Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
Its a cliche of the cyberpunk genre. In the real world, the sun still rises, clouds dissipate, and people go on about their lives. Why should eternal darkness and rain be the setting for this game?

I don't think any of us are asking for eternal darkness and rain. It's just frustrating if CP2077 ends up emulating games like GTA 5 or Watch Dogs 2. We've seen it all before, and it isn't very intriguing.

Well they need full environmental effects for this, and TW3 falls short. The engine isn't that great for rain, fog etc/ It was actually better in TW2. Look at RDR2...honestly CDPR has to step it up here.

Guest 4338385

Not that my opinion matters but since a large portion of the media ive consumed in my life contains 'pathetic fallacy' (which is a term used to describe how it always seems to rain when bad things happen in movies etc) It makes me expect a dark environment for a dark game world.

That said, I could go either way with this - Realism is realism, as long as the visuals and detail are decent, I'll be happy - I can already see that thats the case so, again, either way.....

Regardless, in the interest of simply being constructive, there could be visually noticeable smog that could break up the brightness of the daylight... though maybe not so intense as in blade runner which may feel overplayed...

Alternatively, could go the other way and make the light seem almost oppressive - almost how you would feel walking around the city in the peak summer heat. Mirrors edge did this quite well, I thought, for example

Just some random thoughts really..

I don't think any of us are asking for eternal darkness and rain. It's just frustrating if CP2077 ends up emulating games like GTA 5 or Watch Dogs 2. We've seen it all before, and it isn't very intriguing.

This is probably because California is just a popular place to stick gritty stuff. Fallout, GTA, far too many movies to count, Cyberpunk... A lot of stuff focuses on the idea that California has a dark side.

Okay, that's neat. But, I can see how it would get old for some people.

I've not read all 160+ replies as yet, but here's my input:

It's a city, a whole city, and we have seen a very small portion of it during a limited part of the day. There are 6 confirmed districs, each unique with their own style and inhabitants. What we have seen is a residential area, which would be designed to be an advertising playground, because the majority of the citys consumers are going to be clustered there. So it is going to be bright, full of advertising, lights and sounds - and vending machines, theres tons of them in the gameplay.
The people are varied and mostly colourful - punks, rastas, gangers executives, fashion junkies and homeless people. All types and walks of life were on that street, do we want them to look like an army of Agent Smith's? Hell no!

The Matrix was careful to not use too much colour, because of how desperate the situation was, it was a post apocalyptic cyberpunk setting. It worked for the movie. Fallout uses colour in a similar way, again, post apocalyptic. Blade Runner used a lot of bright colours and bright lights, but the rain made a contrast, washing out the colour and detracting from the brightness. Ghost in the Shell and Altered carbon do this the same way. Appleseed is almost entirely in daylight in a bright and clean city, and that suits its purpose, bceause the city is supposed to be an Eden.

Also, it's California! How is it not going to be sunny?

In short, the colour and brightness will be used to show contrast between area's of the city and the people that live there. I am more than sure of this. And it will work amazingly, I have confidence in that.

Well they need full environmental effects for this, and TW3 falls short. The engine isn't that great for rain, fog etc/ It was actually better in TW2. Look at RDR2...honestly CDPR has to step it up here.
That has nothing to do with engines capabilities, high-quality fog and rain in games is demanding.
Witcher 2 was better in that regard because it had small linear environments and at that time they obviously had to cut that for Witcher 3 since it was going open world and they didn't yet know how to optimize it.
The foliage is another example, unmodded it looks better in W2 than W3 for the exact same reason.
Also, Witcher 3 engine is just an iteration(upgrade) of W2s, the engine didn't lose any capabilities, they just had to optimize the game and cut on certain elements at the time.

It's disheartening how a lot of people seems to prefer shit with no colour. I've seen this trend with The Witcher 3 mods, full of bland reshades called "realistic" and "cinematic" where basically the gamma was set to minimum and the colours of the vanilla game almost gone.

What are you even talking about? You saw a pre alpha set during 1 day in-game. Probably they didn't even had the assets for different atmospheric times at the time they filmed the demo.
Post automatically merged:

This ain't Neuromancer.

For those of you focusing on the 2020 books and the like. Its 2077 thats 57 years later and with the tech in this universe who's to say some of that mess hadn't been cleaned up? Best part about creating a universe from someones else version of their world is not having to make it exactly the same. If you make it to the letter the same then you are not getting anything new, just the same old game you have been playing for years. So lets as a community instead of cracking a whip, lets add improvements. Or if you have a dislike then add at least a suggestion on how you would like to see it change, to at least give the devs something to consider. Be creators not destroyers.

Yeah that shit kinda pisses me off a bit. I really hope they don't overdo the saturation, like IO did with Hitman 2. It was just way too colorful, and I don't want that in Cyberpunk.

CDPR has a good aesthetic going on with 2077. Zero problem with their portrayal of day and night so far. Being a California native, they are doing just fine. (I would like to see them capture the oppressive summer heat I'd expect by 2077. It can hit 115+ F in places already)

Looking forward to seeing weather, but have no doubt they will nail it.

not read all the post

but i think the only thing i don't like too much is the oversaturation. Like all the rest :)

To make a great Cyberpunk game, you need :

-Rain.
-Night.
-Fog.
-Chinese writings.
-Neon Lights.

And people doesn't get mad about you. :smart:

Give me something like that and I'll be happy:howdy:
Unbenannt.jpg

Blade Runner is great. But it's so influential that is can constrain our thinking about the entire genre. I'm glad that CDPR is referencing it while still bringing their own originality to 2077.

I bet all the complains will suddenly stop with the next trailer when we also see the city and different districts at night.

While I love Blade Runner it is (for me atleast) not the purest form of the cyberpunk genre. Look at Ghost in the Shell (1995) or Akira. There are a lot of scenes in brought dailight with no rain or clouds.
So this idea that cyberpunk must be rain and fog and night is not really true at all.

I bet all the complains will suddenly stop with the next trailer when we also see the city and different districts at night.

While I love Blade Runner it is (for me atleast) not the purest form of the cyberpunk genre. Look at Ghost in the Shell (1995) or Akira. There are a lot of scenes in brought dailight with no rain or clouds.
So this idea that cyberpunk must be rain and fog and night is not really true at all.
Agreed

They said there will be a dynamic weather system. So some days it might be overcast, raining, foggy. I doubt it's sunny 100% of the time during the day.

Top Bottom