Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 2019

+
You say that like wanting to actually have equality between combat mechanics and the rest is "getting pen-and-paper mehanics and transferring it 1:1 to computer game".

Is wanting to have NPC react differenly to Social V (if it can be done...) and Murder Hobo V that bad?

Of course it's not bad. But I don't really understand why are you worried then. It was stated multiple times that every decision will have consequences. You don't need stats for that.

Of course it's not bad. But I don't really understand why are you worried then. It was stated multiple times that every decision will have consequences. You don't need stats for that.

It's not a matter of decision. Decisions are what you try to do.
It's a matter of stats, telling if it worked or not.

Two men asking the same girl out with the exact same words will not get the same answer.
=> Same decision (from the men), different outcome (based on stats).
Two men applying to the same job with the exact same words will not get the same answer.
Two men trying to bully the same people with the exact same words will not get the same reaction.

Without stats to decide what works and what don't you are stuck playing an adventure game such as Detroit: Become Human.
Actually in the Demo it's showed it does work that way for a lots of things, with is good. Now I need to know it that's the case to in social situation, or if it's "just" a glorified action game with a good story.

It's not a matter of decision. Decisions are what you try to do.
It's a matter of stats, telling if it worked or not.

Two men asking the same girl out with the exact same words will not get the same answer.
Two men applying to the same job with the exact same words will not get the same answer.
Two men trying to bully the same people with the exact same words will not get the same reaction.

Without stats to decide what works and what don't you are stuck playing an adventure game such as Detroit: Become Human.
Actually in the Demo it's showed it does work that way for a lots of things, with is good. Now I need to know it that's the case to in social situation, or if it's "just" a glorified action game with a good story.

But you will have the checks in the dialogues, based on your stats. Basically every article from current E3 presentation just confirmed that.

Sorry, but I'm not really following what your gripe with the game really is.

But you will have the checks in the dialogues, based on your stats. Basically every article from current E3 presentation just confirmed that.

Sorry, but I'm not really following what your gripe with the game really is.

Cannot do better that the exemples I gave before: different people saying the same things having different results.
What you speak of is different people trying different things.

Cannot do better that the exemples I gave before: different people saying the same things having different results.
What you speak of is different people trying different things.

So you basically want to have stats influencing the dialogues, but without any additional tags like "dialogue option 1 - netrunning level 3 required" ? And all dialogue options visible, even if your stats are not good enough to use them? Because this is the only way I can imagine your wish could be realized.

I think the gunplay will be good enough, not on Battlefield or other shooters level where its the primary and main gameplay option, but it doesnt need to be because u will have tons of other stuff to fuck around, melee, hacking, engineering, sneaking etc.. and probably some guns will be more fun to use and will have more weight to them than others, just like in every game, for example the shootguns on last year gameplay demo already looked super fun.

And all dialogue options visible, even if your stats are not good enough to use them? Because this is the only way I can imagine your wish could be realized.

That's it: liberty to try (and possibly fail).
And same things with just simple dialogs, where the Yes or the No as an NPC answer would be based on situation/NPC personality (for the difficulty) and on V C2077 equivalent of Cool/Appearance/Humanity stat + corresponding social skill.

Really liked this interview -

Talks about differences in playing solo, netrunner and techie.

Also talks about how stats effect gameplay (i.e. Cool - which remember is more like "keep your cool" not "boy that person is cool!" - improves aim).

Wants all quests to feel of equal quality. Small quests need to be touched in such a way that they feel and crafted and high quality. Distinction between quest types should not seem high budget vs low budget. In one "story" you can end up navigating through multiple quests that are interconnected but also independent.

Certain bits of cyberware are more helpful for certain builds. There are limitations to when you can install certain types of Cyberware. Hand canons installed in hand confirmed!

All six districts are distinct. Confirmation that nuke dropped downtown happened and has now been rebuilt. Huge corporate presence. Watson or Pacifica are now much less affluent. Each story has it's own story and history.

Fast travel confirmed, not forced to drive if you don't want to, but he thinks the driving is really cool. Confirms radio stations in the cars. Calls music one of the "super important pillars to the game." Different cars and bikes to own confirmed.

Impossible to see everything in one go based on different builds, dialogue options, lifepaths, non-linear quest and level design and etc. Lots of replayability.

Last edited:
Really liked this interview -
Also talks about how stats effect gameplay (i.e. Cool - which remember is more like "keep your cool" no "boy that person is cool!" - improves aim).

Already knew that (minus the "improves aim" part).
But the more I see, the less I understand how they can actually manage to have a V that is socially better than another V.
It more and more seems like the social (and only that, not special actions during dialogues) part of the game is already stripted to be the same for every V, meaning no social system at all, only adventure game like social interractions.
Like if Social is subpar and that knowing how well V shoot things is more interesting than how good he is at manipulating people.

It more and more seems like the social (and only that, not special actions during dialogues) part of the game is already stripted to be the same for every V, meaning no social system at all, only adventure game like social interactions.
Not sure of course. But if there were no social skills, my guess would be is that the dialogue choices themselves have more impact on social consequences than a "persuasion" number. Which IMO, is the better way to do it. It's never made a lot of sense to me that two character builds can deliver the same line the same way and achieve different results because one what? One smiles better while saying it?

However, we still haven't really heard much about techie builds. Last demo was solo focused, and this one jumps between netrunner and solo apparently. I would guess if there were social skills, they would be the techie focused tree. But that's a guess.

Not sure of course. But if there were no social skills, my guess would be is that the dialogue choices themselves have more impact on social consequences than a "persuasion" number. Which IMO, is the better way to do it.

It's basically saying that it's not an RPG, if you're not playing the role of someone else with that someone else skills but instead playing with your own skills.

Actually that's a pretty common discussion in tabletop games where min-maxer which are good at talking wants to put all their points in their fighting abilitys and wants their (bad, as they do not reflect their character) roleplay to resolve social situation without rolling dices.

It's never made a lot of sense to me that two character builds can deliver the same line the same way and achieve different results because one what? One smiles better while saying it?

The same reason why two men asking the same girl out with the exact same words might not get the same answer: Different stats.

Actually if the game was to be perfectly accurate, the way V speaks and behave should be different depending on his skills, but that's too much work.

However, we still haven't really heard much about techie builds. Last demo was solo focused, and this one jumps between netrunner and solo apparently. I would guess if there were social skills, they would be the techie focused tree. But that's a guess.

Why techie? As the one who logically have better reasons to be good socially is the Netrunner which have to exploit the informations he found.

Actually that's a pretty common discussion in tabletop games where min-maxer which are good at talking wants to put all their points in their fighting abilitys and wants their (bad, as they do not reflect their character) roleplay to resolve social situation without rolling dices.

Biggest issue with having generic persuasion skill is that it so often becomes mandatory to max out in order to unlock best endings or outcomes or even quest rewards. Worst case that I remember was Wisdom stat for Planescape: Torment.

It's basically saying that it's not an RPG, if you're not playing the role of someone else with that someone else skills but instead playing with your own skills.
I strongly disagree. RPG is not defined by stats. It's defined by "playing the role," which can of course be represented in part by dialogue options. Saying it HAS to be done this one way is way too self limiting for my tastes.
Why techie? As the one who logically have better reasons to be good socially is the Netrunner which have to exploit the informations he found.
Because of the three a techie is the one who would have to rely on social skills in some part in their day to day life. Succeeding as a techie requires some amount of dealing with other people to make money. A solo-y hired assassin doesn't need to be charming to make money. Neither does a Netrunner who lives in the net most of the time. A techie would be the most likely to need some salesmanship ability to make a living.

Thanks for sharing . It`s interesting they only mention one background thing , i wonder if the others are gone from the game ????????

For sure, no problem.

This article is so good and.
They talk there about what I was pondering and it is true about the little I know of the lore of silverhand. And how they showcase it in the trailers. By him being in V's head. (I knew it!) because, if we see the part in the game, that you are going inside this tub of water when the women is poring ice, I imagine that is part of the story in which you do the brain-dance, and perhaps with the chip in your head, that is when you click? and can see and hear silverhand?

When I saw that in the trailer, I was, "Wait a minute is this an interpretation of a method of braindance?" Putting two and two together, knowing silverhand backstory like "Where's is Johnny". That gives a whole lot. Actually. But hey that is just me going places with what it was shown.

Did anybody else see the Bloomberg interview where Marcin IIwiński said he ought to be lurking on the forums checking to see peoples impressions of the info rather than being there? I felt both like "Hey, that's us!" and a little like "I've got to watch my typos more" all at the same time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/vide...n-cyberpunk-2077-keanu-reeves-and-china-video

The question starts at like 13:10

Reds have said it many times - they are here, watching. Silently. Patiently. Waiting to strike..oh wait. No, no that's a bad thing.

I mean, watching in delight and fascination as their pets...no, no I did it again.

They are here. Watching avuncularly.

I strongly disagree. RPG is not defined by stats. It's defined by "playing the role," which can of course be represented in part by dialogue options. Saying it HAS to be done this one way is way too self limiting for my tastes.

It's like saying people should be limited to play themselves as they are limited by their own skills.
I cannot say I agree with that design.

Top Bottom