Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
Heres a direct quote from the Cyberpunk 2020 player's handbook.

"And it always rains. Every day should be grim, gloomy, and overcast. The sun never shines. There are no singing birds, no laughing children. The ozone layer decayed, the sky is full of hydrocarbons and the ocean full of sludge"

Everyone saying "this is Cyberpunk not Blade Runner!" is showing themselves as fools.

It is quite clear you have never actually played the game as written, or paid attention to the art.
A large portion of the art inside the books is set during the day, particularly of the Night City sourcebook. It is not raining. The skies are in fact, for the most part, clear.

Last edited:
Perhaps you just aren't familiar with the source material? I realize a lot of people here are CDProject/Witcher fans and not cyberpunk fans.

"And it always rains. Every day should be grim, gloomy, and overcast. The sun never shines. There are no singing birds, no laughing children. The ozone layer decayed, the sky is full of hydrocarbons and the ocean full of sludge"

That's a direct quote from the players handbook. Apparently wanting the game to look like Cyberpunk 2020 means it's a Blade Runner ripoff haha.

But you are missing the most important and last part of that very paragraph..look close.

*Ok, we are exaggerating but not by much.

Remember a lot of the book and side bars are written by personalities in the game as opinions and quotes.

And I think it breaks the immersion and the atmosphere of the cyberpunk itself. It is really interesting since the original Cyberpunk 2020 /or 2013/ was considered dark.

It would be stupid to claim that "cyberpunk" is just about night, absurd, but I am not happy that the day in Cyberpunk 2077 does not look gloomily enough. It looks just like an ordinary post-apo sci-fi. A happy sunny day in a city. And that's is it. Indoor locations look incredible, the night looks promising (even we didnt see much of the nightlife in Night City) but the day... The day thwarts the whole cyberpunk atmosphere at all.

I know that CD Projekt always wants to do things differently, but I do not think they should have made a difference right there. In my opinion, the atmosphere during days in the cyberpunk genre was much better handled for example in Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner 2049, since it did not interfere with the atmosphere of the night in those movies at all.

Conclusion?
- Please CD Projekt, at least consider making days in Cyberpunk 2077 more sinister, darker and with much less direct sunlight.

I disagree. Why must it be dark and gloomy?
If anything I think having it dark and gloomy as a negative. When I first saw the scene of the city I was totally blown away. The words that came out of my mouth were, " Finally, someone who knows what there doing, now that's how you do it".

When I see what they have done with 2077, the world is so much more interesting and I want to explore it all. All that dark and gloomy, its boring, non-interesting. Merely a distraction in the background. I don't want to explore a boring dark world that I can barely see.

Yes I agree there should be weather conditions, I can't see how a world can function, or the world even survive with out the sun, etc. I am sure the world is fairly bright as its easier when testing and I'm sure there will be a day/night cycle, weather effects. Which I hope they do include. It will give the feeling of a believable, living, functioning city.

When things don't make sense, people can't relate to it, if people can't relate to it, they have no interest.
The key to success is not copying what everyone else is doing, but do what no one else is doing, and do it well.

If it's always dark then there's nothing to compare it to; everything blends together and there is no shock or suspense.
If everything is dull and grey then there are no dark alleys, just alleys. And who is scared of an alley that is like every other alley?

It's dark and depressing in the emotional sense. Anyone who's read Neuromancer knows that Straylight is a beautiful place full of beautiful people - and depressing as hell once you're past the surface.

The "and it always rains, ect" quote that keeps getting brought up is a rant. It's mostly about the emotional feel until that last, sarcastic part. The "and it always rains" part is hyperbole.

It's sunny, sometimes, in Night City. When it is, it's still dark, just not physically.

- Shane

Have you every seen Edward Scissorhands, or Ophan Black? A light scene can juxtapose a grim scenario and the stark contrast only serves to drive the severity of it home.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. Does the sun shine in your world every once in a while? Is there colour in your world? Does that detract from it being completely fucked up sometimes all the time? Same thing applies to Cyberpunk.
Gloomy, dark, mopey, moody... doesn't equal cyberpunk. You shouldn't need all of that to telegraph the audience that the conditions in a dystopia are less than ideal. We've, I hope, long since moved from white-hat-black-hat narratives. People can take it.

Should there be rain and storm in the game?
Yes, just like in Witcher 3
Benkelheim.jpg

I dont want downtown NC to be gloomy. This is Corpo Wonderland, the largest shopping mall under the sun, people live to buy and show off, and live they stupid lives for the stupid things that the corps want them to. Not everyone has to be a punk, if everyone is a punk no one is a punk. This is a consumistic utopia, not Mad Max. Say what you will of corporations, but you cant say that they are inefficient at their job. They are very good, indeed. This is a less tongue in cheek "We happy few" scenario where people live desentized of morals or feelings because they have to show off and "look cool".

I dont want downtown NC to be gloomy. This is Corpo Wonderland, the largest shopping mall under the sun, people live to buy and show off, and live they stupid lives for the stupid things that the corps want them to. Not everyone has to be a punk, if everyone is a punk no one is a punk. This is a consumistic utopia, not Mad Max. Say what you will of corporations, but you cant say that they are inefficient at their job. They are very good, indeed. This is a less tongue in cheek "We happy few" scenario where people live desentized of morals or feelings because they have to show off and "look cool".
Another way that it can be seen, is Having Doom and Gloom, and darkness all the time, can be blinding emotionally.
Seeing the happier side of the city and its inhabitants in one part of the city and time, Like say the shopping Districts In full swing. then at night or in seedier more gloomy spots, makes way more emotional Impact.

Seeing the Acid rain/Thunderstorm, during the day in the Shopping District, and there being very few people during that, will be more effective that way, knowing that just the other day the place was happy and bustling.

Then there is going to the more seedy side gloomier part's of town you can see the impact of that much more clearly, than if everything was always dark and gloomy.

lols of coarse there is day cycle , it would be little moronic if there wasn't.. you like your tropes too much lols. "Cyberpunk must always be dark and gloomy .. everyone sleeps during the day time. its just more emo that way. anyone got a knife I think I need too cut myself. " and im done.

Agree that game needs a sense of contrast in mood( instead of going fulltime with dark and gloomy Bladerunner), but tbh, still prefer the old ( 2013 trailer) aestethic.

Colors look a bit "washed out" here. It's missing that sleek, metallic, reflective wet black vs neon contrast/foundation to it...streets and building are bit "too plain", I guess.

Agree that game needs a sense of contrast in mood( instead of going fulltime with dark and gloomy Bladerunner), but tbh, still prefer the old ( 2013 trailer) aestethic.

Colors look a bit "washed out" here. It's missing that sleek, metallic, reflective wet black vs neon contrast/foundation to it...streets and building are bit "too plain", I guess.
Can we wait for 'Night Time Trailer' or something like that? Cuz if they want to implement full day/night cycle to all NPC it will be BIG THING. So there should be 2 trailer:
-One we got at E3, it shows mostly daytime life
-Second, night one, we should get in the future, maybe it will be combined with "Story/Character" which we will for sure (100%) get at E3 2019.

I think this might be because the only thing we've seen is night city during the day time in full sunlight, we haven't seen any other weathers, no rain, no storms, no windy days, no nights. So it's easy to get the impression this is all that is.

One thing I hope they implement is not just rain, but wicked, booming storms where the wind picks up and puddles appear in the streets. GTA5 does a pretty good job of this.

Last edited:
I don't live in a metropolis with giant buildings. But in winter and in darkness under the right weather conditions - slightly rainy and / or foggy - on a main road where the sky was somewhat "obscured" from view (it was simply dark or foggy-ish in the peripheral view) it suddenly looked very dystopian.

It was like I was in a different time at a different place for a moment. I admired the view I had. Under other conditions and in daylight, it would simply look more bland or normal. Anything but special.

But somehow with changed lighting and weather, it suddenly changes completely. Since you didn't see much or not as clearly above it would also mask the not really huge buildings on the street that had about 2-4 stories on average. The evenly placed street lights with the yellow-ish tint and slight fog all over did the rest.

My point being, or in other words: I can only suggest to those who are sceptic so far: Wait for more videos showing night life in the city.

Of course you can still argue you'd rather see a constant night time and whatnot, but I think I prefer day and night. It makes the night more special and give you some change. If it was the same all the time I fear it could become dull over time. And those who have a preference can later surely use console commands or mods or something to focus on a particular time or weather condition.

Top Bottom