka engineers, nearly all of the blast and radiation was contained to the towers. In a gesture of good faith, they've even voted for a 0.35% increase in the corporate tax to help cover the cost of municipal clean-up! What good guys! The 4th Corp War, which in my world concluded with the accidental deaths of several of the directors responsible, followed by voting in new, less crazed directors, ( I toy with Arasaka or Militech being absorbed by another corp), changed relatively little. Rache Bartmoss' parting gift, though, changed much more.

You get the idea.

You've brought up a classic flaw with both source books and canon: they can lead to a world that is resistant to life, to movement. This is why we GMs exist! To process the canon changes into our own settings.

I disliked Stormfront for many reasons, not least of which was it's pussiness. I don't mind they nuked Arasaka - I regret more destruction didn't happen. Much more. And no national leader anywhere gets to phone up a major Corp head in my 2020 and dictate terms. If that was the case, it wouldn't BE Cyberpunk, it would be Modern World + Cyber. I.e. boring.

I hope it's not standalone, but I also hope this is no direct sequel. Make it a setting sequel, if you will.

What I really hope is that it doesn't happen the same happened to Bethesda. They make very good games, but they are way to similar, as in Fallout 3 felt like TES: Post-Apocalypse. If I feel I'm playing the Cyberpunk Witcher, that would be real problematic for me. If it feels fresh, it has room for more games based on CP.

when you finish a good game you know that the first or second thought that comes to your mind is that you want more. You get somehow attached to your character and it's only natural you would want to keep the story going. That being said everyone knows that sequels often do not live up to the previous games. Now this is a result of a certain aproach to the story - we plan the story for one game and depending on the sales we'll come up with some sort of continuation.
I personally would like that CDPR to clearly state that they plan for the story to be told in (let's say) 2 parts/games. They didnt have to worry about this in the wticher series because they already had it planned/thought through for them. Now this is a bit different. Preferably after the story is done they would go for spin-offs. Unless of course they come up with something they didnt thought about before that would make them absolutely certain the story is worth continuation (cp77 in 2 years, potential sequel another 2 years = plenty of time to think of some interesting story)

God, I hope they have Nomads! I kind of have an attachment to them.... My first CP2020 character was a Nomad (Pre- Neo tribes sourcebook, but he would most likely have been a Jode clansman based off of his home of origin if you want to look at it from a Neo Tribes perspective). "Iron Mike" Greerson was his name. He was a Longrider for his clan, a Central American War vet and, after a series of rather weird adventures and near fatal incidents, became a legend. The story is too long to tell here, but the G.M gave him the label of "The Vagabond Messiah." and he retired, along with his pack in peace.

Last edited:
I know you meant that as a good natured rib. But he did better than that. In one of his many misadventures, he, with the help of an AI he "Liberated", bankrupted the Mexico City branch of Arasaka...and used the loot to start a business (A dating service for Cyborgs called " Electric Dreams, Inc."). I know it sounds outlandish, but it REALLY happened that way.

Top Bottom