Cyberpunk 2077 as a standalone game

+
Cyberpunk 2077 as a standalone game

I would really love CD Projekt Red to make this game a standalone title. What I mean by this is simple: no sequels or prequels. The game would stand on its own with a beginning, middle and end. It would be its own enclosed story with no 'to be continued' or any loose threads to tie up. The best example of this is probably Planescape Torment. That game didn't even have a particularly long main questline but even so, was utterly absorbing from start to finish and completely satisfying. This is just something I've been thinking about recently with so many games having sequels and turning into series and trilogies. It would be really refreshing to have a singular game which bucks that trend and I think CD Projekt Red are the only developer working at the moment that would even think about doing this. However this is just my opinion. What do my fellow forum goers have to say about this idea? Also if any member of the dev team could give us a hint at their plans in regards to this it would be most appreciated!

It won't happen unless the game tanks. We get sequels because developing an IP from scratch every time out is enormously expensive, so I don't begrudge devs doing it...up to a point. TES or Fallout being examples of IP's that have lost their luster due to so many iterations. It also gives devs a chance to build further upon established mechanics.

It also gives devs a chance to build further upon established mechanics.

True, if the Devs make a sequel to 2077, they can introduce new features, that they couldn't introduce before, while also continuing to better the already made ones. Not everything's perfect first time around!

Yeah I get that. So maybe make other games in the Cyberpunk universe but not a sequel? Maybe showing another time period earlier or later on or something. I'm just tired of completing a game only to find out half the questions raised are not answered by the end. I'm sure they could end your story in a very satisfying way and then make another Cyberpunk game in another time frame playing as a different character. Obviously I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see other games in the Cyberpunk universe but just that I'm tired of trilogies and series at this point.

I would really love CD Projekt Red to make this game a standalone title. What I mean by this is simple: no sequels or prequels. The game would stand on its own with a beginning, middle and end. It would be its own enclosed story with no 'to be continued' or any loose threads to tie up. The best example of this is probably Planescape Torment. That game didn't even have a particularly long main questline but even so, was utterly absorbing from start to finish and completely satisfying. This is just something I've been thinking about recently with so many games having sequels and turning into series and trilogies. It would be really refreshing to have a singular game which bucks that trend and I think CD Projekt Red are the only developer working at the moment that would even think about doing this. However this is just my opinion. What do my fellow forum goers have to say about this idea? Also if any member of the dev team could give us a hint at their plans in regards to this it would be most appreciated!

Um no.... and for suggesting such a thing, you and I can never be friends...

Seriously, who looks at what is going to be an awesome game and says... "man, I hope they never make any more of these!"

Hi and welcome to CP2077 forums! ;)

Well, as much as I loved (and love) Planescape:Torment and understand where you're coming from, I can't picture CP2077 as a single, standalone game.

Here are my 2 cents on the issue:

1. We live in the times of sequels. That's what makes the big AAA studios going and keeps them afloat. But, more importantly, many players want sequels! If the developer comes up with a new IP and it's good, players want more of it. More of the world, the characters, they're just curious what happens next in the story, they get attached. And CDPR already proved twice that they can create rich, captivating stories with the Witcher games. Most of the people on the Witcher forums can't wait for Witcher 3 and any news regarding it. Even Planescape:Torment creators get more and more requests for a sequel, and it has been confirmed lately.

2. Cyberpunk 2077 game is based on a license of existing PnP system, for which I assume CDPR paid a fair amount of money. Mike Pondsmith is also involved in the project, saying that he looked for the aproppriate developer team for years. If you consider how dedicated both parties are, I can't imagine them planning to cooperate only on one game. Of course, many things can happen down the road, the game might sell terribly or they can argue and split their ways, but if the game becomes a success and both Mike's and CDPR's dreams come true, I bet as creative people they will all feel more inspired to work on another CP2077 titles.

Why wouldn't you want more of an excellent thing? While I understand your thinking in regards to questions not being answered till the end, that is not a good reason, at all, for not having sequels. By 2020, I would except a sequel to CP77, it might be CP 2100 for all we know!

I think people have misunderstood me slightly. It's not that I don't want any other games in the Cyberpunk universe after this one. Also I can't WAIT for The Witcher 3 and think they have done a great job with that franchise. It's just that I want a game with a fully satisfying story and that includes having a satisfying ending which closes off loose ends and story threads. I think the Cyberpunk setting is perfect for CD Projekt Red and really do hope they make other games using the licence and setting. I just would love to see different stories featuring different characters and events. @Wisdom000 I hope this means we can be friends!

Forum veteran
It's just that I want a game with a fully satisfying story and that includes having a satisfying ending which closes off loose ends and story threads.
I agree with this 110% and mentioned on the other forum just the other day that I hope for the same thing. Too many games stretch stories over multiple games, and it's too difficult to maintain that emotional attachment that makes the story work for so long. There's also the trouble of having to wait for years at a time for a story to end, which is incredibly annoying and doesn't help with that inevitable disconnect. That's not even mentioning the potential problems midway through a series, leading to situations like Shenmue, Advent Rising, Half Life 2: Episode 2... yeah, the list goes on and on, sadly. No fun for anyone.

Having each game be a self-contained story is often a much more satisfying and fulfilling experience, with Planescape being an excellent example of this.

Thanks for understanding what I'm getting at! I'm just always so weary of hyping up a sequel or threequel these days because so many have failed to live up to my expectations. I love Mass Effect 3 but it could never have lived up to my expectations. No game could have. That's the problem with waiting so many years between a story's beginning and ending. So I really hope the devs look at this and consider doing separate self-contained stories. I'm still super hyped for Witcher 3 though! I just can't help it :D

I agree with this 110% and mentioned on the other forum just the other day that I hope for the same thing. Too many games stretch stories over multiple games, and it's too difficult to maintain that emotional attachment that makes the story work for so long. There's also the trouble of having to wait for years at a time for a story to end, which is incredibly annoying and doesn't help with that inevitable disconnect. That's not even mentioning the potential problems midway through a series, leading to situations like Shenmue, Advent Rising, Half Life 2: Episode 2... yeah, the list goes on and on, sadly. No fun for anyone.

Having each game be a self-contained story is often a much more satisfying and fulfilling experience, with Planescape being an excellent example of this.

My emotional attachment to The Witcher is firmly in place and we'll likely be getting a sequel next year. Not that long to wait really. So I can't share your sentiment on this.

If all the OP wants is a satisfactory ending, well, that can be done within sequels, it's just really hard to do. Anyway, they already stated their intention of making 'games' in the CP universe and as long as they treat the source material with enough respect not to blatantly milk it, I absolutely want more than one game.

Three games is perfect I think. They can plan a storyline if they have a set number of games from the beginning, we get to play a couple of great games and then they move on to a new IP.

Forum veteran
My emotional attachment to The Witcher is firmly in place and we'll likely be getting a sequel next year. Not that long to wait really. So I can't share your sentiment on this.
But the first Witcher had a standalone story. Do you really not find that preferable to waiting for years to find out how the whole thing with Yennefer plays out? Or Nilfgaard? So much is left completely up in the air in the second game. Can you imagine if the first game had ended so suddenly? Imagine that you-know-who ran away at the end and the game ended before the Ice Plains, with that particular story arc to be completed in Witcher 2—there's no way that'd be a more satisfying ending.

Individual games do themselves a disservice by making themselves incomplete without the other parts of the set, and an actual ending isn't something that should have to be waited for; it's entirely possible and realistic to create new stories in the same world without having to dangle a bunch of storylines between games as bait. They can even connect together without leaving a bunch of unfinished stories lying around. Besides, it inspires consistency and forces writers to come up with the whole thing at once. I don't know if the Witcher story was written all at once (though I desperately hope so), but Mass Effect as a series is a narrative mess because the ending to the series was changed between games. Just one of many potential problems, and though I trust CDPR's writers way, way, way more than to make such stupid mistakes, it'd still be nice to get a complete story in each game.

I just would love to see different stories featuring different characters and events. @Wisdom000 I hope this means we can be friends!

The thing is, this is Cyberpunk... we will be creating our own characters. I would ideally like to play the same character in future games in the franchise. And moving the timline just kinda makes everything a bit wierd, as the technology jumps and falls, and is no longer really Cyberpunk (See Cybergen, Firestorm, and V3)....

As for us being friends, I say things like that... but you have to really be a wanker before I don't like you.... so unless you hate nomads or some nonsense like that, we are cool.

But the first Witcher had a standalone story. Do you really not find that preferable to waiting for years to find out how the whole thing with Yennefer plays out? Or Nilfgaard? So much is left completely up in the air in the second game. Can you imagine if the first game had ended so suddenly? Imagine that you-know-who ran away at the end and the game ended before the Ice Plains, with that particular story arc to be completed in Witcher 2—there's no way that'd be a more satisfying ending.

Individual games do themselves a disservice by making themselves incomplete without the other parts of the set, and an actual ending isn't something that should have to be waited for; it's entirely possible and realistic to create new stories in the same world without having to dangle a bunch of storylines between games as bait. They can even connect together without leaving a bunch of unfinished stories lying around. Besides, it inspires consistency and forces writers to come up with the whole thing at once. I don't know if the Witcher story was written all at once (though I desperately hope so), but Mass Effect as a series is a narrative mess because the ending to the series was changed between games. Just one of many potential problems, and though I trust CDPR's writers way, way, way more than to make such stupid mistakes, it'd still be nice to get a complete story in each game.

I have a clearer view of what you're saying now - 3 stand alone stories in the same universe. No overarching plot. Can't say I'm outright opposed to it. I'll have to think about it I guess. At least they wouldn't be abandoning Cyberpunk that way.

no reason there can't be more then One story I like games that give me a satisfying ending not a *** was that like AC did

Doesn't mean that a sequel could not be a new story in the same setting which is what CP is lots and lots of different stories just all in the same base setting .

no reason there can't be more then One story I like games that give me a satisfying ending not a *** was that like AC did

Doesn't mean that a sequel could not be a new story in the same setting which is what CP is lots and lots of different stories just all in the same base setting .

Actually, so long as it takes place in the same setting and time, that would be almost preferable...

However I would still want to bring my character(s) over, or remake him (them) in the new game...

I

Top Bottom