Cyberpunk 2077 crashes when truning RayTracing ON

+
Hi all,

Unfortunately like many others, the game also crashes for me within 5/10/20/30mins, but ONLY if I turn RayTracing ON (doesn't matter what options is active from Low to Psycho) Most of the crashes are hard crashes, which means that I have 2 manually turn off my PC manually to then restart the PC. Also sometimes getting that the game "flat lined" error message and I click send. In the Event Viewer its states that the GPU-Driver shutdown and restored its self.

Playing @1440p:
The past 2 days I've been testing everything like crazy: Metro Exodus/Control/Watch Dogs Legion playing each game for over 2hours with RayTracing On (Ultra settings) without a single crash (with the newest drivers 460.79)
Then came back to test my findings in Cyberpunk 2077 (had the problem with 1.03 aswell with the latest update 1.04):
I've been playing CP2077 game for the past 5hours+ (none stop) without a single crash, till I turn on RayTracing in-game (again doesn't matter which option I choose) then within 5 tot 30mins the game crashes (soft/hard crashes)

What I've tried and didn't work:
- Reinstalled the drivers using DDU
- Cleared the cash file inside the folder C:\Users\#####\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\cache
- Deleting the UserSettings.json so that the game generates a new one
- Lowerd everyting in the game to the lowest while Raytracing is On (low-setting)
- Downlocked my GPU -50Mhz via MSI-Afterburner
- In NV-Control-panel: "Manage 3D settings/Power management mode" changed between "Normal" & "Perfer maximum performance"
- Turned off RayTracing Shadows
- Changed from 1440p to 1080p
- No programs running in the background
- No (in-game)-overlays active

Hardware temperatures while playing CP2077:
I did notice that the temps overall are higher then all other games at times but nothing critical:
GPU (RTX 3080):
The GPU temp is between 55-65degrees when RayTracing is on and 45-55degrees whiles its off (other games 45-50degrees)
CPU (i7 6800K):
Between 45-65degrees (other games between 40-55degrees)

My system specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 2004 (Build 19041.572)
Game Ready Driver 460.79 (used DDU to remove older driver and installed 460.79 as fresh)
MSI X99A-GAMING-7 MotherBoard (with latest Bio-supdate)
Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB
Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (not over-/downclocked or undervolted + latest VBios)
Intel Core i7 6800K @3,4GHz standard clocks (not overclocked)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 kit (@2666Mhz, not overlock)
Corsair HX850i PSU

The problem that I am experiencing is strickly with RayTracing-option (some kind of VRAM/RT-Cores memory leak perhaps).
Its either that RayTracing needs more optimizing for a variety of RTX2000/3000 cards through new Nvidia-drivers or a new game-patch.

Hope I shed some light for some of you who might have the same issue and didn't know whats the cause of the problem.
Really hope for a fix soon. Thanks you for taking the time to have read this post and looking into this matter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't down- or underclock anything, it's often making things worse with games from CDPR.

I'd close all background apps that might even remotely have an impact with the task manager and also disable all overlay features just in case.

Support can be reached here:
(contact us to send a ticket)

And yes, responding to every post here is pretty much impossible. I'm trying as much as I can. But in the end, a lot of the issues can only be solved by CDPR support and upcoming patches.

Top Bottom