Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
I really don't think they need to add fog or mist to the day. I like having it look bright and normal. If the place was covered in smoke and dust no one would want to live in Japantown or any of the luxurious districts. I say, leave it as it is. It's a beautiful game.

Who wants gloom and doom all the time even in a cyberpunk environment. There have to be moments where you feel safe in the world even if it is just for a moment. The day cycle conveys a moment of safety as we find out quickly how dangerous the world is even when the light shines

This! I've never understood why it has to be so dystopian and depressing. It's not about technology but the choice of how its used. Some choose bad while other choose good. I absolutely love the city areas of the Mass Effect and the Deus Ex games. I love how it came to life and gave the game some humanity. If you are always in darkness, fighting monsters then really what is the point if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor and see and experience pretty things.

In addition to the atmosphere, I'd like to add some ideas about the music too, as this'll have a huge impact as well.

There is a song (shared below) which is from a channel on YouTube who creates space ambient soundtracks.
What's more interesting on this video is the visuals in addition to the music. It's based on a cyberpunk-like future world with very immerse lightning during its daytime (That actually looks kind of legendary) that fits quite well into the setting alongside the music.

So, from our point of view I think there is not very much we can say, except what we would expect, as CDPR knows best, what suites into the game in consideration that you're the creators.
However, it would be interesting to know what you think about the Video above that I shared, and how much of the immersion of its visualized daytime alongside the music would fit into CP2077?

Let's say this would indeed be suitable, I think it's not too late to make some changes to the atmosphere, if it can improve it.
Considering the had amazing music that was very fitting in Witcher 3, you dont have to worry about music in Cyberpunk 2077.

Actually W1 music is better, and W1 has way better atmosphere then later games.

And these 2077 presentations completely lack any atmosphere and soul. They feel more like enhanced GTA.

Actually W1 music is better, and W1 has way better atmosphere then later games.

And these 2077 presentations completely lack any atmosphere and soul. They feel more like enhanced GTA.
Its not even in alpha i think and you think this is the final product? It could all be temporary.

I don't talk about full game because it doesn't exist. I talk about presentations, obviously.
The thing is that CDPR lost it's touch. The W1 has unique atmosphere, but in W2/3 this is lost.

There is no such thing as "lack of atmosphere". With each game CDPR went for a different direction regarding atmosphere, that's it.All three games are insanely good in the art quality, each is distinct. Whether you like it or not that's a different thing.

With cyberpunk they're doing a complete 180 and IMO that's a good thing. The game seems unique within the genre (from what was shown) and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more. The fact that the city kind of sort of looks like Los Angeles and there are a few palm trees here and there doesn't make it a GTA clone.

There is no such thing as "lack of atmosphere". With each game CDPR went for a different direction regarding atmosphere, that's it.All three games are insanely good in the art quality, each is distinct. Whether you like it or not that's a different thing.

With cyberpunk they're doing a complete 180 and IMO that's a good thing. The game seems unique within the genre (from what was shown) and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more. The fact that the city kind of sort of looks like Los Angeles and there are a few palm trees here and there doesn't make it a GTA clone.

There is actually lack of atmosphere, and CDPR devs have talked about this regarding the W1 and it's unique atmosphere. They have admitted that it's lost in the W2/3.
Cyberpunk setting is perfect for unique atmosphere, yet in those 2077 presentations i don't see it. Many people have noticed this.

There is actually lack of atmosphere, and CDPR devs have talked about this regarding the W1 and it's unique atmosphere. They have admitted that it's lost in the W2/3.
Cyberpunk setting is perfect for unique atmosphere, yet in those 2077 presentations i don't see it. Many people have noticed this.

Atmosphere have never been big selling point in game industry. Many companies have tried but none of them have thrived. In order to make awesome amtosphere, you wll need to sacrifice alot, not that Im anykind of IT-expert.

Its a first look presentation...its norwhere near final. And where in Witcher 3 did you think the atmosphere was lacking?

I remember a similar discussion before TW3 came out. A lot of people seem to mistake atmosphere for a limited colour palette and a bit of fog. That TW1 had plenty of. And while I do agree TW2 was more on the generic side(, the third one had lots of uniqueness about it (just look at monster design for example) and CP is shaping up to be unique looks-wise as well IMO. Put it next to a game like Deus Ex: MD or 99% of other cyberpunk games. Night and day if you ask me.

Atmosphere have never been big selling point in game industry. Many companies have tried but none of them have thrived. In order to make awesome amtosphere, you wll need to sacrifice alot, not that Im anykind of IT-expert.

So wrong. I can name you so many legendary atmospheric games that were extremely successful, and companies that made them exist even today, like Blizzard or Bethesda for example.
The problem today is this fraud called "games as a service", where they wan't to rob you as much as possible.

So wrong. I can name you so many legendary atmospheric games that were extremely successful, and companies that made them exist even today, like Blizzard or Bethesda for example.
The problem today is this fraud called "games as a service", where they wan't to rob you as much as possible.

Maybe you right, sure you can make Night City more atmospheric by adding stuff like humidity, raining, dust, trash flying everywhere etc. But it eats your CPU fast.

These are the reason why I kinda hope for Cyberpunk Movie. I thikn it comes down to what is atsmopheric to you. I prefer movies for that. I honestly thik this is battle what game industry cant win.

Last edited:
I agree for rain and storms, lots of cool weather, maybe even Snow? I would love some snow! But I don't agree about having it night time 100% of the time. I like a dynamic day/night cycle.

I agree for rain and storms, lots of cool weather, maybe even Snow? I would love some snow! But I don't agree about having it night time 100% of the time. I like a dynamic day/night cycle.
This isnt Bloodlines, we will have daylight. And i hope there wont be snow, it should be set in summer/autumn seasons with rain and sun during the day.

Last edited:
I agree with you about the snow, but unfortunately, I asked Mike Pondsmith and J about that a while ago and they both effectively said "nope." I.E., it's not a thing in Night City, period.

Cyberpunk in snow would be awesome. Maybe a sequel?

I agree with you about the snow, but unfortunately, I asked Mike Pondsmith and J about that a while ago and they both effectively said "nope." I.E., it's not a thing in Night City, period.

Cyberpunk in snow would be awesome. Maybe a sequel?
Its not gonna look much different than any current IRL city covered in snow tho. And besides, i doubt climate change got better by 2077 so snow might not even be a thing anymore.

<clip> maybe even Snow?
Ummmm ... it's the coastal regions of California, AND there's been global warming, among other ecological, biological, and man-made disasters. You're not gonna see snow except maybe once decade, except in the mountains.

Top Bottom