Cyberpunk 2077 Day vs Night and Atmosphere Thread

+

Should there be rain and storm in the game?

• Total voters
Its a cliche of the cyberpunk genre. In the real world, the sun still rises, clouds dissipate, and people go on about their lives. Why should eternal darkness and rain be the setting for this game?
Because in the grim darkness of the far future, there can be only... Oh, wait. Wrong universe.

The reason people expect the lack of sun and perpetual rain to be the norm for CP is because - to them - it seems to be in tune with the bleak, dystopian future the setting is painting. If the future is crap, then the weather should be crap as well. It helps to build and reinforce a certain atmosphere. In the reverse the sun, or dawn, is often used as the metaphore for hope or something good in general.

Because in the grim darkness of the far future, there can be only... Oh, wait. Wrong universe.

The reason people expect the lack of sun and perpetual rain to be the norm for CP is because - to them - it seems to be in tune with the bleak, dystopian future the setting is painting. If the future is crap, then the weather should be crap as well. It helps to build and reinforce a certain atmosphere. In the reverse the sun, or dawn, is often used as the metaphore for hope or something good in general.

Whats more dystopian than police brutality, murder, corporate totalitarianism, and prostitution in broad daylight on a sunny and clear day?

Whats more dystopian than police brutality, murder, corporate totalitarianism, and prostitution in broad daylight on a sunny and clear day?
Police brutality, murder, corporate totalitarianism, and prostitution in broad daylight when it's dark and rains [heavily].

Same complaints as with D3s rainbows...and that wasnt the bad part about the game.

Why do people hate the sun? Not every part of the game has to be dark. Look at Witcher 3, there is glooming Velen and sometimes sunny Velen and then there is gloomy and sometimes sunny Toussaint.

Sunshine doesn't particularly bother me as such, but they could adjust their weather system such that it's rarer than cloudy days. That a bright morning like the one in the demo is actually not a commodity, but more like rarer privilege... "Wow, we can see the sun."

And the NPC's idle chatter might also make note of it.

This would be perfect!

I hope the dynamic weather system is long term and not just a quick rain shower then it turns sunny again. I wanna wake up and click open the shades to see a rainy or sunny day, etc. . . . .

It's worth considering that Night City is in California as well. As someone who has lived here my entire life, torrential rain is uncommon. We don't know exactly how climate change will affect the area by 2077, but my guess would be less rain overall (I had to evacuate from one of the major fires this past year, and these are becoming more frequent.)

What Ridley Scott did with BR was stylish and groundbreaking. It just doesn't reflect what LA is like (which was probably the point.) CDPR shouldn't feel constrained by the wet neon aesthetic. It will be nice to see here and there, but I was glad to see the team making this their own.

If the next evolution of the RedEngine handles rain like it did in TW3 I'd rather have as little rain as possible.
No bigger immersion breaker than completely wet interirous because it's raining outside.

If the next evolution of the RedEngine handles rain like it did in TW3 I'd rather have as little rain as possible.
No bigger immersion breaker than completely wet interirous because it's raining outside.

Where did that happen in Witcher 3?
Post automatically merged:

Rare sunny days? In Cali? I prefer it to be dark only at night and around high rise buildings. Otherwise i just want a general realistic day light setting that reflects the area.

Can we please let go of the ah-so stereotypical "only dark and rainy = cyberpunk" argument already?

Miserable and gritty should come from the stories and happenings around you not only from force fed set pieces.
Watch Dredd or any of the above examples. Is it sunny outside? Yes. Is it all happy? No, it is miserable.
Do Ghost in he Shell's sunny city look non-cyberpunk to you? Because for me it is as CP as it can get (and Night City is very much like that).

It is one damn sunny day in a 48 minute video in a game with full day/night cycles and various weather patterns and all cyberpunk aesthetic is gone?

Come on now...

Exactly. Sunny doesnt mean beautiful if its scorching hot or dry.

Police brutality, murder, corporate totalitarianism, and prostitution in broad daylight when it's dark and rains [heavily].

Not really, these things usually happens more when things are dark, gloomy, rainy and there are less people around.

But when these things are happening under bright daylight around everyday busy crowd, now that's some world going into shit.

Last edited:
Yes, but that doesn't mean the sun can't shine once in awhile. It's California after all and it's not Bladerunner where it's like constant acid rain.

I'm on board with the faction siding with realism; where in a world that darkness exists, the sun still rises. The weather isn't effected by human suffering, and Night City exist in sunny California.
Perhaps interpret the color and sun as spiteful and insulting; to remind the the have-nots in Night City of an empty Hollywood facade promising so much, but actually taking everything, and doing it with a smile.
No need for a YA cliche rainy funeral atmosphere all the time when color and sun can be even more insulting to the underbelly of any society.
... and, just because we see the sun in the demo, doesn't mean there won't be weather. I seem to recall in one interview or release statement mention of weather, so, there's that. :)

Yeaaah...it's actually on the forums here, in the Dev Answers. Arguably making this poll a moot point, actually.

>\What's the weather like? Bright and sunny or?

Aug 29/18 Benzenzimmern: "Hey, we'll have daytime, we'll have nighttime, we'll have sunny days, rainy days, gloomy days, etc.. It's a big game, and we only showed a small slice so far. "

Weather is a huge mood setter so I know why people go for gloomy cyberpunk concepts, but the concept of a cybernetically enhanced world isn't inherently bad. It's meant to be a something that is positive. Don't think you are meant to enter into the game and immediately think it's dark and sinister but something you later see.

I like it for once. I do not like how the science fiction genre is all gloomy, all the time. All the cyberpunk games feel post apocalyptic and dystopian. Cyberpunk plays around a living breathing city. Every city has its trashy areas with derelict buildings and homeless people but it also has very wealthy areas with lots of light, very clean, lots of people, vibrant with lots of activity going on.

Yeaaah...it's actually on the forums here, in the Dev Answers. Arguably making this poll a moot point, actually.

>\What's the weather like? Bright and sunny or?

Aug 29/18 Benzenzimmern: "Hey, we'll have daytime, we'll have nighttime, we'll have sunny days, rainy days, gloomy days, etc.. It's a big game, and we only showed a small slice so far. "

now I was thoughtful about what you said :think:

if it were the red moderators I would say it was a new revelation

I liked it, it seems a vibrant city but with a climatic change caused by the pollution of the cyberpunk world it was dark as we met that genre, I liked it and it would last for days, it would have to change something in the game types some psychotic NPCs get more agitated or traffickers the city would be more dangerous, of course also in points that the city was quiet these days would be dark

Top Bottom