Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
Why would have always gloomy days, it's boring.

I just hope there is dynamic weather.
CD Projekt Red members repeated over and over again since E3 that there's full day/night cycle & dynamic weather but it hurts to make simple research on the game informations cuz potato. You're welcom boi ;)

I see this thread is still very active. Supreme Leader Snoke would have been proud! He would have said: "Darkness rises and the light to meet it."

What a nice, balanced thing to say about the world. Too bad he died while protesting rebel scum...

Make this game too emo and it will die. They have to walk thin line here. Fashion is the name of the key, imho, everybody loves Fashion. Style before purpose like they say in Cyberpunk.

I think CDPR is on point with their dynamic weather choice.
Night City is located at the californian coast, which doesn't strike me as that gloomy.

This is just my humble opinion, California is sunny and nice looking at first, but right beneath the surface is a totalitarian-style morality hellhole. Where people are fake and treat each other like dirt in LA or get high on hard drugs and poop in the streets of San Diego. People should mainly poop in dark places or where there is hay, and once in awhile they should eat it because it is good for you, like carrots.

Hopefully, the night time atmosphere makes up for the daytime...

I agree, but there are a few things that could still make it a visual treat, even at day.

Lighting for one, could be better. Coming RDR really capitalizes on this .

The concrete, streets, buildings could be a bit darker, maybe a little "dirtier", bringing a more color contrast, even at day.

Also more reflective metallic surfaces could help here.

Last edited:
Eh, if they wanted to they could take the Deus Ex Human revolution 'gold filter' and make it a 'bleak' filter and slap that on :p

To quote the movie "The Crow". "It can't rain all of the time."

Well...

In the game it could. With the right mod or console command. It could also be night at will or always night, for those who take Night City more literal.

Rainy or foggy nights will likely become popular.

It's perfect the way it is.
Cyberpunk IS colorful.
How much have you read or followed the genre?? Cyberpunk isn't to be confused with your neon Rave, Glitter Goth cyberpunk. Here is Pondsmith talking about the world.
Post automatically merged:

I think CDPR is on point with their dynamic weather choice.
Night City is located at the Californian coast, which doesn't strike me as that gloomy.
You're confusing the central/ northern coast with the southern. Anything north of San Luis Obispo is very foggy cold and overcast most of the year. The ocean temps tend to hover around 30f / 0c. Night city is a sprawl that is formed when San Francisco and LA metro grow together, this would span modern day Santa Cruz and Monterey. Maybe look up the annual weather trends for cities in the sprawl?? As a California native, I can tell you as it sits the game looks a little too vice city in comparison to the consensus of the genre.

As a note, the claim that we know different things today than acid rain, pollution and nuclear fall out. This same logic would destroy the genre entirely because as of today there are no Japanese megacorps either. Cyberpunk is and always will be an 80's futurist genre, much like the atomic futurism of the 50's and 60's they all have their own aesthetic. Cyberpunk's aesthetic is a high tech low life dystopia where the megacorps have overpowered any sort of government. The rain burns, the sky is red orange from smog and pollution. If we look at cyberpunk with a modern lens and apply our modernity to it; it'll become something else entirely, a sort of neo/retro futurism. Keep this in mind when you comment and try to rationalize changes based off of what we know now; you need to think of this with what we knew then.

http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Night_City

Last edited:
I saw how the day looked like and I dont like it. GTA anyone?
Post automatically merged:

i do not think 2077 can change the sun..

BUT

if they have higher buildings and deeper levels then there is no direct sunlight. i think you want that..
me to. and i think there will be. just not where you live. (i think)

I get the feeling that people are confusing vibrant colors and sunlight as meaning the world somehow isn't dangerous or dystopian, as well as confusing conceptual darkness with literal darkness. The best way to describe the way we saw Night City portrayed in the E3 trailer video and E3 demo video is that it is a Crapsaccharine World. The 'brightness' of the city during the daylight hours covers it with a layer of false hope that makes it believable as a place that people would be convinced into coming to and try to start a new life there - oblivious to the danger.

As the E3 trailer video describes it, it's a city of dreams. A city that always has a promise for you, but that might be a lie or an illusion. You don't get that kind of sense from a city that is visually portrayed as some bleak, bland, dreary, foggy, somehow-always-nighttime crapsack of a place. After all, there is no darkness without light, no despair without hope; you need both in order for it to work.

The entire world isn't Los Angeles. 365 days of sunshine is boring too. It's about realism and also about setting a tone.
And in fact i don't want sunshine 365 days per year. If you readed my message more carefully, you'd notice i want a DYNAMIC WEATHER (aka weather that change and it's not fixed).
Something that thankfully have already been confirmed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom